Rate This Thread - Russell 2018.


Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-15-2018, 04:44 PM
WILDCAT NATION's Avatar
WILDCAT NATION WILDCAT NATION is offline
Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the pressbox
Posts: 1,084
Likes: 238
Liked 157 Times in 122 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
Default Russell 2018
Thoughts and predictions?
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

  #2  
Old 03-20-2018, 03:42 PM
Fred Sanford Fred Sanford is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 278
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Fred Sanford is on a distinguished road
Default
Hopefully the Devils can bounce back from their 5-6 season a year ago.
Send a private message to Fred Sanford Add Fred Sanford to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Scotty_Bronson Scotty_Bronson is online now
State Champion

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,639
Likes: 37
Liked 1,314 Times in 972 Posts
Scotty_Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
What do they return?
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-27-2018, 10:02 AM
WILDCAT NATION's Avatar
WILDCAT NATION WILDCAT NATION is offline
Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the pressbox
Posts: 1,084
Likes: 238
Liked 157 Times in 122 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
Default
Conley and Duvall return as the leading rushers. Galloway returns as the leading receiver. But the losses of Church, Brinkman, and Bates along with a couple of offensive and defensive line starters will need to be addressed. Wilburn got reps under center last season and looks to be the starter but line play and overall defense will have to step up. Russell will be ok but will challenged in most games on their schedule. Road games at Greenup, Ashland, and Raceland (all home losses in 2017) will be challenging along with an early home game with Ironton. Fleming Co will take a big step back in 2018 but West Carter and Bath Co look to take steps forward. The final district game of the season will be at Bath County and could be for the district title.

2019 looks to be the season they start to rise a bit in my opinion but they also will add Ashland and Greenup to their district then.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-28-2018, 07:09 PM
THINBLUELINE411 THINBLUELINE411 is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 454
Likes: 26
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Default
Russell has to find a way to achieve some offensive balance and physical play on both sides of the LOS. DEVILS ARE SOFT! Greenup Ashland Raceland and Ironton will all be bad losses if they continue to be SOFT! Russell needs a more conventional scheme. You can think what you want of me but you know I am right! I donít look for anything to change though Maynard is too bull headed and stubborn to admit his shortcomings, his solution is to blame seniors and cut kids(which he openly did last year on the post game!).Russell is 5-5 maybe 6-5 at best next year. Once Ashland and Greenup drop down unless changes are made Russell will never win that district! MARK MY WORDS IN MARCH! If Russell has another losing season and fails to win this sorry soft weak district again someone over there on Red Devil Hill needs to take a hard look in the mirror!! The current state of our proud beloved tradition at Russell is an embarrassment to all us who helped make people fear coming to Flatwoods on Friday nights!
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2018, 07:38 PM
nekysportsfan nekysportsfan is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 269
Likes: 7
Liked 86 Times in 68 Posts
nekysportsfan is on a distinguished road
Default
Speedster Landon Duvall is the top returner for Russell in this transition year. Do they go more with the seniors like Duvall and Wilburn at QB or do they start turning things over to what is a very talented sophomore backfield of Nathan Conley, younger brother of Nick, Ethan Sharp, and QB Charlie Jachimczuk? Junior Malakai Anderson is another player who will be expected to contribute on both sides of the ball. Russell should still win their district as it is very weak, but I've thought that the past few seasons and they've had some unexpected losses and made things more difficult than they should have been. Greenup, Ashland, and Raceland will all be losses this season. Russell is one year away from returning to the Russell of old.
Send a private message to nekysportsfan Add nekysportsfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-2018, 11:43 PM
DarthVader's Avatar
DarthVader DarthVader is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 312
Likes: 101
Liked 113 Times in 75 Posts
DarthVader is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by THINBLUELINE411 View Post
Russell has to find a way to achieve some offensive balance and physical play on both sides of the LOS. DEVILS ARE SOFT! Greenup Ashland Raceland and Ironton will all be bad losses if they continue to be SOFT! Russell needs a more conventional scheme. You can think what you want of me but you know I am right! I donít look for anything to change though Maynard is too bull headed and stubborn to admit his shortcomings, his solution is to blame seniors and cut kids(which he openly did last year on the post game!).Russell is 5-5 maybe 6-5 at best next year. Once Ashland and Greenup drop down unless changes are made Russell will never win that district! MARK MY WORDS IN MARCH! If Russell has another losing season and fails to win this sorry soft weak district again someone over there on Red Devil Hill needs to take a hard look in the mirror!! The current state of our proud beloved tradition at Russell is an embarrassment to all us who helped make people fear coming to Flatwoods on Friday nights!
Scheme is about as conventional as it gets. They run iso, stretch, counter, and trap about 80% of the time..
Send a private message to DarthVader Add DarthVader to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:51 AM
Scotty_Bronson Scotty_Bronson is online now
State Champion

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,639
Likes: 37
Liked 1,314 Times in 972 Posts
Scotty_Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
from the outside looking in, im blown away at the statements of "russell needs to be more conventional" or "we are throwing the ball too much", with that said, Thinblueline, did say they needed more balanced offensive strategy. but, ive heard it, not just on here. but elsewhere. but many of the same people that are calling for more conventional or run first play calling, are the samw ones that were saying Ivan needed to progress with the times. Ivan wasmt changing for anyone. TJ is cut from his cloth. sometimes its just a rough patch. Russell has some really nice atheletes coming up that, imo, are going to flurish in the system. and with the new alignment, i think russell will do the same.
Likes: (1)
DarthVader (07-02-2018)
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2018, 12:52 AM
Scotty_Bronson Scotty_Bronson is online now
State Champion

Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,639
Likes: 37
Liked 1,314 Times in 972 Posts
Scotty_Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by DarthVader View Post
Scheme is about as conventional as it gets. They run iso, stretch, counter, and trap about 80% of the time..
not much has changed with the play calling or the scheme itself. its just out of the apread and not from under center.
Likes: (1)
DarthVader (07-02-2018)
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2018, 10:52 AM
RAMDAD50's Avatar
RAMDAD50 RAMDAD50 is online now
Starter
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,097
Likes: 445
Liked 348 Times in 239 Posts
RAMDAD50 is on a distinguished road
Default
Scotty your talking about a very tough fan base to please.In the Rams third game with Russell....second one at Raceland... toward the end of the game I watched a Russell fan come out of the stands and walk down the track.Walked up behind Ivan and scream .... I think it’s time for a new coach!! Three years removed from the state championship game.Plus they thought they got something when TJ came home!! They are finding out differently!! Hahahah
Send a private message to RAMDAD50 Add RAMDAD50 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-02-2018, 05:16 PM
thecoacher thecoacher is online now
Scout Team
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 568
Likes: 81
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
thecoacher is on a distinguished road
Default
I can't wait until the new alignment in 2019. I get tired of reading all the Red Devil fans post about their "sorry, weak district". I got news for you, I think Bath County is the favorite to win it this year. I hope when they get in the new district, Ashland and Greenup dominate them the next four years!
Send a private message to thecoacher Add thecoacher to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-03-2018, 12:10 AM
RHS RHS is online now
Water Boy
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 19
Likes: 14
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
RHS is on a distinguished road
Default
Keep dreaming itís not gonna happen but youíre right it will tougher than the one they are in now.
Send a private message to RHS Add RHS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:52 PM
THINBLUELINE411 THINBLUELINE411 is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 454
Likes: 26
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by DarthVader View Post
Scheme is about as conventional as it gets. They run iso, stretch, counter, and trap about 80% of the time..
Russell scheme is not conventional. You cannot run the football successfully without tight ends! 5 canít block 8! Why play two safeties against Russell, they couldnít complete a pass to save their lives. I consider comvential as tight ends, fullbacks, and going under center.
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-16-2018, 09:55 PM
THINBLUELINE411 THINBLUELINE411 is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 454
Likes: 26
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by thecoacher View Post
I can't wait until the new alignment in 2019. I get tired of reading all the Red Devil fans post about their "sorry, weak district". I got news for you, I think Bath County is the favorite to win it this year. I hope when they get in the new district, Ashland and Greenup dominate them the next four years!
Listen buddy layoff the gin and juice itís corrupting your judgement. Bath has made vast improvements, but Bath isnít good enough to DOMINATE Ashland or Russell for that matter. In order for Bath to go next level they must actually beat a Russell or Ashland and then get wins in the playoffs. The improvement is that itís at least plausible that Bath could beat Russell and maybe win a playoff game, but they still have yet to do it.
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2018, 10:05 PM
THINBLUELINE411 THINBLUELINE411 is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 454
Likes: 26
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by nekysportsfan View Post
Speedster Landon Duvall is the top returner for Russell in this transition year. Do they go more with the seniors like Duvall and Wilburn at QB or do they start turning things over to what is a very talented sophomore backfield of Nathan Conley, younger brother of Nick, Ethan Sharp, and QB Charlie Jachimczuk? Junior Malakai Anderson is another player who will be expected to contribute on both sides of the ball. Russell should still win their district as it is very weak, but I've thought that the past few seasons and they've had some unexpected losses and made things more difficult than they should have been. Greenup, Ashland, and Raceland will all be losses this season. Russell is one year away from returning to the Russell of old.
My friend for us to return to the Russell of old thatís to say we could beat Belfry. For one to say we could compete and defeat the Pirates at this point is complete blasephmy! I just donít wanna see more talent go to waste due to a defective scheme. Russell has talent coming so if they do not succeed there will be no other excuse but the current regime and I will be to remind everyone of it!
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-2018, 10:33 PM
thecoacher thecoacher is online now
Scout Team
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 568
Likes: 81
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
thecoacher is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by THINBLUELINE411 View Post
Listen buddy layoff the gin and juice itís corrupting your judgement. Bath has made vast improvements, but Bath isnít good enough to DOMINATE Ashland or Russell for that matter. In order for Bath to go next level they must actually beat a Russell or Ashland and then get wins in the playoffs. The improvement is that itís at least plausible that Bath could beat Russell and maybe win a playoff game, but they still have yet to do it.
I didn't say that Bath County would dominate or even beat Ashland. I said they would be the favorites in the district this year.
I did say I hope Ashland and Greenup dominate Russell when they get in their new district in '19.
Likes: (1)
WILDCAT NATION (07-16-2018)
Send a private message to thecoacher Add thecoacher to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-17-2018, 01:03 PM
WILDCAT NATION's Avatar
WILDCAT NATION WILDCAT NATION is offline
Starter
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: In the pressbox
Posts: 1,084
Likes: 238
Liked 157 Times in 122 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by thecoacher View Post
I didn't say that Bath County would dominate or even beat Ashland. I said they would be the favorites in the district this year.
I did say I hope Ashland and Greenup dominate Russell when they get in their new district in '19.
I look for Russell to good this season. They will compete each year. West Carter and Pendleton, yes I said Pendleton, will also be solid in the district this season. I would say Russell is the favorite until someone can prove otherwise.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-17-2018, 10:07 PM
BuckeyeRam BuckeyeRam is online now
Statistician
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 104
Likes: 34
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
BuckeyeRam is on a distinguished road
Default
Russell has some younger skill guys that are very good there o line at the younger level is a ? Mark I wish them the best this year but may be tough season again is burg coming to Russell this year for scrimmage again?
Send a private message to BuckeyeRam Add BuckeyeRam to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:23 PM
GOREDDEVILS's Avatar
GOREDDEVILS GOREDDEVILS is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Flatwoods,Ky
Posts: 7,516
Likes: 70
Liked 191 Times in 153 Posts
GOREDDEVILS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Wheelersburg comes to Russell on August 17th at 7:30 pm for Russell's second scrimmage. Russell will see what they need to work on against Wheelersburg.
Send a private message to GOREDDEVILS Add GOREDDEVILS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-19-2018, 12:38 PM
ashland ashland is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 39
Likes: 29
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
ashland is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by GOREDDEVILS View Post
Wheelersburg comes to Russell on August 17th at 7:30 pm for Russell's second scrimmage. Russell will see what they need to work on against Wheelersburg.
"Everything probably"
Send a private message to ashland Add ashland to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:14 PM
BuckeyeRam BuckeyeRam is online now
Statistician
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 104
Likes: 34
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
BuckeyeRam is on a distinguished road
Default
In Russell's defense the burg would make a lot of teams look like they have a lot to work on atleast them team the burg has this year
Likes: (1)
ashland (07-20-2018)
Send a private message to BuckeyeRam Add BuckeyeRam to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Orange Blaze Orange Blaze is online now
2nd String
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 792
Likes: 235
Liked 358 Times in 238 Posts
Orange Blaze is on a distinguished road
Default
No offense to Russell but the Wheelersburg scrimmage will likely be a game that will show Wheelersburg what they need to work on more than it will for Russell. Wheelersburg is just on a whole other level and Iím not really sure what good can can me from playing a team that will most likely overwhelm you. This also applies to all of the other teams on our side of the river.
Likes: (2)
ashland (07-20-2018), THINBLUELINE411 (07-27-2018)
Send a private message to Orange Blaze Add Orange Blaze to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-20-2018, 01:59 PM
RAM-A-DEVIL's Avatar
RAM-A-DEVIL RAM-A-DEVIL is offline
Asst. Coach
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,821
Likes: 69
Liked 460 Times in 339 Posts
RAM-A-DEVIL is on a distinguished road
Default
scardy cats
Send a private message to RAM-A-DEVIL Add RAM-A-DEVIL to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 AM
THINBLUELINE411 THINBLUELINE411 is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 454
Likes: 26
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Orange Blaze View Post
No offense to Russell but the Wheelersburg scrimmage will likely be a game that will show Wheelersburg what they need to work on more than it will for Russell. Wheelersburg is just on a whole other level and Iím not really sure what good can can me from playing a team that will most likely overwhelm you. This also applies to all of the other teams on our side of the river.
Wheelersburg is physical and uses Tight Ends and a Fullback! Russell will be lucky to get an actual look at themselves for fear of the BURG being in the backfield every single play! Russell has the kids to make life difficult and frustrating for the Burg but not with the current regime running the show! Russell needs to use these scrimmages to develop an offensive identity. The kids need to challenge one and other on defense, Boys we may not win but the Burg will at least know they were in fight! This is where the attitude, intensity, and swagger of old can be reborn!
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-27-2018, 02:52 AM
THINBLUELINE411 THINBLUELINE411 is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 454
Likes: 26
Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Default
The most important thing for the Devils is to be physical! If the devils develop the kicking *** and taking names attitude of old winning will take care of itself! Maybe once again teams will fear coming to Flatwoods on Friday Nights!
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-09-2018, 10:37 PM
Jeepman's Avatar
Jeepman Jeepman is offline
Scout Team

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 532
Likes: 1
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Jeepman is on a distinguished road
Default
My poor Devils need a lot of help.
Likes: (1)
T-CATS (08-12-2018)
Send a private message to Jeepman Add Jeepman to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-10-2018, 08:36 AM
RAM-A-DEVIL's Avatar
RAM-A-DEVIL RAM-A-DEVIL is offline
Asst. Coach
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,821
Likes: 69
Liked 460 Times in 339 Posts
RAM-A-DEVIL is on a distinguished road
Default
Devils need some of those candy holler boys on the team.
Send a private message to RAM-A-DEVIL Add RAM-A-DEVIL to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-12-2018, 02:23 AM
We Hang 8 We Hang 8 is offline
Equipment Manager
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 74
Likes: 14
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
We Hang 8 is on a distinguished road
Default
Russell looked AWFUL tonight against a not very good Rowan team..
Honestly in my opinion they look as bad as they did last season..
Russell will get killed by Greenup if they play anything like they did tonight..Very disappointing 😕
Send a private message to We Hang 8 Add We Hang 8 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-12-2018, 07:34 AM
nekysportsfan nekysportsfan is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 269
Likes: 7
Liked 86 Times in 68 Posts
nekysportsfan is on a distinguished road
Default
I could say a lot of negative things about Russell’s team this year after seeing last night’s scrimmage, but I have a feeling ThinBlueLine411 will cover the situation quite well.
Likes: (1)
THINBLUELINE411 (08-14-2018)
Send a private message to nekysportsfan Add nekysportsfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-12-2018, 10:24 AM
T-CATS's Avatar
T-CATS T-CATS is offline
Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,497
Likes: 648
Liked 210 Times in 177 Posts
T-CATS is on a distinguished road
Default
Sounds like Russell could be in for a long season if they can’t get things turned around.
Likes: (1)
We Hang 8 (08-12-2018)
Send a private message to T-CATS Add T-CATS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Reply

  BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -9. The time now is 09:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.