View Poll Results: Are you in favor of a special event throwback uniform?
YES 5 83.33%
NO 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Rate This Thread - Throwback Uniforms.... Yay or Nay?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:36 AM
"Based on a True Story"

Liked 2,113 Times in 1,455 Posts
Pulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nice
Default Throwback Uniforms.... Yay or Nay?
Not every game or not even every season.... but I think it would be great to see a team break out a throwback uniforms for the football team and cheerleading squad for a special event. I realize the cost would be a big deterrent, but let's say for the sake of argument that all gear is sponsored to no charge to the school or team. Ask the students and fans to dress in older clothing from their school years (if they have any) or even from the time period when the throwback uniforms are from.

So what say you....... Would you be in favor of your team wearing a throwback style uniform? If so, what year and style would said uniform be?

I would love to see my JC team wear the Mustard yellow helmet with black facemask, black jersey with white numerals & lettering and mustard yellow pants.

2016 Class 4A State Champions!!!!!
JOHNSON CENTRAL GOLDEN EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Send a private message to Pulp Fiction Add Pulp Fiction to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:58 AM
Starter
Liked 487 Times in 367 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Not me....for several reasons:

- the old uniforms were not fitted well.

- expensive to buy additional uniforms (as mentioned).

- I like the new gear and uniforms and it's going to be hard to get anyone other than the students be involved in this type of thing.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:03 AM
"Based on a True Story"

Pulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nice
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
Not me....for several reasons:

- the old uniforms were not fitted well.

- expensive to buy additional uniforms (as mentioned).

- I like the new gear and uniforms and it's going to be hard to get anyone other than the students be involved in this type of thing.
New uniforms but same style and color scheme for yesteryear. Not the uniforms from 1986 that have been kept in the equipment closet.

Send a private message to Pulp Fiction Add Pulp Fiction to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
jumpshooter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jumpshooter
I would love this! Estill County used to be dressed head to toe just the the Air Force uniforms in the back in the early 2000's. I personally liked attending games and seeing it. If you don't know what I am talking about, google Air Force Football Uniforms. Lightening Bolt and all!
Send a private message to jumpshooter Add jumpshooter to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Starter
Liked 487 Times in 367 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
New uniforms but same style and color scheme for yesteryear. Not the uniforms from 1986 that have been kept in the equipment closet.
The uniform thing could work if they can be fitted to match the styles of today. However, a true "throwback" tends to look like yesteryear and the form fitting unis might take away from that. The logistics of it would be very difficult to make happen.

In theory, it is a cool idea for the older fans but the players would hate it.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:29 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 6,026 Times in 3,819 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by jumpshooter View Post
I would love this! Estill County used to be dressed head to toe just the the Air Force uniforms in the back in the early 2000's. I personally liked attending games and seeing it. If you don't know what I am talking about, google Air Force Football Uniforms. Lightening Bolt and all!
I LOVED Air Force uniforms in the early 2000s!!! Very very sharp!!!
Old 08-15-2018, 02:48 PM
Head Coach
Liked 800 Times in 585 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Corbin did it once not to long ago for the 75th annual pigskin I believe it was. They went with the old maroon jerseys. It was kinda neat. But Iíd say very expensive for one game
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Starter
Liked 433 Times in 278 Posts
Single Wing 77 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hound05 View Post
Corbin did it once not to long ago for the 75th annual pigskin I believe it was. They went with the old maroon jerseys. It was kinda neat. But Iíd say very expensive for one game
Those were pretty awesome. That was while I was in middle school. I think they sold the jerseys to people a couple weeks after the game to help cover the cost.

I think itís an awesome idea. If money werenít a problem I think any kind of alternate uniforms are cool.
Send a private message to Single Wing 77 Add Single Wing 77 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:29 PM
Statistician
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Big Chief is on a distinguished road
Montgomery County did it in 2007. They wore the purple and gold uniforms of the old Mt. Sterling High Trojans. Individuals from the community sponsored a uniform and they got to keep them after the game.
Send a private message to Big Chief Add Big Chief to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:05 AM
Head Coach
Liked 800 Times in 585 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Single Wing 77 View Post
Those were pretty awesome. That was while I was in middle school. I think they sold the jerseys to people a couple weeks after the game to help cover the cost.

I think itís an awesome idea. If money werenít a problem I think any kind of alternate uniforms are cool.
Corbin already has like 3 uniforms and rumor has it 3 helments. I donít think money is a problem haha
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
jumpshooter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jumpshooter
Originally Posted by Granny Bear View Post
I LOVED Air Force uniforms in the early 2000s!!! Very very sharp!!!
That is exactly how Estill County looked from about 2002-2008. It was nice.
Send a private message to jumpshooter Add jumpshooter to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:45 AM
Lacks the ability to love

Liked 646 Times in 446 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
East Ridge planned on doing a throwback night with uniforms and playing a game at Elkhorn City to honor the 64 state championship team. Never happened though.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:24 PM
Statistician
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
thsrocks is on a distinguished road
I would enjoy it. I would pick the Trinity uniform style frlm 1968...their first state football champonship team. The numbers were "fancier" than any in the past 35 years. There would be NO black anywhere on these jerseys. :-)
Send a private message to thsrocks Add thsrocks to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Hall of Fame

Liked 264 Times in 209 Posts
TheBrahmaBull will become famous soon enoughTheBrahmaBull will become famous soon enough
With school systems already asking more from students as far as supplies and such it is hard for me to see how spending money on throwback uniforms would make sense. Spend the money on supplies for the school room. Use the uniforms the team has. They are good enough. I know that may not be a popular answer, but being financially strapped and a parent seeing these fees and lists from school is sending home is absurd. As a sports fan, I too would enjoy a throwback night, just do not see how under the current financial strain public schools claim they are in, it can be done in good conscience.
Send a private message to TheBrahmaBull Add TheBrahmaBull to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:37 PM
"Based on a True Story"

Originally Posted by Pulp Fiction View Post
Not every game or not even every season.... but I think it would be great to see a team break out a throwback uniforms for the football team and cheerleading squad for a special event. I realize the cost would be a big deterrent, but let's say for the sake of argument that all gear is sponsored to no charge to the school or team. Ask the students and fans to dress in older clothing from their school years (if they have any) or even from the time period when the throwback uniforms are from.

So what say you....... Would you be in favor of your team wearing a throwback style uniform? If so, what year and style would said uniform be?

I would love to see my JC team wear the Mustard yellow helmet with black facemask, black jersey with white numerals & lettering and mustard yellow pants.
Originally Posted by TheBrahmaBull View Post
With school systems already asking more from students as far as supplies and such it is hard for me to see how spending money on throwback uniforms would make sense. Spend the money on supplies for the school room. Use the uniforms the team has. They are good enough. I know that may not be a popular answer, but being financially strapped and a parent seeing these fees and lists from school is sending home is absurd. As a sports fan, I too would enjoy a throwback night, just do not see how under the current financial strain public schools claim they are in, it can be done in good conscience.
Please see Bolded, Italic & underlined section of the original post.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:29 PM
Statistician
Liked 43 Times in 36 Posts
baller1989 is on a distinguished road
I think throwbacks are ok and should only be worn on special occasions. These days, most manufactures can reproduce with the form fitting just as well, so it's all good!!
Send a private message to baller1989 Add baller1989 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Starter
Liked 433 Times in 278 Posts
Single Wing 77 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Real Badman View Post
East Ridge planned on doing a throwback night with uniforms and playing a game at Elkhorn City to honor the 64 state championship team. Never happened though.
I think that would be really awesome. It would be cool if schools that have been formed from consolidation did throwbacks from the schools they were consolidated from. Harlan county doing an evarts, cawood, or Cumberland game once a year would be cool.
Send a private message to Single Wing 77 Add Single Wing 77 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football