Rate This Thread - Open Job: Estill County.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,380 Times in 1,144 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Default Open Job: Estill County
Seen that it was posted on KHSAA this morning. Wow. Big time job with big shoes to fill.

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:45 PM

Any chance any region coaches make the jump to Estill?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:29 PM
Scout Team
Liked 132 Times in 98 Posts
Bulldogs4Ever is on a distinguished road
Word on the street is they are after Beautiful Bobby Ratliff from Perry Central.
Send a private message to Bulldogs4Ever Add Bulldogs4Ever to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldogs4Ever View Post
Word on the street is they are after Beautiful Bobby Ratliff from Perry Central.

Where did you hear that at?

I do wish that the new coach would start hosting a tournament every season.

I can't see David Faulkner leaving Powell County.

I would say a lot of coaches at smaller schools like Jenkins and Jackson City would put in for it to move on up the ladder.

Unless they already have a backup plan, I would say that the new softball coach could possible pull double duty as AD as well. Current AD is suppose to retire next month.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:09 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mountainman16 is on a distinguished road
I would think they would be looking on the Western side of state if they wanted to improve the program..???
Send a private message to Mountainman16 Add Mountainman16 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 PM
Scout Team
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Reds#1Fan is on a distinguished road
No one from the Mountains has a shot at this job.
Send a private message to Reds#1Fan Add Reds#1Fan to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 AM
Scout Team
Why is that Reds fan? How many state titles does Estill have?
Send a private message to Bulldogs4Ever Add Bulldogs4Ever to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Estill has been dominate against the 14th region only 5 losses since coming over back in 2006. It would be hard for anyone in the mountains to come in and continue that tradition.
Send a private message to Strikeout King Add Strikeout King to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Scout Team
Estill is in the business of winning regional championships. No active coach in the 14th has won a regional championship. The old saying of To be the best you got to beat the best is 100% true. No coach in the 14th has found a way to do that come tournament time. Benny Campbell at Wolfe has had a long run of success and has made great improvements to that program but hasn't been able to get over the hump when it counts against Estill. Estill will be looking for a proven coach that can help them get to the next step of winning games at the state tournament.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:50 AM

The only coaches I can see trying to get the job would be Benny Campbell at Wolfe but I doubt he leaves the den.

Bobby Ratliff - Took Perry Central to the regional championship game against Estill this past season. Was suppose to schedule Estill again but that didn't happen so they aren't too happy with that.

April Charles - Jenkins old coach has had some success at beating Estill when she was at Jenkins but she's at the collegiate level now.

Other than those I can't see anyone getting the job from the 14th.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
jumpshooter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to jumpshooter
Originally Posted by Strikeout King View Post
The only coaches I can see trying to get the job would be Benny Campbell at Wolfe but I doubt he leaves the den.

Bobby Ratliff - Took Perry Central to the regional championship game against Estill this past season. Was suppose to schedule Estill again but that didn't happen so they aren't too happy with that.

April Charles - Jenkins old coach has had some success at beating Estill when she was at Jenkins but she's at the collegiate level now.

Other than those I can't see anyone getting the job from the 14th.
I see this being an in-house hire. Not enough jobs to go around with the football coach being hired from out of the county.
Send a private message to jumpshooter Add jumpshooter to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-04-2019, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by jumpshooter View Post
I see this being an in-house hire. Not enough jobs to go around with the football coach being hired from out of the county.
Very well could be but the one thing that might be an issue is they change assistant coaches a lot. They use to have Coach Wood as an assistant but he left when Lindsey graduated and I would say him and Mrs. Wood is fixing to retire. They had Brittany Thomas as an assistant. Now it's Cassidy Flynn and Chad Hunter being assistants.

You never know what to expect at Estill. Especially with the inmates running the asylum...
Old 01-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Cheerleader
If this job is handled the way the football opening was then there is not telling who will get it. Might as well give it to someone from California.
Send a private message to jumpshooter Add jumpshooter to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Water Boy
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Smokescreen is on a distinguished road
The athletes play the game and they love playing softball.
Send a private message to Smokescreen Add Smokescreen to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-04-2019, 08:51 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Someone from California would be awesome since they are way ahead of the game compared to Kentucky..
Send a private message to Mountainman16 Add Mountainman16 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Scout Team
Estill is way ahead of the game because they are so close to Lexington.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:41 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts
The Ole Man is on a distinguished road
Anyone know why the coach stepped down? Well, I imagine the coach stepped down, somehow I can't see her getting fired, lol.
Send a private message to The Ole Man Add The Ole Man to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Gonna throw couple names out there.

Bart Rison and Nathan Ryver (Fleming County's old coach). Not sure if they would have any interest or not. Unless I'm mistaken, Ryver is a teacher at Fleming County and I don't know if Estill has any teaching openings.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Scout Team
Rison is a good coach but donít think he would be a good hire if youíre looking for a coach to coach for several years. He probably wonít want to comment to anything like that. He knows softball though thatís for sure.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Estill is ahead of eastern Ky just because of the tradition that JL Thomas started 30 plus years ago in this county. It has continued with second generation daughters and dedicated parents and coaches to a popular sport in the county. However, they are still very behind in comparison to other parts of the state.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:18 AM
Scout Team
Whats Estills track record in girls basketball? Little behind huh? Fastpitch softball isnt very popular in the 14th region. I dont think theres even much mens slowpitch softball played any more.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Teaching position is available.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Potential Candidates:

Bart Rison - Originally from Estill County. Has coached at Estill as well. Moved to Montgomery County and took over the Indians basketball program as well as the softball program. Retired. Not sure if he would wanna come back and coach again.

Nathan Ryver (Former Fleming County Coach). Currently teaches at Fleming County. Has a history playing against Estill. Knowing Estill's track record and a teaching position available could entice him to make his way from Flemingsburg to Irvine. Only hold up is, Fleming County is his home and his heart and soul.

David Faulkner (Current Powell County Coach): Of course Powell and Estill are in the same district. Estill has had Powell's number since joining the 56th district and 14th region back in 2006. Powell only has 1-2 wins in that span against Estill and none of them have came when it mattered, the district championship and region championship. It's a long shot that this happen, a very long shot. It would just make this rivalry that much more intense and personal.

Brittany Thomas (Former Estill player and Former Estill Assistant Coach): Played at Estill several years ago. Was Shirley's assistant about 4 years or so ago. I think she was an assistant 1 maybe 2 years.

Cassidy Flynn (Former Estill player and Current Estill Assistant): Much like the situation with Brittany Thomas. She's in her 2nd year as an Estill assistant.

Chad Hunter (Current Estill Assistant): Don't know anything about him other than he's a current Estill assistant.

Benny Campbell (Current Wolfe County Coach and Basketball Ref): Benny has brought Wolfe County a long way. I'm not sure if he would make the jump to Irvine or not but is it possible that a teaching spot and/or AD job (that's rumored to potentially be open, as current AD is expected to retire?) be enough to entice him to make the jump? I think it's still highly unlikely that he does.

Kyle Mink (Former North Laurel Coach): Coached at North Laurel for a season or two a few years back. Not sure what he's doing now and not sure if he would even have any interest in the job.

Daniel Rogers (Former Mad Cent coach and current GRC coach): Has a history of playing against Estill. In his second year at GRC Softball. Not sure if he would have any interest in the Estill position since they just built a brand new high school on Boonesborough Road. The 10th region is a little tougher than the 14th region however.

Paul Samples (Lee County Coach): Currently coaching Lee County Softball. Not sure about his coaching history but seems to have Lee County on the up and up.

Danny Marshall (Former Owsley County Coach): According to his record at Owsley, it doesn't look to be a good fit but Estill is a much bigger school than Owsley.

Bobby Ratliff (Current Perry Central Coach): In his second year as the head man at PCC. Took Perry Central to the region championship game last season against Estill County. Only hold up is, they weren't too thrilled with Estill not going to Perry Central this season as part of the agreement that was made?

Brian Foley (Former Mad South and Fred. Doug Coach) Coached at Madison Southern for a long year and had battles with Estill County. Was head coach at Frederick Douglass for a year (I think?). Not sure what he's doing these days.

Someone in-house: I'm not sure who they could get from inside to take the position.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 PM
Scout Team
What is the coaching salary? Is the teachers pay good at Estill?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 AM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by Bulldogs4Ever View Post
What is the coaching salary? Is the teachers pay good at Estill?
Neither are great. Be hard to get a proven coach in there.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:05 PM
Statistician
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
rebounder8 is on a distinguished road
Default New Coach at Estill County
I believe Mark Reece former Scott County coach who lives in Estill County will take the job on interim base, Mark knows the game he lives in Estill County was head coach at 2 Fayette County Schools. Mark will do it for a couple years during the transition...This is my guess ...no facts....just rumors...
Send a private message to rebounder8 Add rebounder8 to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-13-2019, 11:51 PM

Why will it take two years to find a head coach?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 PM

any news?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:41 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fencejumper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Reds#1Fan View Post
No one from the Mountains has a shot at this job.
Nobody from the mountains probably wants the job.....unless they have a helicopter to get there every day.
Send a private message to Fencejumper Add Fencejumper to Your Contacts Top of page
Old 01-21-2019, 04:34 PM
Statistician
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
rebounder8 is on a distinguished road
The girl who was assistant at Madison Central, probably the only one out of the candidates who could coach high school....
Send a private message to rebounder8 Add rebounder8 to Your Contacts Top of page
Closed Thread

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Softball