View Poll Results: Who is the King?
Johnson Central 5 12.50%
Belfry 18 45.00%
Corbin 14 35.00%
Pikeville 1 2.50%
Harlan County 1 2.50%
Other (Specify below in a comment) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Rate This Thread - Who Is the King Of The Mountains For 2017?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:38 AM
Head Coach
Liked 742 Times in 449 Posts
bucslover68 has a spectacular aura aboutbucslover68 has a spectacular aura about
This year”s king of the mountain? Who knows and who really cares...No one won a championship so IMO if you don’t have a crown, you can’t be King...Belfry is the overall King of the Mountains until someone comes close to the run they have been on which probably won’t happen in my lifetime.
BelfryPride (12-07-2017)
Send a private message to bucslover68 Add bucslover68 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 AM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,940 Times in 3,766 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
I know all about the geography of Harlan County and Kentucky, and I'm in a "holler" myself. Whitley County High School is a mountain school , but I don't have to rappel down to the stadium . I hope you don't think I'm taking anything personal on here. lol... I think it really is hard to tell if some teams are mountain teams or not . I think Wayne County is more of a mountain team than Pulaski, but they are not in the coverage area are they ?
I must have misunderstood what you said. And if either of us took ANYTHING on BGR personally, I doubt we'd get back on here!

You COULD rappel down to Harlan County School, if you chose to do so.

As far as who is and who isn't a mountain school, I don't give a poop! As long as you guys keep it clean and don't get into some kind of a pissing contest, all is good!!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 AM
Starter
Liked 425 Times in 272 Posts
Single Wing 77 is on a distinguished road
I find the hypocrisy of this thread hilarious. A bunch of people posting and arguing on here are the same one who were beating their chests last week about not claiming "mythical" titles. If "king of the mountains" isn't a mythical title I don't know what is.
Hound05 (12-06-2017), The Spread (12-07-2017)
Send a private message to Single Wing 77 Add Single Wing 77 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:26 AM
Starter
Liked 201 Times in 159 Posts
HCS is on a distinguished road
Defining the mountains is not that difficult - Regions 13, 14 and 15 in basketball, baseball, softball...
Send a private message to HCS Add HCS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:03 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,321 Times in 2,621 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Granny Bear View Post
I must have misunderstood what you said. And if either of us took ANYTHING on BGR personally, I doubt we'd get back on here!

You COULD rappel down to Harlan County School, if you chose to do so.

As far as who is and who isn't a mountain school, I don't give a poop! As long as you guys keep it clean and don't get into some kind of a pissing contest, all is good!!
I can't argue with that. if a man pees off his porch regularly his school is a mountain school .
Old 12-05-2017, 08:07 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Single Wing 77 View Post
I find the hypocrisy of this thread hilarious. A bunch of people posting and arguing on here are the same one who were beating their chests last week about not claiming "mythical" titles. If "king of the mountains" isn't a mythical title I don't know what is.
I agree.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:27 AM
Starter
Liked 578 Times in 417 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bucslover68 View Post
This yearĒs king of the mountain? Who knows and who really cares...No one won a championship so IMO if you donít have a crown, you canít be King...Belfry is the overall King of the Mountains until someone comes close to the run they have been on which probably wonít happen in my lifetime.
First off, I agree with you, belfry had a good run for a MOUNTAIN team. But I donít get how you can say ďwho really cares?Ē And then name belfry??! If youíre going with no one had a crown then no team, then belfry isnít king either because they donít even have a regional crown. We also arenít talking about who is the best team of the decade, itís THIS year so past years doesnít really matter. But if weíre just gonna throw everything into play, then I donít know why you wonít see a run like that again, trinity, mayfield, beechwood all have had runs like that. You might not see belfry do it again? You also might. I know you were talking about a mountain team doing it, but you also know they were talking about THIS year. But since youíre gonna claim no one cares and it doesnít matter then claim belfry, Iím gonna have to say youíre wrong. While what theyíve done in the past is a truly awesome feat, this year wasnít. So this year the king of the mountain would have to be Corbin. Who went further or had a better season this year?
RunItUpTheGut (12-07-2017), Westside (12-06-2017)
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:39 AM
Head Coach
bucslover68 has a spectacular aura aboutbucslover68 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Hound05 View Post
First off, I agree with you, belfry had a good run for a MOUNTAIN team. But I donít get how you can say ďwho really cares?Ē And then name belfry??! If youíre going with no one had a crown then no team, then belfry isnít king either because they donít even have a regional crown. We also arenít talking about who is the best team of the decade, itís THIS year so past years doesnít really matter. But if weíre just gonna throw everything into play, then I donít know why you wonít see a run like that again, trinity, mayfield, beechwood all have had runs like that. You might not see belfry do it again? You also might. I know you were talking about a mountain team doing it, but you also know they were talking about THIS year. But since youíre gonna claim no one cares and it doesnít matter then claim belfry, Iím gonna have to say youíre wrong. While what theyíve done in the past is a truly awesome feat, this year wasnít. So this year the king of the mountain would have to be Corbin. Who went further or had a better season this year?
Overall not meaning this year...Iím talking about maybe all-time, this last 15 year period...This year several teams went further than Belfry, but no one won a championship....JC and Corbin would be right there for this year. But the gap is pretty thin between any of the top teams IMO.
Send a private message to bucslover68 Add bucslover68 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 AM
Head Coach
Was talking about mountain teams. Why throw Beechwood, Trinity, etc in there. They were weren’t part of the discussion. As for as you automatically saying Corbin, well you have that right to your opinion, but JC went just as far and lost by a thinner margin than Corbin so I say it’s a wash at best between those too. Great years by both of those teams.
Westside (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:50 AM
Head Coach
The only thing that really bugged me about Corbin losing was the fact that Sizemore didn’t get a state championship ring. Kid is a heck of a competitor.
cherokee (12-06-2017), Westside (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DillardC is on a distinguished road
Clay County has to be in the discussion
Send a private message to DillardC Add DillardC to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Statistician
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
AngryMob is on a distinguished road
Did someone say mythical titles????
*corbin busts thru the wall like the kool aid man*
Send a private message to AngryMob Add AngryMob to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Starter
Liked 373 Times in 231 Posts
Willie Turnover is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
I can't argue with that. if a man pees off his porch regularly his school is a mountain school .
Acoording to pjDoug's criteria the following were once Mountain schools.

Frankfort High School was a mountain school from 1979-1983
Winterpark Florida was a mountain school in 1985
Eastern Kentucky University was a mountain school from 1986- 1989
Southwestern has been a mountain school since 1989

we ain't always talking about the back porch either.
Granny Bear (12-06-2017), RunItUpTheGut (12-07-2017)
Send a private message to Willie Turnover Add Willie Turnover to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:45 PM
Starter
Liked 578 Times in 417 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bucslover68 View Post
Was talking about mountain teams. Why throw Beechwood, Trinity, etc in there. They were werenít part of the discussion. As for as you automatically saying Corbin, well you have that right to your opinion, but JC went just as far and lost by a thinner margin than Corbin so I say itís a wash at best between those too. Great years by both of those teams.
I know they arenít. I was making a point. They are not part of the discussion. Just like belfrys past 5 years or overall wasnít. It was 2017 king of the mountain. I could see corbin and JC being a wash. The only reason I went with corbin is JCís loss to belfry and the competition at the state title. Not that we will ever know or matter, but I think corbin would bear JC at a neutral site.
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:13 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by DillardC View Post
Clay County has to be in the discussion
which discussion?
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Willie Turnover View Post
Acoording to pjDoug's criteria the following were once Mountain schools.

Frankfort High School was a mountain school from 1979-1983
Winterpark Florida was a mountain school in 1985
Eastern Kentucky University was a mountain school from 1986- 1989
Southwestern has been a mountain school since 1989

we ain't always talking about the back porch either.

Old 12-08-2017, 03:15 PM
Head Coach
Liked 132 Times in 73 Posts
PHSFAN is on a distinguished road
Since no mountain teams won a state title this season I personally would consider whichever team from the mountains that was the best team in my opinion at the end of the season as the "King of the Mountains."

Therefore my pick is Johnson Central.
Send a private message to PHSFAN Add PHSFAN to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by PHSFAN View Post
Since no mountain teams won a state title this season I personally would consider whichever team from the mountains that was the best team in my opinion at the end of the season as the "King of the Mountains."

Therefore my pick is Johnson Central.
We ran a 35-0 blitz on them...I donít think so.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 PM
Head Coach
Liked 132 Times in 73 Posts
PHSFAN is on a distinguished road
Injuries killed Belfry by seasons end, i just think JC was playing the best football in the mountains when the season ended.
Send a private message to PHSFAN Add PHSFAN to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:11 PM
2nd String
Liked 195 Times in 150 Posts
Gitback Coach is an unknown quantity at this point
I voted Corbin, but JC and Belfry are (were) very close.
Send a private message to Gitback Coach Add Gitback Coach to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:12 PM
Starter
Liked 42 Times in 35 Posts
hchs fan is on a distinguished road
Corbin and Harlan County
Send a private message to hchs fan Add hchs fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:25 AM
BGR Staff

Liked 3,688 Times in 2,051 Posts
EKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really niceEKUAlum05 is just really nice
Originally Posted by hchs fan View Post
Corbin and Harlan County
Love the run HC had to the Semi's but you can't be serious?
Send a private message to EKUAlum05 Add EKUAlum05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DillardC is on a distinguished road
How about Clay County?
Send a private message to DillardC Add DillardC to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:01 AM
BGR Staff

Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by EKUAlum05 View Post
Love the run HC had to the Semi's but you can't be serious?
I think he is being serious, and he has a right to that opinion.

HC beat Corbin in pre-season. Then we suffered massive injuries to a large number of our talented first stringers. This wasn't broadcasted because, let's face it, nobody wants to hear it. Saying that a team lost because of injuries, dilutes the win for the other team and offends them most often times.

We got most of our guys back as evidenced by how deep we went post season; but never got back to the pre-season roster.

Since this is a hypothetical KOM, hchs has every right to say that.

You really should understand that with the situation Belfry faced with Wellman being injured late in the season. That killed Belfry! As it was, I believe HC went one game deeper in post season play that Belfry did. Injuries can break a team; sad but true.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Head Coach

Liked 1,023 Times in 710 Posts
Demarcus ware is on a distinguished road
Without a title coming back to any team from the mountains, this is really a pointless conversation, but since it is the off-season and we need something to discuss, then i think you have to go with the team that went the furthest in the playoffs. To me it comes down to Corbin and JC. Flip a coin from there
Send a private message to Demarcus ware Add Demarcus ware to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Statistician
Liked 58 Times in 41 Posts
HighViz is on a distinguished road

HC beat Corbin in pre-season. Then we suffered massive injuries to a large number of our talented first stringers. This wasn't broadcasted because, let's face it, nobody wants to hear it. Saying that a team lost because of injuries, dilutes the win for the other team and offends them most often times.

We got most of our guys back as evidenced by how deep we went post season; but never got back to the pre-season roster.

You really should understand that with the situation Belfry faced with Wellman being injured late in the season. That killed Belfry! As it was, I believe HC went one game deeper in post season play that Belfry did. Injuries can break a team; sad but true.
Harlan beat Corbin in the preseason? Iím gonna have to research this.
Send a private message to HighViz Add HighViz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:34 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,174 Times in 805 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road

Harlan County did beat a very good Ashland team first game of the season. So, that does make sense. As far as a fan base that would use the injury excuse because they got destroyed in the playoffs, I couldn't possibly think of one.

. . . . . .

Never mind, that Pirate ship has sailed or at least sunk.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Statistician
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
jamesdeane is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HighViz View Post
Let me save you the time as I was at the game. Dont remember the final score, but Corbin won.
Send a private message to jamesdeane Add jamesdeane to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:57 PM
Statistician
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
jamesdeane is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HighViz View Post
http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum...2&postcount=18
Send a private message to jamesdeane Add jamesdeane to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:54 PM
BGR Staff

You guys are absolutely correct. I apologize. I misunderstood something that Hound05 said to me. I definitely wasn't at that game. I was still sick as a dog and home bound.

I wasn't really trying to make a point about that pre season game, just trying to justify hchs fan's vote.

My mistake. His vote doesn't need any justification.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football