Rate This Thread - 2018 KY All Star Roster - No Players from Region 13, 14, 15, 16.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:17 AM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Grannyshot is on a distinguished road
Default 2018 KY All Star Roster - No Players from Region 13, 14, 15, 16
Roster for the 2018 KY All Star game against Indiana was released yesterday. No players from 13, 14, 15, 16 listed. Maybe they should name it Central KY All Star Team.
justthefacts (04-16-2018), Superfly (04-17-2018)
Send a private message to Grannyshot Add Grannyshot to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:17 PM
Statistician
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Explorer is on a distinguished road
Does the 13-16th have anyone worth being on it?
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:18 PM
"Based on a True Story"

Liked 2,124 Times in 1,462 Posts
Pulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nicePulp Fiction is just really nice
Wyatt Battaile from Pikeville should be on every All-State team.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:30 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
TRex34 is on a distinguished road
Wyatt Battaile shouldíve made this team. JR Tackett couldíve potentially made it too. Knox central has Markelle Turner. Corbin had Andrew Taylor. You also had several that couldíve potentially made it from the 14th.
Send a private message to TRex34 Add TRex34 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Statistician
I will answer myself from all state list list.

These were on it and not in the KY/IN game.

Andrew Taylor, Corbin

Wyatt Battaile, Pikeville

Markelle Turner, Knox Central

Deven Stone, Wolfe County

These kids were not on the all state list and are in the game.

Skyelar Potter (Warren Central, Wright State)

Jalen Johnson (Hopkinsville, TBA)

Cameron Cartwright (McCracken County, TBA)

Cooper Robb (Scott County, Charlotte)

Adam Kunkel (Cooper, Belmont)

Markelo Sullivan (Fairdale, Moberly Area Community College)

Pierce Kiesler (St. Xavier, TBA)

Carter Hendrickson (Lexington Christian, North Florida)

MeKell Burries (Newport, TBA prep school)
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:36 PM
Scout Team
Liked 101 Times in 78 Posts
OutsideLookingIn is on a distinguished road
And where all the guys from the 13th thru the 16th going to further their college career? Lots of talent that never make the allstate team, only 88 out of 276 coaches cast their votes.
Send a private message to OutsideLookingIn Add OutsideLookingIn to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Very political as most things in life. They really should not use the term "tryout" and just use open gym and pre-selection. Was informed by very reliable source several made the roster and were NOT at "tryouts" or only part of the "tryouts".. How can a kid be placed on a team when he did NOT "tryout"? things that make you scratch your head?!?!?
Superfly (04-17-2018)
Send a private message to Grannyshot Add Grannyshot to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 90 Times in 71 Posts
The Outsider is on a distinguished road
Taylor from Corbin did not attend the tryouts, not sure why.
Send a private message to The Outsider Add The Outsider to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Statistician
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
K40 is on a distinguished road
Hi there.

Let me clear some things up since I have the facts

Markelle Turner nor Andrew Taylor showed up.

The list was NOT pre-selected under any circumstances. About 12 of the best basketball minds in the state were evaluating these kids based on a very fair system.

The ONLY kid that made the team that did not tryout was Adam Kunkel, who had an uncle die in a car accident just moments before the tryout.

So yeah, he got a pass.

Any more questions?
Send a private message to K40 Add K40 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Scout Team
Liked 94 Times in 43 Posts
J. R. VanHoose is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I will answer myself from all state list list.

These were on it and not in the KY/IN game.

Andrew Taylor, Corbin

Wyatt Battaile, Pikeville

Markelle Turner, Knox Central

Deven Stone, Wolfe County

These kids were not on the all state list and are in the game.

Skyelar Potter (Warren Central, Wright State)

Jalen Johnson (Hopkinsville, TBA)

Cameron Cartwright (McCracken County, TBA)

Cooper Robb (Scott County, Charlotte)

Adam Kunkel (Cooper, Belmont)

Markelo Sullivan (Fairdale, Moberly Area Community College)

Pierce Kiesler (St. Xavier, TBA)

Carter Hendrickson (Lexington Christian, North Florida)

MeKell Burries (Newport, TBA prep school)

I checked the two major papers in the state that name an all-state team. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, three of the kids that you have listed as not on the all-state team, were in fact on one of the three all-state teams.

Skyelar Potter (2nd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/preps/kentucky/2018/04/13/kentucky-all-state-boys-basketball-teams-announced-courier-journal/513528002/

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, five of those you listed as not on the all-state team were listed on one of the three all-state teams they named.

Skyelar Potter (3rd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)
Carter Hendrickson (3rd Team)
MeKell Burries (3rd Team)

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-school/prep-basketball/article206166674.html

Of those four players you listed at the beginning as being on the all-state teams:
Andrew Taylor (1st team selection in both) and Markelle Turner (2nd Team LHL and 3rd Team LCJ) were invited but did not attend the tryouts.

Wyatt Battaile (3rd Team LCJ and not listed on a team in the LHL) and Devon Stone (3rd team selection in both) did attend tryouts but were not selected.
Hambley (05-21-2018)
Send a private message to J. R. VanHoose Add J. R. VanHoose to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Reds#1Fan is on a distinguished road
Well Kentucky might want to look at how they pick the team cause they havenít had much success the last 20 years.
Superfly (04-17-2018)
Send a private message to Reds#1Fan Add Reds#1Fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:32 AM
Statistician
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Superfly is on a distinguished road
Why don't they just put every Seniors name in a hat and then pull 14 names out of a hat. These kids are entitled that didn't show up to the try outs. Who wouldn't want to represent their state in an all-star game???
Send a private message to Superfly Add Superfly to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:44 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
Taylor from Corbin did not attend the tryouts, not sure why.
Too much competition.
Send a private message to Superfly Add Superfly to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:45 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Does the 13-16th have anyone worth being on it?
They have a few worthy
Old 04-17-2018, 12:46 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by K40 View Post
Hi there.

Let me clear some things up since I have the facts

Markelle Turner nor Andrew Taylor showed up.

The list was NOT pre-selected under any circumstances. About 12 of the best basketball minds in the state were evaluating these kids based on a very fair system.

The ONLY kid that made the team that did not tryout was Adam Kunkel, who had an uncle die in a car accident just moments before the tryout.

So yeah, he got a pass.

Any more questions?
We would like to know the source of your "facts" please
Old 04-17-2018, 12:50 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by Grannyshot View Post
Very political as most things in life. They really should not use the term "tryout" and just use open gym and pre-selection. Was informed by very reliable source several made the roster and were NOT at "tryouts" or only part of the "tryouts".. How can a kid be placed on a team when he did NOT "tryout"? things that make you scratch your head?!?!?

Old 04-17-2018, 01:54 AM
Scout Team
Liked 161 Times in 111 Posts
CoachNM0523 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
Why don't they just put every Seniors name in a hat and then pull 14 names out of a hat. These kids are entitled that didn't show up to the try outs. Who wouldn't want to represent their state in an all-star game???
Seniors who have scholarships locked up that they donít want to risk losing on injury. Seniors that want to just relax and enjoy the final 2-3 months of their senior year before they have to show up for basketball again. Some of these kids have breathed, eat, and slept basketball year round for 4-5 years. April to May for most of them is time for Prom, senior trip, senior skip day, graduation festivities, seeing your friends for a couple months before most go off their separate ways. I could for sure see why a kid would wanna get away from basketball before they go commit four more years of their lives to the grind of being a collegiate athlete.
roundballer (05-30-2018)
Send a private message to CoachNM0523 Add CoachNM0523 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 PM
Statistician
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
K40 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
We would like to know the source of your "facts" please
I work for the KABC. I was present..
Send a private message to K40 Add K40 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:03 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 50 Times in 40 Posts
worker1 is on a distinguished road
Was Oumar Keita from Cordia at or invited to tryouts?
Send a private message to worker1 Add worker1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 PM
Statistician
Liked 60 Times in 39 Posts
jmhsrv1970 is on a distinguished road
No
Send a private message to jmhsrv1970 Add jmhsrv1970 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by J. R. VanHoose View Post
I checked the two major papers in the state that name an all-state team. According to the Louisville Courier-Journal, three of the kids that you have listed as not on the all-state team, were in fact on one of the three all-state teams.

Skyelar Potter (2nd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...nal/513528002/

According to the Lexington Herald-Leader, five of those you listed as not on the all-state team were listed on one of the three all-state teams they named.

Skyelar Potter (3rd Team)
Cooper Robb (2nd Team)
Adam Kunkel (1st Team)
Carter Hendrickson (3rd Team)
MeKell Burries (3rd Team)

http://www.kentucky.com/sports/high-...206166674.html

Of those four players you listed at the beginning as being on the all-state teams:
Andrew Taylor (1st team selection in both) and Markelle Turner (2nd Team LHL and 3rd Team LCJ) were invited but did not attend the tryouts.

Wyatt Battaile (3rd Team LCJ and not listed on a team in the LHL) and Devon Stone (3rd team selection in both) did attend tryouts but were not selected.
This is the link I used.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...nal/513528002/

And you sir, are correct. I missed those.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:42 AM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It is what it is.. I just hope that all kids were given a fair shot and not selected (or pre-selected) because of the buddy system. But we all know that coaches are human beings and sad to say this happens. Of the selection "committee" how many players from their regions were selected? The coach had 3 from his region. The coaches selecting the players always discuss and circle players on list before tryouts and the last couple of spots are the only ones kinda up for grab. I just hate to see east KY not represented at all. I have watched lots of basketball across the state and in my opinion, the Battaile kid is a much better all around player than the Penny kid from Anderson. But a coaching friend pointed out that the Penny kid was attending Bellermine which happens to be the venue where the games are being held. Hope this was not a factor..
I think it would be a good idea for the KABC to reach out to HS coaches across the State (not just the same ones in their inner circle) and ask what changes are needed. If not, I think you will see this game fade away because of how it is run or the perception of how we all think it is run. When you have some of the top coaches in State calling it political and telling their kids it is not worth going to, then changes are needed if it is going to continue to go forward.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Scout Team
Liked 115 Times in 84 Posts
Bulldogs4Ever is on a distinguished road
The only kid coming out of the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th regions that was good enough to play on this team was probably Andrew Taylor from Corbin.
Send a private message to Bulldogs4Ever Add Bulldogs4Ever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Suspended
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GreysHeadline is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CoachNM0523 View Post
Seniors who have scholarships locked up that they donít want to risk losing on injury. Seniors that want to just relax and enjoy the final 2-3 months of their senior year before they have to show up for basketball again. Some of these kids have breathed, eat, and slept basketball year round for 4-5 years. April to May for most of them is time for Prom, senior trip, senior skip day, graduation festivities, seeing your friends for a couple months before most go off their separate ways. I could for sure see why a kid would wanna get away from basketball before they go commit four more years of their lives to the grind of being a collegiate athlete.
That is silliest thing I have ever heard, but I am not surprised. Good Try. .....NOT! BANG!! DDE
Send a private message to GreysHeadline Add GreysHeadline to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:35 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by GreysHeadline View Post
That is silliest thing I have ever heard, but I am not surprised. Good Try. .....NOT! BANG!! DDE
DDE is currently not coaching anywhere! BANG! DDE!
Send a private message to CoachNM0523 Add CoachNM0523 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Suspended
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
SwallowedMyWhistle2 is on a distinguished road
"Currently" is the key word. Dont OVER look him on the other side of the Gym!
Send a private message to SwallowedMyWhistle2 Add SwallowedMyWhistle2 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 PM
Suspended
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I could be coming to Corbin, but everyone knows they don't have coaches, they have parents. BANG!! DDE
Send a private message to GreysHeadline Add GreysHeadline to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CoachWMills is on a distinguished road
I am a parent and I paid enough money over the years to earn my child at least half the time on the field.
Send a private message to CoachWMills Add CoachWMills to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by GreysHeadline View Post
I could be coming to Corbin, but everyone knows they don't have coaches, they have parents. BANG!! DDE
I think you just trolled yourself... BANG DDE!!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:09 AM
Suspended
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you just trolled yourself... BANG DDE!!
This is True, I would bring my kids to Corbin, but I cant afford playing time. BANG!! DDE

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Boys Basketball