Rate This Thread - Should we do away with districts?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 10-16-2019, 10:30 AM
Scout Team
Liked 57 Times in 46 Posts
Bolt is on a distinguished road
Default Should we do away with districts?
This has been a topic I've been curious about for some time.
There are obvious hardliners who will beg to keep districts until the end of time, but in my opinion its hurting competetion.

We've all seen it before....a district with 3 or 4 solid teams that inevitably eliminate themselves before region where the said district destroys a bad one.

This has become really clear to me watching volleyball in the 50th district. Before williamsburg decided to pay volleyball (who knows why) corbin and south were in the 50th but the way the geography laid out, whitley fell into the 51st district. They absoloutly dominated the 51st, never losing to schools like knox, bville, and lynn camp. I think it even helped build confidence for the team that won a region. Fast forward to today and wburg decided to start playing. Now Whitley is back in the 50th with corbin and south and one of those three teams are always left at home while schools like bville or lynn camp go to region to get killed.

Except for football, I think this would be the best route in every other sport. Play each team in the region once, and the team with the best region record advance to a playoff. It's really common sense at this point and is the fairest way possible for all sports.
Use the district week to settle one game playoff tiebreakers if needed.
Send a private message to Bolt Add Bolt to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
GotYouInMyScope is on a distinguished road
Maybe the case in volleyball but basketball I disagree.

Williamsburg beat Whitley last season, Barbourville beat Williamsburg and Knox Central won the region. I think as far as basketball goes it makes no sense to do away with districts.
Send a private message to GotYouInMyScope Add GotYouInMyScope to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 112 Times in 78 Posts
FootballFan1999 is on a distinguished road
Would love to see a super regional. Each team in the region plays each other once. Rank them. Top seeds get home playoff game till there's only 8 teams left. Then play your final 8 at a regional host site, whether that's neutral or whether each team takes turns.
Send a private message to FootballFan1999 Add FootballFan1999 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:47 PM
Statistician
Liked 43 Times in 26 Posts
dodger is on a distinguished road
I think the better answer is that every sport outside of basketball should have classes. Go to a three-class system like track and field for sports like volleyball, baseball, softball, etc.
Send a private message to dodger Add dodger to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM
Statistician
Liked 43 Times in 26 Posts
dodger is on a distinguished road
"Before williamsburg decided to pay volleyball (who knows why)"

By the way, this is as stupid of a statement as can possibly be put into a post. The reason why was to give 20-plus kids a chance to play another sport and to grow the game of volleyball. If the justification to sponsor a sport is to win championship, then nobody in the 13th should play volleyball since we're so far behind the Northern Kentucky and Louisville schools.
philbilly2009 (10-17-2019)
Send a private message to dodger Add dodger to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
"Before williamsburg decided to pay volleyball (who knows why)"

By the way, this is as stupid of a statement as can possibly be put into a post. The reason why was to give 20-plus kids a chance to play another sport and to grow the game of volleyball. If the justification to sponsor a sport is to win championship, then nobody in the 13th should play volleyball since we're so far behind the Northern Kentucky and Louisville schools.
It was a pointless move and nothing more than a spending deficit.

Going by your statement, you should at least be in favor of classing all other sports.
Are you saying going 5-20 every years is a good thing?
Send a private message to Bolt Add Bolt to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:50 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I think the better answer is that every sport outside of basketball should have classes. Go to a three-class system like track and field for sports like volleyball, baseball, softball, etc.
That would definitely be better than the current set up but these sports require a lot more games which means traveling to every district opponent. That has to be taken into consideration.

What's wrong with keeping regions the way they are, doing away with districts and seeding the top 8 teams in regional tourneys. Virtually nothing changes except schools wont be able to hang pointless district champion banners. That's the only plus to having districts that I can see.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Liked 1,121 Times in 858 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
How would you all set it up? Through the regular season all the way to state championship game.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:42 AM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by Spud6 View Post
How would you all set it up? Through the regular season all the way to state championship game.
Theres around 16 teams in each region.
You play each team once. Alternate home and away the next year.
That's 15 games that account instead of 3 or 4. Makes the season a lot better and more important.

That also leaves you with plenty of room for non region games. Its only half your schedule.

Take the top 8 teams based on wins and losses from the regular season and seed them 1 through 8.

From there, nothing else changes. The state tourney can stay the same.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 252 Times in 200 Posts
HCS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
Theres around 16 teams in each region.
You play each team once. Alternate home and away the next year.
That's 15 games that account instead of 3 or 4. Makes the season a lot better and more important.

That also leaves you with plenty of room for non region games. Its only half your schedule.

Take the top 8 teams based on wins and losses from the regular season and seed them 1 through 8.

From there, nothing else changes. The state tourney can stay the same.

I think you lose any chance for this happening if you try to take the top 8 teams and leave 8-10 at home without them even playing a game.
The only way it works is if you play play-in games (16 vs 17 or whatever depending on how many teams above 16), then a 16-team girls tournament and a 16-team boys tournament.
Send a private message to HCS Add HCS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 01:32 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by HCS View Post
I think you lose any chance for this happening if you try to take the top 8 teams and leave 8-10 at home without them even playing a game.
The only way it works is if you play play-in games (16 vs 17 or whatever depending on how many teams above 16), then a 16-team girls tournament and a 16-team boys tournament.
That still rewards bad teams. By doing it the way I listed, it takes the best 8 teams and makes the entire season mean something. In this scenario, there are certain current district who wouldn't have a single team ever make it and rightfully so.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:43 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Olderthandirt is on a distinguished road
playing a 16 team schedule that means you have 8 games away. In the 15th for instance you could have East Ridge traveling to Paintsville, JCHS, Martin, Magoffin, Floyd Central, Prestonsburg as examples. The cost of busing goes sky high...the same with any of the teams I mentioned traveling to the schools at the opposite end of the region. Why would you double or triple the cost of fuel for nothing?
Send a private message to Olderthandirt Add Olderthandirt to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:44 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 252 Times in 200 Posts
HCS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bolt View Post
That still rewards bad teams. By doing it the way I listed, it takes the best 8 teams and makes the entire season mean something. In this scenario, there are certain current district who wouldn't have a single team ever make it and rightfully so.

You do know member schools have to vote to make changes of this type?
At least my idea has a chance to pass. Why would any of these bad teams ever vote for a plan that would not let them play in the postseason?
Send a private message to HCS Add HCS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 07:14 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by Olderthandirt View Post
playing a 16 team schedule that means you have 8 games away. In the 15th for instance you could have East Ridge traveling to Paintsville, JCHS, Martin, Magoffin, Floyd Central, Prestonsburg as examples. The cost of busing goes sky high...the same with any of the teams I mentioned traveling to the schools at the opposite end of the region. Why would you double or triple the cost of fuel for nothing?
Are you seriously saying they aren't already playing 3 or 4 games a year that they bus away longer than that? I don't think any region opponent would be too far away for a single game. I think 8 region road trips a year is perfectly reasonable.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:16 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by HCS View Post
You do know member schools have to vote to make changes of this type?
At least my idea has a chance to pass. Why would any of these bad teams ever vote for a plan that would not let them play in the postseason?
Of course, this is only hypothetical.
Schools, especially small schools will never vote for this. It's why we still have the ridicolous blind draw in some districts.

BUT, there may be one or two region teams out there that could get everyone to go along with this.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:28 PM
Water Boy
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
9Lives is on a distinguished road
Will Basketball ever go class system?
Send a private message to 9Lives Add 9Lives to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 06:10 PM
Statistician
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Hambley is on a distinguished road
Super regional is a TERRIBLE idea. Half the teams shouldn’t be there and where the 15th region is played at the Expo it wouldn’t be CLOSE to a district tournament atmosphere in a high school gym. Really even the first round is pretty sad crowd wise.
Send a private message to Hambley Add Hambley to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:03 PM
Head Coach
Liked 592 Times in 426 Posts
RAM-A-DEVIL is on a distinguished road
I would say we will see the RPI thing in basketball and baseball before it’s over
Blackcatdad (10-28-2019)
Send a private message to RAM-A-DEVIL Add RAM-A-DEVIL to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 08:32 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Dr. X is on a distinguished road
Yes, like the idea of the super region.
Send a private message to Dr. X Add Dr. X to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:16 PM
Starter
Liked 241 Times in 175 Posts
Craze JACKET man is on a distinguished road
Nope, Kentucky has a special high school basketball tournament and should never touch it..
Send a private message to Craze JACKET man Add Craze JACKET man to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:11 PM
Statistician
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
eky.sports.fan is on a distinguished road
I do not understand the advantage of abolishing Districts - I mean if you go to any high school basketball District Championship game in Kentucky, there will be a big crowd, a rowdy student section and a good game! By allowing both winner and runner-up to advance to the region, both teams know they still have a shot to go to state regardless of the outcome of the game, but also know that winners play losers in region, so there path should be easier if they win district. so, it makes for a great game with some pressure but not the lose and your out mentality. I do think that all districts should seed and the KHSAA should mandate that.
Send a private message to eky.sports.fan Add eky.sports.fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Boys Basketball