Rate This Thread - Advertising questions.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:59 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,018 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
Default Advertising questions
My wife will soon be launching a laser engraving business and we may be interested in advertising on BGR at some point. So, my first question is about how we go about getting advertising rates. We ran a similar business about 10 years ago and were one of the first BGP advertisers but in hindsight, the advertising cost was probably more than the extra business that it brought in.

Among the products that we will be selling, which some members may remember seeing, are laser cut inlaid mirrored acrylic license plates with school mascots, player numbers, etc. We will also be engraving photos on various products made of wood, glass, acrylic (plexiglass), glass, marble, ceramic tile, granite, anodized aluminum, etc. (most non-metals besides PVC).

My second question concerns posting in the BGR Trading Post forum. I looked but did not find a rule against businesses listing items there and I have seen people offer services (computer repairs, for example). Is it permissible to post a few items for salek on the Trading Post, once we open a for-profit business?
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Contact Stardust For Help

Liked 942 Times in 681 Posts
Wildcatk23 has a spectacular aura aboutWildcatk23 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Wildcatk23 Send a message via Yahoo to Wildcatk23
Jarrod seems to be busy the past few weeks. I dont know if you have a facebookm or not but if you do its a easy way to get in touch with him.

http://www.facebook.com/jarrod.compton

Also here is his Email, jmcomp01@gmail.com

If you want i could send him the message on facebook if you dont have one.

If you need anything else let me know.

Send a private message to Wildcatk23 Add Wildcatk23 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
Originally Posted by Wildcatk23 View Post
Jarrod seems to be busy the past few weeks. I dont know if you have a facebookm or not but if you do its a easy way to get in touch with him.

http://www.facebook.com/jarrod.compton

Also here is his Email, jmcomp01@gmail.com

If you want i could send him the message on facebook if you dont have one.

If you need anything else let me know.
Thanks, WC. I will give him a few days and then email him if I don't hear from him. I just got my equipment set up and started doing some test runs, so I won't be ready to advertise for awhile anyway.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
Thanks, WC. I will give him a few days and then email him if I don't hear from him. I just got my equipment set up and started doing some test runs, so I won't be ready to advertise for awhile anyway.
Are you going to be doing Wood Engravings?

Send a private message to Wildcatk23 Add Wildcatk23 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:41 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Are you going to be doing Wood Engravings?
Yes. I spent most of the day yesterday experimenting with cutting thin Baltic Birch plywood and engraving photos on it. In the past, we have engraved maple and red alder plaques with photos. For example, we took baby photos and footprints and engraved them with the name of the baby and parents, weight, length, time of birth, etc. Engraving photos into wood requires a lot of patience and some trial-and-error, so most engravers don't do it. People tend to either love or hate wood engravings.

Materials like acrylic, marble, and anodized aluminum give much more consistent results. I spent most of the day Saturday working with granite. Granite is popular but it requires the use of oil paint for best results and I don't have that process perfected yet. I have seen some great work done in granite though, so we are planning to use it a lot.

The laser engraver/cutter that we have will easily cut 1/8" or 1/4" inch thick solid wood. Because of the various glues used, plywood is much tougher to cut, so we will probably limit its use to 3/16" thickness or less. We are also limited to a 12" x 18" x 4" piece size, which is adequate for most engraving work.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:39 AM

Yes. I spent most of the day yesterday experimenting with cutting thin Baltic Birch plywood and engraving photos on it. In the past, we have engraved maple and red alder plaques with photos. For example, we took baby photos and footprints and engraved them with the name of the baby and parents, weight, length, time of birth, etc. Engraving photos into wood requires a lot of patience and some trial-and-error, so most engravers don't do it. People tend to either love or hate wood engravings.

Materials like acrylic, marble, and anodized aluminum give much more consistent results. I spent most of the day Saturday working with granite. Granite is popular but it requires the use of oil paint for best results and I don't have that process perfected yet. I have seen some great work done in granite though, so we are planning to use it a lot.

The laser engraver/cutter that we have will easily cut 1/8" or 1/4" inch thick solid wood. Because of the various glues used, plywood is much tougher to cut, so we will probably limit its use to 3/16" thickness or less. We are also limited to a 12" x 18" x 4" piece size, which is adequate for most engraving work.
Sounds like it would be a great hobby. And making money while doing it sounds nice. Id love to have a engraving made of like a bear with some writing on the wood as well for my father.

Think u could upload some pics of work u was doing? Id like to see it.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:13 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Sounds like it would be a great hobby. And making money while doing it sounds nice. Id love to have a engraving made of like a bear with some writing on the wood as well for my father.

Think u could upload some pics of work u was doing? Id like to see it.
I'd be glad to upload some samples as we make them. As hobbies go, running a laser engraver is a relatively expensive one but it is also tough to jump into the field as a full time business. Most people do laser engraving as part of their business and also own other equipment like vinyl cutters, CNC routers, and dye sublimation (heat press) equipment.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:11 PM

I'd be glad to upload some samples as we make them. As hobbies go, running a laser engraver is a relatively expensive one but it is also tough to jump into the field as a full time business. Most people do laser engraving as part of their business and also own other equipment like vinyl cutters, CNC routers, and dye sublimation (heat press) equipment.
As in Hobby, Something you Love to Do. YOu know what im saying? IM sure you guys enjoy doing it.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:46 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

As in Hobby, Something you Love to Do. YOu know what im saying? IM sure you guys enjoy doing it.
Yes, we enjoy it very much. The cost for entry level lasers is coming down. Two American companies and an Austrian Company dominate the market and offer much better service and support but cheap models from China are quickly closing the gap. Many people are buying Chinese lasers as second machines and as hobby machines. On the low end, the Chinese lasers do not compare on the software side but you can get a decent machine for a few thousand dollars.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Feedback and Support » FAQ, Help, Feedback and Enquiries