Rate This Thread - Security Questions.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM
MOD

Liked 7,782 Times in 5,372 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Default Security Questions
Im wanting to make sure my computer is as secure as it can possibly be with all of the personal info and such on it and i have a couple of questions someone might be able to help me with.

First off I have a wireless router. I want to make sure noone is on it at anytime besides my computer. My security says its WPA2. Is that good, or do i need to change it to one of the other security types? And is that a secure connection for sure?
Secondly, i know how to tap into my router management and see if anyone is logged onto my network or if anyone has been under DHCP clients and by looking at the security log for the network. Is this trustworthy? Can i rely on this to always pick up outside users? Im pretty sure i can but hopefully someone will shed some light and help me out with these questions.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Contact Stardust For Help

Liked 942 Times in 681 Posts
Wildcatk23 has a spectacular aura aboutWildcatk23 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Wildcatk23 Send a message via Yahoo to Wildcatk23
WPA2 Is the newest and My opinion the most Secure. Although a Motivated hacker could disable it in minuted you shouldn't have no worries. It seems like your doing everything to keep up your security.

Send a private message to Wildcatk23 Add Wildcatk23 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:59 PM
MOD

RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Thanks. Im far from a computer whiz and know that no matter what you do, youre never really secure. I think its important if you do any online shopping or buying, you should change credit card numbers on a routine basis.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:47 PM
Admin-a-hater

Liked 2,605 Times in 1,807 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
As long as you aren't running WEP you should be good.
And if you have a way of checking your DHCP logs you can tell if anyone has been on your router.
Does your DHCP log show MAC addresses or just IP addresses?
This stupid router I have just shows IPs
Old 09-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Starter

Liked 576 Times in 342 Posts
laker20 is on a distinguished road
RIUTG,

Router:
WPA2 security is fine, but router's default user/password.
I would also change the routers LAN ip from the default
I would disable DHCP and assign ip addresses manually....better to use
The common ip addresses are 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and 189.xxx.xxx.xxx, so your better off using something different like 194.189.1.xxx

In windows, setup an admin user for updates, software installs, etc Then, make a user account to actually use as your daily account, assign standard user privileges (will differ based on Windows version) to this user account. This will protect you from a lot of the spam ware, virus scripts, key loggers, and stuff that you can get online. I also recommend Avast's free virus scanner.
Send a private message to laker20 Add laker20 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:53 PM
MOD

Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
As long as you aren't running WEP you should be good.
And if you have a way of checking your DHCP logs you can tell if anyone has been on your router.
Does your DHCP log show MAC addresses or just IP addresses?
This stupid router I have just shows IPs
It shows both
I didnt know about it but now i check it daily.
Thanks for the help
Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 PM
MOD

Originally Posted by laker20 View Post
RIUTG,

Router:
WPA2 security is fine, but router's default user/password.
I would also change the routers LAN ip from the default
I would disable DHCP and assign ip addresses manually....better to use
The common ip addresses are 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and 189.xxx.xxx.xxx, so your better off using something different like 194.189.1.xxx

In windows, setup an admin user for updates, software installs, etc Then, make a user account to actually use as your daily account, assign standard user privileges (will differ based on Windows version) to this user account. This will protect you from a lot of the spam ware, virus scripts, key loggers, and stuff that you can get online. I also recommend Avast's free virus scanner.
Ive changed the passwords.
I should be good now when it comes to everything the only thing i havent done is change the ip address but ive been checking the dhcp client list quite often and nothing ever popped up.

I found out the wife gave our password to her friend who is our next door neighbor and thats what was cutting into my usage and stream.
I cut that crap off and now the wife dont even have the password so i know my house is the only one who has this internet on it.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Computers & Electronics » Computer & Windows Help