Rate This Thread - Help!.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:52 AM
MOD

Liked 7,780 Times in 5,370 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Default Help!
Any ideas on how to improve your internet speed so that more than one thing cn be going on the internet at the same time?

For example, when i game online on the ps3 or xbox and the wife is on the computer, i lag and she gets kicked off the net.
This happens everytime.
Could it be from the internet provider i have or from the router i have?
Anyway to improve this?
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,273 Times in 1,057 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Probably a faster internet would help. you may have to ask your internet provider and boost up your speed which it will cost more to get faster internet
Old 11-02-2011, 01:03 PM
MOD

RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
^
I was hoping there would be someway to buy a better router or something.
I think i already have the fastest internet available.
I have cable and the fastest my isp has threw its cable.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 1,016 Times in 792 Posts
LWC is a jewel in the roughLWC is a jewel in the roughLWC is a jewel in the roughLWC is a jewel in the rough
I bought a wireless antennae and it has been wonderful. Then again, I am "borrowing" internet from my neighbor. (They know about it, long story but it was basically offered to me)
Old 11-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,273 Times in 1,057 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
^
I was hoping there would be someway to buy a better router or something.
I think i already have the fastest internet available.
I have cable and the fastest my isp has threw its cable.

I thought getting a faster internet service would help.

I'll talk to my friend later when he get's on facebook and ask him about it, he's a computer genius and see what you can do
Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Starter
Liked 40 Times in 36 Posts
bigben will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by LWC View Post
I bought a wireless antennae and it has been wonderful. Then again, I am "borrowing" internet from my neighbor. (They know about it, long story but it was basically offered to me)
Wow that must be nice
Send a private message to bigben Add bigben to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Admin-a-hater

Liked 2,604 Times in 1,806 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Any ideas on how to improve your internet speed so that more than one thing cn be going on the internet at the same time?

For example, when i game online on the ps3 or xbox and the wife is on the computer, i lag and she gets kicked off the net.
This happens everytime.
Could it be from the internet provider i have or from the router i have?
Anyway to improve this?
Naturally, faster internet would help lol
However, you can look into a few things.

Are you using wireless or wired connections?
*Wired is ALWAYS faster than wireless and wireless can sometimes fluctuate due to what kind of waves are going through the air.

If you are using a wireless router, where is it placed?
*You get the most out of your wireless router when you have it in the center of the room and elevated. A lot of people hook them up in the middle of the ceiling.

If you're using a wired connection....
*Make sure you have good cables. Cheap cables can cause dropped packets and errors on your line that cause data to be late getting from point A to point B.

Do a speed test.
*Your ISP probably has one that you can use but a common one used online is http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Hook straight into your connection with the modem/router that goes into the wall being the only thing in-between the computer and the internet line. Take a look at your download and upload speed compared to what you're paying for. If you aren't getting close to it your ISP may have to do some work on the line.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Admin-a-hater

I just did a speedtest and I'm running 2.37 Mbps down when I pay for 3.0 Mbps down.
That isn't totally horrible for DSL because it is so inconsistent speed-wise....
but it isn't that great.
I'm currently in a high-latency outage in my area.
It causes my internet to be slower than it should be and Windstream to get yelled at a little more than normal.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 AM
MOD

Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
Naturally, faster internet would help lol
However, you can look into a few things.

Are you using wireless or wired connections?
*Wired is ALWAYS faster than wireless and wireless can sometimes fluctuate due to what kind of waves are going through the air.

If you are using a wireless router, where is it placed?
*You get the most out of your wireless router when you have it in the center of the room and elevated. A lot of people hook them up in the middle of the ceiling.

If you're using a wired connection....
*Make sure you have good cables. Cheap cables can cause dropped packets and errors on your line that cause data to be late getting from point A to point B.

Do a speed test.
*Your ISP probably has one that you can use but a common one used online is http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/
Hook straight into your connection with the modem/router that goes into the wall being the only thing in-between the computer and the internet line. Take a look at your download and upload speed compared to what you're paying for. If you aren't getting close to it your ISP may have to do some work on the line.
ive been using wireless with a simple router.
I think the router is fried. my computer isnt even picking up the wireless connection and the only way i can connect to the net right now is to take my ethernet cable out of my router and plug it into my laptop. So right now im havig to use wired because of my router and ive just got the ethernet cable running from my modem to my computer.
Secondly, idk why, but even with my internet wired to the net, my internet keeps going in and out right now. It will sty on for a while and jump back off and ill have to unplug and plug back up which works most of the time before i have to do it again.
My wife called newwave (which is what i have) and they said theyve been having horrible problems in this area as of late and there trying to get it resolved. However, i was having problems with internet speed and lag before she called.
Funy thing is, i wouldnt care to get faster internet today, however, i dont know exactly whats wrong with the equipment i do have.

BTW, my router is setting high up in my living room, where both my game consoles are and my computers are. However, as i said, now i think my routers fried so im going to have to buy a new one anyways. I guess what im trying to say is i definitely know my router is fried, and i want to make sure that it for sure is and not just my internet screwing up before i go buy a new one.

And, im taking the speed test and ill let you know how that turns out.

Thanks for the help zaga and SK. Appreciate it guys.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:25 AM
MOD

lol it said i downloaded at 26.09 mbps
I just redone it though and it said 3.41 mbps which is closer lol
Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 AM
MOD

it said my upload speed was only 0.11 mbps
would that be a problem?
Old 11-03-2011, 03:38 AM
Admin-a-hater

it said my upload speed was only 0.11 mbps
would that be a problem?
Unless you have a T1 line or something your upload speed is always going to be crazy low like that.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 AM
MOD

^
I see.
I just dont understand, with a 3.41 mbps download time, i should be having no problems gaming ad surfing on two different things should i?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:22 PM
2nd String
Liked 184 Times in 143 Posts
NothingTrivial is on a distinguished road
What kind of router are you using? You're only problem may be Newwave, I have service through them too and they are completely awful sometimes, but the are the best of the worst that we can get.
Send a private message to NothingTrivial Add NothingTrivial to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:29 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 933 Times in 725 Posts
vundy33 has a spectacular aura aboutvundy33 has a spectacular aura about
I've never had a problem with my PS3 and laptop on my connection in my room, but, we have T1 internet, lol.

Back home, my sister has Suddenlink, and it's never given me a problem either. Me watching movies on Netflix, girlfriend on my laptop and sister on her laptop never gives me a problem. And that's on a Linksys router.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:18 PM
MOD

Originally Posted by NothingTrivial View Post
What kind of router are you using? You're only problem may be Newwave, I have service through them too and they are completely awful sometimes, but the are the best of the worst that we can get.
Netgear.
The newwave people are coming out tomorrow and after my not so friendly phone call today they have agreed to let me have this month free, give me a new free router and fix any problems i have lol

Ill keep you all updated on what they say tomorrow.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:51 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,018 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
Your upload speed is extremely slow for cable. It is not unusual for the download speed to be several times slower than the upload speed but .11 Mbps is ridiculous, IMO. I just tested my speed and I am getting 10.3 Mbps down and 5.3 Mbps up. This is the fastest service that I have ever had but Verizon's FIOS service just became available and it is at least twice as fast.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:12 AM
MOD

Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
Your upload speed is extremely slow for cable. It is not unusual for the download speed to be several times slower than the upload speed but .11 Mbps is ridiculous, IMO. I just tested my speed and I am getting 10.3 Mbps down and 5.3 Mbps up. This is the fastest service that I have ever had but Verizon's FIOS service just became available and it is at least twice as fast.
Ive always though its just slow because thats all they had, but i think this is ridicolous as you said, and ill know after today what they say.
If its not fixed for good after today, im dropping it.

How much does the verizon deal cost?
I have verizon phones.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:46 PM
MOD

Okay guys, so the newwave guy came out about 3 today.

Im happy to say that they gave me a modem with a router built in and an antenna.
Since he put all of that in then ,it now says i have 54.0 mbps and is working fine.
Im just glad i have the internet back and its working.
I havent tried gaming yet while being on the computer but will tonigh after the game. He did however say that that shouldnt be a problem and i should be able to play as many games and computers at the same time i want without lag and getting kicked off.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help!
NothingTrivial (11-04-2011), Strikeout King (11-06-2011), vundy33 (11-04-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 PM
BGR Staff

So what's better, a higher or lower download speed?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:01 AM
MOD

^
Since he put it my new router for me and set everything up, i can actually game and the wife can be on the laptop at the same time lol.
Its amazing how much of a differnce it made.
One thing that kind of surprised me was he said my wireless card had been turned off.
I didnt do it but he said it happens by itself sometimes or people do it and dont even know it. However, he said it wouldnt have mattered cause my router sucked and was fried, and i hadnt even had it a year.

So once again, thanks everyone for the help.
I honestly couldnt have done it with the help!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 PM
BGR Staff

I was just asking what's faster, a higher or lower number on the download speed? Sometimes the lower the better, but I'm assuming it's higher.

And glad you got your **** squared away. It's really aggravating..
Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 AM
MOD

^
It is higher.
The higher worked better for me.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:17 AM
BGR Staff

Ok, good deal, gracias.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Computers & Electronics » Computer & Windows Help