Rate This Thread - Teddy Smith to Pikeville is Official.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:46 PM
Outta Space Balla

Liked 1,157 Times in 649 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
Default Teddy Smith to Pikeville is Official
He has enrolled. Wish him the best of Luck as a Panther! Glad to have him aboard.

Just wanted to clear up any confusion.

PIKEVILLE PANTHER BASEBALL

2010 15th Region All 'A' Champions
2010 All 'A' Elite 8
2010 59th District Champions
2010 15th Region Champions
2010 KHSAA Final Four

Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Scout Team
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
bball_fan is on a distinguished road
Unless KBA changed the rules this year, he has to play 3 official games with them before he can play at KBA.
thunderkat (02-14-2012)
Send a private message to bball_fan Add bball_fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 PM
Outta Space Balla

Liked 1,157 Times in 649 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by bball_fan View Post
Unless KBA changed the rules this year, he has to play 3 official games with them before he can play at KBA.
Interesting, unaware of this. Maybe he will not be participating if that is the case.

PIKEVILLE PANTHER BASEBALL

2010 15th Region All 'A' Champions
2010 All 'A' Elite 8
2010 59th District Champions
2010 15th Region Champions
2010 KHSAA Final Four

Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Scout Team
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
bball_fan is on a distinguished road
If you knew Coach Holbrook from Johnson Central's name on here, maybe he could clear it up a little bit more for you guys. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure last year they had to play three games before the state tournament so their 8th graders who were playing high school only last year would be eligible. I do remember them contacting us during that time about a game. Get in touch with Coach Johnson and let him know to make sure, Teddy would give them a lot of depth for the state tournament. They would be a load to handle!
Send a private message to bball_fan Add bball_fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Water Boy
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lfsmgr is on a distinguished road
I am curious as to how this has affected his team mates and coaches at Johns Creek. He was definatly their go-to guy, and he did a good job. I'm not knocking anyone here, please don't think that, but what happened to the day where you took your best 5 from say, Johns Creek, Mullins, Pikeville or wherever and you played the best 5 from another place. If you got beat, you worked harder, tried to improve and beat them the next time. Now it seems with a lot of kids, (parents too), if their kid has a little adversity somewhere, or if the don't win enough or whatever, they are ready to move. Again, I realize this may be an unrealistic view, but this is after all, MIDDLE SCHOOL. I didn't see Coach Cal at any middle school game around here this year. I'm certainly not trying to speak for the Smith's as to why he moved, I don't know them personally, I just wish things were different, that's all.
Send a private message to lfsmgr Add lfsmgr to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:08 AM
Asst. Coach
Location: Setting sail with Capt. Morgan and never leaving dry land
Liked 744 Times in 449 Posts
PHSForever is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lfsmgr View Post
I am curious as to how this has affected his team mates and coaches at Johns Creek. He was definatly their go-to guy, and he did a good job. I'm not knocking anyone here, please don't think that, but what happened to the day where you took your best 5 from say, Johns Creek, Mullins, Pikeville or wherever and you played the best 5 from another place. If you got beat, you worked harder, tried to improve and beat them the next time. Now it seems with a lot of kids, (parents too), if their kid has a little adversity somewhere, or if the don't win enough or whatever, they are ready to move. Again, I realize this may be an unrealistic view, but this is after all, MIDDLE SCHOOL. I didn't see Coach Cal at any middle school game around here this year. I'm certainly not trying to speak for the Smith's as to why he moved, I don't know them personally, I just wish things were different, that's all.
Like you, I can't speak for the Smiths either. I can only speculate, but to jump and assume that it may be due to sports only is unfair to him or his family. Perhaps he liked Pikeville better? Or the academics better? Who knows? All we can do is support him and wish him the best, like we try to do with all the kids. I remember the days when you took your 5 best and coached them and put them up against someone elses' 5 best too. Sadly, that's not the norm anymore. But it is what it is, and I wish him (and Johns Creek) the best.
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
region is on a distinguished road
As a parent you do what is best for your kid.

East Ridge has had some success in girls softball, limited in boys basketball.

Phelps has had success in what in the past 10-15 years?

Belfry success in football, volleyball, girls basketball and limited in boys basketball.

Shelby Valley limited in girls basketball and GREAT success in basketball.

Pike Central girls basketball for a while and then what?

Pikeville has in football and limited in basketball.

Why would you send your son to Pike Central or Phelps in this county?
Send a private message to region Add region to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:23 AM
Water Boy
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
lfsmgr is on a distinguished road
yeah, I do wish him the best. Hope he stays injury free and realizes his potential, no matter what that may be in. But like you say, It certainly isn't like it used to be.
Send a private message to lfsmgr Add lfsmgr to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Statistician
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Micro-Brew is on a distinguished road
Pikeville's been pretty good at baseball as well. Pike Central has had some recent football success, but being in the region with Belfry is in most years a no win situation for the Hawks. Good Luck to this young man!!!
Send a private message to Micro-Brew Add Micro-Brew to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM
Belfry Fan

Liked 921 Times in 508 Posts
Belfry0304 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Belfry0304
I don't think the kid moved for academics.

As far as great programs, I think there are two in the county. SVHS Basketball, BHS Football.
Send a private message to Belfry0304 Add Belfry0304 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 63 Times in 44 Posts
region is on a distinguished road
I cannot believe I forgot about Pikeville baseball.

It is fair to say If my son excelled in -

Basketball - SVHS

Football - BHS

Baseball - Pikeville
Send a private message to region Add region to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 37 Times in 30 Posts
Cougar Connection is on a distinguished road
Good luck to Teddy and his family!
I will be watching to see how you are doing.
You guys are top notch in my book!
God Bless You! and Keep You!
Send a private message to Cougar Connection Add Cougar Connection to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Water Boy
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thunderkat is on a distinguished road
Sometimes people are offer bigger and better things to get a child to change schools, for sports reasons. They are not always for the right reasons, why? give up your friends Why? because they are promised a starting position on a basketball team who in Pikeville 8th graders are going to a backseat to this Smith boy. no parent is gonna be happy to have someone come in and take their son's place on the team... I believe the Smith boy should have stay where he was at, because they will play nice for a while then it will be over. he just open up a spot at P/C for some one else... I just hope his brother will think about it before he makes the same mistake... It's not always greener on the other side.....He was an exceptional ball player and person at J/C, but while he was out they still won games... We wish him luck at pikeville, because he is gonna need it....
basketball101 (02-22-2012)
Send a private message to thunderkat Add thunderkat to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
Water Boy
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thunderkat is on a distinguished road
Sometimes people are offer bigger and better things to get a child to change schools, for sports reasons. They are not always for the right reasons, why? give up your friends Why? because they are promised a starting position on a basketball team who in Pikeville 8th graders are going to a backseat to this Smith boy. no parent is gonna be happy to have someone come in and take their son's place on the team... I believe the Smith boy should have stay where he was at, because they will play nice for a while then it will be over. he just open up a spot at P/C for some one else... I just hope his brother will think about it before he makes the same mistake... It's not always greener on the other side.....He was an exceptional ball player and person at J/C, but while he was out they still won games... We wish him luck at pikeville, because he is gonna need it....
bcfan11 (02-15-2012)
Send a private message to thunderkat Add thunderkat to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:56 AM
Scout Team
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
MR. Slate is on a distinguished road
You can not play anyone who is not on the roster that was sent in. Last year I had to play my kids in three games, we played nine. They checked our roster and matched it up when we got to the final 4.
Send a private message to MR. Slate Add MR. Slate to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:52 AM
Asst. Coach
Originally Posted by thunderkat View Post
Why is he "gonna need" good luck at Pikeville? True, there ARE some parents out there who will look at it as someone "taking" their child's spot, but that is true no matter what school you go to when you transfer. No one is "promised" a starting spot, contrary to what you might believe/hear. You still have to earn it on the court in practice and games. In today's day and age, with all the social media available, and the fact that Johns Creek and Pikeville are so close, I don't think he will be giving up his friends. I attended Pikeville while living in the county, and I didn't lose my friends. Don't overreact to a child switching schools, it happens every day.
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:09 AM
Statistician
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Micro-Brew is on a distinguished road
Also I think most Coaches just like the players want to win......So they will play their best no matter the situation.
Send a private message to Micro-Brew Add Micro-Brew to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 AM
Water Boy
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
foriegn flatlander is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PHSForever View Post
Why is he "gonna need" good luck at Pikeville? True, there ARE some parents out there who will look at it as someone "taking" their child's spot, but that is true no matter what school you go to when you transfer. No one is "promised" a starting spot, contrary to what you might believe/hear. You still have to earn it on the court in practice and games. In today's day and age, with all the social media available, and the fact that Johns Creek and Pikeville are so close, I don't think he will be giving up his friends. I attended Pikeville while living in the county, and I didn't lose my friends. Don't overreact to a child switching schools, it happens every day.
True, no one is EVER promised a starting position however, being a coach in Pikeville and seeing how parents react when little Johnny is not playing the amount of time THEY think he should causes conflict. I have seen it firsthand. Parents will talk behind your back not for the good of the team but for nothing more than jealousy of another childs talent, The best players should play period. Mom and Dad are not going to be there when Johnny goes to a job interview and has to stand on his own two feet are they?
Send a private message to foriegn flatlander Add foriegn flatlander to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Asst. Coach
Originally Posted by foriegn flatlander View Post
True, no one is EVER promised a starting position however, being a coach in Pikeville and seeing how parents react when little Johnny is not playing the amount of time THEY think he should causes conflict. I have seen it firsthand. Parents will talk behind your back not for the good of the team but for nothing more than jealousy of another childs talent, The best players should play period. Mom and Dad are not going to be there when Johnny goes to a job interview and has to stand on his own two feet are they?
"Players play, coaches coach, and parents cheer". That's my motto. If parents are going to be like that (and believe me, I know very well how that is, I've seen it first hand too as a coach), then ignore the parents. Communicate with the players about your expectations and then move on. I agree, too many parents coddle their children. I believe a parent SHOULD speak up when they see something wrong happening that is detrimental to the team as a whole (that includes telling people to shut up when they start that stuff), but otherwise, counsel their kids to go to the coach if there is conflict they are unsure of how to handle.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Statistician
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
ifyasmell is on a distinguished road
Is little brother moving as well?
Send a private message to ifyasmell Add ifyasmell to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ranger1k is on a distinguished road
Default Teddy Smith to Pikeville is Official
It has been an absolute pleasure to coach you and Austin for the past three years at JC. I know we as players and coaches have made JC a better program since 6th, 7th and 8th grade teams have been very competitive. I hope you guys are better players but more importantly better young men having played for me at JC. I wish you guys the best no matter where you play in the future. Always remember, "give yourself one second."
Send a private message to Ranger1k Add Ranger1k to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM
State Champion

Liked 976 Times in 582 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Belfry0304 View Post
I don't think the kid moved for academics.

As far as great programs, I think there are two in the county. SVHS Basketball, BHS Football.
LOL at both statements.
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Middle School Sports » Basketball