Rate This Thread - Tailwater fishing back.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Scout Team
Liked 29 Times in 27 Posts
Allsports#1 is on a distinguished road
Default Tailwater fishing back
TAILWATER FISHING BACK
Plans by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to keep boat fishermen out of the tailwaters of Lake Cumberland and Lake Barkley have been thwarted.
Congress recently passed the Freedom to Fish Act, immediately banning the corpsí Nashville Districtís plans announced last year to put a stop to fishing below those Cumberland River dams effective this spring.
The plan also affected waters below Laurel River Lake and Martins Fork Lake, but the greatest impact of the restrictions as far as fishermen numbers go was Cumberland and Barkley.
Anglers have fished those fish-rich waters for decades and were angered by the corpsí plan to stop it.
The Act takes effect immediately and places a two-year moratorium on the proposed restrictions while the Corpsí concerns about safety are worked out.
The Act was introduced and pushed by Senators Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and Lamar Alexander (R-TN), along with Congressman Ed Whitfield (R-KY).
The Act was signed into law this past week by President Barack Obama.
The Corps said when all gates are opened to let water escape from the lakes it can create a reverse flow and might cause some boats to capsize.
Fishermen need to educate themselves about safety and practice it while fishing in the sometimes-turbulent water.
Send a private message to Allsports#1 Add Allsports#1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Hall of Fame

Liked 1,238 Times in 861 Posts
Spirit100 is on a distinguished road
Just saw a great episode on KY AFIELD on fly fishing the tailwaters of Lake Cumberland for trout.

Had a segment on smoking hybrid stripers as well. I'm gonna have to try it some time. Anybody use a smoker to cook fish? If so, what works well?

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Send a private message to Spirit100 Add Spirit100 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:49 PM
All American

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,021 Posts
panther nation is on a distinguished road
I have been fishing in the tail waters of laurel lake for most of my 43 years and have never hand any problems when they open the flood gates. The only time I've ever seen any trouble is when people try to fish from the banks when they open the gates. Water does come up fast and get very dangerous real quick. But as far as a boat goes never seen any trouble, just have to use your head and don't act like a fool.
Send a private message to panther nation Add panther nation to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:51 PM
All American

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,021 Posts
panther nation is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spirit100 View Post
Just saw a great episode on KY AFIELD on fly fishing the tailwaters of Lake Cumberland for trout.

Had a segment on smoking hybrid stripers as well. I'm gonna have to try it some time. Anybody use a smoker to cook fish? If so, what works well?
I know you have to have to make a brine for the fish, haven't tried it myself but I have eaten some really good smoke fish.
Spirit100 (08-05-2013)
Send a private message to panther nation Add panther nation to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » More Sports » Hunting & Fishing