Rate This Thread - Hunting Dog Question.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:48 PM
Statistician
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
LaFlamaBlanca is on a distinguished road
Default Hunting Dog Question
So I am searching for a waterfowl dog, and need help determining which direction I should go. I understand that, ideally, I would purchase a purebred lab as a puppy and train him for the next several months/ years. However, I live alone and work 8-9 hours a day, so getting a puppy doesnt seem like a feasible option at this point. Thus, I am currently looking at adopting a lab between 2-3 years old. Is that to old to begin waterfowl training? Will the dog be reluctant to undertake training at the age? Also, I have been looking around at other dogs, and have discovered a husky-retriever mix. In your opinion, would this dog be sufficient for waterfowl hunting. I understand that huskies typically have an issue with having a hard mouth, but was wondering if it would still retrieve like a lab or not. Any input would be appreciated.
Send a private message to LaFlamaBlanca Add LaFlamaBlanca to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:44 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 1,238 Times in 861 Posts
Spirit100 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by LaFlamaBlanca View Post
So I am searching for a waterfowl dog, and need help determining which direction I should go. I understand that, ideally, I would purchase a purebred lab as a puppy and train him for the next several months/ years. However, I live alone and work 8-9 hours a day, so getting a puppy doesnt seem like a feasible option at this point. Thus, I am currently looking at adopting a lab between 2-3 years old. Is that to old to begin waterfowl training? Will the dog be reluctant to undertake training at the age? Also, I have been looking around at other dogs, and have discovered a husky-retriever mix. In your opinion, would this dog be sufficient for waterfowl hunting. I understand that huskies typically have an issue with having a hard mouth, but was wondering if it would still retrieve like a lab or not. Any input would be appreciated.
An old college buddy has a springer spaniel and he shares it's the best bird dog he has ever had. Just another breed to consider. Here's some additional info I located for you. Good luck and best wishes in the search and let us know what route you ended up going?

English springer spaniel
Don’t let their small size and sweet disposition fool you -- these dogs make excellent hunters. They are known for their high energy, which sustains them through long hunts, and their ability to adapt to a variety of terrain. They have a gentle grip, which is perfect for retrieving birds. As the name suggests, they typically track prey and “spring” to scare the birds out for the hunter to shoot. They are eager to please and make a great family companion.

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Send a private message to Spirit100 Add Spirit100 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:57 PM
All American

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,021 Posts
panther nation is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Spirit100 View Post
An old college buddy has a springer spaniel and he shares it's the best bird dog he has ever had. Just another breed to consider. Here's some additional info I located for you. Good luck and best wishes in the search and let us know what route you ended up going?

English springer spaniel
Don’t let their small size and sweet disposition fool you -- these dogs make excellent hunters. They are known for their high energy, which sustains them through long hunts, and their ability to adapt to a variety of terrain. They have a gentle grip, which is perfect for retrieving birds. As the name suggests, they typically track prey and “spring” to scare the birds out for the hunter to shoot. They are eager to please and make a great family companion.
I don't think they use springer spaniels for waterfowl they are used for upland game fowl.

Living The Dream!!
Send a private message to panther nation Add panther nation to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Statistician
Yeah, I am mainly looking for a waterfowl dog, and thus far haven't had much luck finding one for a reasonable price. I am not expecting to find a fully trained waterfowl dog in a shelter, but would like to find one that has some basic training. If you guys have any leads and can direct me where to look please let me know. Thanks.
Send a private message to LaFlamaBlanca Add LaFlamaBlanca to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:36 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 1,238 Times in 861 Posts
Spirit100 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by panther nation View Post
I don't think they use springer spaniels for waterfowl they are used for upland game fowl.
Good call, completely missed the "water" aspect...

Lab, hands down on, and in, the water!

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Send a private message to Spirit100 Add Spirit100 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Statistician
Yeah I went with a Black Lab. I adopted a 2 year old lab for the Cincinnati Lab Rescue about a week ago and couldn't be happier with the decision. I am beginning to work on training, mainly focusing on "sit" and "hold." He already retrieves very well, and returns to hand almost every time. I will upload a picture when I can figure out how to
Old 10-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Statistician
This is Grizzly, itchin to get in the water.
Attached Images:
File Type: jpg 20140929_173815.jpg (96.4 KB, 6 views)

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » More Sports » Hunting & Fishing