Rate This Thread - Julius Randle Breaks Leg In Opener.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Location: greater is HE that is in ME, than he that is in the world.
Liked 409 Times in 288 Posts
cuppett777 will become famous soon enough
Default Julius Randle Breaks Leg In Opener
Julius Randle breaks leg in debut

Updated: October 29, 2014, 8:03 AM ET

By Baxter Holmes | ESP

Rockets Win And Randle Injures Leg

James Harden scored 32 points, and Julius Randle was carted off on a stretcher in the fourth quarter of Houston's 108-90 win over the Lakers.

Tags: NBA, Houston Rockets, Los Angeles Lakers, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, James Harden, Julius Randle

LOS ANGELES -- Lakers rookie forward Julius Randle, the team's top draft choice in June, broke his right leg midway through the fourth quarter of Tuesday night's 108-90 loss to the Houston Rockets.

More from ESPN.com

A broken leg sidelines rookie Julius Randle -- and the Lakers' plan to develop their next star, J.A. Adande writes. Story

The Lakers said the initial diagnosis by team doctors at Staples Center was a broken tibia. Randle was to undergo further evaluation, and the Lakers said they would provide an update on his status Wednesday.

"It is heartbreaking, because I saw him all summer," coach Byron Scott said. "I saw the work that he was putting in. I saw the progression that he was making, the steps that he was taking to get better. And his first game, he goes down. I don't think anybody in that locker room is happy about the way we played, but we're even more saddened about the fact that we lost one of our young guys."

Randle, the 19-year-old former University of Kentucky standout who was selected seventh overall in June, was driving to the basket when his right foot buckled and he collapsed on the court. Scott said he was told that other players heard a "pop" when Randle went down.

The Dallas native held his leg for several minutes while medical officials tended to him. The Staples Center crowd fell quiet as a stretcher was brought out and Randle's teammates huddled around him beneath the basket. Lakers star Kobe Bryant comforted him and shook his head in disbelief.

"Even for myself, being a veteran and dealing with something like this, it's tough," said Bryant, who missed most of last season with two major injuries. "For him being a 19-year-old kid, it's tough. That's what we're here for. We're here to pick him up and take it day by day."

[+] EnlargeRandle

Richard Mackson/USA TODAY Sports
Julius Randle was carted off the floor after breaking his leg in his Lakers debut Tuesday night.

"It's a fluke injury," he added. "There's nothing you can do about that. He worked extremely hard, he trained extremely hard. Then something like this happens, so you've kind of got to give yourself up to that and control what you can control, and what happens, happens. And now it's on him to control how he handles this."

Randle scored two points on 1-for-3 shooting in 14 minutes. Scott said he spoke with the rookie after the game.

"I just told him to stay strong," Scott said. "Adversity tests the true character of a man. This is some adversity that we're facing with a young guy being out, and obviously, it's something that he's facing. I feel for him. I feel extremely bad for him. He was kind of crying, and I just told him to stay strong and that it's going to make him a better basketball player."

Bryant agreed that losing a lottery pick to serious injury during his debut was a hard blow for a rebuilding franchise.

"I think what this franchise has always been good about doing is surrounding young players with players who have come before," he said. "He has a great cast around him -- myself and James Worthy and AC Green and Magic [Johnson]. We're all here. We'll help him through this. He'll come back a basketball player. That's the goal, is to try to find a silver lining within anything."

Last edited by Midee1; 10-29-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Send a private message to cuppett777 Add cuppett777 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:30 PM
State Champion

Liked 687 Times in 471 Posts
sstack is on a distinguished road
That sucks! Never know when an injury like this can happen; you see why these guys leave early from college.
Send a private message to sstack Add sstack to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:21 AM

Liked 797 Times in 625 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Pained me to see this, but loved seeing how much his teammates had already grew to love him with the sense of worriedness on their faces.
Send a private message to Spud6 Add Spud6 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Water Boy
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
UK Fan 1988 is on a distinguished road
Just a terrible event for him, but at least he is just 19 years old and will have the support and program around him to get him back to where he needs to be. And this most likely puts the Lakers in the position for another high pick in the draft next June, they should have some good young talent for a core again for years to come, just have to figure out how Kobe will still fit into all of it, if he still wants to play with this kind of rebuilding going on. Good luck to Randle and God bless him.
Send a private message to UK Fan 1988 Add UK Fan 1988 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 03:22 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,426 Times in 1,721 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Hate this for Julius. Hope to see him bounce back better than ever.
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 12:11 AM
Moderated member. You need 5 posts without rule violation to be promoted to a full member.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gembusbro212 is on a distinguished road
The new M. Jordan was reborn,,, who is that?? the answer is Julius Randle
Send a private message to gembusbro212 Add gembusbro212 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Retired

Liked 635 Times in 493 Posts
Ballers is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ballers
Let's not get carried away, lol.
Send a private message to Ballers Add Ballers to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Professional Sports » NBA