Rate This Thread - New Floyd Central Coaches​.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 PM
Water Boy
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Jason Spriggs is on a distinguished road
Default New Floyd Central Coaches​
Head - Kevin Spurlock
Assistant - Shawn Hager
Send a private message to Jason Spriggs Add Jason Spriggs to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:06 PM
Water Boy
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Theking123 is on a distinguished road
Let's see what happens!
Send a private message to Theking123 Add Theking123 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Water Boy
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thirsty Dog is on a distinguished road
Why is the football coach the assistant basketball coach? All successful football programs are lifting and working on strength and body conditioning. Looks like some people have no idea what it's going to take to compete in their football district. Sad for the kids. Is the basketball coach going to be assistant football coach. Looks like a money deal to people outside the programs.
Send a private message to Thirsty Dog Add Thirsty Dog to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:28 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 246 Times in 187 Posts
Warthog is on a distinguished road
Good luck to them both
Send a private message to Warthog Add Warthog to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:42 AM
2nd String
Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Matman will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Thirsty Dog View Post
Why is the football coach the assistant basketball coach? All successful football programs are lifting and working on strength and body conditioning. Looks like some people have no idea what it's going to take to compete in their football district. Sad for the kids. Is the basketball coach going to be assistant football coach. Looks like a money deal to people outside the programs.
You can do both. Most successful programs have kids playing two and three sports. Look at JC. Good at everything. Matney coaches football and wrestling. Their best football players wrestle. They all still workout year round.
Send a private message to Matman Add Matman to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:51 AM
Water Boy
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
football-junkie 01 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Matman View Post
You can do both. Most successful programs have kids playing two and three sports. Look at JC. Good at everything. Matney coaches football and wrestling. Their best football players wrestle. They all still workout year round.
Wrestling, football, and weightlifting go hand in hand. Not basketball. You would never see matney coaching basketball or baseball.
Send a private message to football-junkie 01 Add football-junkie 01 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
WinkWinkler is on a distinguished road
Typical Eastern Kentucky. Take care of your college buddies. No athletic hope for the sports program. I am sure the so called powerhouses (Belfry -football, Johnson Central- Basketball) are tickled about these hires. One will probably be the baseball coach as well.
Send a private message to WinkWinkler Add WinkWinkler to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 570 Times in 366 Posts
walterwhite is on a distinguished road
Kevin Spurlock is a nice hire for the boys program. Good guy!
NutterButter (04-05-2017), SportsSportsSports (04-01-2017)
Send a private message to walterwhite Add walterwhite to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Water Boy
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
SportsSportsSports is on a distinguished road
I just don't understand all the negativity. The school isn't even finished and people are already hoping for failure and speaking so negatively??? How about we support our community and this school by building the coaches and players up! It's ridiculous. Let's give people a chance because I think some of us may be eating our negative words later..
Jason Spriggs (05-31-2017), NOTORIOUS2 (04-03-2017)
Send a private message to SportsSportsSports Add SportsSportsSports to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Statistician
Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
Glory Days is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by football-junkie 01 View Post
Wrestling, football, and weightlifting go hand in hand. Not basketball. You would never see matney coaching basketball or baseball.
Mathey does coach baseball. He coached a league team in Johnson Co and also was involved in the 8u and 10u travel baseball teams
Send a private message to Glory Days Add Glory Days to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:52 PM
Water Boy
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
That's not high school
Send a private message to football-junkie 01 Add football-junkie 01 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:47 PM
2nd String
Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Matman will become famous soon enough
That's not high school
No it's not. Now does wrestling make you better at football. Yes. Wrestling makes you better at everything in my opinion. But when Matney is coaching wrestling or when he coached track he was focused on that sport. That's why he hires a strength coach. Of course he stays in the know but he isn't the one running that aspect of the program. He stays involved in every aspect of the school as he can. But yes it is possible to coach more than just football and be successful.
Glory Days (04-01-2017), SportsSportsSports (04-01-2017)
Send a private message to Matman Add Matman to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Water Boy
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Matman View Post
No it's not. Now does wrestling make you better at football. Yes. Wrestling makes you better at everything in my opinion. But when Matney is coaching wrestling or when he coached track he was focused on that sport. That's why he hires a strength coach. Of course he stays in the know but he isn't the one running that aspect of the program. He stays involved in every aspect of the school as he can. But yes it is possible to coach more than just football and be successful.
So Henry will only let teachers be coaches because he doesn't want to pay them and you think he's going to hire a strength coach?
Old 04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Water Boy
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
SportsSportsSports is on a distinguished road
So Henry will only let teachers be coaches because he doesn't want to pay them and you think he's going to hire a strength coach?
Teachers get paid to be coaches as well as anyone else so that's false.
Send a private message to SportsSportsSports Add SportsSportsSports to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:13 PM
Water Boy
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thirsty Dog is on a distinguished road
It looks like all the negativity is really being directed at the district administration, not the hires. People in these two communities have been told for the past two years that this was going to be "The high school" that people in Floyd county never had with every opportunity to be the best academic and atheltic programs in the area. What started out as a project of around $48 million, and with all the change orders, is now running in mid $50 million range, people feel the athletic part is not going to happen. Tax payers are beginning to wonder what did we just build? Then,what was to be an aggressive search for quaility coaches ended up going bust. Not that the hired coaches can't do a great job, but applications didn't pour in from all over for the positions. If they did they didn't get an interview. The process was kept so secret that no one knew anything but gossip and hearsay. A lot of people didn't think that the process was transparent. Football coach is coming in way too late to have any effect on strength and conditioning. There is no track at the new facility. With the aforementioned price tag, why was it left out. People from Floyd has told me that in reality the perception is all the BOE did was build a new ACHS with its location. The negativity started when the property was bought and anything pertaining to the new school was locked up in a secret vault. I'm now hearing the principal will come from an elementary school in the right beaver area. So, let's see how long this story is allowed to spin around until someone either confirms or denies the possibility.
football-junkie 01 (04-02-2017)
Send a private message to Thirsty Dog Add Thirsty Dog to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 AM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Milkcrate52 is on a distinguished road
An absolute Joke of a hire for Floyd Central's basketball team. When you hire someone simply upon them kissing your a** then you won't get any production. He quit on the kids of Allen Central already within the first 3 years working there, he'll do it again. Within the next 2 years there will be a thread on here asking about coaching vacancies and Floyd Central will be one of them.
Send a private message to Milkcrate52 Add Milkcrate52 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:15 PM
2nd String
Liked 110 Times in 90 Posts
basketball101 is on a distinguished road
Why did they go through all this to hire Kevin Spurlock. I don't understand.
Send a private message to basketball101 Add basketball101 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Statistician
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
daredevil4life is an unknown quantity at this point
How and when has Spurlock quit at Allen Central? That doesn't make any sense.
Send a private message to daredevil4life Add daredevil4life to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 AM
Scout Team
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
clipperw is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by daredevil4life View Post
How and when has Spurlock quit at Allen Central? That doesn't make any sense.
When Spurlock returned to Allen Central, he was named baseball coach, but wound up leaving that job after one season. I was guessing that's what milkcrate52 was talking about.
Send a private message to clipperw Add clipperw to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Statistician
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
daredevil4life is an unknown quantity at this point
That doesn't mean he quit on them. He finished the season, then decided to do other things. Nothing wrong with that. That's not quitting.
Send a private message to daredevil4life Add daredevil4life to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Scout Team
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
clipperw is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by daredevil4life View Post
That doesn't mean he quit on them. He finished the season, then decided to do other things. Nothing wrong with that. That's not quitting.

I agree with you. I like the hire of Spurlock. I will miss his show with Mark Martin the WMDJ Facebook page but I look forward to going out to games to cheer he and Floyd Central on.
Broken Play18 (04-06-2017)
Send a private message to clipperw Add clipperw to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Milkcrate52 is on a distinguished road
He made them believe he was going to coach the 2nd year until one week until the regular season started to make them scramble for a coach. That's quitting on them.
Send a private message to Milkcrate52 Add Milkcrate52 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm_4_Sports is on a distinguished road
Shawn Hager is a good person and a GREAT COACH. He is all about the kids and a great role model. Shawn knows football, basketball and baseball
Send a private message to I'm_4_Sports Add I'm_4_Sports to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 02:52 PM
2nd String
Liked 110 Times in 90 Posts
basketball101 is on a distinguished road
I hope Kevin goes well , he was fired from some great schools .
Send a private message to basketball101 Add basketball101 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:11 PM

Liked 781 Times in 611 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Why did they just hire the football coach as an assistant basketball coach as well?
Send a private message to Spud6 Add Spud6 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 PM
Scout Team
Liked 80 Times in 58 Posts
IntheZone is on a distinguished road
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think hager is one of only two coaches not Haywood to win this region since close to 2000. The other being Holcomb.
Send a private message to IntheZone Add IntheZone to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Statistician
Liked 36 Times in 27 Posts
kai is on a distinguished road
Kevin and Shawn both good hires. Kevin will do a good job if all the talent stays. His hire improves their chances of winning the region.
Micro-Brew (04-11-2017)
Send a private message to kai Add kai to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 01:11 PM
Statistician
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Micro-Brew is on a distinguished road
Hager is a solid hire for sure. Spurlock def knows bball and the kids seem to play hard for him, but the question mark with him has been longevity.
Send a private message to Micro-Brew Add Micro-Brew to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 AM
Starter
Liked 81 Times in 72 Posts
hoghead is on a distinguished road
Spurlock is not a very good coach he been let go by some pretty good basketball schools.
Send a private message to hoghead Add hoghead to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
WinkWinkler is on a distinguished road
This is a joke. The South Floyd coach was the 15th Region Coach of The Year this year. Not even considered for the job. I hope that for his sake someone will give him chance elsewhere.
Send a private message to WinkWinkler Add WinkWinkler to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Boys Basketball