Rate This Thread - Documentary On Rodrick Rhodes At Cordia To Be Released.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:52 PM
Statistician
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Buford T Justice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hitter View Post
I'm not pulling for anyone. Buford t justice acts like Alice had nothing to do with anything at cordia when in fact she was the money behind it all. He compares her to Vernon cooper and Greg wells but they donated legally and didn't pay individual players and give them a place to live among other things. I like Alice but let's not be blind to what people do
I never said Alice didn't have anything to do with cordia. She is a strong supporter of the school. But she has no say in the day to day operations of the school. I knew Vernon cooper quiet well I have heard him say it's my money I will do what I want with it. He gave to basketball and football . He did not care about much else that's not to say we wouldn't give but that was his preference. I know he gave kids money to eat on on occasion and various other things. There is nothing wrong with that. If you think Alice Whitaker is paying kids to play ball you are crazy. She has paid out a lot of money down over the years for many families in need on lotts creek. As to the issue of the "dorms" there are lease agreements on file and everyone staying in the "apartments". Anyway all that stuff is in the past and cordia is in much better shape than they have been in in several years.
Send a private message to Buford T Justice Add Buford T Justice to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 233 Times in 181 Posts
fatpatfan is on a distinguished road

It's almost time for the movie bolz. Alice sent over some popcorn to get me started before tomorrow night. She was afraid ole fatpat might come to coal river on an empty stomach, wowza!

#newreleaseonlottscreek More mash taters please!!!
Send a private message to fatpatfan Add fatpatfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Admin-a-hater

Liked 2,614 Times in 1,811 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hitter View Post
I'm not pulling for anyone. Buford t justice acts like Alice had nothing to do with anything at cordia when in fact she was the money behind it all. He compares her to Vernon cooper and Greg wells but they donated legally and didn't pay individual players and give them a place to live among other things. I like Alice but let's not be blind to what people do
Alice is behind the Lotts Creek Community School. The Cordia School is leased by the Knott County Board of Education.

Both schools are in the same building but different entities. There is some overlap, but Buford is generally spot-on with this stuff.
Send a private message to zaga_fan Add zaga_fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:45 PM
Statistician
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Buford T Justice is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
Alice is behind the Lotts Creek Community School. The Cordia School is leased by the Knott County Board of Education.

Both schools are in the same building but different entities. There is some overlap, but Buford is generally spot-on with this stuff.
Actually the lotts creek community schools headquarters are up on the hill Alice does not have an office in the new building. Most all her business is conducted out of the old building and the old Alice slone cabin up on the hill.
Send a private message to Buford T Justice Add Buford T Justice to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:42 PM
Asst. Coach
Ole Fatpat wants to see the uproxy video baby but ole Fatpat be like this looking at coal river grillz menu! Shaba! Hard for a big man to watch a movie without the taters! #menusmoviesarebigmansfavorites More mash taters please!!!
Send a private message to fatpatfan Add fatpatfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:15 PM
Admin-a-hater

I'll yield to Buford on all the specifics.

For the record, I've been watching the documentary and it isn't as much of a hatchet job on EKY as the trailer made it out to be. It's actually really good.

It is NOT favorable in any way to the Knott County Schools administration. Fatpatfan would not approve.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Starter
Liked 290 Times in 215 Posts
The_Rock is on a distinguished road
Watched every episode last night. Really enjoyed watching it. Hated to see Rod let go.
Send a private message to The_Rock Add The_Rock to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Scout Team
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
clipperw is an unknown quantity at this point
I enjoyed it a great deal. I thought it was better than "Last Chance U" was.
Send a private message to clipperw Add clipperw to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:46 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,722 Times in 2,716 Posts
64SUR will become famous soon enough
Awesome Documentary on Cordia and Coach Rhodes and yes I was setting right behind the Cordia bench during the Cordia vs Harlan County game and other game. Thanks for sharing this documentary.
Send a private message to 64SUR Add 64SUR to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:07 AM
Scout Team
Liked 101 Times in 80 Posts
bradc is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see knott county and cordia go their separate ways
Send a private message to bradc Add bradc to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:16 AM
Water Boy
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Jason Spriggs is on a distinguished road
Billy Bob made it on the big screen and he's bringing the mullet back!
Send a private message to Jason Spriggs Add Jason Spriggs to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Hall of Fame

Liked 1,005 Times in 675 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
I've watched the first two episodes and thought they were really good.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Asst. Coach

Just seen on the parkway, wowza!!!

#startedfromthebottomandguesswhatwestillhere More mash taters please!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 07:02 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 1,005 Times in 675 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
As far as Perry Central goes. They were accused of wrongdoing last year and a judge said they did nothing wrong. Have they done something illegal? Again, show me some proof or a judge's order and I will relent. I also stood behind Cordia for a time on here, but when you do wrong you get what's coming to you.

The list of accusations against Cordia in that short period of time is unprecedented. A few of them were not upheld, but most were.

Then, throw in some things like bailing kids out of jail a few times and the incident below - and you can't chalk all of this up to racism.

Punch
I haven't watch all the episodes yet. I did see the episode where the documentary made Buckhorn out to be a dirty, racist team. I obviously am clueless on the reality of the situation. My question is, was this sucked punch included in any of the episodes? I saw where they used some WYMT footage and other outside footage. So, was this included?
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 AM
2nd String
Liked 134 Times in 109 Posts
KentuckyFan35 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Westside View Post
I haven't watch all the episodes yet. I did see the episode where the documentary made Buckhorn out to be a dirty, racist team. I obviously am clueless on the reality of the situation. My question is, was this sucked punch included in any of the episodes? I saw where they used some WYMT footage and other outside footage. So, was this included?
Of course not! If it would have been used they would have said the white players face hit the fist of the black player, which is racist!
Send a private message to KentuckyFan35 Add KentuckyFan35 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
rawlingsfan is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought it could have gone a lot further than it did. Actually thought it made Buckhorn look like a gritty, undersized, less athletic, hard-playing team that had to play that way to compete with Cordia. If the Buckhorn players were trash talking and using the "N" word as some of the Cordia players said in the documentary, then the Cordia boys handled it well...and using that type of language is racist.

It also eluded to a previous time they had played when the Buckhorn player(s) had used that type of language, and coach Rhodes was thankful for an email coach Noble had sent him apologizing for the boys using that language.
Send a private message to rawlingsfan Add rawlingsfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM
2nd String
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
HD28 is on a distinguished road
That documentary is about Rhodes and his attempt at staying relevant. Secret practices? Secret meetings? Shows a lot about his character that he would undermine the coach that way. If his actions are an indication of how he dealt with administration, it's no wonder they fired him. He was told to stay away and could not even do that. You can agree with it or not, but almost all of us have a boss we report to, and he clearly didn't follow the orders he was given.
Send a private message to HD28 Add HD28 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
TaintAnewPat is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HD28 View Post
That documentary is about Rhodes and his attempt at staying relevant. Secret practices? Secret meetings? Shows a lot about his character that he would undermine the coach that way. If his actions are an indication of how he dealt with administration, it's no wonder they fired him. He was told to stay away and could not even do that. You can agree with it or not, but almost all of us have a boss we report to, and he clearly didn't follow the orders he was given.
It wasn't secret from the coach he knew about it it was secret from the knott co board of education.
Send a private message to TaintAnewPat Add TaintAnewPat to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:30 PM
Admin-a-hater

They left that out. For what it's worth, that's from before they started filming the documentary.

And the incident about a Buckhorn player saying the N-word; there is never a good time to use a slur like that, but that player losing his cool was not unprovoked.
It's completely one-sided... that should be documented.
There was one instance where Rhodes says, "All these teams have kids from other states. Perry Central has a kid from Philadelphia. Hazard has a kid from Houston."
They conveniently left out the fact the kid from Houston, Chris Hudson, came from Houston to CORDIA to play for Rhodes before he went to Hazard.

Just understand a lot of it is fabricated and biased.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:12 PM
Statistician
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Willie_Mays_Hayes is on a distinguished road
They left that out. For what it's worth, that's from before they started filming the documentary.

And the incident about a Buckhorn player saying the N-word; there is never a good time to use a slur like that, but that player losing his cool was not unprovoked.
It's completely one-sided... that should be documented.
There was one instance where Rhodes says, "All these teams have kids from other states. Perry Central has a kid from Philadelphia. Hazard has a kid from Houston."
They conveniently left out the fact the kid from Houston, Chris Hudson, came from Houston to CORDIA to play for Rhodes before he went to Hazard.

Just understand a lot of it is fabricated and biased.
And I guess Chris just woke up one morning and said "hey...I believe I want to transfer to Hazard"
That's funny right there....I don't care who you are
Send a private message to Willie_Mays_Hayes Add Willie_Mays_Hayes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:46 PM
Head Coach
Liked 513 Times in 371 Posts
insideinfo is on a distinguished road
I here the next series, may be a tell all on recruiting in the 14th coming soon. Any truth?
Send a private message to insideinfo Add insideinfo to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:50 AM
2nd String
Liked 51 Times in 38 Posts
HD28 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TaintAnewPat View Post
It wasn't secret from the coach he knew about it it was secret from the knott co board of education.
The meeting in Frankfort before the All A was "secret". Did you see Hurt in the room at all?
Send a private message to HD28 Add HD28 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Admin-a-hater

Originally Posted by Willie_Mays_Hayes View Post
And I guess Chris just woke up one morning and said "hey...I believe I want to transfer to Hazard"
That's funny right there....I don't care who you are
No one is oblivious to that fact.
But my point is the documentary made it look like Hazard went down to Houston and brought him in by themselves.

We can get on that Merry-Go-Round and ride all day.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 PM
2nd String
Liked 76 Times in 58 Posts
Creeker is on a distinguished road
I watched the whole series... it was pretty good, but what was/is Rhodes intent by it all? He came to Eastern KY to Cordia, gets a bunch of kids from neighborhoods near his hometown and brings them here and a camera crew to document the whole thing??? If he is that worried about the disadvantaged kids, then why not go to a school there in Jersey or NYC and coach them?
Send a private message to Creeker Add Creeker to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:25 PM
Admin-a-hater

Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
I watched the whole series... it was pretty good, but what was/is Rhodes intent by it all? He came to Eastern KY to Cordia, gets a bunch of kids from neighborhoods near his hometown and brings them here and a camera crew to document the whole thing??? If he is that worried about the disadvantaged kids, then why not go to a school there in Jersey or NYC and coach them?
The camera crew did not show up until several years into his tenure.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:37 PM
2nd String
Liked 76 Times in 58 Posts
Creeker is on a distinguished road
^ Oh Okay, I guess I missed that. I thought he was only at Cordia for 3-4 years and judging by the film they were there pretty early on.
Send a private message to Creeker Add Creeker to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:54 PM
Admin-a-hater

Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
^ Oh Okay, I guess I missed that. I thought he was only at Cordia for 3-4 years and judging by the film they were there pretty early on.
Started in 2011-2012.
The documentary was shot during 2015-2016 and the 2016-2017 season.
Some of the older footage in the documentary is from WYMT and other sources.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:26 PM
Water Boy
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
DawgFabulous is on a distinguished road
Always two sides to the story. I would love to hear the other side. Maybe one day.
Send a private message to DawgFabulous Add DawgFabulous to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Statistician
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Willie_Mays_Hayes is on a distinguished road
Rod was not approached to do a documentary until after he was fired by the Knott County Board of Education....the director of the film (Trent Cooper) read an article in the USA Today about the firing and contacted Rod about the story ....
Send a private message to Willie_Mays_Hayes Add Willie_Mays_Hayes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 02:03 PM
Asst. Coach
Bolz ole Fatpat disappointed in Allie baby! She told Fatpat she'd take the big man out to eat one day! Ole Fatpat dont pass up free taters baby! Ole Fatpat still waiting! SMH! And as JPC says they never no secret meetings hid from the BOE! Triple Wowza! Espionage level was freaking off the tater charts baby! This big man wishes the Lotts Creekians good luck on the movie career and Mortys still open for bizness! #waitingonphonecallsmakesbigmanhungry More mash taters please!!!

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Boys Basketball