Rate This Thread - North Laurel 29 Whitley County 14.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Statistician
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Gummie Bear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
I too believe you need to schedule good teams, but in terms of strategy, this district the last few years has been a 3 team race. If you have a 3 way tiebreaker, it's good to have those wins over a Leslie county per say that will win 7 games. Every point helps in the tiebreaker.

I did some quick math and the tiebreaker looks like this...

As of today...

Harlan County

Ashland - 6
No other non district wins. There only hope to pick up more points is to beat Bell which would probably result in about 5 more points but cancels out since Whitley also beat Bell.

North Laurel

South Laurel - 3 wins. (I only see one more win on their schedule of they can be at Harlan)
Prestonsburg - 3 wins. (I can see maybe 3 to 4 more wins. Good tie breaker game for north.)
East Jessamine - 3 wins. (Maybe one more win but would cancel out with Whitley as a common opponent)
Grant County - 0 wins. Would not count.
That Somerset game would have been a huge pick up for North.

Whitley County

Leslie County- 3 wins (possibly 5 wins)
East Jessamine - 3 wins ( maybe one more but is a common opponent win with North so it wouldn't help)
Bell County - 5 wins (possibly 7 wins. If they beat harlan county that would be huge)
If they beat Hazard that could win district for Whitley. So in other words the last week Whitley could be playing hazard for a district title and hazard may rest up since they'll have there district locked up. That would be about 7 wins.

So this is the likely scenario if Whitley beats Harlan County...

Whitley County - Around 13 points, closer to 16 if they knock off Hazard.

North Laurel - Around 12 points. Only non district game left is Clay and that won't help them replace one of their others

Harlan County - Around 7 points, could be 12 or 13 with a win over Bell.

If Whitley beats Harlan County in a couple of weeks, Whitley will be the one seed.
The two see will depend on whether or not Harlan County beats Bell in the final week of the year.

If Harlan County beats Whitley, they lock up the one seed and it'll be 1. Harlan County, 2. North Laurel, 3. Whitley County
Check the rules before you start crowning champs.
You get to count 4 teams, not three.

That puts NL and WC ahead of Harlan Co regardless, the Hazard game would clear things out but that's a long way still.

Regardless no one should sleep on anyone in this district like LCC or PCC.
Send a private message to Gummie Bear Add Gummie Bear to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:34 AM
MOD

Liked 7,808 Times in 5,390 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gummie Bear View Post
Check the rules before you start crowning champs.
You get to count 4 teams, not three.

That puts NL and WC ahead of Harlan Co regardless, the Hazard game would clear things out but that's a long way still.

Regardless no one should sleep on anyone in this district like LCC or PCC.
The reason I only included 3 was because North and Whitley both beat East Jessamine and that would cancel each other out mathematically. Also, Norths other win is over Grant County who hasn't won a game a probably won't.

So what I had down was right goober, I mean gummy.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Statistician
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Gummie Bear is on a distinguished road
👍
Looks like Whitley has 10. north has 9. HC has 5 at this point
RunItUpTheGut (09-30-2017)
Send a private message to Gummie Bear Add Gummie Bear to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:55 AM
MOD

RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

That puts NL and WC ahead of Harlan Co regardless, the Hazard game would clear things out but that's a long way still
Harlan County better beat Whitley or their shot at district is over. That is certain. They just don't have the non district wins...

Whitleys wins include..

Leslie - currently 3 wins. Guaranteed 4 wins (Betsy layne). Maybe 5 with a win over Shelby valley. Let's stay with the guaranteed 4 wins.

Bell County - currently 4 wins. Guaranteed 6 wins (clay and jackson) and possibly an upset against HC, but for now we will stick with 6 wins.

East Jessamine- doesn't matter because North also has the same win.

And possibly hazard which would be around 6 wins (wins against Phelps and Leslie should happen giving them 6. That includes losses to paintsville and Whitley)

So Whitley would have 10 points minus the East Jessamine game. With a win over hazard that could jump up to as much as 16.

North Laurel

South Laurel - 3 wins. Only possible win left is Harlan. We will give them that, so 4 wins.

Prestonsburg - 3 wins. Possibly as much as 7. This is a good tie breaker game for North. Let's say they win the last 3 of 4 and that will give them 6 wins.

East Jessamine - doesn't matter since Whitley has the same win. Cancels each other out. But will count since EJ will have more wins that other opponents, same for Whitley.

Grant County - 0 wins. This game likely won't count.

Clay County - 1 win. I don't see any more wins

So, North has about 11 points IMO, if Pburgs season hold up. That one point from Clay could be the difference.

As I said before, Whitley could be playing Hazardd for a district title in week 10 at home.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:58 AM
MOD

There is literally a hundred different ways this could go.
It's one reason i think district games should be played the last week of the year. No reason for the breakers still needing to be decided after district play is over.

I'm predicting Harlan County beats Whitley and wins district outright.
That would mean
1. Harlan County
2. North Laurel
3. Whitley
4. Perry

If it does come down to a tiebreaker, and Whitley beats Harlan County, I'll go with...

1. Whitley
2. North
3. Harlan County
4. Perry

Might be confusing but it's still bettrer than a coin flip and fun to talk about.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Scout Team
Liked 113 Times in 83 Posts
Bobcat4years is an unknown quantity at this point
Iíve not seen Perry Co. But they have the most veteran coach in district. Does that factor in?
What happens if Home team wins out?
Send a private message to Bobcat4years Add Bobcat4years to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Starter
Liked 548 Times in 343 Posts
footballfever is on a distinguished road
Who would you consider region favorite now?
Send a private message to footballfever Add footballfever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:33 AM
Scout Team
Liked 113 Times in 83 Posts
Bobcat4years is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe Southwestern with three teams in North, Whitley or district winner..very tight region and district!
Send a private message to Bobcat4years Add Bobcat4years to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Statistician
Liked 69 Times in 53 Posts
Bossdaddy 4115 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
Why can't they replace Wilson? He is a very good quarterback, but the coaches should have been developing other talented quarterbacks to fill the position over the years. When the program is built that is what the best teams do. They don't just hope to get lucky and find a good player here and there.
Wilson is a special type of student athlete, it will be hard enough to replace his talent but when you take in leadership, character , and over all will they don't have a kid to do that at this time from what I have been told. That's all I am saying, he may be hard to replace.
Send a private message to Bossdaddy 4115 Add Bossdaddy 4115 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sgt Quick Strike is on a distinguished road
It's top 2 wins vs non-common opponents not 3. Does not matter though, Whitley is taking one to the face this week
Send a private message to Sgt Quick Strike Add Sgt Quick Strike to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:42 PM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,560 Times in 3,516 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
I'm not too sure about that. If Whitley can find the team that they lost from earlier in the season, I think it will be a good game.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
HAPPY NEW YEAR
Send a private message to Granny Bear Add Granny Bear to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:59 PM
Starter
Originally Posted by Sgt Quick Strike View Post
It's top 2 wins vs non-common opponents not 3. Does not matter though, Whitley is taking one to the face this week
If the tie remains, each team tied for the position shall receive one point for each game won by any four of their defeated opponents in all games, except for the games played between any two of the tied teams. All games played shall be counted in applying the tie-breaking procedure, including out of state games, with the exception that a defeated school may be counted only once in the procedure regardless of the number of games played against that particular school. Teams awarded forfeit victories (whether or not a forfeit fee is paid) may count the defeated opponents of the forfeiting team, provided the game was not replaced on the schedule.
Send a private message to footballfever Add footballfever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Truthhurts is on a distinguished road
Is Chappell on the hot seat??
Send a private message to Truthhurts Add Truthhurts to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:45 PM
Suspended
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Wrangler is on a distinguished road
bad loss for Whitley
Send a private message to Wrangler Add Wrangler to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Suspended
Liked 19 Times in 18 Posts
Wrangler is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
no
Send a private message to Wrangler Add Wrangler to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:49 PM
Starter
Originally Posted by Truthhurts View Post
1st district championship in 8 years and 4th in school history last year. 3-3 this year and still can win district this year with wins next 3 games. So I'll say NO!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Scout Team
Liked 171 Times in 126 Posts
Tight End is on a distinguished road
So glad we got back in town in time to watch North Laurel get back on track. They played last night like I knew they could with the athletic ability on that team. They kept the ball the entire half and each position played top notch football - on both sides of the ball. One of the better called games we have seen this year by any team of Refs as well. I was glad to finally see that - we were beginning to think they were just bad everywhere. They let up there toward the end like teams do when they are ahead, but overall they turned in a stellar performance last night. Hope they can continue on the winning side and be the team a lot of us thought they were all along.
Send a private message to Tight End Add Tight End to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:40 PM
2nd String
Liked 309 Times in 214 Posts
Van Hagar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by footballfever View Post
If the tie remains, each team tied for the position shall receive one point for each game won by any four of their defeated opponents in all games, except for the games played between any two of the tied teams. All games played shall be counted in applying the tie-breaking procedure, including out of state games, with the exception that a defeated school may be counted only once in the procedure regardless of the number of games played against that particular school. Teams awarded forfeit victories (whether or not a forfeit fee is paid) may count the defeated opponents of the forfeiting team, provided the game was not replaced on the schedule.
^
I think my head is going to explode.
Send a private message to Van Hagar Add Van Hagar to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:47 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,722 Times in 2,716 Posts
64SUR will become famous soon enough

Send a private message to 64SUR Add 64SUR to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:54 PM
MOD

1st district championship in 8 years and 4th in school history last year. 3-3 this year and still can win district this year with wins next 3 games. So I'll say NO!
In paper it looks great but let's face the current reality.
Almost every team Whitley beat last year had their worst teams in a decade. The only tough opponent they really played was Corbin and that was a killing.
This teams is loaded with seniors and juniors. If it isn't coaching holding them back, then what is it? I would find it hard to believe some other coaches wouldn't have had great success with this Whitley team. They are loaded.

Sadly, Chappell has failed badly everywhere he has been, although those schools all weren't really football schools. Whitley is. They provide you with everytthing you need to succeed.
I think everybody knows what's going on right now and how it pertains to the current takeover and who is getting what jobs soon within the district.
I'm just asking the simple question. Has he underacheive d and would other, proven coaches be in the same predicament?
Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 PM
Starter
Almost every team Whitley beat last year had their worst teams in a decade. The only tough opponent they really played was Corbin and that was a killing.
This teams is loaded with seniors and juniors. If it isn't coaching holding them back, then what is it? I would find it hard to believe some other coaches wouldn't have had great success with this Whitley team. They are loaded.

Sadly, Chappell has failed badly everywhere he has been, although those schools all weren't really football schools. Whitley is. They provide you with everytthing you need to succeed.
I think everybody knows what's going on right now and how it pertains to the current takeover and who is getting what jobs soon within the district.
I'm just asking the simple question. Has he underacheive d and would other, proven coaches be in the same predicament?
My 2 sentences were facts your 2 paragraphs were opinion.
Old 09-30-2017, 09:23 PM
Statistician
Liked 69 Times in 53 Posts
Bossdaddy 4115 is on a distinguished road
I will not say that junior class is loaded, but senior class yes it is. They should have won two of the games they have lost but got out played in rock and out coached at north. So it's 50-50. If they don't do something this year there not going to for a few, I am afraid this year is all but in the books for them. I hate that cause they have some good seniors.
Send a private message to Bossdaddy 4115 Add Bossdaddy 4115 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:29 PM
2nd String
Liked 180 Times in 120 Posts
WhyLie is on a distinguished road

Whitley is a football school? They just posted all those district championships and regional titles and those state championships. You forget your place sometimes.
Send a private message to WhyLie Add WhyLie to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 04:23 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,623 Times in 2,041 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Who would you consider region favorite now?
Southwestern
Old 10-01-2017, 04:34 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,623 Times in 2,041 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Bossdaddy 4115 View Post
I will not say that junior class is loaded, but senior class yes it is. They should have won two of the games they have lost but got out played in rock and out coached at north. So it's 50-50. If they don't do something this year there not going to for a few, I am afraid this year is all but in the books for them. I hate that cause they have some good seniors.
the year is far from over .
Old 10-01-2017, 07:54 AM
2nd String
Liked 309 Times in 214 Posts
Van Hagar is on a distinguished road
^
Agreed. In fact, I would still favor Whitley to get top seed in district, think there will be three 3-1 teams and tiebreaker will favor them. If they avoid a hangover from North loss and take care of business at Perry Central, then I think they'll win out.
Send a private message to Van Hagar Add Van Hagar to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Scout Team
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Paparazzi is on a distinguished road

Where you get Whitley is such a great football school is beyond me. I've never known of them even having a good team until here lately. Your are criticizing a great man. This fellow worked hard ,on his own, to make it through school and become successful. In my opinion they are the best they have ever been. I'm sure next week if my commodores win your excuses will all be because of the coach. Whitley may wear us out but we are getting better each game and I assure you that Whitley has nobody even close to the talent level of Jacob Woolum. See you on Friday good fellow.
Send a private message to Paparazzi Add Paparazzi to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:23 PM
Statistician
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
chs crazy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
Where you get Whitley is such a great football school is beyond me. I've never known of them even having a good team until here lately. Your are criticizing a great man. This fellow worked hard ,on his own, to make it through school and become successful. In my opinion they are the best they have ever been. I'm sure next week if my commodores win your excuses will all be because of the coach. Whitley may wear us out but we are getting better each game and I assure you that Whitley has nobody even close to the talent level of Jacob Woolum. See you on Friday good fellow.
Not sure exactly what you are trying to say but just because you are a good guy who worked to get through school doesn't make you a good football coach or mean you have a great mind for the game. Whitley seems to be struggling this year against the exact type of football Perry Central plays, don't know anything about Perry Central's players but Whitley is a very talented team at a lot of different positions and I'll be cheering for them, hope you all have a exciting injury free game.
Send a private message to chs crazy Add chs crazy to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:37 PM
MOD

Originally Posted by WhyLie View Post
Whitley is a football school? They just posted all those district championships and regional titles and those state championships. You forget your place sometimes.
Settle down little Bell fan. You'll be a basketball school before long.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:42 PM
MOD

Originally Posted by Paparazzi View Post
Nobody ever said Whitley was a great football school but since the late 80s they have definitely been a football first school. You all bring up bring up how the football team only has 4 district titles and one region without mentioning in 50 years, the basketball team only has 3 district titles and no region. I think baseball only has 2 districts and no region. So my assessment as a football school is 100% accurate.

BUT, you also have to keep in mind the district competition Whitley has faced. If you switch Whitley into the 51st district, they have multiples, just like you seen Whitleys volleyball team dominate the 51st, but in the 50th Corbin and South are always tough competition.
As for football, Whitley was irrelevant until the 90s and was stuck in a district with Bell and Rock while both were in their primes.
Bossdaddy 4115 (10-01-2017), Gitback Coach (10-01-2017)

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football