Rate This Thread - Whos the top 20 teams pre season?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 10-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kittycat is on a distinguished road
Default Whos the top 20 teams pre season?
Will any of the 15th region or 16th sneak in?
Paintsville -Boyd or Ashland
Send a private message to kittycat Add kittycat to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 11-03-2017, 08:53 AM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dookie is on a distinguished road
Boyd maybe- possibly Paintsville. Boyd should be better this year than last. Paintsville well coached and had great season last year. Fraley also will out coach most, especially in his region.
Send a private message to Dookie Add Dookie to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:56 AM
Statistician
Liked 74 Times in 57 Posts
nekysportsfan is on a distinguished road
I agree that Fraley is a good coach. I donít know about the team being top 20 in the state this season, but heís a really good coach.
Send a private message to nekysportsfan Add nekysportsfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Statistician
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Cheezy is on a distinguished road
Boyd should probably start off ranked in the 16-20 range.
That should be the only team ranked top 20
Out of 13,14,15,16 regions.
Send a private message to Cheezy Add Cheezy to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:36 PM
Water Boy
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Jaguarhoundbird is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Boyd is that much better than Corbin,, South Laurel, and Knox Central? Lol. Might want to watch some more basketball.
Send a private message to Jaguarhoundbird Add Jaguarhoundbird to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:00 PM
2nd String
Liked 156 Times in 128 Posts
HCS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Harlan County brings back the top 8 players from a 28-3 team, including a UK signee and another all-stater. I'm guessing they will be a top 20 team, but you never know. I think South Laurel also has a shot to be in the top 20.
Ball Dad (11-09-2017)
Send a private message to HCS Add HCS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 04:15 PM
Water Boy
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Jaguarhoundbird is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jaguarhoundbird View Post
Boyd is that much better than Corbin,, South Laurel, and Knox Central? Lol. Might want to watch some more basketball.
My bad, I thought this was posted in the boys basketball section. Lol. Can't say that I've watched Boyd girls play, but Harlan County and South Laurel are loaded.
Ball Dad (11-09-2017)
Send a private message to Jaguarhoundbird Add Jaguarhoundbird to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BC ill be good but loaded with guards no inside game and chemistry will be a issue to many mouths to feed. Look for the Kittens to win 16th. BC and Kittens tested early from #5 Louisville Male
Send a private message to kittycat Add kittycat to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:40 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
South Laurel wasnt a problem from a split Kitten team in the summer. Pville was crushed by the Kittens. I know its summer but it wasnt a game from both.
Old 11-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Statistician
Originally Posted by HCS View Post
Harlan County brings back the top 8 players from a 28-3 team, including a UK signee and another all-stater. I'm guessing they will be a top 20 team, but you never know. I think South Laurel also has a shot to be in the top 20.
Harlan County went 28-3 last year but did not beat a top 20 team. They lost to Boyle County and South Laurel early. The best team on their schedule was Harlan. I know they beat Harlan 3 times but they lost the only one that mattered. Their schedule this year appears to be more of the same. No top 20 teams. If you have a uk signee and another all state player why would you not schedule a few top 20 teams?
How can can they be ranked if they never play a ranked team ?
Send a private message to Cheezy Add Cheezy to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 04:34 PM
2nd String
I'd play in some bigger tournaments if I did the schedule, but the fact remains they were the best team in regions 13, 14 and 15 most of the year, blew through the WYMT Classic and won 25 straight. They were in the top 20/25 for a while last year and should be better this year.
Send a private message to HCS Add HCS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:20 PM
Statistician
No doubt they will be better with top 8 girls coming back. I'm sure they will rack up 25+ wins again. Just saying I wouldn't put them in the top 20 until they beat a top 20 team and that's gonna be hard to do since they haven't scheduled any. I have a feeling whomever does the scheduling has less confidence in the team than you do.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:23 PM
2nd String
They were 4-1 against state tournament teams.
I noticed they beat Russell by six. Boyd beat Russell by 2 and 8. I didn't notice any other similar opponents. Paintsville won the 15th and Harlan beat them pretty bad in the state All A.
Harlan county had pretty good wins over Breckinridge County, Knott Central, Russell, North Laurel, Clay County and Harlan. I don't know if any of those teams ever cracked the top 20 though.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:27 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Olred is on a distinguished road
I’m not a Harlan County fan by any means, but who is the closest top 20 team to Harlan County? HC is a mountain team and it takes and hour and a half to get to I75. With this being high school the only chance to even play a top 20 school then is Christmas tournaments and maybe a couple of Saturdays. Then I would bet the better 14th region teams won’t play so that limits who you can even get in your area. The first week they play North Laurel in the Legacy Nissan, then go the Top Prospect classic at Henry Clay and then the WYMT the next week. They should breeze through all of that but for a mountain team that is about as good as it gets. I could be wrong but I think Harlan County probably has plenty of confidence but scheduling is not easy when your in the mountains and good. This is all just my opinion though so take it for what it is worth.
Send a private message to Olred Add Olred to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:39 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by Olred View Post
Iím not a Harlan County fan by any means, but who is the closest top 20 team to Harlan County? HC is a mountain team and it takes and hour and a half to get to I75. With this being high school the only chance to even play a top 20 school then is Christmas tournaments and maybe a couple of Saturdays. Then I would bet the better 14th region teams wonít play so that limits who you can even get in your area. The first week they play North Laurel in the Legacy Nissan, then go the Top Prospect classic at Henry Clay and then the WYMT the next week. They should breeze through all of that but for a mountain team that is about as good as it gets. I could be wrong but I think Harlan County probably has plenty of confidence but scheduling is not easy when your in the mountains and good. This is all just my opinion though so take it for what it is worth.
I can understand the travel being an issue. However, I see they are traveling to West Jessamine to be in a Christmas tourney that will have zero competition. They could drive 10 more miles and play in the Lex Cath tourney that has some of the best teams in the state every year. Why travel that far to play mediocre competition? There would be several top 20 teams just a few miles down the road that would love to play Harlan County and their all-staters. It almost seams like they don't want to play against top 20 teams.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:12 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Olred is on a distinguished road
I agree completely on the Christmas tournaments. If Ihad that team
I would want to play the best of the best like you are saying. Legit question though is the Catholic tournament still one of the better events? I know it used to be THE event.
Send a private message to Olred Add Olred to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Statistician
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
CA3 is on a distinguished road
As far as "mountain" teams go, Harlan County, South Laurel, Paintsville, North Laurel, and Knott County could all be in the top 20. I could see Harlan County in the top 15 and the others 15-20.
HCS (11-07-2017)
Send a private message to CA3 Add CA3 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Statistician
Originally Posted by Olred View Post
I agree completely on the Christmas tournaments. If Ihad that team
I would want to play the best of the best like you are saying. Legit question though is the Catholic tournament still one of the better events? I know it used to be THE event.
I don't know what teams are in it this year but here are a few of last years teams.
Butler, Simon Kenton, Sacred Heart
Murray, Ryle, Manual
The West Jessamine tourney had
Estill Co, Collins, W. Jessamine, Harrison Co,Tates Creek and Danville.
Nothing against these teams but if I have 2 all-taters and I think I have a good team I'm picking the Lex Cath tourney to challenge my girls.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Statistician
Originally Posted by CA3 View Post
As far as "mountain" teams go, Harlan County, South Laurel, Paintsville, North Laurel, and Knott County could all be in the top 20. I could see Harlan County in the top 15 and the others 15-20.
Are you talking about ranking just mountain teams? Or the entire state of KY?
Old 11-07-2017, 03:55 PM
2nd String
I think we had four or five 13th Region boys teams in the top 25 at one point or another last year. I certainly thinks it's possible there could be three or four girls teams throughout the mountains in the state's top 25.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:50 PM
Statistician
Originally Posted by HCS View Post
I think we had four or five 13th Region boys teams in the top 25 at one point or another last year. I certainly thinks it's possible there could be three or four girls teams throughout the mountains in the state's top 25.
There definitely could be 3 or 4 ranked at some point in the year. Anything is possible. I just wouldn't rank any of them in the top 20 as of now. I'm looking at only 13, 14 & 15th regions. If you want to expand the thread to top 25 then I would throw Harlan County in there.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:27 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oweboy is on a distinguished road
They were slated to travel to Hilton Head during Christmas, not sure about the competition but it was an invite only tourney I heard. Nevertheless the county board wouldn't approve the trip.
Send a private message to Oweboy Add Oweboy to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:49 AM
Water Boy
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Ball Dad is on a distinguished road
Kittycat, how can you say South wasn't a problem? Are you talking about Ashland kittens? Ashland didn't beat South at Coastal Carolina and they played twice, and I don't remember them playing any other time but I could be wrong.
Send a private message to Ball Dad Add Ball Dad to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:56 PM
2nd String
Harlan County is 14th - Paintsville 24th

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...ngs/881952001/

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Girls Basketball