Rate This Thread - Open Job: West Carter.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:23 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,273 Times in 1,057 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Default Open Job: West Carter
After 23 years as the Comets head man, Coach Kevin Brown has announced his retirement.

Who gets the West Carter job?

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 11-09-2017, 02:52 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 84 Times in 66 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
After being at a place for that long, my assumption is that there is somebody already in line for it who was groomed for the position.

I mean, I could be wrong, but that just seems how those types of things work.

It also needs to be mentioned that the fact that someone stayed at a place like West Carter (no offense intended at all) is absolutely amazing. That's something that definitely deserves respect from people.
Gitback Coach (11-09-2017)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Texas2step is on a distinguished road
It says something for the administration and parents as well. I know his record at West fluctuated. Not a knock on him at all, but all too often I am seeing high school head coaches being run off by parents or administrators at the first sign of a discouraging season. West seems like a great place to coach where you will be given time to develop and do your thing.
Send a private message to Texas2step Add Texas2step to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:46 PM
Scout Team
Liked 200 Times in 128 Posts
Slic Ric is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheHotSnakes View Post

It also needs to be mentioned that the fact that someone stayed at a place like West Carter (no offense intended at all) is absolutely amazing. That's something that definitely deserves respect from people.
Well, Coach Brown is from West (Played there as well). He and he brother Brian are both class acts.
KYHSFB (11-09-2017)
Send a private message to Slic Ric Add Slic Ric to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:47 PM
Scout Team
Liked 93 Times in 71 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
After being at a place for that long, my assumption is that there is somebody already in line for it who was groomed for the position.

I mean, I could be wrong, but that just seems how those types of things work.

Brown family are West Carter grads. Played there in the 80ís. Coached there since. All about that school. The fact that Kevin and Brian are both leaving makes me think they will open up the position to the outside. One of the assistants may ascend to the HC and has already without announcement. No news other than ADI article stating AD Brian Brown was going to have to put on his AD hat and look for a coach.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:12 PM
Water Boy
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
KYHSFB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by WILDCAT NATION View Post
Brown family are West Carter grads. Played there in the 80ís. Coached there since. All about that school. The fact that Kevin and Brian are both leaving makes me think they will open up the position to the outside. One of the assistants may ascend to the HC and has already without announcement. No news other than ADI article stating AD Brian Brown was going to have to put on his AD hat and look for a coach.
If I was a betting man the guy is on staff.
Send a private message to KYHSFB Add KYHSFB to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Moderated member. You need 5 posts without rule violation to be promoted to a full member.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ewingpirates is on a distinguished road
What about Fleming County's coach, Bill Spencer? He is from West Carter. Do you think he would be interested?
Send a private message to Ewingpirates Add Ewingpirates to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 PM
Scout Team
Liked 80 Times in 60 Posts
mightydog is on a distinguished road
I think thinblueline should take it. He seems to have all the answers about how to run a team. Plus he would have the satisfaction of beating TJ Maynard every year
RHS (11-18-2017), THINBLUELINE411 (11-18-2017)
Send a private message to mightydog Add mightydog to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Scout Team
Liked 35 Times in 29 Posts
thecoacher is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ewingpirates View Post
What about Fleming County's coach, Bill Spencer? He is from West Carter. Do you think he would be interested?
He has been at Fleming County for a while now (assistant and head coach). Not sure he would leave at this point.
Send a private message to thecoacher Add thecoacher to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:38 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 43 Times in 24 Posts
Coach Booth is on a distinguished road
Spencer would be an excellent hire for West Carter. If they donít go that route, do they have someone thatís currently on staff who will be the head man next year?
Send a private message to Coach Booth Add Coach Booth to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by thecoacher View Post
He has been at Fleming County for a while now (assistant and head coach). Not sure he would leave at this point.
That would be an interesting hire for sure. In district. Border school. Fleming graduating 1/3 of their whole team. West with some decent young talent. But I do not look for this to happen. I think Westís next HC may already be there.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:04 AM
Water Boy
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
KYHSFB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Coach Booth View Post
Spencer would be an excellent hire for West Carter. If they donít go that route, do they have someone thatís currently on staff who will be the head man next year?
Yes
Send a private message to KYHSFB Add KYHSFB to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:21 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mightydog View Post
I think thinblueline should take it. He seems to have all the answers about how to run a team. Plus he would have the satisfaction of beating TJ Maynard every year
You would be real mad when West started kicking Russells *** ever year. I would be able to smell the crow cooking in Flatwoods all the way in Olive Hill! Maynard would make me look like the next Nick Saban, considering heís Russellís version of JOKER PHILLIPS BAHAHA LOL
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
THINBLUELINE411 is on a distinguished road
Not to mention we would be doing it with WING-T!!!
Send a private message to THINBLUELINE411 Add THINBLUELINE411 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ole Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by THINBLUELINE411 View Post
You would be real mad when West started kicking Russells *** ever year. I would be able to smell the crow cooking in Flatwoods all the way in Olive Hill! Maynard would make me look like the next Nick Saban, considering heís Russellís version of JOKER PHILLIPS BAHAHA LOL
One year when Kentucky played Missouri, it was Bud Dupree's Sophmore year, so 2012 maybe. Anyways, Missouri's program that they passed out said "Joke Phillips." Isn't that hilarious! I think Missouri's claimed it to be a typo, but I don't think so.
Send a private message to The Ole Man Add The Ole Man to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Water Boy
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ole Man is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Texas2step View Post
It says something for the administration and parents as well. I know his record at West fluctuated. Not a knock on him at all, but all too often I am seeing high school head coaches being run off by parents or administrators at the first sign of a discouraging season. West seems like a great place to coach where you will be given time to develop and do your thing.

How many coaches get fired in high school football? It can't be many. Especially at schools that aren't football power's and schools that are not contending for state .championships.
Send a private message to The Ole Man Add The Ole Man to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Starter
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
KentuckyHillBilly5321 will become famous soon enough
I think it is time to go outside the box ... KELLY PERRY.

Kelly is a West Carter graduate ... and would certainly shake things up.

Kelly has great coaching experience at Beechwood (7 years) and Colerain (3 years) ...

I would hope that type of big game/championship experience is something that would be considered.

Word is ... he could bring one heck of a staff with him as well.

I just hope this isn't a done deal already ... with the administration taking the easy/comfortable route when it could have someone who knows what it takes to sustain elite level success
Big Chief (Yesterday)
Send a private message to KentuckyHillBilly5321 Add KentuckyHillBilly5321 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by KentuckyHillBilly5321 View Post
I think it is time to go outside the box ... KELLY PERRY.

Kelly is a West Carter graduate ... and would certainly shake things up.

Kelly has great coaching experience at Beechwood (7 years) and Colerain (3 years) ...

I would hope that type of big game/championship experience is something that would be considered.

Word is ... he could bring one heck of a staff with him as well.

I just hope this isn't a done deal already ... with the administration taking the easy/comfortable route when it could have someone who knows what it takes to sustain elite level success
I have heard his name mentioned but I havenít heard anyone say HE was interested.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Starter
Liked 415 Times in 300 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The Ole Man View Post
How many coaches get fired in high school football? It can't be many. Especially at schools that aren't football power's and schools that are not contending for state .championships.
Plenty. It might not come out in the papers as being fired, but often times it's a mutual agreement to part ways.
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:29 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 84 Times in 66 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fly Like a Duck View Post
Plenty. It might not come out in the papers as being fired, but often times it's a mutual agreement to part ways.
I would speculate that unless a coach is leaving to take another job, then 75% of the time they were fired. Or forced out. Whatever you want to call it. They were "encouraged" to step down.

It happens way too much. And, honestly, it shouldn't happen at just about every public school in the state. Unless they are blatantly bad, or commit some sort of major violation or cause an incident, they don't deserve to be fired. High school teams are impacted by the local economy, geography, politics, culture, funds, coaching, and probably most importantly genetics. Firing a guy who can control so little of what he is given seems to be the wrong decision.
Explorer (Yesterday)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM
Starter
Liked 415 Times in 300 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
I would speculate that unless a coach is leaving to take another job, then 75% of the time they were fired. Or forced out. Whatever you want to call it. They were "encouraged" to step down.

It happens way too much. And, honestly, it shouldn't happen at just about every public school in the state. Unless they are blatantly bad, or commit some sort of major violation or cause an incident, they don't deserve to be fired. High school teams are impacted by the local economy, geography, politics, culture, funds, coaching, and probably most importantly genetics. Firing a guy who can control so little of what he is given seems to be the wrong decision.
Preach.
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Scout Team
I do not see the job posted on KHSAA or the Carter County Schools site. The search may be over before it began.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football