Rate This Thread - My Final 3A Ranking (not that anyone cares).

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:56 AM
Scout Team
Liked 156 Times in 110 Posts
smoke1015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Final 3A Ranking (not that anyone cares)
1. Boyle
2. Elizabethtown
3. Corbin
4. Louisville Central
5. Belfry
6. Casey
7. Waggener
8. Lexington Catholic
9. Caldwell County
10. Bell County

How do I justify this? Very small part bias, but really analyzing what I saw with my own eyes, and trying to look at regular season matcups, and then how the playofffs played out. Casey at 6 with them losing to Powell??? There's definitely my bias, BUT...I have logical reasons for it...Lexington Catholic was NOT very good all year. Not top 5 worthy and over rated by many. A private school, that I still say shouldn't be allowed to compete in 3A, or maybe any 'A'...But yeah. Bell played Corbin pretty decent in the playoff, and didn't just lay down like in the regular season. Powell played well above their heads so I couldn't put them on this list with their regular season schedule. Caldwell is solid, and Waggener has a single special athlete that can hurt you. In reality, anyone below 5th is just guesswork, and maybe those teams are bottom 5 for a reason, not as consistent as the top 5, and maybe they all could not show up, at any time, for any game. The top 5 are always steady, don't mess up, and don't have letdowns. All in all, no disputing the champ, Boyle. They are #1. Etown rated too low all year, folks not believing in them. That team was ultra special and those kids, their seniors should be remembered. They played with one of the best 3A teams I've seen in a lonnnng time. Boyle this year vs Belfry last year...? A game where no one can stop the other. IMO. Tough call. 2 best teams, I've personally seen in 3A since forever ago...
FoSho (12-04-2017), Hatz (12-02-2017), Jack Lambert (12-07-2017), Lake Trash (12-02-2017)
Send a private message to smoke1015 Add smoke1015 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
COACHITALL is on a distinguished road
I think you are off a little
1 Boyle
2 Corbin
3 Central
4 Belfry
5 Etown
Next season top 4
Boyle
Central
Belfry
Corbin
But who cares!
Send a private message to COACHITALL Add COACHITALL to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 354 Times in 228 Posts
Hatz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by COACHITALL View Post
1 Boyle
2 Corbin
3 Central
4 Belfry
5 Etown
Next season top 4
Boyle
Central
Belfry
Corbin
But who cares!
It's all hypothetical but I think you have to see Etown to understand that they were very very good. They contained Boyle's offense a lot better than Corbin did and I don't think that was a fluke. Boyle's line is that good.

But there's only 5 slots and other than the #1 slot they are all pretty debatable.
RunItUpTheGut (12-02-2017)
Send a private message to Hatz Add Hatz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 AM
MOD

Liked 7,819 Times in 5,400 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
I have no problem with Etown being number 2.
They played Boyle better than anyone else in 3A.
I'm curious how these teams would have fared against Central if not for the RIDICOLOUS cross bracketing
smoke1015 (12-04-2017)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:48 AM
Asst. Coach
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
I'm curious how these teams would have fared against Central if not for the RIDICOLOUS cross bracketing
I think Boyle would have matched up well.
FoSho (12-03-2017)
Send a private message to Hatz Add Hatz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Asst. Coach
1. Boyle County
2. Elizabethtown
3. Corbin
4. Central
5. Belfry
Old 12-02-2017, 10:58 AM
Scout Team
Liked 152 Times in 91 Posts
Rebel55 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
1. Boyle County
2. Elizabethtown
3. Corbin
4. Central
5. Belfry
Hard to complain on this. I agree!
Hatz (12-02-2017)
Send a private message to Rebel55 Add Rebel55 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 AM
Statistician
Liked 39 Times in 34 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
The coaches and players were concerned about Etown because of speed on D. All of these teams couldn't throw the ball well enough to beat Boyle. We played some pretty good throwing/scrambling QBs this year and fared very well. It's all about preparation and say what you will about Boyle's "weak" schedule (lol), it was a masterful job of getting gameplans ready for winning the 8th title.

From Boyle's perspective, here is what I think is the Top 5 from a matchup perspective:

1.) Boyle Co
2.) Etown
3.) Belfry
4.) Central
5.) Corbin

Final Rankings in general:

1.) Boyle Co
2.) Corbin
3.) Etown
4.) Central
5.) Belfry
smoke1015 (12-04-2017)
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Statistician
Liked 80 Times in 56 Posts
The Spread is on a distinguished road
1 and 2 are pretty easy. The state finalist. From there is nothing more than opinions. You're named state champ and state runner up for a reason.
Send a private message to The Spread Add The Spread to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:36 PM
Statistician
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
HOFER is on a distinguished road
So when will the next adjustments be made to the classes? Is there a set year or no?
Send a private message to HOFER Add HOFER to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:59 PM
2nd String
Liked 149 Times in 121 Posts
PRIDE101 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by The Spread View Post
1 and 2 are pretty easy. The state finalist. From there is nothing more than opinions. You're named state champ and state runner up for a reason.
I do as well :
1. Boyle
2. Etown

That is if you are wanting best teams.
Send a private message to PRIDE101 Add PRIDE101 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Statistician
Originally Posted by HOFER View Post
So when will the next adjustments be made to the classes? Is there a set year or no?
One more season then there is another realignment.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
CoachNM0523 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smoke1015 View Post
1. Boyle
2. Elizabethtown
3. Corbin
4. Louisville Central
5. Belfry
6. Casey
7. Waggener
8. Lexington Catholic
9. Caldwell County
10. Bell County

How do I justify this? Very small part bias, but really analyzing what I saw with my own eyes, and trying to look at regular season matcups, and then how the playofffs played out. Casey at 6 with them losing to Powell??? There's definitely my bias, BUT...I have logical reasons for it...Lexington Catholic was NOT very good all year. Not top 5 worthy and over rated by many. A private school, that I still say shouldn't be allowed to compete in 3A, or maybe any 'A'...But yeah. Bell played Corbin pretty decent in the playoff, and didn't just lay down like in the regular season. Powell played well above their heads so I couldn't put them on this list with their regular season schedule. Caldwell is solid, and Waggener has a single special athlete that can hurt you. In reality, anyone below 5th is just guesswork, and maybe those teams are bottom 5 for a reason, not as consistent as the top 5, and maybe they all could not show up, at any time, for any game. The top 5 are always steady, don't mess up, and don't have letdowns. All in all, no disputing the champ, Boyle. They are #1. Etown rated too low all year, folks not believing in them. That team was ultra special and those kids, their seniors should be remembered. They played with one of the best 3A teams I've seen in a lonnnng time. Boyle this year vs Belfry last year...? A game where no one can stop the other. IMO. Tough call. 2 best teams, I've personally seen in 3A since forever ago...

Belfry last year would beat any team in 3A I've ever seen. That team was unreal.
Send a private message to CoachNM0523 Add CoachNM0523 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:09 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by CoachNM0523 View Post
Belfry last year would beat any team in 3A I've ever seen. That team was unreal.
Their running game would have been slowed drastically against this years Boyle defense. And Boyle would have scored enough to win the game.

But who knows?
Old 12-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 70 Times in 48 Posts
CoachNM0523 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
Their running game would have been slowed drastically against this years Boyle defense. And Boyle would have scored enough to win the game.

But who knows?
I couldn't see Boyle stopping their run game consistently. And that's not a knock on Boyle, it's more of an ode to that team. Four D-1 lineman, one who is starting for Louisville currently. When I think to the best high school teams I've seen play they're up there. As is Boyle from 2010 when they had Lamar Dawson.
FoSho (12-04-2017)
Send a private message to CoachNM0523 Add CoachNM0523 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:52 AM
Statistician
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
AngryMob is on a distinguished road
jeez why do boyle people have to go and screw up winning a state championship by talkign crap about our team from last yr. we wouldnt have lost to danville believe that lol
Send a private message to AngryMob Add AngryMob to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Statistician
Liked 26 Times in 23 Posts
AngryMob is on a distinguished road
I couldn't see Boyle stopping their run game consistently. And that's not a knock on Boyle, it's more of an ode to that team. Four D-1 lineman, one who is starting for Louisville currently. When I think to the best high school teams I've seen play they're up there. As is Boyle from 2010 when they had Lamar Dawson.
we lose one game (with some key players hurt) and all of a sudden belfry is another scrub hahaha
OutlawJoseyWales (12-05-2017)
Send a private message to AngryMob Add AngryMob to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Asst. Coach
Actually best Boyle team I've ever seen talent wise was 2000. (Particularly if Jacob Tamme doesn't break his leg in Game 4 and miss the rest of the season)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 AM
2nd String
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smoke1015 View Post
1. Boyle
2. Elizabethtown
3. Corbin
4. Louisville Central
5. Belfry
6. Casey
7. Waggener
8. Lexington Catholic
9. Caldwell County
10. Bell County

Good with the season ending ranking. Now how many of those will be on the 2018 pre-season top 10? Some loss a lot with their graduating Senior classes.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Asst. Coach
Originally Posted by WILDCAT NATION View Post
Good with the season ending ranking. Now how many of those will be on the 2018 pre-season top 10? Some loss a lot with their graduating Senior classes.
Not in any order but:

Boyle County

Lex Cath

Corbin

Belfry

Central
Old 12-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Statistician
Not in any order but:

Boyle County

Lex Cath

Corbin

Belfry

Central
LexCath won't be "as good" as they were this year. The rest will be solid.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM
2nd String
Not in any order but:

Boyle County

Lex Cath

Corbin

Belfry

Central
I agree with the order of this 5 to start the season. Boyle will be #1 for 2 more years. Lex Catholic will be better next season especially if the defense gets better. Corbin, Belfry, and Central all lose some huge key parts. It will depend upon how those parts are replaced to their long term success.

6-10 - E'town loses a monster Sr. class. Waggenor loses a D1 athlete that did everything for them. Bell County will continue to improve. I believe 6-10 will see some new blood by mid season.
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Asst. Coach
LexCath won't be "as good" as they were this year. The rest will be solid.
Curious why you think that? Their QB will be a Junior and he did have a very good year. If they can shore up their defense at all they will be in hunt I would believe.
WILDCAT NATION (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Statistician
Curious why you think that? Their QB will be a Junior and he did have a very good year. If they can shore up their defense at all they will be in hunt I would believe.
Their talent has taken a dip. They lost their best player. They were a complete mess by the time we played them in the playoffs. Their OL was marginal at best.

Perry is a great coach but you can only do so much.
Hatz (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 03:52 PM
2nd String
Their talent has taken a dip. They lost their best player. They were a complete mess by the time we played them in the playoffs. Their OL was marginal at best.

Perry is a great coach but you can only do so much.
You may want to check that stat sheet and roster....yes leading rusher is a Sr....but on an 93 man roster on KHSAA they had 12 seniors. The QB and his 3 leading recievers all return as part of a incoming roster with 27 Srs and 30 Jrs. I feel sure in that group of 81 potential returning players they can find at least 1 running back and some defense. I'm glad they are on the other side of the bracket next season.
Hatz (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Statistician
Originally Posted by WILDCAT NATION View Post
You may want to check that stat sheet and roster....yes leading rusher is a Sr....but on an 93 man roster on KHSAA they had 12 seniors. The QB and his 3 leading recievers all return as part of a incoming roster with 27 Srs and 30 Jrs. I feel sure in that group of 81 potential returning players they can find at least 1 running back and some defense. I'm glad they are on the other side of the bracket next season.
Boyle and LexCath have the hardest roads...loser of regular season District game will play @ Belfry second round. Winner will play @ Belfry in the regional final.

LexCath talent is down. Got friends there and they are concerned. Doesn't matter how many kids you got if they can't compete at the highest level.

He says Douglass is taking kids as/is LCA.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by COACHITALL View Post
1 Boyle
2 Corbin
3 Central
4 Belfry
5 Etown
Next season top 4
Boyle
Central
Belfry
Corbin
But who cares!
I don't know how Etown could be #5. I think they more than proved they were at least the 3rd best team, and probably the 2nd best team in 3A. Every Boyle fan I talked to said Etown was the best opponent they had played all year. Many of them told me that Etown was actually faster than them.

A coach friend did remind me on my Facebook, Garrard county played one of the toughest, if not THE toughest schedule in 3A. So I really probably did them a disservice by not putting them in the top 10. Garrad also beat the team that beat my team, by putting a running clock on them. The Golden Lions probably deserve to be anywhere between 6 and 10.
Send a private message to smoke1015 Add smoke1015 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 06:51 PM
Scout Team
I think Boyle would have matched up well.
Boyle would have, and my reasons why as I watched both teams play 2 games. Athleticism, almost EVEN. That's hard to believe, when speaking about Central. They are almost ALWAYS more atheltic, year in and out. Boyle was just as fast at most of their skill positions. Boyle overall was faster as a team. Central did have one kid with, I think, a "hands advantage". He literally could catch anything, no matter how hard, how badly thrown, if it hit his fingertips, it was snagged, with no bobble, no wiggle, it was like he had super glue on his gloves. So maybe one small advantage for Central, and one player. Boyle's line was about the same size, O-line, but they were several times more effective! Boyle opens running lanes like almost no team I had seen this year. Seriously, any good back at any other school could be successful behind that line. Boyle's D line, much better than Centrals. Boyle's defense, quite a bit better than Central's, and Central has a very good defense. Really, I don't know if Central was better with any unit on their team than Boyle. Boyle beats anyone in 3A this year, plain and simple, except maybe, on a real good day for them, Elizabethtown.
Hatz (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Scout Team
Originally Posted by The Spread View Post
That reason though, is also luck in the draw. I'm common sense ranking. I'm doing what we all say during the year, when we get ticked off about some computer ranking, or someone going with "Lexington schools"...Common sense tells me, in 3A, the only team that gave Boyle a scare in that playoff, was Etown.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Scout Team
But I guess I could go Ricky Bobby. If you ain't first, you're last. I am part of a slew of teams that finished last...

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football