Rate This Thread - Net Neutrality... thoughts and predictions.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-14-2017, 12:40 PM
Statistician
Liked 48 Times in 46 Posts
mr.fundamental is on a distinguished road
Default Net Neutrality... thoughts and predictions
Well, what are your thoughts?
Is this a good thing?
Is this a bad thing?
What is going to happen to this site?

http://fortune.com/2017/11/23/net-ne...hy-it-matters/
Send a private message to mr.fundamental Add mr.fundamental to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-14-2017, 05:31 PM

Liked 831 Times in 656 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Very interested to see what people’s thoughts are. As a college student who watches a lot of Netflix, YouTube and Twitch. As well as playing PlayStation and PC games online this scares me to death.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:59 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 116 Times in 91 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
There have been several instances over the last decade where corporations have attempted to limit access to other sites or apps that are in direct competition with one of their own product.

I expect things like that to become far more common.
Gitback Coach (12-15-2017)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Head Coach
Liked 1,364 Times in 1,328 Posts
The Urban Sombrero has a little shameless behaviour in the past
⬆️
This, too, brought to you from the one “billionaire” to another administration.
Gitback Coach (12-16-2017)
Send a private message to The Urban Sombrero Add The Urban Sombrero to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:48 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 981 Times in 816 Posts
TheRealThing is a jewel in the roughTheRealThing is a jewel in the roughTheRealThing is a jewel in the roughTheRealThing is a jewel in the rough
Incredible ^^. The only thing that made the internet the envy of the world in the first place was the decision NOT to tax it. That and the fact that the FCC was kept out of it and not allowed to suppress internet function with an impenetrable layer of 1930's style regulatory bureaucracy.

Hey all is not lost, you guys still got ObamaCare for a little while longer.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:08 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

TheRealThing is a jewel in the roughTheRealThing is a jewel in the roughTheRealThing is a jewel in the roughTheRealThing is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Spud6 View Post
Very interested to see what people’s thoughts are. As a college student who watches a lot of Netflix, YouTube and Twitch. As well as playing PlayStation and PC games online this scares me to death.

In that case allow me to put your fears to rest if I can. It was the coming of Net Neutrality as enacted in 2015, that was the threat you needed to fear. Under the terms of NN, "management" had broad and undefined "gatekeeper" powers. In other words they could have charged anything for anything in order to regulate the content on the internet.

Conservative websites were already beginning to feel the regulatory squeeze, so the death of NN came nary a bit too soon. This was in part a move to regulate political opinion and free access to conservative views. Obama complained openly about FOX News for example, nearly every darn day. In one word we were staring down the gun barrel of certain censorship. The left already has main stream media in their hip pocket, the only outliers being FOX News and the conservative sites on the internet. NN guaranteed eventual control of the websites, leaving only a few voices on FOX and FOX Business for the left to worry about.

No the fall of NN protects the internet as you know it.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 116 Times in 91 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
Unsure if troll or just really stupid.....
Gitback Coach (12-18-2017)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:31 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Who knows? But most are smart enough to know IP addresses are individually unique. As are web addresses.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Hall of Fame

Liked 2,173 Times in 1,288 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Anybody lost their internet yet?
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:05 PM
Statistician
Liked 48 Times in 46 Posts
mr.fundamental is on a distinguished road
my rate is going up... of course you probably saw that in the news... Jim Grey has blasted the decision. This is the second time in a year.
Gitback Coach (12-25-2017)
Send a private message to mr.fundamental Add mr.fundamental to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by mr.fundamental View Post
my rate is going up... of course you probably saw that in the news... Jim Grey has blasted the decision. This is the second time in a year.

Did you mean the mayor of Lexington Jim Gray? You and he spell his name differently, but I'm certain by your batting average on here that you're the one who has it right. Hey, maybe you can find yourself a position on his congressional campaign team. I mean, he proved his political prowess beyond doubt when he lost to Rand Paul by a landslide 15 point margin. I can see why you'd take your cues on Net Neutrality from him.

The only company I heard anything about having raised their prices was COX Cable. And even then their raise came BEFORE Net Neutrality was even nixed.

"Make no mistake about it: Cox has gone sideways to end up at a point where, to get the same plan that you enjoyed a year ago, you have to pay $50 more. That’s the opposite of what’s supposed to happen."http://bgr.com/2017/08/15/cox-data-c...nternet-works/

In other words the writer of the August 15 article cited above, is complaining that NN was supposed to lower rates, not raise them. Of course that was what Obama told him. And Barack told everybody ObamaCare wouldn't cost the taxpayer "One Dime," would lower insurance costs and consequently medical costs, and that was to be AFTER every family of four got their $2,500 dollars in premium costs back every year too, just like clockwork. And if you ask your average Democrat supporter they'll tell you that these new tax cuts will cost them more money, not save them money. San Fran Nan fuzzy math I guess. But none of this business has a thing to do with facts or reality. It has to do with the left's contempt being so incredibly intense, that they are willfully blinded to the truth.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Off Topic » Politics and Current Events