Rate This Thread - Northwestern 24 Kentucky 23.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:20 PM
Starter
Liked 368 Times in 255 Posts
Van Hagar is on a distinguished road
Default Northwestern 24 Kentucky 23
I know there will be a million things to say about this game, but let me start with thisóIím perfectly fine with going for two at the end. Got no problem with it at all. Nowó-let the other fun begin.
rookie57 (12-29-2017)
Send a private message to Van Hagar Add Van Hagar to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:27 PM
Retired

Liked 635 Times in 493 Posts
Ballers is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Ballers
Snell getting threw out for what? Imo at that time in the game it's a tough call for sure. With 30 seconds to go I would had not made the call for the 2 point conversion. We're not Alabama. Momentum was in our favor, should had rode that too OT.
Send a private message to Ballers Add Ballers to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
AnswertheBell is on a distinguished road
So many different things but bottom line NW coach just about gave the cats the game. Why no punt? I donít have a problem with going for two , but Johnson would have had a run / pass option. Not the case.
rookie57 (12-29-2017)
Send a private message to AnswertheBell Add AnswertheBell to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:32 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
AnswertheBell is on a distinguished road
With Snell I believe it was what he said and the ref took it personally. Snell got robbed , so did the Lb from NW. it will get to where defense canít tackle anyone on passes.
enknight84 (12-29-2017)
Send a private message to AnswertheBell Add AnswertheBell to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:56 PM
Asst. Coach

Liked 533 Times in 377 Posts
OldJacket is on a distinguished road
Bull crap call on Snell, Johnson gets killed out of bounds and no call, just a old fashion screw job... The fought hard to the end and the BBN showed up, glad I made the trip...
Old 12-29-2017, 07:58 PM

Liked 833 Times in 658 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
Iíve never been more frustrated at an official in my entire life. Once Benny Snell got ejected for a refís feelings getting hurt I couldnít see straight the rest of the game because I was so furious. Then Northwesternís stud LB getting ejected for ďtargetingĒ was an absolute joke as well. I canít stand when refs make their presence felt when itís not needed. Players didnít decide this game, the refs did. Not having Benny for 75% of the game changed everything for Kentucky. Iím not saying we would have won because we didnít play great. We canít catch a cold in Alaska butt naked. Itís sad that this is the receivers we have and then Stephen Johnson just misses throws left and right that arenít even close. But the man has so much grit and will to win that you got to root for him and forgive his mistakes. And then I donít even want to talk about the defense. Iíll let someone else do that.
Send a private message to Spud6 Add Spud6 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Head Coach

Liked 1,019 Times in 706 Posts
Demarcus ware is on a distinguished road
We all agree Snell getting ejected is bull. But until UK can develop players, get a QB that is accurate, and receivers that actually catch the ball, then itís all for nothing. Johnson lowered his shoulder and took a hit to score all for nothing. Sorry but going for 2 without Snell wasnít my choice. I have a feeling that next year is gonna be a rough one.
Send a private message to Demarcus ware Add Demarcus ware to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:16 PM
Statistician
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
enknight84 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ballers View Post
Snell getting threw out for what? Imo at that time in the game it's a tough call for sure. With 30 seconds to go I would had not made the call for the 2 point conversion. We're not Alabama. Momentum was in our favor, should had rode that too OT.
Kentucky couldn't stop Northwestern's offense on a short field. I think it was the right call to go for two for the lead and possibly the win. I wasn't at all confident that the defense could stop them in Overtime.
Send a private message to enknight84 Add enknight84 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:19 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,085 Times in 736 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
That was why I would have gone for two. I loved the call. My respect for Stoops as a coach went up because of the call. As a person, he is still garbage in my book but that is for another time and another thread.
Granny Bear (12-30-2017)
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:33 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,500 Times in 1,780 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Stevie will be missed. Clearly the leader on offense.
OldJacket (12-29-2017)
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 PM
2nd String
Liked 71 Times in 50 Posts
BlueSky is on a distinguished road
One thing we already knew and still holds true is that officials are perfect..... After that being said it sure can be hard to be a UK football fan... But I will keep on doing the same
Send a private message to BlueSky Add BlueSky to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:41 AM
2nd String
Liked 223 Times in 166 Posts
honestjchsfan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Westside View Post
That was why I would have gone for two. I loved the call. My respect for Stoops as a coach went up because of the call. As a person, he is still garbage in my book but that is for another time and another thread.
IMO it was a bone head call on Mark Stoop's part to go for 2 in that spot. The Northwestern coach had made some stupid calls and handed UK a shot to tie the game. Why be stupid and not take advantage? Northwestern is playing with their backup QB and Kentucky has the better kicker! Why not play to extend the game?
Axel Foley (12-30-2017), Ballers (01-01-2018)
Send a private message to honestjchsfan Add honestjchsfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 AM
Statistician
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
KYHSFB is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by honestjchsfan View Post
IMO it was a bone head call on Mark Stoop's part to go for 2 in that spot. The Northwestern coach had made some stupid calls and handed UK a shot to tie the game. Why be stupid and not take advantage? Northwestern is playing with their backup QB and Kentucky has the better kicker! Why not play to extend the game?
You have to go for two if you're Kentucky. If they're content with being 7-8 wins that's fine, play for OT. Kentucky needs to be aggressive. I know it's just a play call but by going for two you're setting a mindset for your program. People would complain that he didn't if they lost in OT.

People wouldn't be complaining if it worked either.
Granny Bear (12-30-2017), Westside (12-30-2017)
Send a private message to KYHSFB Add KYHSFB to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:52 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,949 Times in 2,317 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
it wasn't a big time bowl game. no sense in playing all night. I loved the call.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,301 Times in 1,083 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
the ref made a statement after the game on Snell saying that when he got up, he put his hands on his arms and shoved them, that's a foul......Per the ref that threw Snell out of the game.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:38 AM
BGR Staff

Liked 5,756 Times in 3,643 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
^^
Complete garbage, IMO. Snell got his guts kicked out from half a dozen defensive players before he went to the ground. Sargent Sun Tan reached for HIM first to help him up. HE initiated the contact, to a frustrated running back that was beat to death. I have a feeling that Snell suggested he have sex with himself and then got the flag. Which is total BS.

Stephen Johnson may not be the best QB in the world but you'll find NONE with any more heart!! I love this kid and wish him all the luck in the world going forward.

Going for 2?? Hey, no guts; no glory. We were down our best RB and our QB was playing on a thread and a prayer. I LOVED the call!!! At least we went down fighting!!! Doubt seriously Johnson could've made it through OT.

So, a winning season AND a good game in a bowl.

I'm okay with that.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:29 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Axel Foley is on a distinguished road
Amazing to me that nobody mentions the 4 personal foul penalties and four unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Stoops has no discipline. That is why players act the way they do. As far as the referees, they are PAC-12 officials. They are the worst in the Power 5 conferences. Sgt. Suntan loves to be seen. Yes, they missed some blatant calls, but, IMHO, Stoops has reached his ceiling as a Head Coach.
Send a private message to Axel Foley Add Axel Foley to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Head Coach

Liked 1,019 Times in 706 Posts
Demarcus ware is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Axel Foley View Post
Amazing to me that nobody mentions the 4 personal foul penalties and four unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Stoops has no discipline. That is why players act the way they do. As far as the referees, they are PAC-12 officials. They are the worst in the Power 5 conferences. Sgt. Suntan loves to be seen. Yes, they missed some blatant calls, but, IMHO, Stoops has reached his ceiling as a Head Coach.
Exactly right on two points. Jordan Jones showed how big of a baby he could be last night again. He should have been canned after the temper tantrum in the UL game but Stoops don’t mind looking like a ******* on national tv. And correct about his ceiling being reached as a head coach. I’ll give him credit, he has done a better job of recruiting, but that’s about where it ends for him. He can recruit pretty well considering it’s Kentucky, but hiring a staff and managing a team he cannot.

As for Johnson, kid has a big heart, plays tough, just isn’t accurate. Doesn’t help that nobody can catch on this team when he does throw a strike. Wish him all the best, he will do well in life. This new JUCO QB coming in seems a lot like him, only more accurate. Now just get receivers that can catch and they may have something. Next year the East will be better with the hire of some new coaches, so Stoops better be ready or it will be a bad year.
Axel Foley (12-30-2017)
Send a private message to Demarcus ware Add Demarcus ware to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:49 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 68 Times in 62 Posts
Axel Foley is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Demarcus ware View Post
Exactly right on two points. Jordan Jones showed how big of a baby he could be last night again. He should have been canned after the temper tantrum in the UL game but Stoops donít mind looking like a ******* on national tv. And correct about his ceiling being reached as a head coach. Iíll give him credit, he has done a better job of recruiting, but thatís about where it ends for him. He can recruit pretty well considering itís Kentucky, but hiring a staff and managing a team he cannot.

As for Johnson, kid has a big heart, plays tough, just isnít accurate. Doesnít help that nobody can catch on this team when he does throw a strike. Wish him all the best, he will do well in life. This new JUCO QB coming in seems a lot like him, only more accurate. Now just get receivers that can catch and they may have something. Next year the East will be better with the hire of some new coaches, so Stoops better be ready or it will be a bad year.
You are correct. He and his staff are good recruiters. Just like you said, Stoops can't manage a game. I, also, love Stephen Johnson, as a player.
Demarcus ware (12-30-2017)
Send a private message to Axel Foley Add Axel Foley to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » College Sports » Football