Rate This Thread - Coach Jo Jo Kemp.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 01-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default Coach Jo Jo Kemp
Dunbar has added another former Wildcat to the coaching staff. What is everyone's opinion?
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 01-18-2018, 05:24 PM
Statistician
Liked 40 Times in 33 Posts
Explorer is on a distinguished road
Interesting to say the least.
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:18 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
Interesting to say the least.
My concern is Dunbar may be valuing style over substance. Kemp has zero coaching experience. Every school in Lex has former UK players and some with former NFL players. It’s not a big deal in Lexington to have former UK players on staff. Is my concern valid or not? Time will tell. I’m just not overly impressed. I could be wrong.
Explorer (01-19-2018)
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:52 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 116 Times in 91 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
Coaching and playing require 2 drastically different skill sets.

I'm not saying he won't or can't be a good coach, but being an SEC RB doesn't make someone a good coach.
Explorer (01-19-2018), Malcolm Ex (01-18-2018)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:21 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by TheHotSnakes View Post
Coaching and playing require 2 drastically different skill sets.

I'm not saying he won't or can't be a good coach, but being an SEC RB doesn't make someone a good coach.
Agree completely. Dunbar relying on style not substance once again IMO.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Statistician
Liked 99 Times in 68 Posts
DarthVader is on a distinguished road
I've never got the assumption that good players would be good coaches. Just because you were bigger and faster than a lot of people when the lights came on doesn't mean you know anything about the game from a coaching perspective. In a lot of instances guys know even less because they didn't have to learn to gain an advantage due to their physical abilities. But man it looks good on paper to the average fan!
OchoOcho (01-18-2018)
Send a private message to DarthVader Add DarthVader to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:19 PM
Water Boy
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
OchoOcho is on a distinguished road
Agree 100% : Coaching comes down to the ability to explain and teach details combined with the ability to motivate kids to perfect them . I wish all coaches the best because I want kids to be put in a position to succeed !!! Bigger , better faster helps on the field... motivation and details are what counts from the sideline . Good luck to Jo Jo and all coaches !!!
Send a private message to OchoOcho Add OchoOcho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:06 PM
Statistician
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Time will tell. I'm still not sold on Wes Johnson. Adding UK players to his staff doesn't sell him anymore. I think there are quality coaches out there who never played a down of college football.

Has Johnson tried contacting the coaches who were on staff last year? There were a couple of guys with good experience that probably could have helped.
Axel Foley (01-20-2018), doubledown (01-22-2018)
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:51 PM
Starter
Liked 438 Times in 320 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
Plenty of guys that could do it on the field that also have done it on the sidelines, and plenty who werenít/arenít as good on the coaching side of things. You can find more than adequate examples for each case all over the place ...just depends on which side of the narrative youíre wanting to defend if it gets down to that.

I could name a slew of head coaches in this state who excelled on their respected division(s) of play in college who have (had) varied levels of success (under that large umbrella terms) coaching.
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:25 AM
Statistician
If youíre trying to boost numbers. Thereís not a better way to do that than putting a sec rb most of those kids know and recognize as one of the assistant coaches. With that sad. I hope he can coach and realizes what he is getting into time commitment wise. I hope itís not a gimmic to get kids out to play and he really does want to coach.
Fly Like a Duck (01-19-2018)
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:04 AM
Starter
Liked 438 Times in 320 Posts
Fly Like a Duck is on a distinguished road
If youíre trying to boost numbers. Thereís not a better way to do that than putting a sec rb most of those kids know and recognize as one of the assistant coaches. With that sad. I hope he can coach and realizes what he is getting into time commitment wise. I hope itís not a gimmic to get kids out to play and he really does want to coach.
In a day and age where more people turn their head to the thought of coaching by either never doing it or getting out of it as soon as they can or just in general Iíd say this is a very solid hire.

Guessing heís not married and/or without kids. Once one or both of those start coming along is when you start seeing many guys get out of it (and understandably so in many cases; zero disrespect to them bc there comes a time when all hang up the whistle), so Iím definitely giving him the benefit of the doubt
Send a private message to Fly Like a Duck Add Fly Like a Duck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:17 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 151 Times in 110 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Ok let's face it, Dunbar HS Football is a dumpster fire. You can't tell me that there isn't enough talent walking the halls to field a good team. I just don't believe there has been the excitement for the sport. No reason they should be 0-10. NONE.

So if this hire can spark interest inside that school to get some kids out to join the team then I say it's worth it. I mean, what is there to lose?
Explorer (01-19-2018), Fly Like a Duck (01-19-2018), Texas2step (01-19-2018)
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 01:27 PM
Statistician
I agree, this is the third thread on Dunbar this month. For a team that went 0-10 they have generated enough buzz to have us talking. Maybe that will be the beginning to a turnaround.
FoSho (01-19-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Cheerleader
Keep in mind this is not the first time Dunbar has had former UK players on staff. They had a HC who was a starting LB at UK, former OL’s, and so on even a strength coach with UK credentials. They have had all that at the end of the day they need substance over style. Time will tell if they do. It is just funny to see Dunbar make such a big deal about it. Every staff in Lex got former Cats on it.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
Ok let's face it, Dunbar HS Football is a dumpster fire. You can't tell me that there isn't enough talent walking the halls to field a good team. I just don't believe there has been the excitement for the sport. No reason they should be 0-10. NONE.

So if this hire can spark interest inside that school to get some kids out to join the team then I say it's worth it. I mean, what is there to lose?
They had former cats before. The humorous part of it is the big deal Johnson makes about as if no other school in Lex has precious former UK players, they all do.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:11 PM
Cheerleader
True it is just funny how big of a deal Johnson makes about it when every staff in Lex got former UK players who were better than the ones he has. Johnson is the Brian Landis Jr. of Lexington. If he can produce Landis results Iíll be happy tho.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:46 PM
Water Boy
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
God of Thunder is on a distinguished road
Why are you so concerned about who Coach Johnson hires? You speak like someone who has a beef with Coach Johnson.
Send a private message to God of Thunder Add God of Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 11:34 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by God of Thunder View Post
Why are you so concerned about who Coach Johnson hires? You speak like someone who has a beef with Coach Johnson.
Why does this type of post happen so often here?

Oh, you question this school or coach, then you must have an agenda or a connection, or blah blah blah.

Not to attack you or anything, but this is a high school sports forum, some people may have an agenda, but for the most part people are just calling it like they see it.
Malcolm Ex (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Cheerleader

Oh, you question this school or coach, then you must have an agenda or a connection, or blah blah blah.

Not to attack you or anything, but this is a high school sports forum, some people may have an agenda, but for the most part people are just calling it like they see it.
And the funny thing is, if you don't question someone publicly, then you'll get accused of being a homer, their best friend or a family member.

You either hate someone so much that you wish bad things upon them with every moment you are awake, or you were the best man in their wedding.
Explorer (01-22-2018), Malcolm Ex (01-22-2018)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 03:23 PM
Cheerleader

Savage you are you make an excellent point!
Explorer (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Statistician
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by God of Thunder View Post
People who send their kids to Dunbar and who pay to go to their games, usually want to know what is going on. Some of these parents have spent a lot of time out there trying to get things going in the right direction. They want to see if Wes Johnson was the right choice. You'd be singing a different tune if you were invested in the program.
Explorer (01-23-2018), Malcolm Ex (01-23-2018)
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:09 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
People who send their kids to Dunbar and who pay to go to their games, usually want to know what is going on. Some of these parents have spent a lot of time out there trying to get things going in the right direction. They want to see if Wes Johnson was the right choice. You'd be singing a different tune if you were invested in the program.
Mr. Draper you have to give Johnson a chance after all he is the all time winning coach at West Jessamine with 26 whopping wins 4 games over .500 26-22, oh I forgot he had one forfeit win so that makes it 27-22. There is great hope rising out of Man o war Blvd.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:30 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by Malcolm Ex View Post
Mr. Draper you have to give Johnson a chance after all he is the all time winning coach at West Jessamine with 26 whopping wins 4 games over .500 26-22, oh I forgot he had one forfeit win so that makes it 27-22. There is great hope rising out of Man o war Blvd.
Is West just stacked with championships before or after? Maybe I'm missing something, here.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:35 PM
Cheerleader
Is West just stacked with championships before or after? Maybe I'm missing something, here.
not that I know of why?
Old 01-24-2018, 02:52 PM
Cheerleader
not that I know of why?
I wasn't sure.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:03 PM
Cheerleader
I wasn't sure.
no it is just comical how big of a deal Johnson makes about it you should see his webpage. cheap laughs on my part that's all. no ill intent meant
Old 01-24-2018, 08:36 PM
Statistician
no it is just comical how big of a deal Johnson makes about it you should see his webpage. cheap laughs on my part that's all. no ill intent meant
Post a link.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,488 Times in 1,768 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Good luck to Jo Jo
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 151 Times in 110 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Every new hire has earned the right to try and build what he thinks is the foundation needed to make things happen. It's not easy to build a program from scratch. I applaud him for hiring Jo Jo. He's a recent former player at UK that the kids have heard of. I'm not at liberty to judge how he thinks the program should be built but if I was living in the school district I would be sure to get to know him and do everything I could to help. He has an unbelievably difficult job in front of him and deserves the respect and support of the PLD family.
Texas2step (01-29-2018)
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
Every new hire has earned the right to try and build what he thinks is the foundation needed to make things happen. It's not easy to build a program from scratch. I applaud him for hiring Jo Jo. He's a recent former player at UK that the kids have heard of. I'm not at liberty to judge how he thinks the program should be built but if I was living in the school district I would be sure to get to know him and do everything I could to help. He has an unbelievably difficult job in front of him and deserves the respect and support of the PLD family.
You don't brag about a 26-22 record and the hiring of former UK players who were average at best and have zero coaching experience. The city school staffs are filled with them. just go about your business and get more kids in the wieghtroom. I m gonna throw up if I see him brag one more time about hiring a former UK player with no coaching experience.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football