Rate This Thread - Perry Central coaching search.


Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 PM
RunItUpTheGut's Avatar
RunItUpTheGut RunItUpTheGut is offline
MOD


Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Corbin
Posts: 28,253
Likes: 6,950
Liked 7,956 Times in 5,499 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Default Perry Central coaching search
Let's get it started


Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

  #2  
Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 PM
The_Rock The_Rock is offline
Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,178
Likes: 19
Liked 302 Times in 223 Posts
The_Rock is on a distinguished road
Default
Shouldbe Ovie Canadys if he wants it. Hes very well deserving.
Likes: (2)
geauxtigers75 (02-07-2018), patsfan01 (02-06-2018)
Send a private message to The_Rock Add The_Rock to Your Contacts Top of page
  #3  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:32 AM
Reds#1Fan Reds#1Fan is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 409
Likes: 0
Liked 46 Times in 25 Posts
Reds#1Fan is on a distinguished road
Default
They are going to have to find a local guy. No big name coach is going to come and stay for a long period. Need to go young and try to build a program with someone. Canít start over every 3-4 years.
Send a private message to Reds#1Fan Add Reds#1Fan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #4  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:02 AM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is online now
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17,775
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,321 Times in 2,621 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
A Perry County native that went south?
__________________
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page
  #5  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:33 AM
sambo's Avatar
sambo sambo is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BBN
Posts: 32
Likes: 2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sambo is on a distinguished road
Default
Matt Robinson
Send a private message to sambo Add sambo to Your Contacts Top of page
  #6  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 AM
E's Army E's Army is online now
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16,287
Likes: 500
Liked 2,644 Times in 1,900 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Default
64SUR needs a job.
Likes: (2)
cherokee (02-15-2018), Granny Bear (02-07-2018)
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page
  #7  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 AM
JerryGarcia JerryGarcia is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 402
Likes: 82
Liked 64 Times in 55 Posts
JerryGarcia is on a distinguished road
Default
Ovie Canady should be your next coach
Send a private message to JerryGarcia Add JerryGarcia to Your Contacts Top of page
  #8  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:50 AM
zaga_fan's Avatar
zaga_fan zaga_fan is online now
Admin-a-hater



Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sector 7 Slums
Posts: 14,908
Likes: 188
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,912 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Default
Ovie makes the most sense. If he will take it, I think he's the best bet. They wouldn't have to start over from scratch.

Does Jordan Amis get another chance? He resigned after his first season due to some issues that were worked out not long after he left.

I imagine they'll get a handful of applicants.
Send a private message to zaga_fan Add zaga_fan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #9  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:01 AM
Real Badman's Avatar
Real Badman Real Badman is offline
Lacks the ability to love


Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 7,426
Likes: 53
Liked 642 Times in 444 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
Default
IMO someone outside is needed. People of Perry have a hard concept of understanding this. Haddix is probably the ceiling at Perry, you'll never see another like him.
__________________
I AM THE TRUTH
Send a private message to Real Badman Add Real Badman to Your Contacts Top of page
  #10  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:12 AM
zaga_fan's Avatar
zaga_fan zaga_fan is online now
Admin-a-hater



Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sector 7 Slums
Posts: 14,908
Likes: 188
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,912 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by Real Badman View Post
IMO someone outside is needed. People of Perry have a hard concept of understanding this. Haddix is probably the ceiling at Perry, you'll never see another like him.
When has Perry not embraced that concept?
In the school's history, I'm pretty sure Jordan Amis is the only coach to have any ties to the program before taking the job, unless you count Bert Browne returning to coach for a second stint.
Likes: (1)
geauxtigers75 (02-07-2018)
Send a private message to zaga_fan Add zaga_fan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #11  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 AM
ProudPanther ProudPanther is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 206
Likes: 4
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
ProudPanther is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Real Badman View Post
IMO someone outside is needed. People of Perry have a hard concept of understanding this. Haddix is probably the ceiling at Perry, you'll never see another like him.
Haddix is the ceiling at about 90% of the schools in the state. Pretty HIGH ceiling.... If they get close to Haddix they will have done exceptionally well.
Send a private message to ProudPanther Add ProudPanther to Your Contacts Top of page
  #12  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:45 AM
Single Wing 77 Single Wing 77 is offline
Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,098
Likes: 141
Liked 426 Times in 273 Posts
Single Wing 77 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Reds#1Fan View Post
They are going to have to find a local guy. No big name coach is going to come and stay for a long period. Need to go young and try to build a program with someone. Canít start over every 3-4 years.
They're going to have to make it a priority to keep someone for the long haul. As long as football plays second fiddle to basketball, coaches will leave as soon as a better offer comes along.
Send a private message to Single Wing 77 Add Single Wing 77 to Your Contacts Top of page
  #13  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:48 AM
Real Badman's Avatar
Real Badman Real Badman is offline
Lacks the ability to love


Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 7,426
Likes: 53
Liked 642 Times in 444 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
When has Perry not embraced that concept?
In the school's history, I'm pretty sure Jordan Amis is the only coach to have any ties to the program before taking the job, unless you count Bert Browne returning to coach for a second stint.
Perry is just the Perry-est place in Kentucky. Probably should pack it up.
__________________
I AM THE TRUTH
Send a private message to Real Badman Add Real Badman to Your Contacts Top of page
  #14  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:49 AM
geauxtigers75's Avatar
geauxtigers75 geauxtigers75 is offline
Head Coach

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perry County
Posts: 3,021
Likes: 380
Liked 709 Times in 504 Posts
geauxtigers75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by Real Badman View Post
Perry is just the Perry-est place in Kentucky. Probably should pack it up.
Why don't you pack your account up and never post again, that would be awesome.
Send a private message to geauxtigers75 Add geauxtigers75 to Your Contacts Top of page
  #15  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 AM
The_Rock The_Rock is offline
Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,178
Likes: 19
Liked 302 Times in 223 Posts
The_Rock is on a distinguished road
Default
Perry needs to drop down to 3A. Not sure if they could or not. I think Tom had the program going in the right direction and someone like Ovie will keep things improving. I think Ovie would throw the football a little more and get some of the basketball players to come out. Ovie has done more with the youth football programs than anyone that I can remember has. He runs all the weightlifting and conditioning programs to. He is the best choice by far. He just needs to be givin a chance. He lives and breathes football.
Send a private message to The_Rock Add The_Rock to Your Contacts Top of page
  #16  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Real Badman's Avatar
Real Badman Real Badman is offline
Lacks the ability to love


Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 7,426
Likes: 53
Liked 642 Times in 444 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by geauxtigers75 View Post
Why don't you pack your account up and never post again, that would be awesome.

But I am too irrelevant to ignore.
__________________
I AM THE TRUTH
Send a private message to Real Badman Add Real Badman to Your Contacts Top of page
  #17  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:58 AM
geauxtigers75's Avatar
geauxtigers75 geauxtigers75 is offline
Head Coach

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perry County
Posts: 3,021
Likes: 380
Liked 709 Times in 504 Posts
geauxtigers75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by The_Rock View Post
Perry needs to drop down to 3A. Not sure if they could or not. I think Tom had the program going in the right direction and someone like Ovie will keep things improving. I think Ovie would throw the football a little more and get some of the basketball players to come out. Ovie has done more with the youth football programs than anyone that I can remember has. He runs all the weightlifting and conditioning programs to. He is the best choice by far. He just needs to be givin a chance. He lives and breathes football.
It'd be 4A, and i'm thinking we will move there when the next major realignment takes place. And I agree, Coach Canady is a good man that loves the game and would be great for the program.
Send a private message to geauxtigers75 Add geauxtigers75 to Your Contacts Top of page
  #18  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:02 AM
zaga_fan's Avatar
zaga_fan zaga_fan is online now
Admin-a-hater



Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sector 7 Slums
Posts: 14,908
Likes: 188
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,912 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by Real Badman View Post
Perry is just the Perry-est place in Kentucky. Probably should pack it up.
I'm just going to assume since you refused to answer the question you are admitting you don't know what you're talking about and just spouting things off because you can.
Likes: (1)
RunItUpTheGut (02-07-2018)
Send a private message to zaga_fan Add zaga_fan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #19  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:12 AM
zaga_fan's Avatar
zaga_fan zaga_fan is online now
Admin-a-hater



Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sector 7 Slums
Posts: 14,908
Likes: 188
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,912 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by geauxtigers75 View Post
It'd be 4A, and i'm thinking we will move there when the next major realignment takes place. And I agree, Coach Canady is a good man that loves the game and would be great for the program.
Perry is at 4A numbers right now - so that'll be the case come realignment time.

I would imagine that would put them in the Clay, Knox, Rockcastle, Russell, Wayne district (assuming none of those are reclassified or someone nearby moves up or down).

I don't think district is much much easier to get wins than District 8 in 5A - but I think it would be a welcomed change.

But I think anyone watching the grade school program and seen the attitude change in general around the entire program since Larkey and Canady came over understands how good of a hire Ovie would be.
Likes: (1)
papagrit (02-10-2018)
Send a private message to zaga_fan Add zaga_fan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #20  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:22 AM
enknight84's Avatar
enknight84 enknight84 is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 113
Likes: 201
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
enknight84 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
When has Perry not embraced that concept?
In the school's history, I'm pretty sure Jordan Amis is the only coach to have any ties to the program before taking the job, unless you count Bert Browne returning to coach for a second stint.
It would be his third stint.
Send a private message to enknight84 Add enknight84 to Your Contacts Top of page
  #21  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:25 AM
geauxtigers75's Avatar
geauxtigers75 geauxtigers75 is offline
Head Coach

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Perry County
Posts: 3,021
Likes: 380
Liked 709 Times in 504 Posts
geauxtigers75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
Perry is at 4A numbers right now - so that'll be the case come realignment time.

I would imagine that would put them in the Clay, Knox, Rockcastle, Russell, Wayne district (assuming none of those are reclassified or someone nearby moves up or down).

I don't think district is much much easier to get wins than District 8 in 5A - but I think it would be a welcomed change.

But I think anyone watching the grade school program and seen the attitude change in general around the entire program since Larkey and Canady came over understands how good of a hire Ovie would be.
Yea as far as enrollment is concerned we've been a 4A school playing up the past few years. I just hope when the realignment comes we can avoid Corbin's district if/when they are moved into 4A. I could see Letcher getting in the district with us and Wayne and Russell being moved out west, ending up with a Perry-Letcher-Clay-Knox-Rockcastle district, close to how it looked from 2001-2006 when these teams were together in the old class 3A.

Last part is very true and can't be stated enough, the youth program is in the best shape it's ever been and it's in big part to both of those men. They've done wonders for the program in the 3 years they have been here.
Send a private message to geauxtigers75 Add geauxtigers75 to Your Contacts Top of page
  #22  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:38 AM
RunItUpTheGut's Avatar
RunItUpTheGut RunItUpTheGut is offline
MOD


Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Corbin
Posts: 28,253
Likes: 6,950
Liked 7,956 Times in 5,499 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Default
No way to avoid corbin now.
They will definitely be 4A and if Perry doesnt ask or isnt granted permission to play up, theyll be stuck with corbin, letcher, clay, and most likely Rock.
This is the most likely scenario IMO.

However, Perry, Letcher, Clay, and Knox could be in a district and they could stick corbin, rock, and wayne in a different district.
That is likely if the map works out.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page
  #23  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:38 AM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is online now
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17,775
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,321 Times in 2,621 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
Ovie makes the most sense. If he will take it, I think he's the best bet. They wouldn't have to start over from scratch.

Does Jordan Amis get another chance? He resigned after his first season due to some issues that were worked out not long after he left.

I imagine they'll get a handful of applicants.
I was wondering what happened to Jordan Amis.
__________________
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page
  #24  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:41 AM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is online now
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 17,775
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,321 Times in 2,621 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by geauxtigers75 View Post
Why don't you pack your account up and never post again, that would be awesome.

__________________
Likes: (1)
Santa Monica (02-07-2018)
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page
  #25  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:58 AM
zaga_fan's Avatar
zaga_fan zaga_fan is online now
Admin-a-hater



Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sector 7 Slums
Posts: 14,908
Likes: 188
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,912 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by enknight84 View Post
It would be his third stint.
You did not understand what I said.
Send a private message to zaga_fan Add zaga_fan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #26  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:11 AM
zaga_fan's Avatar
zaga_fan zaga_fan is online now
Admin-a-hater



Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Sector 7 Slums
Posts: 14,908
Likes: 188
Liked 2,748 Times in 1,912 Posts
zaga_fan will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
No way to avoid corbin now.
They will definitely be 4A and if Perry doesnt ask or isnt granted permission to play up, theyll be stuck with corbin, letcher, clay, and most likely Rock.
This is the most likely scenario IMO.

However, Perry, Letcher, Clay, and Knox could be in a district and they could stick corbin, rock, and wayne in a different district.
That is likely if the map works out.
There are a lot of moving parts. You would have to imagine Perry, Letcher and Clay would be in the same district - Corbin/Rockcastle/Russell/Wayne could all be moved out west or be a part of that.

Honestly, Johnson Central is probably as close to Perry and Letcher as they are the rest of the schools in their district. Maybe they get thrown into the mix?
Send a private message to zaga_fan Add zaga_fan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #27  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:13 AM
Granny Bear's Avatar
Granny Bear Granny Bear is offline
BGR Staff



Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: "In the deep dark hills....."
Posts: 16,890
Likes: 6,854
Liked 5,946 Times in 3,770 Posts
Granny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the roughGranny Bear is a jewel in the rough
Default
I know Ovie personally, and I could not respect anyone more than I respect him.

In my opinion, you couldn't find a coach more suited for this particular position than him.
__________________
Likes: (3)
DBPSDO (03-18-2018), papagrit (02-10-2018), patsfan01 (02-07-2018)

Last edited by Granny Bear; 02-11-2018 at 12:45 AM.
Send a private message to Granny Bear Add Granny Bear to Your Contacts Top of page
  #28  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:17 AM
AnswertheBell AnswertheBell is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 380
Likes: 16
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
AnswertheBell is on a distinguished road
Default
Better question is why Perry would stay 4A, I would think they would want to stay 5A.
Send a private message to AnswertheBell Add AnswertheBell to Your Contacts Top of page
  #29  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Real Badman's Avatar
Real Badman Real Badman is offline
Lacks the ability to love


Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 7,426
Likes: 53
Liked 642 Times in 444 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
Default
All jokes aside, I really like a lot of people near the Perry program. Ovie would do well.
__________________
I AM THE TRUTH
Send a private message to Real Badman Add Real Badman to Your Contacts Top of page
  #30  
Old 02-07-2018, 03:43 PM
I Rule The World's Avatar
I Rule The World I Rule The World is offline
Starter
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Make America Great Again!! Trust REX!!!
Posts: 1,040
Likes: 0
Liked 175 Times in 115 Posts
I Rule The World is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by zaga_fan View Post
There are a lot of moving parts. You would have to imagine Perry, Letcher and Clay would be in the same district - Corbin/Rockcastle/Russell/Wayne could all be moved out west or be a part of that.

Honestly, Johnson Central is probably as close to Perry and Letcher as they are the rest of the schools in their district. Maybe they get thrown into the mix?
Guys are forgetting about Harlan Co. too... And I will bet that Johnson Central gets to stay in 4A because there will be no 5A schools even remotely close to them...
Send a private message to I Rule The World Add I Rule The World to Your Contacts Top of page
Closed Thread

  BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football

Bookmarks

Tags
edit

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -9. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.