Rate This Thread - Dunbar 2018.


Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default Dunbar 2018
Now that a new head coach and his staff is in place how did his first week go this week? How many kids lifted this week? What does 2018 look like for the Bulldogs? Updates anyone? Gonna keep a close eye on Dunbar this year.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

  #2  
Old 01-11-2018, 11:03 AM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
I'd like to know what the numbers are like around the city.

I wonder who has better numbers, Dunbar or LCA? Dunbar is the third largest school in Lexington and LCA is the smallest.
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:22 PM
Texas2step Texas2step is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Likes: 9
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Texas2step is on a distinguished road
Default
I know booster people at Henry Clay, Lafayette and Dunbar. I gathered some info from them this morning.

Henry Clay was 40 ish
Lafayette had in the mid 50's
Dunbar was 45
Madison Central 40 ish

All of these were not counting any eighth graders lifting up.

Dunbar had all coaches in attendance and they have brought back Paul Rains' strength coach. From what I was told it was highly organized and work was happening.

Also, Dunbar has had three more additions to the staff. I don't know their names but one was Lafayette's OC last year. This is all from a parent so I can't 100% validate the coach's info.
Send a private message to Texas2step Add Texas2step to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Texas2step View Post
I know booster people at Henry Clay, Lafayette and Dunbar. I gathered some info from them this morning.

Henry Clay was 40 ish
Lafayette had in the mid 50's
Dunbar was 45
Madison Central 40 ish

All of these were not counting any eighth graders lifting up.

Dunbar had all coaches in attendance and they have brought back Paul Rains' strength coach. From what I was told it was highly organized and work was happening.

Also, Dunbar has had three more additions to the staff. I don't know their names but one was Lafayette's OC last year. This is all from a parent so I can't 100% validate the coach's info.
I've been as skeptical as anyone but give credit where it is due sound like Coach Johnson is off to a solid start if what you are reporting is accurate.
Likes: (1)
Texas2step (01-11-2018)
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-15-2018, 05:00 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Has Coach Johnson finalized his staff?
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-22-2018, 03:41 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Any updates beside the hiring of all-time UK great J. Jo Kemp?
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
Heard they have around 45 in the weight room. Have a few seniors who have been pretty consistent working out over the past few years and it seems the same ones are there again.
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-23-2018, 01:59 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Heard they have around 45 in the weight room. Have a few seniors who have been pretty consistent working out over the past few years and it seems the same ones are there again.
Not overly impressive. Johnson better get that number up.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2018, 03:01 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Got a message from someone who coached with Johnson. Needless to say the person was not very high on Johnson. Hopefully Johnson has grown. hopefully his mentor AD Howell will get him straight.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2018, 09:28 PM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Malcolm Ex View Post
Got a message from someone who coached with Johnson. Needless to say the person was not very high on Johnson. Hopefully Johnson has grown. hopefully his mentor AD Howell will get him straight.
The last time Jason Howell and Wes Johnson were on the sideline together, the Dunbar Bulldogs went 1-9. I'd bet a significant amount of money that history repeats itself just 10 short years later.

And I say that hoping I'm wrong. I want to see this senior class do well. I just don't think it'll happen.
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The last time Jason Howell and Wes Johnson were on the sideline together, the Dunbar Bulldogs went 1-9. I'd bet a significant amount of money that history repeats itself just 10 short years later.

And I say that hoping I'm wrong. I want to see this senior class do well. I just don't think it'll happen.
Yes I recall that Howell was the hc and Johnson was assistant not a good year. As the saying goes if it donít work the first time do it again because it will work the second time.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 AM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Malcolm Ex View Post
Yes I recall that Howell was the hc and Johnson was assistant not a good year. As the saying goes if it donít work the first time do it again because it will work the second time.
Johnson worked under Howell the first time. Now, he is working under him again, with Johnson as the head coach and Howell the AD.

I guess the question we should all be asking, is how much control does Johnson really have? Is Howell calling the shots for Dunbar?
Likes: (1)
Malcolm Ex (01-27-2018)
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-27-2018, 02:04 AM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Johnson worked under Howell the first time. Now, he is working under him again, with Johnson as the head coach and Howell the AD.

I guess the question we should all be asking, is how much control does Johnson really have? Is Howell calling the shots for Dunbar?
Do you think Howell is the one of the reasons Dunbar struggles?
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:16 AM
E's Army E's Army is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 14,351
Likes: 465
Liked 2,490 Times in 1,770 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Default
Has to be better than last year
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-27-2018, 10:00 PM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Malcolm Ex View Post
Do you think Howell is the one of the reasons Dunbar struggles?
From what I've been told, Howell didn't have anything to do with last year. I bet he has everything to do with this year though.

You know what they say, if at first you don't succeed (with Johnson and Howell), try (and fail) again.
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Texas2step Texas2step is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Likes: 9
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Texas2step is on a distinguished road
Default
Johnson has never worked for Howell. He worked with David Hensley there. Howell came after Hensley
Send a private message to Texas2step Add Texas2step to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Texas2step Texas2step is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Likes: 9
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Texas2step is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
The last time Jason Howell and Wes Johnson were on the sideline together, the Dunbar Bulldogs went 1-9. I'd bet a significant amount of money that history repeats itself just 10 short years later.

And I say that hoping I'm wrong. I want to see this senior class do well. I just don't think it'll happen.

Didn't happen. They never coached together. You're listening to the wrong people.
Send a private message to Texas2step Add Texas2step to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-29-2018, 11:47 AM
Texas2step Texas2step is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Likes: 9
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Texas2step is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Malcolm Ex View Post
Not overly impressive. Johnson better get that number up.
You said above that was an impressive start.

No one has a lot more. Lafayette with 50'ish leads pack with numbers.
Send a private message to Texas2step Add Texas2step to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM
Texas2step Texas2step is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Likes: 9
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Texas2step is on a distinguished road
Default
This started as a pretty good thread but has now turned to garbage because of the lack of facts being spewed out on here. That's a shame. Someone turn it around!
Send a private message to Texas2step Add Texas2step to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 AM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Texas2step View Post
Johnson has never worked for Howell. He worked with David Hensley there. Howell came after Hensley
Howell was the head coach in 2008. Johnsonís resume says 2006-2008. So technically, it should say 2006-2007 then, which has been the biggest issue with me. This guy has only coached one year since 2007. Itís crazy to set expectations for a guy with that little experience in 10 season.
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Texas2step Texas2step is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 24
Likes: 9
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Texas2step is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Howell was the head coach in 2008. Johnsonís resume says 2006-2008. So technically, it should say 2006-2007 then, which has been the biggest issue with me. This guy has only coached one year since 2007. Itís crazy to set expectations for a guy with that little experience in 10 season.
Agreed. He was teaching there in the spring of 08 then Howell coached fall of 08 so he was probably counting it in teaching years which is different than our normal business fiscal year.

I completely agree with your statement on expectations. People should just wait and watch. Dunbar is trying to get excited about and generate some for football. All the negative needs to just chill. Let the guy see what he can do. Let's criticize the hire in after year 2. Let's see where numbers are then. Let's see if they are more competitive etc. Negative talk at this point is pointless.
Likes: (1)
Iam4thecats (01-29-2018)
Send a private message to Texas2step Add Texas2step to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-29-2018, 02:28 PM
Iam4thecats Iam4thecats is online now
2nd String
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 894
Likes: 123
Liked 266 Times in 187 Posts
Iam4thecats is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Texas2step View Post
Agreed. He was teaching there in the spring of 08 then Howell coached fall of 08 so he was probably counting it in teaching years which is different than our normal business fiscal year.

I completely agree with your statement on expectations. People should just wait and watch. Dunbar is trying to get excited about and generate some for football. All the negative needs to just chill. Let the guy see what he can do. Let's criticize the hire in after year 2. Let's see where numbers are then. Let's see if they are more competitive etc. Negative talk at this point is pointless.
Its good to see someone comment on a Dunbar thread who's not trying to sabotage the program.
Send a private message to Iam4thecats Add Iam4thecats to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-29-2018, 05:10 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Texas2step View Post
Agreed. He was teaching there in the spring of 08 then Howell coached fall of 08 so he was probably counting it in teaching years which is different than our normal business fiscal year.

I completely agree with your statement on expectations. People should just wait and watch. Dunbar is trying to get excited about and generate some for football. All the negative needs to just chill. Let the guy see what he can do. Let's criticize the hire in after year 2. Let's see where numbers are then. Let's see if they are more competitive etc. Negative talk at this point is pointless.
Fair enough
Likes: (1)
Texas2step (01-29-2018)
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-29-2018, 05:11 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Texas2step View Post
This started as a pretty good thread but has now turned to garbage because of the lack of facts being spewed out on here. That's a shame. Someone turn it around!
Fair criticism but some are legit question not statements of facts but there are some statements that need to corrected. Dunbar's past makes it hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-29-2018, 08:06 PM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
Its good to see someone comment on a Dunbar thread who's not trying to sabotage the program.
I don't think anyone is trying to sabotage the program. I want this to be their best year.
Likes: (2)
Explorer (01-30-2018), Texas2step (01-29-2018)
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-31-2018, 04:13 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Howell was the head coach in 2008. Johnsonís resume says 2006-2008. So technically, it should say 2006-2007 then, which has been the biggest issue with me. This guy has only coached one year since 2007. Itís crazy to set expectations for a guy with that little experience in 10 season.
So are you saying Johnson lied on his resume or made a mistake?
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Heard they have around 45 in the weight room. Have a few seniors who have been pretty consistent working out over the past few years and it seems the same ones are there again.
These numbers are lower than the Mullins and Rains era. I thought they would increase after all the excitement of adding two legendry former SEC UK players. Johnson and staff better work those halls.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-01-2018, 09:56 AM
Don Draper's Avatar
Don Draper Don Draper is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 125
Likes: 4
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
Don Draper is on a distinguished road
Default
Former Dunbar DC Jon Smith was just hired at Tates Creek.

Smith applied to Dunbar and they hired Chris Mullins, instead. He should've gotten the job, but was passed over by someone who won 13 games in five seasons.

I wonder if he applied at Dunbar this time around because his resume is much better than Wes Johnson's over the past decade.

Smith had a great defense this year and a great defense his last year at Dunbar. He coached in the state finals within the past decade as well. The only coaching Johnson has done over the last 10 years was running the offense for a 1-10 LCA team that averaged just 14 points a game.

Am I missing something here?
Send a private message to Don Draper Add Don Draper to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-01-2018, 10:14 AM
Iam4thecats Iam4thecats is online now
2nd String
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 894
Likes: 123
Liked 266 Times in 187 Posts
Iam4thecats is on a distinguished road
Default
Smith hasnít coached in the finals. I wish you guys would stop bending over backward to trash Dunbar
Send a private message to Iam4thecats Add Iam4thecats to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-01-2018, 11:08 AM
Malcolm Ex Malcolm Ex is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 336
Likes: 64
Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Iam4thecats View Post
Smith hasn’t coached in the finals. I wish you guys would stop bending over backward to trash Dunbar
Trashing the program? It is a message board where people state opinions. The admin at Dunbar needs to be held accountable and this is the platform to do it.They mistreat people and make bad decisions for the kids. Dunbar should have hired Atchley over Johnson who applied for it this year. I don't think Atchley is great but he is a lot better and more accomplished than Johnson who has not coached one year in the last 10 and went 1-10 at LCA as oc. this is what best for the kids and program?hard to be positive when they keep doing the same thing.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Reply

  BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -9. The time now is 11:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.