Rate This Thread - Top 10 Coaches in the Mountains: Present Day.


Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Real Badman's Avatar
Real Badman Real Badman is offline
Lacks the ability to love


Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 7,430
Likes: 53
Liked 643 Times in 445 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
Default Top 10 Coaches in the Mountains: Present Day
Who are your top 10 coaches in the mountains, presently coaching? Why?
__________________
I AM THE TRUTH
Send a private message to Real Badman Add Real Badman to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

  #2  
Old 02-07-2018, 12:17 PM
SportsFan67 SportsFan67 is offline
Equipment Manager
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 78
Likes: 3
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
SportsFan67 is on a distinguished road
Default
Haywood has to be first. After that Im not putting them in any order but my 2 through 6 would be Matney (JC), Macnamee (Pikeville), Dixon (Hazard), Haddix (Corbin), Hilton (Bell County) and those could be in any order I think and I wouldn't have a complaint. 7-10 in any order would be Creech (Harlan County), Chirico (Paintsville), Herron (Williamsburg), and Hoskins (Knox Central).

1.Haywood his dynasty speaks for itself
2-6 no order these 5 have are always competitive in their classes no matter what happens.
Matney
Macnamee
Dixon
Haddix
Hilton
7-10 no order these 4 keep their programs competing also. Chirico has had a couple teams fall short is why he is not in the upper group.
Creech
Chirico
Herron
Hoskins

Last edited by SportsFan67; 02-07-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to add my reasoning.
Send a private message to SportsFan67 Add SportsFan67 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2018, 01:56 PM
cherokee cherokee is offline
2nd String
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 780
Likes: 135
Liked 355 Times in 189 Posts
cherokee is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by SportsFan67 View Post
Haywood has to be first. After that Im not putting them in any order but my 2 through 6 would be Matney (JC), Macnamee (Pikeville), Dixon (Hazard), Haddix (Corbin), Hilton (Bell County) and those could be in any order I think and I wouldn't have a complaint. 7-10 in any order would be Creech (Harlan County), Chirico (Paintsville), Herron (Williamsburg), and Hoskins (Knox Central).

1.Haywood his dynasty speaks for itself
2-6 no order these 5 have are always competitive in their classes no matter what happens.
Matney
Macnamee
Dixon
Haddix
Hilton
7-10 no order these 4 keep their programs competing also. Chirico has had a couple teams fall short is why he is not in the upper group.
Creech
Chirico
Herron
Hoskins
Haywood
Matney
Haddix
Macnamee
Dixon
Hines
Hilton
Chirico
Southwestern Coach
Herron
Send a private message to cherokee Add cherokee to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2018, 08:00 PM
JerryGarcia JerryGarcia is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 412
Likes: 89
Liked 66 Times in 57 Posts
JerryGarcia is on a distinguished road
Default
Phillip Haywood
Jim Matney
Justin Haddix
Dudley Hilton
Preacher Mikey Clem
Likes: (2)
64SUR (02-07-2018), cherokee (02-07-2018)
Send a private message to JerryGarcia Add JerryGarcia to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 PM
DarthVader's Avatar
DarthVader DarthVader is online now
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 324
Likes: 103
Liked 115 Times in 77 Posts
DarthVader is on a distinguished road
Default
I would rank them in this order:

1. Hilton
2. Haywood
3. Matney
4. Hines
5. French
6. Dixon
7. MacNamee
8. Herron
9. Lucas
10. Chirico
Send a private message to DarthVader Add DarthVader to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:40 PM
Football_Maniac Football_Maniac is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 133
Likes: 4
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Football_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default
Hilton ahead of Haywood? Bizzare. Matney ahead of French? Some interesting juice you are drinking.
Likes: (2)
Hatz (02-07-2018), OutlawJoseyWales (02-08-2018)
Send a private message to Football_Maniac Add Football_Maniac to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 PM
DarthVader's Avatar
DarthVader DarthVader is online now
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 324
Likes: 103
Liked 115 Times in 77 Posts
DarthVader is on a distinguished road
Default
No, was French at .500 or better in a 20 year run at Sheldon Clark? Hasn't done much better at a lot better football jobs over the years. French is still a VERY good coach even great coach, but this is list is splitting hairs at the top and at the bottom.

Dudley has done more with less than any coach in Ky. over the years. Haywood is great too but the places Dudley has won at gives him the nod for me although really they both are great at what they do.
Send a private message to DarthVader Add DarthVader to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2018, 10:34 PM
Hatz Hatz is offline
Head Coach
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,206
Likes: 1,099
Liked 474 Times in 313 Posts
Hatz is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by DarthVader View Post
No, was French at .500 or better in a 20 year run at Sheldon Clark? Hasn't done much better at a lot better football jobs over the years. French is still a VERY good coach even great coach, but this is list is splitting hairs at the top and at the bottom.

Dudley has done more with less than any coach in Ky. over the years. Haywood is great too but the places Dudley has won at gives him the nod for me although really they both are great at what they do.
French took a Mercer County program to the Class A semifinals in 1986.

Took Meade County to the AAA finals.

Took a down and out Lincoln County to the 5A semifinals.

Went 43-1 in his first three years at Boyle and two State Titles.

So that coach from Southwestern, as another poster called him, has done better than most of the coaches on these lists.
Likes: (1)
DarthVader (02-07-2018)
Send a private message to Hatz Add Hatz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03 PM
DarthVader's Avatar
DarthVader DarthVader is online now
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 324
Likes: 103
Liked 115 Times in 77 Posts
DarthVader is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Hatz View Post
French took a Mercer County program to the Class A semifinals in 1986.

Took Meade County to the AAA finals.

Took a down and out Lincoln County to the 5A semifinals.

Went 43-1 in his first three years at Boyle and two State Titles.

So that coach from Southwestern, as another poster called him, has done better than most of the coaches on these lists.
That Ole Bobcat Coach led Breathitt County into existence.

Knocked out French's Meade County team in the 91 Finals.

Was the 1 in that 43-1 start at Boyle County.

Dudley has won at places that people should not be able to win at, consistently. All the schools Dud has been at have one thing in common and that is they were a whole lot better with him than without him. All of these guys on this list are absolutely great coaches, but a lot of them have done it at places that were pretty dang good before they got there and will be pretty dang good after they leave. You won't find a bigger Larry French fan than myself, I just think Dudley has done as much at places where it's harder to do over the years.

Matney is the same way, stayed way too long at Sheldon Clark. The war on poverty started in Martin County, he would have as many state titles as some of these other guys if not for some little blue birdies he had to meet in his deep post season runs. Really glad to see Coach Matney finally get over the hump the last few years.
Send a private message to DarthVader Add DarthVader to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:19 PM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18,098
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by Football_Maniac View Post
Hilton ahead of Haywood? Bizzare. Matney ahead of French? Some interesting juice you are drinking.
Hilton is ahead for sure. not everybody drinks the Kool-Aid made from the Tug River water.
__________________
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Football_Maniac Football_Maniac is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 133
Likes: 4
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
Football_Maniac is on a distinguished road
Default
Larry beat Dudley’s teams the next two years in the semis to win back to back state championships also. Lincoln wasn’t much before Larry. Nor was Meade. Boyle had struggled. Southwestern was in a rough patch. Both he and dud can restore things quickly.

Tomato tomata. Both dandy’s. Both in top 5 all time imo. Haywood tops no matter what. He builds it. They come. Like Kevin Costner.
Likes: (2)
FoSho (02-19-2018), Hatz (02-08-2018)
Send a private message to Football_Maniac Add Football_Maniac to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-07-2018, 11:24 PM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18,098
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by Football_Maniac View Post
Larry beat Dudley’s teams the next two years in the semis to win back to back state championships also. Lincoln wasn’t much before Larry. Nor was Meade. Boyle had struggled. Southwestern was in a rough patch. Both he and dud can restore things quickly.

Tomato tomata. Both dandy’s. Both in top 5 all time imo. Haywood tops no matter what. He builds it. They come. Like Kevin Costner.
Build "it" and they will come...from West Virginia.
__________________
Likes: (1)
DarthVader (02-07-2018)
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:11 AM
OutlawJoseyWales OutlawJoseyWales is offline
Starter
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,145
Likes: 232
Liked 359 Times in 262 Posts
OutlawJoseyWales is on a distinguished road
Default
Once again.....the green eyed monster rears its ugly head.
Likes: (1)
99PIRATEFAN (02-12-2018)
Send a private message to OutlawJoseyWales Add OutlawJoseyWales to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Hatz Hatz is offline
Head Coach
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,206
Likes: 1,099
Liked 474 Times in 313 Posts
Hatz is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by DarthVader View Post
That Ole Bobcat Coach led Breathitt County into existence.

Knocked out French's Meade County team in the 91 Finals.

Was the 1 in that 43-1 start at Boyle County.

Dudley has won at places that people should not be able to win at, consistently. All the schools Dud has been at have one thing in common and that is they were a whole lot better with him than without him. All of these guys on this list are absolutely great coaches, but a lot of them have done it at places that were pretty dang good before they got there and will be pretty dang good after they leave. You won't find a bigger Larry French fan than myself, I just think Dudley has done as much at places where it's harder to do over the years.

Matney is the same way, stayed way too long at Sheldon Clark. The war on poverty started in Martin County, he would have as many state titles as some of these other guys if not for some little blue birdies he had to meet in his deep post season runs. Really glad to see Coach Matney finally get over the hump the last few years.
I wasn't arguing that French should be ahead of Dudley. I was pointing out French's coaching career. I probably quoted you by mistake when my main gripe was with the guy who could not even give the name of the Southwestern coach.

I think it's Haywood and Dudley and a huge gap before #3 and following.
Likes: (1)
DarthVader (02-08-2018)
Send a private message to Hatz Add Hatz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 AM
DarthVader's Avatar
DarthVader DarthVader is online now
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 324
Likes: 103
Liked 115 Times in 77 Posts
DarthVader is on a distinguished road
Default
I would agree with that. Crazy that they played each other in their first game coaching. What's the chances of that.
Likes: (1)
Hatz (02-08-2018)
Send a private message to DarthVader Add DarthVader to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Gitback Coach Gitback Coach is offline
Starter
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,011
Likes: 2,589
Liked 197 Times in 152 Posts
Gitback Coach is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Inevitably, the answer comes down to wins and trophies, but there are some really challenging coaching jobs in eastern KY, and I always respect and appreciate those coaches that manage to do more with less sometimes.
Send a private message to Gitback Coach Add Gitback Coach to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-09-2018, 01:57 AM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18,098
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
Some of you forgot to add Frazier and Chappell to your lists. Chappell will help get that rushing attack going, and Frazier will have the defense ready for war.
__________________
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-09-2018, 02:01 AM
DarthVader's Avatar
DarthVader DarthVader is online now
Cheerleader
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 324
Likes: 103
Liked 115 Times in 77 Posts
DarthVader is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Gitback Coach View Post
Inevitably, the answer comes down to wins and trophies, but there are some really challenging coaching jobs in eastern KY, and I always respect and appreciate those coaches that manage to do more with less sometimes.
This is definitely the truth. In most of these cases it's the jobs that make these lists instead of the coaches. These guys would struggle at some schools and some guys that struggle would flourish if they had these jobs.
Send a private message to DarthVader Add DarthVader to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-09-2018, 02:09 AM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18,098
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by DarthVader View Post
This is definitely the truth. In most of these cases it's the jobs that make these lists instead of the coaches. These guys would struggle at some schools and some guys that struggle would flourish if they had these jobs.
I agree. I think Frazier is top notch. He just needs the resources to put him in the best position to win.
__________________
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-12-2018, 02:51 PM
99PIRATEFAN's Avatar
99PIRATEFAN 99PIRATEFAN is offline
Head Coach
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Belfry Ky
Posts: 2,399
Likes: 425
Liked 484 Times in 392 Posts
99PIRATEFAN is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
Hilton is ahead for sure. not everybody drinks the Kool-Aid made from the Tug River water.

We don’t have to drink anything Championships and wins says it all
Send a private message to 99PIRATEFAN Add 99PIRATEFAN to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 PM
pjdoug's Avatar
pjdoug pjdoug is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 18,098
Likes: 7,438
Liked 3,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by 99PIRATEFAN View Post
We don’t have to drink anything Championships and wins says it all
not much pride or glory in winning with players from another state.
__________________
Send a private message to pjdoug Add pjdoug to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 AM
Bulldogs4Ever Bulldogs4Ever is offline
Scout Team
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 561
Likes: 1
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Bulldogs4Ever is on a distinguished road
Default
Justin Haddix, Mark Dixon, Haywood, and Matney.
Send a private message to Bulldogs4Ever Add Bulldogs4Ever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-19-2018, 12:04 PM
ArJay ArJay is offline
Scout Team
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 528
Likes: 11
Liked 94 Times in 77 Posts
ArJay is on a distinguished road
Default
I still say Hayword and Hilton have to be 1 and 2. Hilton will re-build Bell County yet again and be on top of the mountain soon.
Send a private message to ArJay Add ArJay to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Reply

  BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -9. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.