Rate This Thread - Sayre High School to Start Football Again.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
Malcolm Ex is on a distinguished road
Default Sayre High School to Start Football Again
I am hearing the Sayre Spartans a private school in Lexington, Kentucky will bring back football starting with a JV schedule coached by Chad Pennington. The Spartans disbanded their football program in the mid 70’s and were fairly decent. Is this fact or fiction about bringing back the football program?
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:53 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 547 Times in 402 Posts
FoSho is on a distinguished road
Yippie, another private school!! 🙄
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:00 AM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,354 Times in 1,123 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Just what we need. Send he privates to their own class
Send a private message to Strikeout King Add Strikeout King to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Statistician
Liked 52 Times in 43 Posts
Frank Martin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FoSho View Post
Yippie, another private school!! 🙄
Is there a problem with private schools? Sayre has been around for over 160 years and has been an excellent education option for many. I am of the belief that options are good. Adding football just helps them be on more equal footing with the other private schools in Lexington. With the issues some of the Lexington public schools are having the more choices the better.
thsrocks (02-15-2018)
Send a private message to Frank Martin Add Frank Martin to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 135 Times in 105 Posts
TheHotSnakes is on a distinguished road
Public or private, it's always good when a new team starts playing football.

Or, I guess a new old team from a well known school? Not sure of the phrasing on this one.
thsrocks (02-15-2018)
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:21 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,758 Times in 1,991 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
With the resources at Sayre they could be competitive in a hurry. How many high schools have an ex NFL quarterback coaching them?
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:30 AM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by E's Army View Post
With the resources at Sayre they could be competitive in a hurry. How many high schools have an ex NFL quarterback coaching them?
How did he get involved in this? I mean, I loved watching him at Marshall, and I've always liked the Jets. But, has he coached anywhere before? His Wiki page says they live in Woodford County, but that's about all it has on his personal life currently.
Send a private message to TheHotSnakes Add TheHotSnakes to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:45 AM
Statistician
Originally Posted by TheHotSnakes View Post
How did he get involved in this? I mean, I loved watching him at Marshall, and I've always liked the Jets. But, has he coached anywhere before? His Wiki page says they live in Woodford County, but that's about all it has on his personal life currently.
He has led the football program at The Lexington School for the last several years. A lot of the kids from there go to Sayre. His father was a long time high school football coach so football is in his blood.
TheHotSnakes (02-15-2018), thsrocks (02-15-2018)
Send a private message to Frank Martin Add Frank Martin to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:03 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by Frank Martin View Post
He has led the football program at The Lexington School for the last several years. A lot of the kids from there go to Sayre. His father was a long time high school football coach so football is in his blood.
I had never heard of The Lexington School, and totally thought you were just speaking in code until Google gave me some help.

Good for him. Watching him at Marshall was always a lot of fun when I was younger, so I'm glad to see him in the state and starting something like this.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:37 PM
Cheerleader
Reports out of Sayre confirm they are starting a Frosh/JV team and hope to field a varsity team within 3-4 years. No confirmation on who the HC will be. James Pennington not Chad is the head coach of The Lexington School M.S. team. Chad's name has not been connected to the Sayre job according to my sources close to the ground. Good for them. I like seeing schools add football.
Send a private message to Malcolm Ex Add Malcolm Ex to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:50 PM
Water Boy
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
God of Thunder is on a distinguished road
Chad Pennington’s full name is James Chadwick Pennington. He is indeed the Head Football Coach of The Lexington School.
Malcolm Ex (02-15-2018), thsrocks (02-15-2018)
Send a private message to God of Thunder Add God of Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Statistician
Originally Posted by Malcolm Ex View Post
Reports out of Sayre confirm they are starting a Frosh/JV team and hope to field a varsity team within 3-4 years. No confirmation on who the HC will be. James Pennington not Chad is the head coach of The Lexington School M.S. team. Chad's name has not been connected to the Sayre job according to my sources close to the ground. Good for them. I like seeing schools add football.
Chad Pennington and James Pennington are the same person. I have heard he is helping get the program off the ground. I have not heard wether or not he will be coaching.
Malcolm Ex (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:59 PM
Statistician
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Explorer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by TheHotSnakes View Post
I had never heard of The Lexington School, and totally thought you were just speaking in code until Google gave me some help.

Good for him. Watching him at Marshall was always a lot of fun when I was younger, so I'm glad to see him in the state and starting something like this.
I lived there for 4 years and didn't know that school existed.
TheHotSnakes (02-15-2018)
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:02 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,758 Times in 1,991 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Does he have a son playing?
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:02 PM
Statistician
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
ProudPanther is on a distinguished road
I never have understood the knock on private schools. This is what i know about private schools. It costs 10K or more to go on a yearly basis. They have stricter codes of conduct then public schools.They have more options available for student discipline. They typically produce students that score higher on ACT and SAT's. They put a higher percentage of students in college. And yes many do place a greater emphasis on athletics. Some may give very limited need based scholarships. But in today's private school world in Kentucky, they typically don't go recruit the best players from other schools and let them go free.

If we had a private school close and I could afford it, my kids would go. It's an embarrassment the way that many public schools kids, fans, parents act at sporting events (including my own school). My experience is that at private schools if it happens, it happens once.
Explorer (02-20-2018)
Send a private message to ProudPanther Add ProudPanther to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:34 PM
Asst. Coach
For the record I couldn't care less about how many private schools open in KY. I'm all about doing what's best for your family. But don't be surprised if I make fun of you for spending all that money for tuition.

😬

......and FYI the WORST acting fanbase I have EVER seen in all my years was at a LCA football game. They were a disgrace to their school and more importantly the Christian Faith.
Send a private message to FoSho Add FoSho to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:16 PM
Statistician
For the record I couldn't care less about how many private schools open in KY. I'm all about doing what's best for your family. But don't be surprised if I make fun of you for spending all that money for tuition.

😬

......and FYI the WORST acting fanbase I have EVER seen in all my years was at a LCA football game. They were a disgrace to their school and more importantly the Christian Faith.
Feel free to make fun. My son and I will laugh all the way to the bank. Best investment I ever made. It may not be for everyone but it was for us.
Explorer (02-20-2018), Gitback Coach (02-17-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Asst. Coach
Feel free to make fun. My son and I will laugh all the way to the bank. Best investment I ever made. It may not be for everyone but it was for us.
Your son may very well be successful in his life and that's awesome but his private high school education will have little to nothing to do with it.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:00 PM
Statistician
Your son may very well be successful in his life and that's awesome but his private high school education will have little to nothing to do with it.
You have no clue what effect it has had on my son. The education he received, and the connections he made completely changed the course of his life. Like I said, best investment I have ever made.
Gitback Coach (02-17-2018)

Last edited by Frank Martin; 02-15-2018 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Add
Old 02-15-2018, 11:20 PM
Asst. Coach
You have no clue what effect it has had on my son. The education he received, and the connections he made completely changed the course of his life. Like I said, best investment I have ever made.
I can tell I've hit a nerve. Lmao

Congrats on your sons education. I'm sure it was spectacular.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by God of Thunder View Post
Chad Pennington’s full name is James Chadwick Pennington. He is indeed the Head Football Coach of The Lexington School.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. He will be the HC of Sayre.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:28 PM
Cheerleader
Chad Pennington and James Pennington are the same person. I have heard he is helping get the program off the ground. I have not heard wether or not he will be coaching.
Correct, I was wrong.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:13 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 813 Times in 609 Posts
bac2369 is on a distinguished road
What class would they be in?
Send a private message to bac2369 Add bac2369 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:28 AM
Asst. Coach
Originally Posted by bac2369 View Post
My guess is 1A?!??
Old 02-16-2018, 03:19 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 3,693 Times in 2,905 Posts
pjdoug is on a distinguished road
I can tell I've hit a nerve. Lmao

Congrats on your sons education. I'm sure it was spectacular.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:48 AM
Cheerleader
Originally Posted by bac2369 View Post
I'm sure they'll be 1A, and that probably won't ever change.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:01 PM
Suspended
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
SwallowedMyWhistle2 is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a Great Idea, more football teams = more weeks of football. First Week will be called Week -1!!!!
Send a private message to SwallowedMyWhistle2 Add SwallowedMyWhistle2 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:02 PM
Suspended
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GreysHeadline is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SwallowedMyWhistle2 View Post
Sounds like a Great Idea, more football teams = more weeks of football. First Week will be called Week -1!!!!
Roll Tide!!
Send a private message to GreysHeadline Add GreysHeadline to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Cheerleader
from what I am hearing they will be able to house kids from out of state eventually uh oh IMG academy of Kentucly
Old 03-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Starter
Liked 43 Times in 36 Posts
hchs fan is on a distinguished road
wow
Send a private message to hchs fan Add hchs fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football