Rate This Thread - Pikeville 2018.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Starter
Liked 157 Times in 122 Posts
WILDCAT NATION is on a distinguished road
Default Pikeville 2018
Thoughts and predictions?
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:08 AM
Head Coach
Location: Give me a bottle of anything....and a glazed doughnut...TO GO!!!
Liked 687 Times in 282 Posts
HAIL PIKEVILLE! is on a distinguished road
Sky is the limit with this group. They return everyone except one Senior. Big, Strong and now experienced line anchored by junior center Caden Slater who reminds me of his predecessor, Logan Coleman. A Senior QB playmaker in Connor Roberts whose confidence only seemed to grow as the season progressed last season. Youíd be hard pressed to find a more gifted receiver corps in 1A than Jackson Hensley, Christian Billiter, Seth Pugh, and Campbell Dawahare who returns after suffering an ACL injury in preseason practice last year. This group presents a serious matchup nightmare. Hensley and Billiter have the size and speed to victimize DBs at will. Pugh has the height and hands to be a serious threat in the red zone. Dawahare out of the slot has the speed to get behind LBs and make the tough catches to keep the sticks moving. Zach Roberts took a step forward @ RB last year and I look for more of the same this year.

Defensively itís more of the same: Speed and Athleticism at every position. Jessie Sparks and Bull Hunter anchor the D-Line. Caden Caudill and Conner Wright should continue to be forces @ Linebacker. Billiter, Hensley and Dawahare will be playmakers @ DB.

Special Teams will see Tanner Hamilton @ K who had a good season last year and Seth Pugh continue to handle punting duties which he improved at last season.

Coaching: We have the best in the State in 1A w/ Coach Mac and a staff that every bit as good top to bottom as any weíve had since the late Ď80s/ Early Ď90s.

What has always impressed me about this group from the time they were in Little League is their competitiveness and that showed last year in the playoffs as they gained valuable experience and improved from a 1-4 start to ending a last second field goal away from going to Kroger Field. Now that team is all back a year older and stronger. Add in a incoming Freshman class who finished as the State Runner-Up in Jr High last season with a couple of players who could see the field a little bit, especially on Special Teams. That gives you something that even the best 1A teams would kill for: Depth!
I know anything can happen and Iím not sizing the rings up yet by any stretch. But itís hard to not be excited about this season.
Big Five-0- (02-17-2018), docakers (06-01-2018), jetpilot (02-16-2018), KettleKorn (03-01-2018), Patriot1 (02-22-2018), PHSForever (02-17-2018), SPORTS FAN 101 (03-01-2018)
Send a private message to HAIL PIKEVILLE! Add HAIL PIKEVILLE! to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:28 AM
Starter
Originally Posted by HAIL PIKEVILLE! View Post
Sky is the limit with this group. They return everyone except one Senior. Big, Strong and now experienced line anchored by junior center Caden Slater who reminds me of his predecessor, Logan Coleman. A Senior QB playmaker in Connor Roberts whose confidence only seemed to grow as the season progressed last season. Youíd be hard pressed to find a more gifted receiver corps in 1A than Jackson Hensley, Christian Billiter, Seth Pugh, and Campbell Dawahare who returns after suffering an ACL injury in preseason practice last year. This group presents a serious matchup nightmare. Hensley and Billiter have the size and speed to victimize DBs at will. Pugh has the height and hands to be a serious threat in the red zone. Dawahare out of the slot has the speed to get behind LBs and make the tough catches to keep the sticks moving. Zach Roberts took a step forward @ RB last year and I look for more of the same this year.

Defensively itís more of the same: Speed and Athleticism at every position. Jessie Sparks and Bull Hunter anchor the D-Line. Caden Caudill and Conner Wright should continue to be forces @ Linebacker. Billiter, Hensley and Dawahare will be playmakers @ DB.

Special Teams will see Tanner Hamilton @ K who had a good season last year and Seth Pugh continue to handle punting duties which he improved at last season.

Coaching: We have the best in the State in 1A w/ Coach Mac and a staff that every bit as good top to bottom as any weíve had since the late Ď80s/ Early Ď90s.

What has always impressed me about this group from the time they were in Little League is their competitiveness and that showed last year in the playoffs as they gained valuable experience and improved from a 1-4 start to ending a last second field goal away from going to Kroger Field. Now that team is all back a year older and stronger. Add in a incoming Freshman class who finished as the State Runner-Up in Jr High last season with a couple of players who could see the field a little bit, especially on Special Teams. That gives you something that even the best 1A teams would kill for: Depth!
I know anything can happen and Iím not sizing the rings up yet by any stretch. But itís hard to not be excited about this season.
Great information. Is Seth Pugh Daric's younger brother?
Send a private message to WILDCAT NATION Add WILDCAT NATION to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Outta Space Balla

Liked 1,453 Times in 793 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by WILDCAT NATION View Post
Great information. Is Seth Pugh Daric's younger brother?
Yes. More similar build and skill set to their brother, Wes, who is arguably Pike Centralís best WR in school history.
jetpilot (02-16-2018)
Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Starter
Originally Posted by Panther Thunder View Post
Yes. More similar build and skill set to their brother, Wes, who is arguably Pike Centralís best WR in school history.
Daric was great at Pikeville but I think he may wind up being better at G'town! They have a real shot at a national title over the next 2-3 years.
jetpilot (02-16-2018), Patriot1 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
jgrlzz is on a distinguished road
Does anyone happen to know their schedule?
Send a private message to jgrlzz Add jgrlzz to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by jgrlzz View Post
Does anyone happen to know their schedule?
Not 100% sure about all of it, but they should have LCA (Pike County Bowl) Paintsville, Hazard, and Belfry all @ Home this year.
jetpilot (02-16-2018), Patriot1 (02-22-2018)
Send a private message to HAIL PIKEVILLE! Add HAIL PIKEVILLE! to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Head Coach
I donít think there much argument to it...
jetpilot (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:03 PM
Head Coach
Liked 808 Times in 551 Posts
Big Five-0- is on a distinguished road

Great summation HP. Depth ,talent, and great coaching will pay dividends as the season progresses.
jetpilot (02-16-2018)
Send a private message to Big Five-0- Add Big Five-0- to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:35 PM
Hall of Fame

Liked 2,379 Times in 1,400 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Love this thread and the posts are spot on. I just want to add that Pikeville D improved by leaps and bounds from beginning of year to playoffs last year and was playing at a very high level. This bunch reminds me of 80s when Pikeville was climbing the mountain to greatness...
Big Five-0- (02-17-2018), Patriot1 (02-22-2018)
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:38 AM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by jetpilot View Post
Love this thread and the posts are spot on. I just want to add that Pikeville D improved by leaps and bounds from beginning of year to playoffs last year and was playing at a very high level. This bunch reminds me of 80s when Pikeville was climbing the mountain to greatness...
Was thinking the same thing earlier jp. If this team is anywhere close to those teams of the late 80's, then we're in for a ride. Can't wait !
jetpilot (02-17-2018)
Send a private message to Big Five-0- Add Big Five-0- to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:02 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,561 Times in 1,832 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Should be big favorite in the East. As good as they were last year I look for them to take a big step forward.
Big Five-0- (02-17-2018), jetpilot (02-17-2018)
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:02 PM
Hall of Fame

Sky is the limit with this group. They return everyone except one Senior. Big, Strong and now experienced line anchored by junior center Caden Slater who reminds me of his predecessor, Logan Coleman. A Senior QB playmaker in Connor Roberts whose confidence only seemed to grow as the season progressed last season. You’d be hard pressed to find a more gifted receiver corps in 1A than Jackson Hensley, Christian Billiter, Seth Pugh, and Campbell Dawahare who returns after suffering an ACL injury in preseason practice last year. This group presents a serious matchup nightmare. Hensley and Billiter have the size and speed to victimize DBs at will. Pugh has the height and hands to be a serious threat in the red zone. Dawahare out of the slot has the speed to get behind LBs and make the tough catches to keep the sticks moving. Zach Roberts took a step forward @ RB last year and I look for more of the same this year.

Defensively it’s more of the same: Speed and Athleticism at every position. Jessie Sparks and Bull Hunter anchor the D-Line. Caden Caudill and Conner Wright should continue to be forces @ Linebacker. Billiter, Hensley and Dawahare will be playmakers @ DB.

Coaching: We have the best in the State in 1A w/ Coach Mac and a staff that every bit as good top to bottom as any we’ve had since the late ‘80s/ Early ‘90s.

I know anything can happen and I’m not sizing the rings up yet by any stretch. But it’s hard to not be excited about this season.
Great post HP! Is Watkins going to be back? Another speedy, excellent receiver, and excellent defensive player as well.
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:39 PM
Outta Space Balla

Liked 1,453 Times in 793 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
Great post HP! Is Watkins going to be back? Another speedy, excellent receiver, and excellent defensive player as well.
Yes.

Only losses are Jake Wilkerson, Zach Hamilton, and Wyatt Battaile (DNP in 2017)
jetpilot (02-17-2018)
Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Yes.

Only losses are Jake Wilkerson, Zach Hamilton, and Wyatt Battaile (DNP in 2017)
Thanks for the info PT. I was hoping HP didn't have any inside info that Watkins had decided not to play his senior season. Good player.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Head Coach

Location: Setting sail with Capt. Morgan and never leaving dry land
Liked 1,572 Times in 949 Posts
PHSForever is on a distinguished road
Not 100% sure about all of it, but they should have LCA (Pike County Bowl) Paintsville, Hazard, and Belfry all @ Home this year.
As well, I believe Calloway County pays a return visit to Pikeville, but I’m not sure if the Tolsia game was set up as a two year agreement? If so, Tolsia at Home. Road games look to be at Covington Holy Cross, at Grundy, at Phelps? Anyone have confirmation on any of those? Be nice to see them pick up one more if these are set
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:45 PM
Head Coach

Location: Setting sail with Capt. Morgan and never leaving dry land
Liked 1,572 Times in 949 Posts
PHSForever is on a distinguished road
As well, I believe Calloway County pays a return visit to Pikeville, but Iím not sure if the Tolsia game was set up as a two year agreement? If so, Tolsia at Home. Road games look to be at Covington Holy Cross, at Grundy, at Phelps? Anyone have confirmation on any of those? Be nice to see them pick up one more if these are set
Big Five-0- (02-26-2018)
Send a private message to PHSForever Add PHSForever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:23 PM
Head Coach
Thanks Jet! Yes Watkins will be back! Knew I was forgetting someone...
jetpilot (02-19-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Statistician
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
bobcats#1fan is on a distinguished road
Watkins is a very good player!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! (02-18-2018), SPORTS FAN 101 (03-01-2018)
Send a private message to bobcats#1fan Add bobcats#1fan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:32 AM
State Champion

Liked 1,316 Times in 974 Posts
Scotty_Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
Pikeville will be a handful this year
Send a private message to Scotty_Bronson Add Scotty_Bronson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:52 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
KettleKorn is on a distinguished road
Don't forget about Jon Collum on D! Stout OLB.
Big Five-0- (02-20-2018), HAIL PIKEVILLE! (02-24-2018), jetpilot (02-19-2018), Panther Pride (02-19-2018)
Send a private message to KettleKorn Add KettleKorn to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
kysportsgod1 is on a distinguished road
Jon Collum is ight too
Send a private message to kysportsgod1 Add kysportsgod1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KettleKorn View Post
Don't forget about Jon Collum on D! Stout OLB.
Yes, really liked his play as well. He was constantly making plays on defense!
KettleKorn (02-28-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 03:40 PM
2nd String
Liked 432 Times in 293 Posts
Patriot1 is on a distinguished road
This is going to be a great year for football in 1A in the east. Raceland.Hazard,Paintsville and Pikeville will be battling it out again to see who represents the east. Hope that all teams stay healthy. Canít wait for it to get started, but I love them Panthers.
Big Five-0- (02-24-2018)
Send a private message to Patriot1 Add Patriot1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:23 PM
Moderated member. You need 5 posts without rule violation to be promoted to a full member.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
flatlander1972 is on a distinguished road
I like the upcoming Juniors. Lots of talent
Send a private message to flatlander1972 Add flatlander1972 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:21 PM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by PHSForever View Post
As well, I believe Calloway County pays a return visit to Pikeville, but Iím not sure if the Tolsia game was set up as a two year agreement? If so, Tolsia at Home. Road games look to be at Covington Holy Cross, at Grundy, at Phelps? Anyone have confirmation on any of those? Be nice to see them pick up one more if these are set
At Grundy. Last season Grundy came into Hambley with a chip on their shoulder, and the game got chippy. Panthers won though.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Head Coach
Originally Posted by Big Five-0- View Post
At Grundy. Last season Grundy came into Hambley with a chip on their shoulder, and the game got chippy. Panthers won though.
Thatís gonna be tough at their place.
Big Five-0- (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 06:16 PM
Head Coach
Thatís gonna be tough at their place.
Exactly. truly believe with the discipline that Coach Mac teaches, and with the talent that will be there this season, the Panthers will overcome and win just like last season.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:53 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
2000PHS is an unknown quantity at this point
I understand the excitement. It has been earned, but I donít want to hear this talk about them being like the late Ď80s teams. 87 Pikeville was just an unfair assembly of talent and heart. I will stick by this if they win the next 3 state titles. Unfair comparison.

As for 2018 Pikeville will be a tough out for anyone. Plus they would have homefield in the semi state. Coach Mac is as good as it gets. How in the world did Pikeville let him go!?
Send a private message to 2000PHS Add 2000PHS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:50 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 2000PHS View Post
I understand the excitement. It has been earned, but I donít want to hear this talk about them being like the late Ď80s teams. 87 Pikeville was just an unfair assembly of talent and heart. I will stick by this if they win the next 3 state titles. Unfair comparison.

As for 2018 Pikeville will be a tough out for anyone. Plus they would have homefield in the semi state. Coach Mac is as good as it gets. How in the world did Pikeville let him go!?
You didn't hear it. I said reminds me of when Pikeville was CLIMBING the mountain to greatness. Doesn't mean they will achieve greatness. But from someone who saw both groups come up through the ranks, there are some similarities. This year they will have 3 classes that played in the middle school state championship. Next year all 4 classes will have played for a middle school state championship. This bunch is special. How special is yet to be seen.
Big Five-0- (02-26-2018)

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football