Rate This Thread - KHSAA Approves for single elimination starting 2019.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,354 Times in 1,123 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
Default KHSAA Approves for single elimination starting 2019
Didn't see this until just now but apparently it was approved earlier today.

State tournament, starting 2019, will now be single elimination...per Jason Frake

BOISE STATE BRONCOS
KENTUCKY WILDCATS FOOTBALL!!!!
Send a private message to Strikeout King Add Strikeout King to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 PM
Head Coach

Liked 205 Times in 156 Posts
UKisN1 will become famous soon enough
KHSAA is a joke for women's sports. They are a Title IX violation in themselves.
Send a private message to UKisN1 Add UKisN1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:13 AM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
13th 4 Ever is on a distinguished road
Number one should have been moving the tourney to a better, more centralized location. The boys play on the Legends field. Why couldn't the girls play at UK?
Send a private message to 13th 4 Ever Add 13th 4 Ever to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 AM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Smokescreen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 13th 4 Ever View Post
Number one should have been moving the tourney to a better, more centralized location. The boys play on the Legends field. Why couldn't the girls play at UK?
I agree with you! A lot of nice "Sports Complexes" in Fayette, or even maybe Frankfort, the Capital of the state, just saying.
Send a private message to Smokescreen Add Smokescreen to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:55 PM
This is my favorite pastime

Liked 4,649 Times in 3,195 Posts
Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by UKisN1 View Post
KHSAA is a joke for women's sports. They are a Title IX violation in themselves.
I don't think I understand? Why should girls have the ONLY double elimination exception in Kentucky High School sports?
Old 02-23-2018, 03:28 PM

I think if your gonna have double elimination in one sport, you need to have it in all sports, or at least the sports that matter, basketball, softball, baseball, football....

Cutting it down to single elimination will take out a lot of games. Probably pointless games. What are the chances a team loses in the first round of the state softball tournament, to come back and win the whole thing? Probably 1-100%.

BOISE STATE BRONCOS
Stardust (02-27-2018)
Send a private message to Strikeout King Add Strikeout King to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, one positive out of this...... should be cutting ticket prices in half also!
lol, that's not gonna happen!
Send a private message to Smokescreen Add Smokescreen to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:37 PM
Head Coach

Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
I don't think I understand? Why should girls have the ONLY double elimination exception in Kentucky High School sports?
I believe baseball should be double elimination as well
Send a private message to UKisN1 Add UKisN1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:16 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
walterwhite will become famous soon enough
The first order of business should have been making sure that there would be no more portable fences used! I personally liked the double elimination format, but however it's played is fair across the board. Please play on regular softball fields!
Send a private message to walterwhite Add walterwhite to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Starter
Liked 411 Times in 281 Posts
Van Hagar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Strikeout King View Post
I think if your gonna have double elimination in one sport, you need to have it in all sports, or at least the sports that matter, basketball, softball, baseball, football....

Cutting it down to single elimination will take out a lot of games. Probably pointless games. What are the chances a team loses in the first round of the state softball tournament, to come back and win the whole thing? Probably 1-100%.

Thatís actually never happened. And only once has a team lost in the second round and still won it. So youíre dead on there.
Send a private message to Van Hagar Add Van Hagar to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:19 PM
Starter
Liked 411 Times in 281 Posts
Van Hagar is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post
The first order of business should have been making sure that there would be no more portable fences used! I personally liked the double elimination format, but however it's played is fair across the board. Please play on regular softball fields!
Amen brother. That has gotten under my skin for years. We actually played a number of state tournaments at Jtown in the late 90s, early 2000s, and they had grass infields! After not playing on them all year. We always thought a bad hop grounder on that crap cost us the 2000 title.
On the facilities, if itís single elimination, not sure why UK or U of L couldnít be used, like baseball at Legends Park. Only possible problem I would see there is if those programs were still playing, but that could be worked around I would think.
Send a private message to Van Hagar Add Van Hagar to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:48 PM
RETIRED

Liked 8,018 Times in 5,549 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has disabled reputation
The biggest problem in this entire mess isnt about the tournament itself, but the fact that a school like scott county or male can be matched up with williamsburg in the state tourney. ****, north laurel almost has 6A numbers and is in a region with mostly 1A threw 3A schools.

CLASS SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL.
Explorer (02-26-2018), Smokescreen (02-26-2018)
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:03 PM
Head Coach

Originally Posted by Strikeout King View Post

So volleyball doesn't matter...explain that one...KHSAA....only have sports that matter.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Cheerleader
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
rawlingsfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Little League does pool play
Most other state high school assocaitions do a best 2 out of 3 series each round of playoffs
College Baseball does head to head best of 3 in regionals, super regionals, CWS is double elimination
MLB has a division series, league championship series, and World Series

Kentucky High School baseball, no classification, single elimination post season

KHSAA is special I guess.
Send a private message to rawlingsfan Add rawlingsfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 02:32 PM

So volleyball doesn't matter...explain that one...KHSAA....only have sports that matter.
Yes it does. I think all sports that you can see on KHSAA should be the same in the post season, weather it's a single or double elimination....once you get to the state tournament.

BOISE STATE BRONCOS
Old 02-26-2018, 11:56 PM
Water Boy
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
brooksville is on a distinguished road
Especially when pitching is limited. However they changed it to be two weekends.
Send a private message to brooksville Add brooksville to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 PM
This is my favorite pastime

Liked 4,649 Times in 3,195 Posts
Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
Ok, I am a coach, so I get the argument. I would love to turn the clock back 20 years ago when we had sectionals and could play multiple games throughout a tournament before elimination. But that left you with 4 teams to play in the State Tournament. It is not feasible to have a double elimination at a Baseball State Tournament with 16 regional winners. You would need multiple days over two complete weekends. That would be impossible to do at Whitaker!

As a team that has played in the State Finals, I love the set-up that we have today. I don't want anything changed! Fans want it because they can watch their kids play more, but as a coach, its fine, don't break it!
Old 02-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Suspended
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
GreysHeadline is on a distinguished road
I like the new set-up, it's about time. The world's longest state tournament.
Send a private message to GreysHeadline Add GreysHeadline to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Water Boy
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
RaisedByBlue is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of having the first 2 rounds of games formatted similar to the Wild Card games in the MLB. Winners move on. Then once you get to the final 4, play a best of three series to determine who moves on to the championship. Then do the same best of three for the finals. That keeps teams honest in a sense that they know they must develop pitching to match that many games in a short period of time. It would limit those teams who have a killer night and find a way to beat teams better than them. It happens all the time. It would offer a more true state champion. Sure, it would take longer to play, but 3 weeks to find a winner is not bad considering the state football playoffs take 4 weeks to complete.

Classification in baseball and softball would definitely help those in Eastern Kentucky. It would be interesting to see how these changes would effect the game itself.
Send a private message to RaisedByBlue Add RaisedByBlue to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:31 PM
Water Boy
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Agree, I think it would attract more girls to get into the sport and retain them. It's hard for the small schools to compete in the state tournament, or even with the schools near the campuses of Large Colleges.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:13 PM
Statistician
Liked 48 Times in 39 Posts
Explorer is on a distinguished road
Think about the success these smaller schools would have if it went classed. It would add more young women to the game, and more communities seeing their school have success in a sport.
Smokescreen (02-28-2018)
Send a private message to Explorer Add Explorer to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:16 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 610 Times in 392 Posts
walterwhite will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Van Hagar View Post
Amen brother. That has gotten under my skin for years. We actually played a number of state tournaments at Jtown in the late 90s, early 2000s, and they had grass infields! After not playing on them all year. We always thought a bad hop grounder on that crap cost us the 2000 title.
On the facilities, if itís single elimination, not sure why UK or U of L couldnít be used, like baseball at Legends Park. Only possible problem I would see there is if those programs were still playing, but that could be worked around I would think.
Oh yeah, Skyview Park. Should have never hosted a state tournament of any level! I can't understand why the KHSAA can't hook up a deal with a fencing company and trade out signage and advertisement for chain link fencing that could be installed before the tournament starts and removed after it ends!
Send a private message to walterwhite Add walterwhite to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:54 PM
Statistician
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
Jackson Purchase is on a distinguished road
Yes. Lexington is SOOOO central.
Send a private message to Jackson Purchase Add Jackson Purchase to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Softball