Rate This Thread - Florida 80 (23)Kentucky 67.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:06 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,068 Times in 725 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Default Florida 80 (23)Kentucky 67
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) Jalen Hudson scored 22 points, Chris Chiozza broke the school's all-time assist record and Florida beat No. 23 Kentucky 80-67 on Saturday, ending the Wildcats' four-game winning streak.

The Gators won their third straight, swept Kentucky for the first time in four years and secured the No. 3 seed in next week's Southeastern Conference Tournament.

The Wildcats (21-10, 10-8 SEC) will be seeded fourth or fifth depending on the outcome of the Arkansas-Missouri game later Saturday. No team seeded lower than third has won the SEC Tournament since it went to a 14-team format in 2013.

Regardless, the loss won't sit well with coach John Calipari, whose team failed to match Florida's energy and effort on ''Senior Day.'' The Gators honored Chiozza, Egor Koulechov and injured center John Egbunu before the game.

The Wildcats showed some life midway through the second half, whittling a 23-point deficit to single digits (65-56). But Hudson answered with one of his biggest shots of the game, a 3-pointer from the wing that rattled around the rim before falling through with 6:17 remaining.

Koulechov followed with two free throws, and Keith Stone put an exclamation point on the lopsided victory with a thunderous dunk that sent the home crowd into a frenzy.

The Gators (20-11, 11-7) held on from there.

They used a barrage of dunks and 3-pointers, many of them off turnovers, to build a double-digit lead in the first half. Chiozza's record-breaking assist may have been the turning point.

Chiozza started to drive to the basket and then tossed the ball back out to Stone, who drilled a 3 that made it 28-17 and prompted Calipari to call a timeout.

The Gators made their next seven shots, including a pair of 3s by Hudson, to push the lead to 17.

KeVaughn Allen, who had one of the best all-around games of his career, tacked on a 3-pointer at the first-half buzzer to make it 48-33 at the break. Allen finished with nine points, seven rebounds and a career-high seven assists.

Florida was just getting warmed up, too.

Hudson hit back-to-back 3s early in the second half to make it 62-39.

Florida played hard for the fourth straight outing and looked much more like the team ranked No. 5 in early December than the one that dropped six of eight in league play between Jan. 24 and Feb. 21.

The Wildcats entered Saturday as the hottest team in the league, having won four straight while averaging 87.7 points a game. They looked like a shell of that team in Gainesville, giving up 16 points off turnovers and getting outscored in the paint and behind the arc.

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander led Kentucky with 17 points. Kevin Knox added 14.

BIG PICTURE

Kentucky: The Wildcats finished 4-6 on the road, not all that surprising since they have four freshmen and a sophomore in the starting lineup. Given the propensity of Big Blue Nation to travel, especially in the postseason, Kentucky should be surrounded by ''home'' crowds the rest of the season.

Florida: The Gators have seemingly found something just in time for the postseason, especially if they're able to build on wins against Auburn, Alabama and Kentucky.

UP NEXT

Kentucky: Plays in the SEC Tournament either Thursday or Friday.

Florida: Opens SEC Tournament play Friday night.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...180303_UK@FLA/
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:04 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,041 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
The 'Cats seemed poorly prepared for today's game. The SEC Tournament is about to start and Coach Calipari still has not started his best lineup to tip-off a game. There is no way that Richards and Diallo should be starting.

Coach Cal and his staff failed miserably to adequately prepare the team for today's big game. At this point in the season, you don't put a team on the floor based on potential. It doesn't matter that Richards and Diallo have the potential to be NBA lottery picks. They are not performing and they need to be on the bench at the beginning of the game and need to earn playing time by out working teammates who are clearly out playing them.
rookie57 (03-04-2018), sstack (03-04-2018)
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:17 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,779 Times in 2,181 Posts
pjdoug will become famous soon enough
Another lackluster effort. Were they even trying to win this one?
Old 03-04-2018, 01:03 AM
Suspended
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
13th Region Renegade is on a distinguished road
I'm not convinced this team will advance very far in the NCAA Tourney. Hope I'm wrong.
Send a private message to 13th Region Renegade Add 13th Region Renegade to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:27 AM
State Champion

Liked 688 Times in 472 Posts
sstack is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pjdoug View Post
Another lackluster effort. Were they even trying to win this one?
Rebounding effort was awful
Send a private message to sstack Add sstack to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 AM
Head Coach

Liked 1,013 Times in 702 Posts
Demarcus ware is on a distinguished road
It's like no one even cares at this point. Will be glad to see this crew move on. Has Cal even given up on this bunch? seems it.
Send a private message to Demarcus ware Add Demarcus ware to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 2,490 Times in 1,770 Posts
E's Army is on a distinguished road
Lucky Cats came up way short today. Gators took them out of their game.
Send a private message to E's Army Add E's Army to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:58 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by 13th Region Renegade View Post
I'm not convinced this team will advance very far in the NCAA Tourney. Hope I'm wrong.
I still think they will. I'm not giving up on them yet.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:59 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Demarcus ware View Post
It's like no one even cares at this point. Will be glad to see this crew move on. Has Cal even given up on this bunch? seems it.
it seems that way at times.
Old 03-04-2018, 02:43 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 55 Times in 42 Posts
AnswertheBell is on a distinguished road
On again , off again .....Cats are good, Cats are lazy. Cal is the man, fire Cal. Love our recruiting, hate one and done.

I love and hate Cat fans. LOL
Send a private message to AnswertheBell Add AnswertheBell to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:37 PM
MOD

Liked 7,886 Times in 5,449 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
^
Not me. I've hated this bunch since madness. They just don't have it. And they never will.

How big of a bust was Richards? That guy hasn't shown an inkling of potential the entire year.
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:10 PM
Suspended
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
13th Region Renegade is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
^
Not me. I've hated this bunch since madness. They just don't have it. And they never will.

How big of a bust was Richards? That guy hasn't shown an inkling of potential the entire year.
I won't go as far as saying that I hate a bunch of 19 y.o. kids, but this crop of characters seem to be consistently inconsistent. I think playing the second weekend of the Dance may be a bridge too far this season. It could happen but I'm not counting on it.
Send a private message to 13th Region Renegade Add 13th Region Renegade to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:30 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by AnswertheBell View Post
On again , off again .....Cats are good, Cats are lazy. Cal is the man, fire Cal. Love our recruiting, hate one and done.

I love and hate Cat fans. LOL
I couldn't have said that any better. Go Cats!
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by RunItUpTheGut View Post
^

I keep hoping Richards will come to life but he never does.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:50 PM
MOD

Liked 7,886 Times in 5,449 Posts
RunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura aboutRunItUpTheGut has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 13th Region Renegade View Post
I won't go as far as saying that I hate a bunch of 19 y.o. kids, but this crop of characters seem to be consistently inconsistent. I think playing the second weekend of the Dance may be a bridge too far this season. It could happen but I'm not counting on it.
Nobody saying they personally hate the players. We've never met them

But yes, I hate this team
Send a private message to RunItUpTheGut Add RunItUpTheGut to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:38 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,452 Times in 1,041 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
I am sure that Gonzaga and Michigan would gladly accept the transfer of any of Coach Calipari's 5-star recruits to help make room for UK's incoming 2019 freshmen class.

If they were eligible to enter the NBA draft straight out of high school, most of this year's UK recruits would have been drafted. Yet, most of them are struggling to compete against players who will never play professionally. That is on the coaching staff, not the players.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
I am sure that Gonzaga and Michigan would gladly accept the transfer of any of Coach Calipari's 5-star recruits to help make room for UK's incoming 2019 freshmen class.

If they were eligible to enter the NBA draft straight out of high school, most of this year's UK recruits would have been drafted. Yet, most of them are struggling to compete against players who will never play professionally. That is on the coaching staff, not the players.
I can't disagree with that.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » College Sports » Basketball