Rate This Thread - Shot Clock.


Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Cledog30 Cledog30 is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 43
Likes: 5
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cledog30 is on a distinguished road
Default Shot Clock
After the season do you think that KHSAA should bring in the SHOT CLOCK. And go to 16 minute half’s instead of 4 quarters..
Send a private message to Cledog30 Add Cledog30 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

  #2  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:07 PM
PioneerBlue's Avatar
PioneerBlue PioneerBlue is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 147
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
PioneerBlue is on a distinguished road
Default
Yes on the shot clock, no on the halves.
Likes: (1)
RealJokersWild24 (03-06-2018)
Send a private message to PioneerBlue Add PioneerBlue to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:12 PM
walterwhite's Avatar
walterwhite walterwhite is offline
Asst. Coach
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,595
Likes: 326
Liked 602 Times in 385 Posts
walterwhite will become famous soon enough
Default
No and no!
Send a private message to walterwhite Add walterwhite to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:35 PM
Rainingthrees Rainingthrees is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 151
Likes: 14
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rainingthrees is on a distinguished road
Default
Yes on shot clock, about 5 seconds longer than college. No on 2 halves.
Send a private message to Rainingthrees Add Rainingthrees to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:35 PM
UKisN1's Avatar
UKisN1 UKisN1 is online now
Head Coach

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southeastern Kentucky
Posts: 3,121
Likes: 102
Liked 199 Times in 151 Posts
UKisN1 will become famous soon enough
Default
no and no
Send a private message to UKisN1 Add UKisN1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:37 PM
Jaguarhoundbird Jaguarhoundbird is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 306
Likes: 0
Liked 72 Times in 54 Posts
Jaguarhoundbird is on a distinguished road
Default
Absolutely on the shot clock, and do away with the 5 second count. Then they can add the half circle in the lane for charges, since there's not a ref in the state of Kentucky that can tell you what a charge is.
Likes: (1)
RunItUpTheGut (03-06-2018)
Send a private message to Jaguarhoundbird Add Jaguarhoundbird to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-05-2018, 10:40 PM
Hound05's Avatar
Hound05 Hound05 is offline
Scout Team
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Corbin, Kentucky
Posts: 681
Likes: 244
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Hound05 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Jaguarhoundbird View Post
Absolutely on the shot clock, and do away with the 5 second count. Then they can add the half circle in the lane for charges, since there's not a ref in the state of Kentucky that can tell you what a charge is.
That last statement is the TRUTH! Even objectively watching other teams play it seems like on obvious calls they go the other way. I have no problem on the 50/50 plays. It’s judgment and a hard call to make with the speed of the game now. But the blatant ones??? No!
Send a private message to Hound05 Add Hound05 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-06-2018, 12:48 AM
rojas rojas is offline
Asst. Coach
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,668
Likes: 290
Liked 263 Times in 190 Posts
rojas is on a distinguished road
Default
Wouldn't that have to come from the National Association instead of the KHSAA?
Send a private message to rojas Add rojas to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-06-2018, 12:49 AM
Bstidham47's Avatar
Bstidham47 Bstidham47 is offline
Equipment Manager
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 71
Likes: 5
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Bstidham47 is on a distinguished road
Default
Definitely need the shot clock. It gets really boring watching a team milk a lead with as many as 4 to 5 minutes to go and they are literally standing at mid court holding the ball.
Likes: (2)
CoachV182 (03-06-2018), RealJokersWild24 (03-06-2018)
Send a private message to Bstidham47 Add Bstidham47 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:16 AM
RealJokersWild24 RealJokersWild24 is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Deep in the heart of Texas
Posts: 293
Likes: 121
Liked 54 Times in 39 Posts
RealJokersWild24 is on a distinguished road
Default
Shot clock is overdue. Don't see the advantage of two halves instead of four quarters.
Send a private message to RealJokersWild24 Add RealJokersWild24 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 AM
VoR_58 VoR_58 is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Lexington
Posts: 163
Likes: 6
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
VoR_58 will become famous soon enough
Default
Amen on the shot clock. Halves or quarters doesn't really matter though I don't think.
Send a private message to VoR_58 Add VoR_58 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 AM
3sporteagle's Avatar
3sporteagle 3sporteagle is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 125
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
3sporteagle is on a distinguished road
Default
If it wasn't for the fact that it seems that mens college basketball is looking to go to four quarters I would say yes to both the shot clock and the halves. However with them using the NIT as a guinea pig for quarters and a few other changes I think this means they are looking to go towards these rules. I think shot clock is needed even as low as middle school level to keep the game moving.
Send a private message to 3sporteagle Add 3sporteagle to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:28 AM
blue55 blue55 is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 237
Likes: 0
Liked 32 Times in 25 Posts
blue55 is on a distinguished road
Default
I've always felt that the offensive player initiates the charge/block call more often than not. No opinion on the shot clock, I hate the fouling at the end of a game to gain possible possession, make it a 2 shot foul regardless of the team foul count.
Send a private message to blue55 Add blue55 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:36 AM
Platinum & Gold Platinum & Gold is offline
Cheerleader
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 466
Likes: 2
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Platinum & Gold is on a distinguished road
Default
Usually when you play in quarters the biggest difference is the fouls will reset at the end of the first for the second. In high school though they keep going for the whole first half regardless. Essentially the only difference between quarters and halves is the guaranteed timeout at the 8:00 mark.
Send a private message to Platinum & Gold Add Platinum & Gold to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Patriot train Patriot train is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 154
Likes: 29
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Patriot train is on a distinguished road
Default
I don't believe the schools will have the funding to add shot clocks, so it will never come into high school basketball. They would have to have someone separate running it and the game clock and it's hard enough to get one person to do the clock, let alone 2. So I don't see it happening.

The arc under the basket has a real opportunity to be put in for next year, it has been talked about for the last couple of years and probably will be put in on trial basis for next season. This should help with the kids trying to take charges under the basket and make it an automatic block if inside the arc.

Have also heard they may be keeping quarters and resetting fouls after every quarter. Shooting 2 shots after 6 fouls of each quarter, like the college women do. This will cut down on free throws in the 2nd and 4th quarter because they start over, but everything will be 2 shots, no more 1-and-1. What do we think about this? Works well in womens college.

Also talking about letting home teams wear their school colors and making visiting teams wear white. They already do this in football and soccer, they are talking about it for basketball too. This will help on those special nights too when they want to wear pink, camo, etc.... They would be allowed to wear whatever color they want at home and visitors always will wear white.
These are just some of the possible changes they have talked about.
Send a private message to Patriot train Add Patriot train to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:59 AM
Rainingthrees Rainingthrees is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 151
Likes: 14
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rainingthrees is on a distinguished road
Default
I like the uniform change if that happens.
Send a private message to Rainingthrees Add Rainingthrees to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-06-2018, 12:14 PM
rojas rojas is offline
Asst. Coach
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,668
Likes: 290
Liked 263 Times in 190 Posts
rojas is on a distinguished road
Default
No to the shot clock. If you can play a good trapping man to man you don't need one. I guess if a laid back 2-3 zone is your defense of choice you would probably like a shot clock. Opposing coaches couldn't force you to come out on the floor and guard them when you were behind late in the game.

BTW, when college basketball added the shot clock scoring went down, not up. As stated above, teams that were behind had no motive to force the action on defense.
Send a private message to rojas Add rojas to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
CoachNM0523 CoachNM0523 is offline
Scout Team
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 508
Likes: 63
Liked 131 Times in 90 Posts
CoachNM0523 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Patriot train View Post
I don't believe the schools will have the funding to add shot clocks, so it will never come into high school basketball. They would have to have someone separate running it and the game clock and it's hard enough to get one person to do the clock, let alone 2. So I don't see it happening.

The arc under the basket has a real opportunity to be put in for next year, it has been talked about for the last couple of years and probably will be put in on trial basis for next season. This should help with the kids trying to take charges under the basket and make it an automatic block if inside the arc.

Have also heard they may be keeping quarters and resetting fouls after every quarter. Shooting 2 shots after 6 fouls of each quarter, like the college women do. This will cut down on free throws in the 2nd and 4th quarter because they start over, but everything will be 2 shots, no more 1-and-1. What do we think about this? Works well in womens college.

Also talking about letting home teams wear their school colors and making visiting teams wear white. They already do this in football and soccer, they are talking about it for basketball too. This will help on those special nights too when they want to wear pink, camo, etc.... They would be allowed to wear whatever color they want at home and visitors always will wear white.
These are just some of the possible changes they have talked about.
I like everything mentioned except the no more 1-and-1. I like how at least when teams are in the bonus, tacky touch calls can be just one foul shot. I'd hate to see every time a touch foul is called teams get two shots.
Send a private message to CoachNM0523 Add CoachNM0523 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:03 PM
Patriot train Patriot train is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 154
Likes: 29
Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Patriot train is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by CoachNM0523 View Post
I like everything mentioned except the no more 1-and-1. I like how at least when teams are in the bonus, tacky touch calls can be just one foul shot. I'd hate to see every time a touch foul is called teams get two shots.
They would get 5 touch fouls each quarter this way, then on the 6th each quarter they would give up 2 shots. Pretty good if you ask me!
Send a private message to Patriot train Add Patriot train to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:33 PM
CoachNM0523 CoachNM0523 is offline
Scout Team
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 508
Likes: 63
Liked 131 Times in 90 Posts
CoachNM0523 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Patriot train View Post
They would get 5 touch fouls each quarter this way, then on the 6th each quarter they would give up 2 shots. Pretty good if you ask me!
Ahhh I like it how it is right now. I like the pressure of having to nail free throws in crunch time. Especially one 1-1’s. Last night Corbin had a kid miss one, then South knocked a 3 to go into OT. If he gets two, the chances are he would’ve hit one, then you never see OT and the game is over.
Send a private message to CoachNM0523 Add CoachNM0523 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:38 PM
SwallowedMyWhistle2 SwallowedMyWhistle2 is offline
Suspended
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 167
Likes: 1
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
SwallowedMyWhistle2 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by CoachNM0523 View Post
Ahhh I like it how it is right now. I like the pressure of having to nail free throws in crunch time. Especially one 1-1’s. Last night Corbin had a kid miss one, then South knocked a 3 to go into OT. If he gets two, the chances are he would’ve hit one, then you never see OT and the game is over.
You are exactly right, very insightful analysis, Kid hits Free Throws no overtime. Love the pressure and adds to the drama of the game. Plus we get more popcorn.
Likes: (1)
CoachNM0523 (03-06-2018)
Send a private message to SwallowedMyWhistle2 Add SwallowedMyWhistle2 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:43 PM
Rainingthrees Rainingthrees is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 151
Likes: 14
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rainingthrees is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by SwallowedMyWhistle2 View Post
You are exactly right, very insightful analysis, Kid hits Free Throws no overtime. Love the pressure and adds to the drama of the game. Plus we get more popcorn.
Not at the Arena, they close concession stands at the start or just into the 4th quarter, absolutely stupid.
Send a private message to Rainingthrees Add Rainingthrees to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-06-2018, 01:46 PM
SwallowedMyWhistle2 SwallowedMyWhistle2 is offline
Suspended
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 167
Likes: 1
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
SwallowedMyWhistle2 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Rainingthrees View Post
Not at the Arena, they close concession stands at the start or just into the 4th quarter, absolutely stupid.
That is stupid!!!
Send a private message to SwallowedMyWhistle2 Add SwallowedMyWhistle2 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 PM
CB14 CB14 is offline
Equipment Manager
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 54
Likes: 14
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
CB14 is on a distinguished road
Default
Yes on the clock
Send a private message to CB14 Add CB14 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Reply

  BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Boys Basketball

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -9. The time now is 04:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.