Rate This Thread - Next Coach at Pikeville High School?.


Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Panther Thunder's Avatar
Panther Thunder Panther Thunder is online now
Outta Space Balla


Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Posted in the Back
Posts: 7,675
Likes: 1,126
Liked 1,384 Times in 762 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
Default Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
I want someone who is going to lead the team in the right direction while making it fun at the same time, and I would like to have someone who doesn't take crap from parents and fans alike. Get us a good one Coach G!! HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

  #2  
Old 01-08-2008, 02:26 PM
HAIL PIKEVILLE!'s Avatar
HAIL PIKEVILLE! HAIL PIKEVILLE! is online now
Head Coach
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Give me a bottle of anything....and a glazed doughnut...TO GO!!!
Posts: 2,585
Likes: 74
Liked 598 Times in 241 Posts
HAIL PIKEVILLE! is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by Panther Thunder View Post
I want someone who is going to lead the team in the right direction while making it fun at the same time, and I would like to have someone who doesn't take crap from parents and fans alike. Get us a good one Coach G!! HAIL PIKEVILLE!
Actually its Coach Mayo who has the final say in who gets hired. I think it should be Copely IMO.
Send a private message to HAIL PIKEVILLE! Add HAIL PIKEVILLE! to Your Contacts Top of page
  #3  
Old 01-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Capt. DH's Avatar
Capt. DH Capt. DH is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Capt. DH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
I know that they are going to open this job up but I hope that Copley gets it. I have talked to several of the football players and all have told me that they wanted Copley to be their head coach. He is a great motivator and a great football mind to have on the sidelines. I definitely would not want to bring in another coach with another staff and change the offense for the 4th straight year. If Copley stays then I know they will run power and veer football like last year. I know that the entire staff is behind him and wanting him to get the job as well. I hate that Jackson left because he is a good man but obviously he had some personal reasons for leaving and I wish him the best. Go Panthers! Hire Copley!

Copley is who I want my kid playing for, end of story.

Oh yeah, all the kids that gave the reason of not playing because they did not like Jackson have no reason not to play now. That is unless their parents won't let them which is ridiculous. If your kid wants to play then quit being a nazi and let him/her play.

Last edited by Capt. DH; 01-08-2008 at 02:32 PM. Reason: forgot
Send a private message to Capt. DH Add Capt. DH to Your Contacts Top of page
  #4  
Old 01-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Chuck Taylor's Avatar
Chuck Taylor Chuck Taylor is offline
Scout Team
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beaverton, Oregon
Posts: 690
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chuck Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by Capt. DH View Post
I know that they are going to open this job up but I hope that Copley gets it. I have talked to several of the football players and all have told me that they wanted Copley to be their head coach. He is a great motivator and a great football mind to have on the sidelines. I definitely would not want to bring in another coach with another staff and change the offense for the 4th straight year. If Copley stays then I know they will run power and veer football like last year. I know that the entire staff is behind him and wanting him to get the job as well. I hate that Jackson left because he is a good man but obviously he had some personal reasons for leaving and I wish him the best. Go Panthers! Hire Copley!

Copley is who I want my kid playing for, end of story.

Oh yeah, all the kids that gave the reason of not playing because they did not like Jackson have no reason not to play now. That is unless their parents won't let them which is ridiculous. If your kid wants to play then quit being a nazi and let him/her play.
Time for Pikeville to go in a different direction.
Send a private message to Chuck Taylor Add Chuck Taylor to Your Contacts Top of page
  #5  
Old 01-08-2008, 04:39 PM
PC_You_Know's Avatar
PC_You_Know PC_You_Know is offline
State Champion

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,128
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PC_You_Know is on a distinguished road
Default
This is just like the SV situation 2 years ago. All the players and parents wanted Hampton to take over the head coaching position after he was interim coach and took them to the playoffs. This however, was not the outcome and resulted in many players quitting.
Send a private message to PC_You_Know Add PC_You_Know to Your Contacts Top of page
  #6  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
1911 1911 is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1911 is on a distinguished road
Default
I think they might try to look somewhat out of the system like they did with Jackson. Some other people that might be considered close to the program are Chase Gibson, Mike Copely, and Matt Branham. These guys are all young and have a large knowledge of football.
Send a private message to 1911 Add 1911 to Your Contacts Top of page
  #7  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
ComfortEagle's Avatar
ComfortEagle ComfortEagle is offline
Ninja

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on a boat
Posts: 8,777
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
ComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the rough
Default
I have to disagree with you all saying that Copley should be the next head coach. There are a lot of players that do not like playing for him.

I have spoken with several players who played under Coach J and Copley and while he may have a football mind, he is not who they want to be led by. Not someone they can all get together and rally around. This was from a group of 5 or so starters on the team so they cannot speak for the whole team, I understand, but if they all strongly felt that way, I have to think that others do so as well.

I think the next head coach will be someone that's had ties to the Pikeville football program before, but not Copley.
__________________
Send a private message to ComfortEagle Add ComfortEagle to Your Contacts Top of page
  #8  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:29 PM
ComfortEagle's Avatar
ComfortEagle ComfortEagle is offline
Ninja

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on a boat
Posts: 8,777
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
ComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the rough
Default
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
I think they might try to look somewhat out of the system like they did with Jackson. Some other people that might be considered close to the program are Chase Gibson, Mike Copely, and Matt Branham. These guys are all young and have a large knowledge of football.
I agree that they have a large knowledge of football, but like you said, they are young.

I think the Pikeville program is dying to get back into State Championship contention (making it at least to Championship game) and I don't think they will put the program into the hands of someone without a lot of experience.

But that's if they have a choice. If they don't get any bites from those they are immediately interested in, you'll see a lot of people open up for consideration.
__________________
Send a private message to ComfortEagle Add ComfortEagle to Your Contacts Top of page
  #9  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
jetpilot jetpilot is offline
Hall of Fame

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 5,700
Likes: 1,679
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,217 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
I have to disagree with you all saying that Copley should be the next head coach. There are a lot of players that do not like playing for him.

I have spoken with several players who played under Coach J and Copley and while he may have a football mind, he is not who they want to be led by. Not someone they can all get together and rally around.

I think the next head coach will be someone that's had ties to the Pikeville football program before, but not Copley.
I agree with you 100% CE, especially the last sentence.
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page
  #10  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Panther Thunder's Avatar
Panther Thunder Panther Thunder is online now
Outta Space Balla


Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Posted in the Back
Posts: 7,675
Likes: 1,126
Liked 1,384 Times in 762 Posts
Panther Thunder will become famous soon enoughPanther Thunder will become famous soon enough
Default
What about Jason Howell?
Send a private message to Panther Thunder Add Panther Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page
  #11  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM
ComfortEagle's Avatar
ComfortEagle ComfortEagle is offline
Ninja

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on a boat
Posts: 8,777
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
ComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the rough
Default
Originally Posted by Panther Thunder View Post
What about Jason Howell?
That was going to be one of my guesses, but I don't know if he would want to come back to Pikeville.

I think he may be one who is considered.
__________________
Send a private message to ComfortEagle Add ComfortEagle to Your Contacts Top of page
  #12  
Old 01-08-2008, 05:37 PM
jetpilot jetpilot is offline
Hall of Fame

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 5,700
Likes: 1,679
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,217 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Default
How about a package deal w/ J. Howell & B. Howard?
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page
  #13  
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Beef's Avatar
Beef Beef is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals


Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 10,409
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Beef will become famous soon enoughBeef will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by jetpilot View Post
How about a package deal w/ J. Howell & B. Howard?
It would be a tough package deal IMO.....you have to get a solid head coach and you can't take these 2 together. But as for the other 2 mentioned, they are a little too young to take over the head coaching position as of now.

But Howell knows the program and what is expected. If he qualifies, then he should be strongly considered...if interested that is
__________________
Send a private message to Beef Add Beef to Your Contacts Top of page
  #14  
Old 01-08-2008, 06:12 PM
1911 1911 is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 130
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1911 is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
I agree that they have a large knowledge of football, but like you said, they are young.

I think the Pikeville program is dying to get back into State Championship contention (making it at least to Championship game) and I don't think they will put the program into the hands of someone without a lot of experience.

But that's if they have a choice. If they don't get any bites from those they are immediately interested in, you'll see a lot of people open up for consideration.
Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's. They haven't for quite sometime. They need a coach that will get them back to basic hardnosed football like they had in the past. I think Ben Howard would also be a good choice. It would be nice to follow your fathers footsteps and coach on his field.
Send a private message to 1911 Add 1911 to Your Contacts Top of page
  #15  
Old 01-08-2008, 07:23 PM
ComfortEagle's Avatar
ComfortEagle ComfortEagle is offline
Ninja

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: on a boat
Posts: 8,777
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
ComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the roughComfortEagle is a jewel in the rough
Default
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's. They haven't for quite sometime. They need a coach that will get them back to basic hardnosed football like they had in the past. I think Ben Howard would also be a good choice. It would be nice to follow your fathers footsteps and coach on his field.
Hardnosed football will not win state championships against these teams coming out of the rest of KY, not anymore. As we see almost every year, the teams from Northern and Central KY are much more fast, much more quick. It doesn't matter how hardnosed you are if you're getting run all over the field.
__________________
Send a private message to ComfortEagle Add ComfortEagle to Your Contacts Top of page
  #16  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:26 PM
jetpilot jetpilot is offline
Hall of Fame

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 5,700
Likes: 1,679
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,217 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's.
Yes they do.
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page
  #17  
Old 01-08-2008, 09:32 PM
jetpilot jetpilot is offline
Hall of Fame

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 5,700
Likes: 1,679
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,217 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
It would be a tough package deal IMO.....you have to get a solid head coach and you can't take these 2 together.
Since they are both assistants where they are at now, you could get both of them at Pikeville, one as HC and one as assistant. Probably won't happen though.
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page
  #18  
Old 01-09-2008, 02:11 AM
HAIL PIKEVILLE!'s Avatar
HAIL PIKEVILLE! HAIL PIKEVILLE! is online now
Head Coach
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Give me a bottle of anything....and a glazed doughnut...TO GO!!!
Posts: 2,585
Likes: 74
Liked 598 Times in 241 Posts
HAIL PIKEVILLE! is on a distinguished road
Default
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
I have to disagree with you all saying that Copley should be the next head coach. There are a lot of players that do not like playing for him.

I have spoken with several players who played under Coach J and Copley and while he may have a football mind, he is not who they want to be led by. Not someone they can all get together and rally around. This was from a group of 5 or so starters on the team so they cannot speak for the whole team, I understand, but if they all strongly felt that way, I have to think that others do so as well.

I think the next head coach will be someone that's had ties to the Pikeville football program before, but not Copley.
You cant go on what 17-18 year old kids say. I know when I was that age somedays I loved Coach Howard and other days I wanted to be at least 2 counties away from the guy LOL!!!. But, I always respected him. Trust me Im about as close to this program right now as a non-coach can be and believe me when I tell you these kids do respect Coach Copely. Ive talked to more than several current players and they all respect this guy.

Last edited by HAIL PIKEVILLE!; 01-09-2008 at 02:14 AM.
Send a private message to HAIL PIKEVILLE! Add HAIL PIKEVILLE! to Your Contacts Top of page
  #19  
Old 01-09-2008, 02:40 AM
Mr.Kimball Mr.Kimball is offline
Suspended
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,340
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mr.Kimball is a jewel in the roughMr.Kimball is a jewel in the roughMr.Kimball is a jewel in the rough
Default
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Hardnosed football will not win state championships against these teams coming out of the rest of KY, not anymore. As we see almost every year, the teams from Northern and Central KY are much more fast, much more quick. It doesn't matter how hardnosed you are if you're getting run all over the field.
much more fast,much more quick.....?????


Is that the same thing as faster and quicker????


Just kidding CE!!!
Send a private message to Mr.Kimball Add Mr.Kimball to Your Contacts Top of page
  #20  
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 AM
FOX SPORTS's Avatar
FOX SPORTS FOX SPORTS is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals


Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Over your shoulder
Posts: 11,076
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
FOX SPORTS is a jewel in the roughFOX SPORTS is a jewel in the roughFOX SPORTS is a jewel in the roughFOX SPORTS is a jewel in the rough
Default
Originally Posted by Panther Thunder View Post
I want someone who is going to lead the team in the right direction while making it fun at the same time,
Winning is what makes it fun
Send a private message to FOX SPORTS Add FOX SPORTS to Your Contacts Top of page
  #21  
Old 01-09-2008, 04:51 AM
Capt. DH's Avatar
Capt. DH Capt. DH is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Capt. DH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
I think they might try to look somewhat out of the system like they did with Jackson. Some other people that might be considered close to the program are Chase Gibson, Mike Copely, and Matt Branham. These guys are all young and have a large knowledge of football.
Chase Gibson is a fine football mind with 3-4 years of assistant coaching at the varsity level.
Matt Branham is also a fine football mind with three years of junior high football experience. It wouldn't be good if he took off in the middle of a game to go hunting either.
Mike Copley has 10-11 years of coaching experience at 4 different schools.
Chase and Matt would be excellent assistant coaches right now but as far as someone being varsity ready you have to look at Copley. His football knowledge probably dwarves Chase and Matt's. No disrespect to either of them because I believe that both should be coaching at Pikeville in some capacity.
Send a private message to Capt. DH Add Capt. DH to Your Contacts Top of page
  #22  
Old 01-09-2008, 04:54 AM
Capt. DH's Avatar
Capt. DH Capt. DH is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Capt. DH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by Panther Thunder View Post
What about Jason Howell?
This is comical. Howell is good guy with lots of knowledge, but with that knowledge comes a lot of baggage. No way he is ready for this head coaching job.
Send a private message to Capt. DH Add Capt. DH to Your Contacts Top of page
  #23  
Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Capt. DH's Avatar
Capt. DH Capt. DH is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Capt. DH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Pikeville doesn't have the players to contend for state title's. They haven't for quite sometime. They need a coach that will get them back to basic hardnosed football like they had in the past. I think Ben Howard would also be a good choice. It would be nice to follow your fathers footsteps and coach on his field.
You want hardnosed football and Ben Howard. He runs a finesse spread offense. Nothing very hardnosed about that. His defense may be hardnosed but half hardnosed is not what you seem to be saying.
Send a private message to Capt. DH Add Capt. DH to Your Contacts Top of page
  #24  
Old 01-09-2008, 04:58 AM
Capt. DH's Avatar
Capt. DH Capt. DH is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Capt. DH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by HAIL PIKEVILLE! View Post
You cant go on what 17-18 year old kids say. I know when I was that age somedays I loved Coach Howard and other days I wanted to be at least 2 counties away from the guy LOL!!!. But, I always respected him. Trust me Im about as close to this program right now as a non-coach can be and believe me when I tell you these kids do respect Coach Copely. Ive talked to more than several current players and they all respect this guy.
HAIL PIKEVILLE and I have talked to these kids and all we have talked to have said that they want Copley to be their coach. This was yesterday that they told me. They were starters and backups. Their were about 20-25 that told me the same thing.
Send a private message to Capt. DH Add Capt. DH to Your Contacts Top of page
  #25  
Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 AM
Capt. DH's Avatar
Capt. DH Capt. DH is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Capt. DH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Rumor has it that two of BGR's finest will be named co head coaches within the next millenium. Chuck Taylor and jetpilot congratulations on this honor. LOL
Just kidding guys!
Send a private message to Capt. DH Add Capt. DH to Your Contacts Top of page
  #26  
Old 01-09-2008, 05:22 AM
BlackcatAlum's Avatar
BlackcatAlum BlackcatAlum is offline
All BlueGrass Rivals


Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Prestonsburg, KY
Posts: 19,025
Likes: 114
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts
BlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really nice
Default
Has Hillard Howard's son been mentioned?
__________________
Send a private message to BlackcatAlum Add BlackcatAlum to Your Contacts Top of page
  #27  
Old 01-09-2008, 05:23 AM
jetpilot jetpilot is offline
Hall of Fame

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Pikeville, Ky
Posts: 5,700
Likes: 1,679
Liked 2,064 Times in 1,217 Posts
jetpilot will become famous soon enough
Default
Originally Posted by Capt. DH View Post
Rumor has it that two of BGR's finest will be named co head coaches within the next millenium. Chuck Taylor and jetpilot congratulations on this honor. LOL
Just kidding guys!
jetpilot has already applied for the position of head Monday morning quarterback, lol.
Send a private message to jetpilot Add jetpilot to Your Contacts Top of page
  #28  
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Capt. DH's Avatar
Capt. DH Capt. DH is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Capt. DH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by blackcat_student View Post
Has Hillard Howard's son been mentioned?
He has been mentioned on here.
Send a private message to Capt. DH Add Capt. DH to Your Contacts Top of page
  #29  
Old 01-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Elwayfan Elwayfan is offline
Statistician
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 244
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Elwayfan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default
Originally Posted by PC_You_Know View Post
This is just like the SV situation 2 years ago. All the players and parents wanted Hampton to take over the head coaching position after he was interim coach and took them to the playoffs. This however, was not the outcome and resulted in many players quitting.
Tanks for the input, but Pikeville doesn,t need to model their program after SV.
However, I do believe SV made the right decision.
Send a private message to Elwayfan Add Elwayfan to Your Contacts Top of page
  #30  
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM
God of Thunder God of Thunder is offline
Water Boy
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 46
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
God of Thunder is on a distinguished road
Default
I believe that personal matters (or rumors to that effect) need not be discussed in the forums!
Send a private message to God of Thunder Add God of Thunder to Your Contacts Top of page
 

  BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Off Topic » Classic BlueGrassRivals

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -9. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.