View Poll Results: Are you updating to windows 7?
Yes 7 53.85%
No 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Rate This Thread - Windows 7.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 175 Times in 142 Posts
GOREDDEVILS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Windows 7
Who all is updating from a previous microsoft operating system to windows 7.
Send a private message to GOREDDEVILS Add GOREDDEVILS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:01 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,018 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
I refused to waste my time with Vista but I will be moving to Windows 7 on at least one of my PCs. I am running Windows XP Pro on my desktop, Windows XP Home on one laptop, and Linux Mint on the other one. If I did not need Windows for work, I would install Linux on all of them.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Hall of Fame

I've pre ordered the windows 7 home premium 32 bit family pack upgrade for 3 pcs for 150$ off of tiger direct.
Send a private message to GOREDDEVILS Add GOREDDEVILS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:00 PM
From The Creek

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
CraftCreeker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to CraftCreeker
Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
I refused to waste my time with Vista but I will be moving to Windows 7 on at least one of my PCs. I am running Windows XP Pro on my desktop, Windows XP Home on one laptop, and Linux Mint on the other one. If I did not need Windows for work, I would install Linux on all of them.
/Agree
Old 10-11-2009, 01:43 PM
This is my favorite pastime

Liked 4,634 Times in 3,184 Posts
Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
Not yet, I'll wait till the bugs are out
Old 10-11-2009, 02:31 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
Not yet, I'll wait till the bugs are out
Thats what all the nurmerous betas and release candidates are for. There won't be many bugs in the rtm.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM
The Bee's Knees

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
thetribe will become famous soon enoughthetribe will become famous soon enough
Since my mom bought a laptop after June of this year, she can automatically upgrade to Windows 7 so I guess I'll experience it once she does that. I probably won't be upgrading this laptop, just buy a new one later on in 2010.
Send a private message to thetribe Add thetribe to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Staff

Liked 119 Times in 78 Posts
Amun-Ra has a spectacular aura aboutAmun-Ra has a spectacular aura about
I got my laptop for Christmas and I plan on updating it to 7 after I make sure there are no problems with it.
Send a private message to Amun-Ra Add Amun-Ra to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Contact Stardust For Help

Liked 942 Times in 681 Posts
Wildcatk23 has a spectacular aura aboutWildcatk23 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Wildcatk23 Send a message via Yahoo to Wildcatk23
after all the bugs with vista.....probally not... i took every pc i have and put XP back on them

Send a private message to Wildcatk23 Add Wildcatk23 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
CardinalAlum is on a distinguished road
I have it on my laptop and i love it
Send a private message to CardinalAlum Add CardinalAlum to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:39 AM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CardinalAlum View Post
I have it on my laptop and i love it
Are you running one of the pirated release candidates or one of the early pirated rtm copies that got out through one of those torrent sites?

The reason I ask is I know windows 7 isn't out until Thursday and the only way I know anyone could get it that early is through a torrent site or some kind of download.

I did it with Vista a pirated release candidate on mine but I actually paid for my oem version of vista when it came out.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Hall of Famer

Liked 114 Times in 86 Posts
CardinalAlum is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GOREDDEVILS View Post
Are you running one of the pirated release candidates or one of the early pirated rtm copies that got out through one of those torrent sites?

The reason I ask is I know windows 7 isn't out until Thursday and the only way I know anyone could get it that early is through a torrent site or some kind of download.

I did it with Vista a pirated release candidate on mine but I actually paid for my oem version of vista when it came out.
I actually got it through Windows when they offered it awhile back as a tester and i get my official key when they release them.
Send a private message to CardinalAlum Add CardinalAlum to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Hall of Fame

http://windows.microsoft.com/upgradeadvisor download that to see what is compatible(programs & hardware) on your pc and which version to upgrade to.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:18 AM
Hall of Fame

For those who have already updated to windows 7 what do you think about it?

For me it seems to be even faster than xp and vista. Seems pretty much like vista updated to move faster.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
After working with Windows 7 for a few weeks I have decided that I like it much better than Vista and even more than XP. I especially like Windows Media Center.

However, my favorite OS is Ubuntu and it is free. The hotel where I stay has been having internet connection issues. Using Windows 7 or XP, I am rarely able to connect to the internet, so I have been connecting with Ubuntu instead. I have even been able to connect to the VPN at work using Ubuntu and operate my Windows XP workstation remotely. I have installed Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive so that I can connect to the VPN from any PC.

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if you must use Windows. Ubuntu is not suitable for gamers or people who require specific programs that are not available for Linux, but for many people it would serve them well. Open Office allows you to create Microsoft Office compatible word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation documents in Ubuntu and there is very little difference using Firefox or Opera to web browse in Windows or Ubuntu.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Hall of Fame

After working with Windows 7 for a few weeks I have decided that I like it much better than Vista and even more than XP. I especially like Windows Media Center.

However, my favorite OS is Ubuntu and it is free. The hotel where I stay has been having internet connection issues. Using Windows 7 or XP, I am rarely able to connect to the internet, so I have been connecting with Ubuntu instead. I have even been able to connect to the VPN at work using Ubuntu and operate my Windows XP workstation remotely. I have installed Ubuntu on a bootable flash drive so that I can connect to the VPN from any PC.

My advice is to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional if you must use Windows. Ubuntu is not suitable for gamers or people who require specific programs that are not available for Linux, but for many people it would serve them well. Open Office allows you to create Microsoft Office compatible word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation documents in Ubuntu and there is very little difference using Firefox or Opera to web browse in Windows or Ubuntu.
For most casual users windows 7 home premium is the way to go.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

For most casual users windows 7 home premium is the way to go.
I went with Windows 7 Pro to get the XP compatibility mode. I also decided to buy a PC with the 64-bit version because it supported up to 16GB of RAM. Most new PCs sold today, other than netbooks, have 64 bit processors, so IMO, the time has come to move to a 64-bit OS to match the new processors.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Hall of Fame

I went with Windows 7 Pro to get the XP compatibility mode. I also decided to buy a PC with the 64-bit version because it supported up to 16GB of RAM. Most new PCs sold today, other than netbooks, have 64 bit processors, so IMO, the time has come to move to a 64-bit OS to match the new processors.
well i've not had any problems with any thing that was for xp so far on home premium knock on wood.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Not all have 64 bit but many do. Still yet because 32 bit is the most common still they get support first before 64 bit and I expect it will be that way untill they do away with a 32 bit os.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Hall of Fame

For instance I bought a program to kill yahoo chat spam and stop booters and they didn't even have 64 bit available untill 3 years after I bought it.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

I like being able to access more memory than a 32-bit OS allows. Being able to set up multiple virtual servers running Linux while still having Windows 7 is not very practical without accessing more than 4 Gb of RAM. I know that is not a common application, but for a programmer needing to simulate a network of servers or somebody who just needs to run a couple of different operating systems without running two or more PCs (or rebooting to switch between systems), it is a big advantage.

So far, I have not had any compatibility problems but I have not transferred all of my programs over to the new PC.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Equipment Manager
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ptp71 is on a distinguished road
A note to anybody who is going to switch from one operating system to another, DONT DO IT. I did it on my laptop and my wireless card, webcam, usb ports, cd drive, and anything that came built in to the computer wouldnt load. I tryed the cd that came with the computer and it didnts work, tryed to switch it back to xp and didnt work. I took it to the shop and they said my Hard drive was fryed????
not a good experience
Send a private message to Ptp71 Add Ptp71 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ptp71 View Post
A note to anybody who is going to switch from one operating system to another, DONT DO IT. I did it on my laptop and my wireless card, webcam, usb ports, cd drive, and anything that came built in to the computer wouldnt load. I tryed the cd that came with the computer and it didnts work, tryed to switch it back to xp and didnt work. I took it to the shop and they said my Hard drive was fryed????
not a good experience
I did the upgrade from vista to 7. I formated the vista oem put it back on got service pack 1 then upgraded with no problems.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:43 AM
Home of the Chicago Cubs!

Liked 1,273 Times in 1,057 Posts
Strikeout King will become famous soon enough
whats the link to windows 7????
Send a private message to Strikeout King Add Strikeout King to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Strikeout King View Post
whats the link to windows 7????
I guess you mean link to download windows 7?
Old 12-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Statistician
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TomSportsHack is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Ptp71 View Post
not a good experience
That's a hard drive issue, not a changing-OS issue.
Send a private message to TomSportsHack Add TomSportsHack to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Hall of Fame

windows 7 is about the best or best os microsoft has ever released
Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 AM
Statistician
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TomSportsHack is an unknown quantity at this point
windows 7 is about the best or best os microsoft has ever released
****ing with faint praise.
Send a private message to TomSportsHack Add TomSportsHack to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wildcatk23 View Post
http://isohunt.com/release/310845/windows+7
I hope none of those copys have serial keys or cracks because that is promoting pirating and is illegal and i'm sure qq wants no part of promoting pirating on here if I was guessing. I mean it's not a big deal if you have a legit key and need a replacement copy of 7 but if you don't have a key and are trying to crack it its illegal
Old 12-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Contact Stardust For Help

Liked 942 Times in 681 Posts
Wildcatk23 has a spectacular aura aboutWildcatk23 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Wildcatk23 Send a message via Yahoo to Wildcatk23
I hope none of those copys have serial keys or cracks because that is promoting pirating and is illegal and i'm sure qq wants no part of promoting pirating on here if I was guessing. I mean it's not a big deal if you have a legit key and need a replacement copy of 7 but if you don't have a key and are trying to crack it its illegal
its just a link for the download...... but they can delete it if they would like..

Send a private message to Wildcatk23 Add Wildcatk23 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Computers & Electronics » Computer & Windows Help