View Poll Results: Which do you Pefer?
Windows 7 0 0%
Windows XP 3 100.00%
Windows Vista 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Rate This Thread - Which do you Prefer?.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 175 Times in 142 Posts
GOREDDEVILS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which do you Prefer?
I thought I would start another one now that windows 7 has came out.

Could a mod change the title in my poll to prefer instead of pefer I copied the other title and just noticed it was wrong.
Send a private message to GOREDDEVILS Add GOREDDEVILS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:51 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,018 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
I will vote after I have a few days experience with Windows 7. Today I am going to buy a new desktop that comes bundled with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, which I am going to upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit Professional, which includes an XP compatibility mode.

I plan to use Linux Mint as my primary operating system and to install VirtualBox on the new PC. I have not decided yet whether to install Mint as the host system and run Windows 7 on a virtual server or vice-versa. The only reason that I am getting Windows 7 at all is that I recent bought some client-server software and programming tools that only run under Windows in 32-bit mode.

For those not familiar with VirtualBox, it lets you create multiple virtual computers on a single machine and each one can be running a different operating system. This makes it possible to simulate a multi-server environment that might have a corporate database running on a Linux server, another Linux server running Lotus Notes, and a workstation running Windows.

The Windows 7 64-bit version supports over 3 GB of memory and I am buying a PC with 6 GB of memory (expandable to 16 GB).

I understand that you cannot upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 without formatting your hard drive and performing a clean install of Windows 7 and then reinstalling all of your programs and files. If so, that is going to slow adoption of Windows 7 by companies and government agencies. Many large offices have stuck with Windows XP and are not likely to upgrade to Windows 7 in this economy.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Yeah people should try windows 7 before voting i've tried xp,vista,windows 7(just upgraded to last night from vista) and so far I like windows 7 the best but will wait a few more days and see before I vote.
Send a private message to GOREDDEVILS Add GOREDDEVILS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Actually you can upgrade from xp without formatting if you bought the upgrade of windows 7 home premium.

In my case for the upgrade I bought it talks about upgrading from xp and all the steps needed to so.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Hall of Fame

I'm not having any problems with any old programs running that were for xp. I even installed the same driver from my belkin network adapter that I had with xp and it works for windows 7 as well as vista.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:48 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,018 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
Originally Posted by GOREDDEVILS View Post
I'm not having any problems with any old programs running that were for xp. I even installed the same driver from my belkin network adapter that I had with xp and it works for windows 7 as well as vista.
Did you install the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7? I upgraded from 64 bit Home Premium to 64 bit Professional to get the XP compatibility feature. I went with 64-bit because I wanted access to more memory.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hoot Gibson View Post
Did you install the 32 or 64 bit version of Windows 7? I upgraded from 64 bit Home Premium to 64 bit Professional to get the XP compatibility feature. I went with 64-bit because I wanted access to more memory.
I don't use 64 bit because when new programs come out 32 bit is always supported first. I will get a 64 bit processor when they become the main one.

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Computers & Electronics » Computer & Windows Help