Rate This Thread - Belkin wireless router help??.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Lacks the ability to love

Liked 602 Times in 417 Posts
Real Badman is on a distinguished road
Default Belkin wireless router help??
I need a tech expert. I cant get my belkin router too connect too my desktop. but at the same time its connected my laptop gets connection. how do I get my Desktop and Laptop both connection?

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 12-25-2009, 07:46 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 1,421 Times in 1,018 Posts
Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
Originally Posted by Real Badman View Post
I need a tech expert. I cant get my belkin router too connect too my desktop. but at the same time its connected my laptop gets connection. how do I get my Desktop and Laptop both connection?
You need to provide a little more information, such as:

1. Are you trying to connect your desktop wirelessly or with a cable?

2. Is your laptop connecting to your own router, or is it connecting to another one in the neighborhood? Make sure that your laptop is connecting to where you think it is connecting.

3. If you are trying to connect wirelessly, is your network encrypted? If so, you will need the encryption code or pass phrase for the router.

I have never used a Belkin, you may need to connect a cable to the router and enter its IP address into the location bar of your web browser. (For a Netgear and I believe for a Linksys, the IP address is 192.168.1.1 - but your router's IP address should be listed on the bottom of the router.) You will also need a user name (default will be something like "admin") and password to access the router's configuration software.

Once you connect to the router, you should be able to find the encryption method and code, which any computer connecting wirelessly to the router will need.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 AM

Well I connected too the desktop wiredly but im sure its my own network, I named it myself so Im sure. Im not very good at tech stuff. I was hopein someone on here could help me snice the people at belkin couldnt
Old 12-25-2009, 08:57 AM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Hoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really niceHoot Gibson is just really nice
Well I connected too the desktop wiredly but im sure its my own network, I named it myself so Im sure. Im not very good at tech stuff. I was hopein someone on here could help me snice the people at belkin couldnt
The reason I suggested checking to make sure that you are connected wirelessly to you own network is that a laptop can connect to another unsecured network if it is not configured right. If your laptop is connecting and your desktop will not connect wirelessly, my guess is that you either have the wrong wireless protocol selected for your desktop wireless card or you have entered the wrong encryption code. In other words, if your laptop is connecting using WPA2 encryption, then your desktop adapter must use the same protocol and the same password or pass phrase. Not all wireless adapters support the same protocols, so your network must use one that all of the computers support.

I suggest trying to configure your network to not use any encryption to verify that your desktop network adapter is working and then reconfigure your modem from scratch to use the best encryption that both computers will support.
Send a private message to Hoot Gibson Add Hoot Gibson to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:16 AM

Can you explain how to do that now lol?
Old 12-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Equipment Manager
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Augie Garrido is on a distinguished road
They have excellent Tech Support personnel, to get you connected. I have one and they walk you through the process.
Send a private message to Augie Garrido Add Augie Garrido to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:15 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Can you explain how to do that now lol?
The manual or quick set-up guide is a good place to start. If you don't have them, go to belkin.com and download them. It should be pretty easy to turn off encryption and then follow the directions step by step to re-install it.

Most routers will let you use a flash drive to quickly add computers to the network once you get the first one set up. You might even find a video guide on youtube to walk you through the steps.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Contact Stardust For Help

Liked 942 Times in 681 Posts
Wildcatk23 has a spectacular aura aboutWildcatk23 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to Wildcatk23 Send a message via Yahoo to Wildcatk23
1 Question. Just one. Is either of these running Windows 7?

Send a private message to Wildcatk23 Add Wildcatk23 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:09 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 175 Times in 142 Posts
GOREDDEVILS is an unknown quantity at this point
belkin uses 192.168.2.1 for its setting changes. what kind of help you need I know a lot about routers?

what os are you using on the pcs? are you sure your desktop has a wireless network card in it?
Send a private message to GOREDDEVILS Add GOREDDEVILS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 AM
Hall of Fame

a good name brand wireless destop card like a linkskey runs about $19.99 and up.
Send a private message to GOREDDEVILS Add GOREDDEVILS to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:49 AM
Hall of Fame

also if your router is near desktop/dsl/cable modem i would just use cat5 network cable they get better connection than wireless. i use my 2 ps3's and 2 desktops on the 4 wired ports that came with my linkskeys wireless wrtg54 router
Old 12-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Hall of Fame

on your wireless laptops etc that use the wireless you want to use wpa2-psk security about the best kind of secured wireless network you can have. If you don't have wpa2 you might have wpa-psk then use that
Old 12-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Hall of Fame

you can easily drill holes through the floor and run the cable thats what i've done it works great for playing ps3 online and i'd assume 360

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Computers & Electronics » Computer & Windows Help