Rate This Thread - Pikeville High announces Fishing team.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Suspended
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If...Then is on a distinguished road
Default Pikeville High announces Fishing team
As of today, Mike Rowe announced his acceptance of the PHS Fishing team. Sponsors are needed also so if you would like to help the boys and their hard earned hobby, contact at (606) 432-0185

Im pretty sure some schools down in South KY have teams. Tournament dates are yet to be determined.

So.....um go Panthers!?
Send a private message to If...Then Add If...Then to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:39 PM

Liked 793 Times in 621 Posts
Spud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the roughSpud6 is a jewel in the rough
That's pretty cool. But, I've never heard of a fishing team. What other schools have a fishing team?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 77 Times in 50 Posts
baller4lyfe is on a distinguished road
lol
Send a private message to baller4lyfe Add baller4lyfe to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:25 PM
This is my favorite pastime

Liked 4,631 Times in 3,184 Posts
Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
With the popularity now of the Professional Bass Master tour, I guess it was only a matter of time. I like the idea, not sure that it will ever be a sanctioned HS sport though.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts
BlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really nice
Wish Prestonsburg would have one.

We've had a few boys win several tournaments over the past few years.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:30 PM

Stardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to beholdStardust is a splendid one to behold
^ I think it has a real chance of gaining interest. It's another activity that anyone can do, thus it makes it equal for all. Gets more kids active in something besides XBox.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts
BlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really niceBlackcatAlum is just really nice
Originally Posted by Stardust View Post
^ I think it has a real chance of gaining interest. It's another activity that anyone can do, thus it makes it equal for all. Gets more kids active in something besides XBox.
True, but fishing is a very expensive sport that I don't think a lot of students can afford.

- Fishing license: $20.
- Boats range from $1,000-20,000.
- A good rod/reel: $50-200.
- Lures: $2-15.

It's kinda like golf in a way for the students, because you have to bring your own personal clubs/reels, etc.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Asst. Coach
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
Beetle01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds interesting, who do you play against? Shore fishing, or will there be boats? Is it BYOB? or instead of water jugs they have kegs? I know when I was in HS that would have been necessary.
Send a private message to Beetle01 Add Beetle01 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by BlackcatAlum View Post
True, but fishing is a very expensive sport that I don't think a lot of students can afford.

- Fishing license: $20.
- Boats range from $1,000-20,000.
- A good rod/reel: $50-200.
- Lures: $2-15.

It's kinda like golf in a way for the students, because you have to bring your own personal clubs/reels, etc.
Very true. I guess we will have to see what the intent is. I guess we are all assuming that this is in a school league as well. That may not be the case. They certianly could be competing in regular public fishing tournaments under an amateur status.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:47 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 979 Times in 654 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
ESPN hosts and shows a Bass National Championship for colloeges every year. Eastern Kentucky University won it this year. So, I guess its trickling down to high schools now.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:01 AM
Asst. Coach
So I can expect EKU's fishing team to get put on probation for recruiting violations soon?
Send a private message to Beetle01 Add Beetle01 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:23 AM

^ LOL, too funny. Sounds "fishy" to me......
Old 08-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Hall of Fame

Liked 979 Times in 654 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Beetle01 View Post
So I can expect EKU's fishing team to get put on probation for recruiting violations soon?
EKU is a lot like Chris Jericho: THEY ARE BEST AT WHAT THEY DO!!!!
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Starter
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hilbily is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by If...Then View Post
As of today, Mike Rowe announced his acceptance of the PHS Fishing team. Sponsors are needed also so if you would like to help the boys and their hard earned hobby, contact at (606) 432-0185

Im pretty sure some schools down in South KY have teams. Tournament dates are yet to be determined.

So.....um go Panthers!?
Can you or the gentleman the phone number leads to answer any of the questions above? The first thing that crossed my mind were liabilities. Its a great idea and i would love to see it take off. I am pretty sure that most highschools already have fishing clubs. But by saying team i am understanding you mean to compete? I could see if it being lucrative to have some events with an adult angler. The adult would take the student participant out in a real event and the student would compete against other students for points. There are only team events in that region though and it would be hard to find an open boat. Can you please be more specific on the competition format you have worked out.
Send a private message to Hilbily Add Hilbily to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:50 AM
Scout Team
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The Private is on a distinguished road
I wish I was still in school~
Send a private message to The Private Add The Private to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 899 Times in 633 Posts
OffTheHook has a spectacular aura aboutOffTheHook has a spectacular aura about
Be nice if the school provided the boats.

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Send a private message to OffTheHook Add OffTheHook to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Tiger Pride

Liked 483 Times in 335 Posts
PaintsvilleTigerfan will become famous soon enough
I LOVE this idea. Hans Doderer who teaches at paintsville would be all over this I think Im gonna talk to him and see if he could get one started lol.
Send a private message to PaintsvilleTigerfan Add PaintsvilleTigerfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:45 PM
All BlueGrass Rivals

Liked 899 Times in 633 Posts
OffTheHook has a spectacular aura aboutOffTheHook has a spectacular aura about
The Paintsville Tigersharks!!!!!!!!!

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Send a private message to OffTheHook Add OffTheHook to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 AM
Scout Team
Liked 59 Times in 41 Posts
i know, right? is on a distinguished road
From what I have heard, the sponsors will be parents or people that have a boat that will be wiling to help out. The kids are not allowed to drive a boat in any tournaments but they are a loud to drive a boat when they practice. A parent/teacher/sponsor will have to drive the kids around in tournaments.
I believe 3 or 4 kids that are really interested this, their parents have boats and they will be sponsoring. They are looking for any kind of sponsors they can get whether they just donate money or they have a boat or they are wiling to drive the kids around in the tournaments.
Send a private message to i know, right? Add i know, right? to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Asst. Coach
Originally Posted by i know, right? View Post
From what I have heard, the sponsors will be parents or people that have a boat that will be wiling to help out. The kids are not allowed to drive a boat in any tournaments but they are a loud to drive a boat when they practice. A parent/teacher/sponsor will have to drive the kids around in tournaments.
I believe 3 or 4 kids that are really interested this, their parents have boats and they will be sponsoring. They are looking for any kind of sponsors they can get whether they just donate money or they have a boat or they are wiling to drive the kids around in the tournaments.

LOL what? Is that even possible, and if so how is it done? Do you go and practice casting into inflatable mini pools like at a fair?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Grand Slam is on a distinguished road
This is great glad to see them add something for the youth of eky
Send a private message to Grand Slam Add Grand Slam to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Cheerleader
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Grand Slam is on a distinguished road
Im ready to go back to high school!!
Send a private message to Grand Slam Add Grand Slam to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Statistician
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
foxtrot1 is on a distinguished road
What a great opportunity for these kids. I would of loved to have this when I was in school. This is just another example of how things are changing, and in this case it is for the better. This could really help a lot of kids stay busy and stay out of trouble!
Send a private message to foxtrot1 Add foxtrot1 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Scout Team
This program would be even better if the kids didnt have to have a parent/teacher/sponsor drive them in the tournaments. I think that if the 17 or 18 year old kid that can get the boat that is his/her parents/guardian and the parents/guardian signs for them that they say it is ok by them. The child should be able to drive the boat in the tournaments. This is just my opinion.
Send a private message to i know, right? Add i know, right? to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Moderated member. You need 5 posts without rule violation to be promoted to a full member.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dragracing is on a distinguished road
must be nice tohave a fishing team that would have been great when i was in school
Send a private message to dragracing Add dragracing to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Scout Team
Haven't heard anything from this in a while, how is it going and is it still going on?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Asst. Coach
Liked 246 Times in 187 Posts
Warthog is on a distinguished road
Great idea
Send a private message to Warthog Add Warthog to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » More Sports » Hunting & Fishing