Rate This Thread - Injuries in Football Compared to other sports.

Like this thread? Help the BGR community grow by sharing it with your friends.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:08 AM
Statistician
Liked 49 Times in 25 Posts
Oldtiger is on a distinguished road
Default Injuries in Football Compared to other sports
I had a parent of a very good young football player tell me; they weren't going to allow their kid to continue playing football past middle school because they were afraid he'd get hurt and hinder his basketball career. He is a much better F-Ball prospect, however we are in KY.

Can anyone come up with some solid figures telling us which KHSAA sanctioned sport has the most injuries?

I personally think Cheerleading is the most dangerous activity a kid can be involved in since they've started all the stunting.

Last edited by Oldtiger; 09-26-2010 at 06:09 AM. Reason: proofed it found mistake
Send a private message to Oldtiger Add Oldtiger to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

Click Here to become a member and join in on the discussions at BGR. Our membership is always 100% FREE.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 AM
BGR Mafia

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Redneck is on a distinguished road
Personally, I think it's a crock. If a kid wants to play football, let him play. A parent should never keep their kids from playin a sport that they wanna play, UNLESS there are academic reasons for not lettin them play. If a kid is 6'5" and already gettin offers from schools to play basketball or baseball and the KID doesn't wanna play football and risk gettin hurt, that's fine, but the parent shouldn't keep them from playing if the kid wants to play.

As for the injury comparison. Yes football is a dangerous sport. But anybody can get hurt doing anything, heck I could break my ankle walkin down the sidewalk. In my own personal experience, I broke my leg my freshman year in a JV football game. One of my best friends broke his ankle in a JV basketball game our Sophomore year. It took my buddy longer to heal and come back than it did me to heal and come back. Does anybody remember when Robin Ventura broke his leg slidin into home plate, that was NASTY, just as bad as Joe Theisman's broke leg. What about Moises Alou when he dislocated his ankle, NASTY. Sports are sports, and with sports comes injuries.
Send a private message to Redneck Add Redneck to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Starter

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Captain Backdoor is on a distinguished road
Couldn't have said it any better.
Send a private message to Captain Backdoor Add Captain Backdoor to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Starter
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Bobcat_Dad is on a distinguished road
More kids get hurt riding their bicycle, motorbike or ATV than they do playing football or basketball. Personally I had more injuries playing basketball than I did playing football.
Send a private message to Bobcat_Dad Add Bobcat_Dad to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:15 AM
Starter
Liked 237 Times in 87 Posts
Mama Bear is on a distinguished road
Son recently tore ACL playing football, I tore mine playing basketball, dad had reconstruction on ankle playing baseball. I know a girl who recently tore her ACL walking back to her seat after playing the piano at a recital. Injuries just happen sometimes. With any sport there is a calculated risk of being injured. The benefits of playing far outway the risks.
Send a private message to Mama Bear Add Mama Bear to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Starter
Liked 130 Times in 94 Posts
Tica will become famous soon enoughTica will become famous soon enough
High school players today are light years ahead of their counterparts who played in the '60s and '70s in speed and strength and agility and protection - pads, shoes, braces and headgear. They also have more durable playing surfaces. That said, I believe there are more acl and ankle injuries today. That is anecdotal and is based in part on discussions with orthopedists but I think I could support it with data. I believe there are fewer head and neck and shoulder injuries. Part of the reason is that sports have become so much more competitive. What used to be just a Friday night game has become for some aspirants, a path to college. Recruiters and sports bloggers are charting their every touch of the ball. They are measured and tested at combines. Kids respond. They attempt things a player of old might not have. Just my thoughts
Send a private message to Tica Add Tica to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Moderated member. You need 5 posts without rule violation to be promoted to a full member.
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
patriot boy #42 is on a distinguished road
I recently broke my arm playing football
Send a private message to patriot boy #42 Add patriot boy #42 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:22 AM
2nd String
Liked 125 Times in 76 Posts
oneijoe is a jewel in the roughoneijoe is a jewel in the roughoneijoe is a jewel in the roughoneijoe is a jewel in the rough
Far and away, the most potentially crippling/life-threatening activities young people do are driving a car and riding 4-wheelers and motorcycles.

About whether ligamentous injuries are more commonplace now than 20-30 yrs ago...I don't think so. But, I believe diagnostic abilities now correctly identify a FAR greater percentage of these kinds of injuries. Years ago, ACL and lateral ankle tears were oftentimes incorrectly diagnosed as "sprains".

I can't tell you how many severely arthritic ankles I've seen in 30-40 yr. olds which had origins in high school sports (and basketball is easily the most common culprit).
Send a private message to oneijoe Add oneijoe to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 AM
State Champion

Liked 394 Times in 263 Posts
Westside is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Oldtiger View Post
I had a parent of a very good young football player tell me; they weren't going to allow their kid to continue playing football past middle school because they were afraid he'd get hurt and hinder his basketball career. He is a much better F-Ball prospect, however we are in KY.

Can anyone come up with some solid figures telling us which KHSAA sanctioned sport has the most injuries?

I personally think Cheerleading is the most dangerous activity a kid can be involved in since they've started all the stunting.
This part of the statement cracks me up more than anything. Yes, like others have said: injuries can happen doing anything. After all, most injuries occur inside the house. But this parent saying that they didn't want to hinder his basketball career is funny. She will more likely be hindering it by not letting him play football. The more sports you play, the more skills you develop and the better athlete you will become which will help you in other sports. People in this country have bought into the myth of specialization in sports to become better athletes because of the former Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc Countries. Because these countries dominated the Olympics and specialized in certain sports at a young age we believe we should as well. I've read many book and manuels on their training and yes, they did specialize at a young age, but they didn't give up other sports. They played many other sports. Even the elite atheletes continued to play other sports. It was just carefully programmed into their individualized program. For example volleyball players often played soccer for at least an hour each day for cardio and as a warmup prior to practice or as a cool down. Weightlifters often played basketball to do the same. IMO specialization is a mistake.
Send a private message to Westside Add Westside to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Head Coach

Liked 515 Times in 346 Posts
sstack is on a distinguished road
Talking to an ER nurse today, and she said she always knows when soccer season is in full swing due to the huge number of injuries they see. My daughters play soccer, track and cross country; I worry very little with track and xc, but soccer is a rough sport that does cause me to worry about injuries. However, I think sports are great for kids for so many reasons and know that injuries are a possibility.
Send a private message to sstack Add sstack to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 PM
Tiger Pride

Liked 483 Times in 335 Posts
PaintsvilleTigerfan will become famous soon enough
The only big problem in football are the head injuries. Other than that all sports are just about equally dangerous.
Send a private message to PaintsvilleTigerfan Add PaintsvilleTigerfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Hall of Fame

Location: A fool flatters himself, a wise man flatters the fool.
Liked 1,042 Times in 732 Posts
nky is on a distinguished road
If the parent is worried maybe she should wrap her son in bubble wrap until he's 21 and then let him out of her basement. That way he wouldn't get hurt playing kids games.
Send a private message to nky Add nky to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Midee1 is a jewel in the roughMidee1 is a jewel in the roughMidee1 is a jewel in the roughMidee1 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via MSN to Midee1
My oldest broke his wrist his freshman year, tore his MCL his sophomore year, had a concussion his junior year, and seperated his shoulder his senior year playing football. He knocked a couple of his teeth out palying baseball his last year of Babe ruth eligibility.

But I am pretty certain that he wouldn't trade that for the wonderful memories and accolades he has from his time in high school

I realize that injuries are part of any sport but he wanted to keep playing so we supported his decision. Now I have a 15 year old that is playing football and i am sure we will have to deal with some more injuries but it's just part of life.

Now if I had listened to my mother all three boys would be wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a padded room until they were 21.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Starter
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
csabo17 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Mama Bear View Post
Son recently tore ACL playing football, I tore mine playing basketball, dad had reconstruction on ankle playing baseball. I know a girl who recently tore her ACL walking back to her seat after playing the piano at a recital. Injuries just happen sometimes. With any sport there is a calculated risk of being injured. The benefits of playing far outway the risks.
Seriously? Wow.

I hate it when a parent stops a kid from playing football because theyre such a great basketball prospect and they dont want to get hurt. Come on parents get it in your head, there's a 99.9% chance your kid is not a NBA basketball player.

3 basketball players waited till there junior and senior year to play football because they didnt want to get hurt for basketball. Afterwords they all 3 said waiting was the biggest regret they had in high school.
Send a private message to csabo17 Add csabo17 to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 PM
Tiger Pride

Liked 483 Times in 335 Posts
PaintsvilleTigerfan will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by csabo17 View Post
Seriously? Wow.

I hate it when a parent stops a kid from playing football because theyre such a great basketball prospect and they dont want to get hurt. Come on parents get it in your head, there's a 99.9% chance your kid is not a NBA basketball player.

3 basketball players waited till there junior and senior year to play football because they didnt want to get hurt for basketball. Afterwords they all 3 said waiting was the biggest regret they had in high school.
Girls are so prone to acl injuries it is scary. I have heard somewhere around 450 times more likely than boys
Send a private message to PaintsvilleTigerfan Add PaintsvilleTigerfan to Your Contacts Top of page Reply With Quote

BGR-Kentucky High School Sports - BlueGrassRivals » Kentucky High School and Middle School Sports » Football