Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh 27 Kentucky 10
This has turned into a heated discussion. And I have enjoyed reading your alls disagreements. And I've not even posted in this thread!

Keep it going!:popcorn:
A lack of financial support is what is holding UK's football program back. We have a below average recruiting center on-campus, average stadium, average coaching, and average players.

If we invested more money into the football program, we would see better results. There is no denying that and Rich Brooks stated this many times before he retired. I don't think scheduling has anything to do with anything, because UK plays one of the toughest schedules year in and year out. Our bigger recruits don't come here because they want to play against Indiana, West Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest. They come here because they want a shot at Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. That's where our schedule is, the non conference games are something we can go back on so that we can become bowl eligible.

All-in-all, our athletic department needs to invest more money into our football program and until that's done we should get used to seeing the 7-6 & 6-7 seasons.
Shady Grady Wrote:So, again, if UK had beated Duke, Indiana, and Northwestern instead of Akron, Western, and Charleston Southern and still finished 6-6, would they have gotten a better bowl?

kentuckynole Wrote:Is this enough research for you? No where in article does it mention SOS.

http://cached.secsports.com/index.php?s=...icle_id=44

As I said, the Cotton Bowl Committee chairman outlined exactly how the bowls are filled, and the attached article even alludes to match-ups. When the man said, strength of schedule is used to make the match-ups, I would assume he would know.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:A lack of financial support is what is holding UK's football program back. We have a below average recruiting center on-campus, average stadium, average coaching, and average players.

If we invested more money into the football program, we would see better results. There is no denying that and Rich Brooks stated this many times before he retired. I don't think scheduling has anything to do with anything, because UK plays one of the toughest schedules year in and year out. Our bigger recruits don't come here because they want to play against Indiana, West Virginia, Duke, Wake Forest. They come here because they want a shot at Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, etc. That's where our schedule is, the non conference games are something we can go back on so that we can become bowl eligible.

All-in-all, our athletic department needs to invest more money into our football program and until that's done we should get used to seeing the 7-6 & 6-7 seasons.

That's definitely a factor in the whole argument, from scheduling, to coaching, to support for the program - we have football because we are supposed to, not because we want to competed. We are happy to have a team, and could care less if we are better than average!
Stardust Wrote:As I said, the Cotton Bowl Committee chairman outlined exactly how the bowls are filled, and the attached article even alludes to match-ups. When the man said, strength of schedule is used to make the match-ups, I would assume he would know.

No mention in this article says anything about SOS.

http://www.examiner.com/sec-in-national/...66-for-lsu

It is about where you finish in the SEC, overall record, and fan support. Bowls are about selling tickets. If Kentucky beat UT last year they were going to Outback Bowl had nothing to do with SOS.
kentuckynole Wrote:No mention in this article says anything about SOS.

http://www.examiner.com/sec-in-national/...66-for-lsu

It is about where you finish in the SEC, overall record, and fan support. Bowls are about selling tickets. If Kentucky beat UT last year they were going to Outback Bowl had nothing to do with SOS.

I agree with you, but give it up. It's a no win argument with some. The bowl bids with conference tie ins are determined by conference finish. The only way a bowl can choose one team from the SEC who has less conference wins than another is if they have a better overall record.