Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pittsburgh 27 Kentucky 10
BlackcatAlum Wrote:In the first half, we didn't go to Cobb or Locke enough and yes, Hartline is 10x better than any quarterback we have on the our current roster. Our defense blows, like it did during the regular season as no one knows how to tackle and our guys are never in the right position to make a positive play.

Pitt didn't have a very good team, but they were better than us.

Good post:Thumbs:

Tackling was BAD!
Stardust Wrote:I agree with this, and have been saying it as well. I think the Cats can improve by playing better teams, and teams that improve their SOS. Playing teams at the mid or lower level of a BCS conference has to help them improve versus playing D2 schools. This is about building a program to beleive they can win meaningful games.

If you beat enough Illinois, Wake Forest, Kansas, you will learn more about yourselves than scheduling Akron, Charleston Southern, or WKU! How would crushing WKU relate to thinking you can compete with another solid football team?

:notworthy

I am pleased that some of you UK fans are starting to come to grips with what I have been saying about UK football since I arrived on this board 18 months ago.
If you take away UK's offense....
you win the game.
The off-the-field mistake Hartline was a part of killed us in this one.
Our only shot is to outscore teams and we couldn't do it.
I think a lot of you under-estimated the Big East. I do agree, however, that they were way down this year. I'm wondering if you under-estimated the Big East or over-estimated UK. I think Rich Brooks did a good job of bringing UK to where he did, but I'm not sure if Joker is the person to take them to the next level (time will tell). I just do not think that the athletic department will spend the money to bring in the coaching staff needed to put them over the edge with UK being such a basketball school and so much money being spent for b-ball. I agree that UK should play mid-level BCS conference schools in the non-conference games.
You guys bitched and moaned about Hartline not taking enough shots down field. At least he took shots. How did Newton Suck. How about missing wide open recievers. Matthews could have had 200 yards recieving. How about holding onto the ball and getting sacked when those recievers were open. At least throw it away. How about not leaving it with Locke on the zone read. Lock would have probably scored untouched in the first quarter had Newton not kept it looking for a play of his own.

Man I missed Hartline.
Stardust Wrote:I agree with this, and have been saying it as well. I think the Cats can improve by playing better teams, and teams that improve their SOS. Playing teams at the mid or lower level of a BCS conference has to help them improve versus playing D2 schools. This is about building a program to beleive they can win meaningful games.

If you beat enough Illinois, Wake Forest, Kansas, you will learn more about yourselves than scheduling Akron, Charleston Southern, or WKU! How would crushing WKU relate to thinking you can compete with another solid football team?
I have also said all along that UK needs to bring back the Indiana rivalry. That takes care of one team.
Indiana
Louisville
Akron/or an easy W
Duke/Kansas/Virginia
Then play your SEC gauntlet.
The four non conference games still look winnable, will get the fans interest a lot more than the schedule they play now, and I actually like a UK-Duke football matchup Big Grin
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I have also said all along that UK needs to bring back the Indiana rivalry. That takes care of one team.
Indiana
Louisville
Akron/or an easy W
Duke/Kansas/Virginia
The four non conference games still look winnable, will get the fans interest a lot more than the schedule they play now, and I actually like a UK-Duke football matchup Big Grin

The battle for the Bourbon barrel with indiana HAS to be brought back. Those were some of the most exciting games to watch, and talk about hard hitting. And I have said that about Duke and Kentucky in football for years.

As for this game Kentucky got beat on a blocked punt, Special teams have killed us all year am I honestly the only one who about has a heart attack every time we line up for a punt or field goal?
TidesHoss32 Wrote:I have also said all along that UK needs to bring back the Indiana rivalry. That takes care of one team.
Indiana
Louisville
Akron/or an easy W
Duke/Kansas/Virginia

That looks like a good schedule to me
Indiana
Louisville
Akron/or an easy W
Duke/Kansas/Virginia

I like it a lot. And, it's a more legitimate schedule:Thumbs:
Seen a lot of missed points on here so far. Besides Special Teams, the Offensive Line absolutely dominated Kentucky. They were quick to the cut, up and around to the second level. I believe they were averaging 4.5 yds per carry or so. But yeah, special teams sucked, newton blew, and our defense got rolled. You have a good day now.
im a wvu fan and uk let me down bigtime,
where was hartline?
doomsday Wrote:im a wvu fan and uk let me down bigtime,
where was hartline?

Suspended for imbibing
It must have been a tough day being a UK fan. Joker's new co-defensive coordinator didn't exactly have the defense looking that good.
Drove all the way to Birmingham to watch a pitiful exhibition of football on all accounts. The stadium was dilipated and creaky. Glad we did not play at night or it would have been downright creepy. No replays on the small scoreboards. Sound was terrible. But UK belonged here.

UK must make some major revisions on defense. Everybody in the house could not help them stop the run.

I will have to say that the people of Birmingham were wonderful and the weather was quite good for January. I hope they build a stadium capable of hosting a better bowl.
UKisN1 Wrote:Drove all the way to Birmingham to watch a pitiful exhibition of football on all accounts. The stadium was dilipated and creaky. Glad we did not play at night or it would have been downright creepy. No replays on the small scoreboards. Sound was terrible. But UK belonged here.

UK must make some major revisions on defense. Everybody in the house could not help them stop the run.

I will have to say that the people of Birmingham were wonderful and the weather was quite good for January. I hope they build a stadium capable of hosting a better bowl.

Agreed. Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile would have been such a nice place for the game instead of Legion Field.
ImagineThat! Wrote:I think a lot of you under-estimated the Big East. I do agree, however, that they were way down this year. I'm wondering if you under-estimated the Big East or over-estimated UK. I think Rich Brooks did a good job of bringing UK to where he did, but I'm not sure if Joker is the person to take them to the next level (time will tell). I just do not think that the athletic department will spend the money to bring in the coaching staff needed to put them over the edge with UK being such a basketball school and so much money being spent for b-ball. I agree that UK should play mid-level BCS conference schools in the non-conference games.

I agree with everything said here. UK has to start investing more money in the football program if they ever want to see sustained success. Some of the SEC schools spend 3x the amount on recruiting than we do, and it shows.
This offense looked completely different without Hartline. Everyone that took shots at Hartline all year. Did you miss him in this game?
I have read all the post bashing newton and bashing the offense game plan by not going to Locke enough and I must say that sitting the stands watching the game the biggest thing I noticed was how we got our butts kicked at the line of scrimmage on both offense and defense. The game was won at the line. Pitt pushed us around all day and on offense we couldnt do anything with their d-line. We couldnt even get a half yard on a 4th down we went for.
a lot of BCS team plays a weak schedule or some weak team. Like Alabama and WV.
Thought the defense played like they did all year as they couldn't make a tackle.
The offensive play calling was hard to understand, 3rd & 8-10 seemed like everytime
we threw a 3-4 yard pass. What about getting to the first down marker and then throwing to receiver?
Aslan Wrote:Bama did play Penn St.

What was the name of the rest of the teams on their schedule? I give Bama they did play Penn St. But we play Loserville which not to long ago was a top 5 team. They need to pick their game up.
Benchwarmer Wrote:What was the name of the rest of the teams on their schedule? I give Bama they did play Penn St. But we play Loserville which not to long ago was a top 5 team. They need to pick their game up.

I'd like for UK to play one legit out of conference school along with the in state schools we play. It don't have to be a team like Ohio State or Oregon, but someone that if we beat them we will receive some national respect and attention. Kansas State, Syracuse, a down Michigan program, someone along the lines of those teams.
Aslan Wrote:I'd like for UK to play one legit out of conference school along with the in state schools we play. It don't have to be a team like Ohio State or Oregon, but someone that if we beat them we will receive some national respect and attention. Kansas State, Syracuse, a down Michigan program, someone along the lines of those teams.

I agree.
But, some people make it out to be that UK is the only school playing weak non-conference teams when in all reality most of these BSC teams have cupcake teams on their schedule.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I agree.
But, some people make it out to be that UK is the only school playing weak non-conference teams when in all reality most of these BSC teams have cupcake teams on their schedule.

I have argued against UK's current schedule as well. The point I have tried to make is if you want to get better, beat better opponents. UK has beaten the cupcakes, but those games have done nothing to prepare them for the better teams in the SEC. It would be a different argument if UK was a top echelon team and was taking a break in their schedule. But this all centered around the Bowl game UK plays each season. With their current schedule, their non-conference schedule is too weak to get them out of the bowls that they get each year.

And the final point is about recruiting. If you are a potential recruit, you certainly are looking at the conference that you are playing in as one of your factors of going to a school. But right up there is playing in a Bowl game. I'm pretty sure that the Bowl games that UK gets invited to annually is not doing anything for recruiting.

I'd argue that if UK played low level BCS schools they should beat them. If they beat these types of schools their SOS will increase significantly. If their SOS increases, the bigger bowls will come calling. By doing all of this, you will start landing better recruits. By landing better recruits, your program gets better and makes you more competitive and in a better position to compete with the top teams in the SEC. IMO, it all goes hand-in-hand.
The UK-Pitt game wasn't what I had expected. I am a huge UK sports fan and the boys didn't play as I thought they would.
Stardust Wrote:I have argued against UK's current schedule as well. The point I have tried to make is if you want to get better, beat better opponents. UK has beaten the cupcakes, but those games have done nothing to prepare them for the better teams in the SEC. It would be a different argument if UK was a top echelon team and was taking a break in their schedule. But this all centered around the Bowl game UK plays each season. With their current schedule, their non-conference schedule is too weak to get them out of the bowls that they get each year.

And the final point is about recruiting. If you are a potential recruit, you certainly are looking at the conference that you are playing in as one of your factors of going to a school. But right up there is playing in a Bowl game. I'm pretty sure that the Bowl games that UK gets invited to annually is not doing anything for recruiting.

I'd argue that if UK played low level BCS schools they should beat them. If they beat these types of schools their SOS will increase significantly. If their SOS increases, the bigger bowls will come calling. By doing all of this, you will start landing better recruits. By landing better recruits, your program gets better and makes you more competitive and in a better position to compete with the top teams in the SEC. IMO, it all goes hand-in-hand.
:Thumbs:
Benchwarmer Wrote:a lot of BCS team plays a weak schedule or some weak team. Like Alabama and WV.
Seriously man, again? First of all, Bamas non conference schedule was still tougher than UKs, and second, Bama dont have anything to prove. They play a pre-season top 10 just about every year (Penn State was #14 in the Coaches Poll). They played a number 6 team (Va Tech) to open last year, and a number 9 the year before (Clemson). As far as WVU, if you want to go there, your gonna put down a team that played a 9 win Maryland, and a top 5 LSU for a non-conference schedule? Thats something you'll never see UK doing. Ever. How about finding another team to throw your jabs at?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ok listen I was at the game. I just didn't watch it on tv and speculate why we lost. We lost for two major reasons.

#1. We was not prepared, came out flat and made the wrong decisions. Joker had every reason in the world to make sure UK came out and was ready. But we were anything but. Didn't capitalize on turnovers and made mistakes of our own. The blocked punt was huge and was a deciding factor in the game. Joker calling for a fake punt!!!!! Pitt had that sniffed out before we even came out of the huddle. Horrible decision form our head man. Also, while I know we had Newton in there, why did we never take shots down field? Matthews had a guy playing man on him that was 5'5". Serious match up advantage for UK but we never looked his way. How can Joker and Randy Sanders ignore that? Put all these together and you get the result. Worse UK looked all season.

#2. Mike Hartline. Hartline plays UK wins. All year I have heard people preach about Newton and how he is sooooooooo much better. Well he aint. Newton, right now, just can't make the plays or throws it takes to win. Our coaching staff knew what they were doing when they made Mike the starter at the firstof the year. Even Derrick Locke said it would have been different if Hartline had been under center. Fact is he puts points on the board for us. Whether it be him throwing a touchdown or him getting our offense going, but Hartline makes a positive difference for us.

Now whoever says UK can't win in the Big East is mistaken. How many teams you know of that can lose their starting QB before their bowl game and still look good offensively? I bet Auburn wouldnt score 14 points a game without Cam Newton.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Seriously man, again? First of all, Bamas non conference schedule was still tougher than UKs, and second, Bama dont have anything to prove. They play a pre-season top 10 just about every year (Penn State was #14 in the Coaches Poll). They played a number 6 team (Va Tech) to open last year, and a number 9 the year before (Clemson). As far as WVU, if you want to go there, your gonna put down a team that played a 9 win Maryland, and a top 5 LSU for a non-conference schedule? Thats something you'll never see UK doing. Ever. How about finding another team to throw your jabs at?

Last year, 14 years before that and 22 years before that. Blah Blah, blah.
Alabama had one heck of a non conference schedule.

Alabama Non-conference teams
Power team from the western atheletic San Jose State
National Champion contender every other year, Duke
First year program that will compete for national champ. next year- Georgia State

West Virginia Non_Conferences schedule
A team that could win any BCS conference- Coastal Carolina
Power from the Conference USA-Marshall
A team that year in and year out compete against the best and could beat any team in the SEC- UNLV

Looks like these two teams have one heck of a non-conference schedule.