Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Football vs. Basketball
Football is definitely becoming more popular in Kentucky, but I think that basketball will always be tops, especially in eastern kentucky, because of all the small schools that either don't have a large enough enrollment or don't have the money for a football team!

A perfect example is the 14th Region. You have Buckhorn, Cordia, Jackson City, June Buchanan, Lee County, Riverside Christian, Owsley County, and Wolfe County none of which have a football team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Each sport brin in more money. It is not basketball. The last few basketball games that i have been to, there might be a few 100 there. But at a football game, you will see a 1,000+ at each one.
There are still some school that basketball is still king, but most of these schools have bad or don't have a football team.
cj2561 Wrote:Each sport brin in more money. It is not basketball. The last few basketball games that i have been to, there might be a few 100 there. But at a football game, you will see a 1,000+ at each one.
There are still some school that basketball is still king, but most of these schools have bad or don't have a football team.

I think it varies from school to school. Football games are only played once a week and usually on a Friday. Basketball teams usually have three games a week with many of those games played on Monday or Tuesday. Most high schools will play more home basketball games during a season then they do for football the whole season. It is hard for a paying sports fan to go to every basketball game due to work, economy, etc. As far as bringing in money, the money at the local level does not go to the KHSAA other then the membership fees. The state tournaments are the moneymakers for the KHSAA and they are in this order 1. Boys Sweet Sixteen. 2. Girls Sweet Sixteen. 3. Football. I do think the popularity of the two sports varies with age. I think with people under the age of 35 it is football. Over 35 is basketball. I thinks football may take over but they need to have at least 10,000 to 12, 000 at every football state title game with a great deal of the people there not being from either school. Anyway, what is the big deal. Why can't people support both sports equally and with the same passion. When I was in school, that was how things were done. Recently, people think they can only support one sport.
I know in my school, as it shouldn't be a shock to anyone due to our mediocre football program, that basketball is king. The students get way more excited for a home basketball game than a football game. At our football games you'll see a handful of students in the stand watching the game, but at basketball we have a full student section that is one of the loudest in the 16th region at times. Basketball will probably always be king at my school.
Football. The greatest game ever invented ,and king
in our state of Kentucky.Imo.:Thumbs: