Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egypt's Mubarak resigns after 30-year rule
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/...tml?hpt=T1

Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak stepped down Friday and handed over power to the military -- three decades of his iron-clad rule ended by an 18-day revolution.
In a somber one-minute announcement on state television, Vice President Omar Suleiman said Mubarak had resigned and the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces will "run the affairs of the country."

Things are going to get real interesting in Egypt now. Who or what will fill the void?
So it finally happened. I was sure this was going to be a civil war.
Scary stuff.
I'm glad this is over.
Glad to see this finally be over. For now anyways.
Who do the people have in mind to take over?
I just don't see things turning out good for us here. Have to wait and see.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Who do the people have in mind to take over?

I would suggest that the people haven't remotely thought through the end result of their actions. I would also suggest that it is unlikely that, in the end, the will of the people, assuming they actually have a will (which is highly doubtful), will prevail. Regardless of what Obama and his mouthpieces say, the end result won't be good for Israel or the United States.
I don't think it's over. It's only begun. Now the real power struggle will start to happen in Egypt and I hope democracy wins out but...........

This could get real ugly in the region not just for Israel but all the moderate counties as well
nky Wrote:I don't think it's over. It's only begun. Now the real power struggle will start to happen in Egypt and I hope democracy wins out but...........

This could get real ugly in the region not just for Israel but all the moderate counties as well

I couldnt agree more.
They were so into getting rid of him that the future of the country has not been talked about.
Did anyone else catch all of the badmouthing of Iran by obama and gibbs today.
Its been all over the news. According to gibbs, iran has cut all communication off fearing their people may try to revolt as well hearing what the people of egypt has done. They were pretty much saying iran was scared to death because they know they couldnt handle there people if the people wanted to take over.
The whole region could go crazy. Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, we could see a domino effect here
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I couldnt agree more.
They were so into getting rid of him that the future of the country has not been talked about.
Did anyone else catch all of the badmouthing of Iran by obama and gibbs today.
Its been all over the news. According to gibbs, iran has cut all communication off fearing their people may try to revolt as well hearing what the people of egypt has done. They were pretty much saying iran was scared to death because they know they couldnt handle there people if the people wanted to take over.
I hope Iran revolts again. Good for them. They need to get rid of that crazy *** they got over there.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Who do the people have in mind to take over?
I'll take Billy Clyde back............Oh wait, wrong thread. LOL.
Jordan is fine. They're one of the most stable countries on earth. Yemen is already in a worse place than Egypt. AQ pretty much runs it.

I don't really see this as bad for Israel and the U.S. at all.
Earlier in the week from Jordan,
“Jordan’s King Abdullah has sacked his government in the wake of street protests and has asked his former ex-military adviser Marouf Bakhit to form a new cabinet, an official said.
King Abdullah’s move comes after thousands of Jordanians took to the streets – inspired by the regime ouster in Tunisia and the turmoil in Egypt – and called for the resignation of Prime Minister Samir Rifai who is blamed for a rise in fuel and food prices and slowed political reforms.
That is nothing compared to Egypt. Those stupid people can b**** and moan all they want, they're in a better spot than the U.S. is at the moment.
Don't believe the spin that Mubarak's fall from power has anything to do with the Egyptian huddled masses yearning to be free or that recent events are anything but a disastrous failure of American foreign policy.

This is the latest Jimmy Carter moment for Barack Obama. The current administration was totally caught off guard by Mubarak's fall and they are still clueless about how it happened.

For those, who like our Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, believe that the Muslim Brotherhood is a secular organization and that Egyptian protesters want a Western-style or any-style democracy, read the following column about the results of a Pew public opinion survey taken in Egypt last year.

[INDENT]
Quote:Egypt's conflicting views of democracy and religion

Last year the Pew Research Center Global Attitudes Project conducted a survey of opinion in several Muslim countries. The subject was the proper role of Islam in politics and society. One of the countries surveyed was Egypt, and among other discoveries, the Pew researchers found that 84 percent of Egyptians favor the death penalty for people who leave the Muslim religion.
In another survey, Pew found that 90 percent of Egyptians say they believe in freedom of religion. Pew also found that a majority of Egyptians think democracy, with protections of free speech and assembly, is "preferable to any other kind of government."

How can those attitudes fit together in a democratic post-Mubarak Egypt? It's no wonder so many people can't figure out what is next.

The Pew survey found wide streams of opinion in Egypt that seem at the very least inhospitable to democracy. When asked which side they would take in a struggle between "groups who want to modernize the country [and] Islamic fundamentalists," 59 percent of Egyptians picked the fundamentalists, while 27 percent picked the modernizers. In a country in which the army will likely play a deciding role in selecting the next political leadership, just 32 percent believe in civilian control of the military. And a majority, 54 percent, support making segregation of men and women in the workplace the law throughout Egypt.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/2...z1DrklmWtW
[/INDENT]