Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jay Cutler
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Jay Cutler entered the cafeteria at the Denver Broncos' training facility Thursday afternoon, a notebook full of offensive alignments in one hand and a small, black zip-up pouch in the other. I was far more interested in the pouch: a kit containing a lancet device, blood-glucose meter and test strips – the tools for drawing blood from a fingertip and checking his blood sugars.

After sitting down at a table, the strong-armed quarterback placed the pouch in front of him and began talking about the balancing act that has become the predominant force in his young life.

"This goes everywhere with me," Cutler said, spinning the pouch as though it were a football after he'd just snuck across the goal line. "The first thing I do in the morning is test myself to see where I am, and it's the last thing I do before I go to bed. This whole thing is a little scary sometimes, but it's not like you have a choice. It's part of your life, you know?"

Cutler, who learned of his fate a month ago Thursday, is among the approximately one million Americans suffering from the chronic condition. He found out a couple of weeks shy of his 25th birthday – and almost three years to the day that my son, now nine, was diagnosed. Yes, I know the exact date that everything changed, as do most people I've encountered in the Type I community. Other than the birth of our children, my wife and I regard it as the most significant event in our nearly 17 years of marriage.

Before I try to provide some insight into this often misunderstood and perpetually frustrating illness, and how it might impact Cutler's promising football career, let me make one thing clear: Managing Type I diabetes isn't fun, and I wish my family and the other similarly afflicted friends we've made didn't have to bear the burden. But I'm also well aware that there are many adults and children forced to confront far more tragic circumstances, and I feel extremely fortunate that my son is a happy kid who is thriving in many ways and should have a great, long life ahead of him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms...face051608

For those of you that go through the same things that Jay Cutler goes through each and everyday of your life, I salute you, because you are the toughest SOB's that I know of. For anyone to question the toughness of you or someone like Jay Cutler and his son, they have no clue what toughness is all about!
Wildcatk23 Wrote:How many games did he play in college?

Enough to get noticed by the NFL.
zaga_fan Wrote:Enough to get noticed by the NFL.

OK? Issues Much? I took You off my avatar. It's time to move on.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:OK? Issues Much? I took You off my avatar. It's time to move on.

You may not have noticed...
but I have a Patriots logo beside my avatar and I speak highly of Brady.
You hate on him...
I take up for him...
It's a pretty simple concept.

You took the time out of your day to tribute your avatar to me.
I'm not the one with issues Wink