Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disabled pitcher cut from high school baseball team
16 yrs old and throwing in the 80s. Doesn't make JV or Varsity. This kid was even featured on the cover of ESPN The Magazine and on ESPN.
I smell a major lawsuit.

Good thing Jim Abbott didn't go to this school!

There are two videos

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/ora...eball-team
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
That's really sad. He could have been a great inspiration for his team. Not very smart coaches in my opinion.
^ What's sad is they had the nerve to ask him if he wanted to be the waterboy!!!!
Talk about a slap in the face!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
this is a shame
Amazing how cold and heartlesss some people can be!!!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Especially after the kid gets national attention for his talents.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
As the kid says, his disability was reviewed but his abilities ignored. The comments from the school officials seemed to be gross rationalizations,to defend their staff. It would be nice to seehim play for another school against this school. That way talent and desire could be evaluated. Good lesson for all kids.
I understand everyones disappointment in cutting the young man. But, who would you cut in his place? If the team only allows so many players..I would hate to see my child get cut, just to let him play because of a handicap. Again, I understand the disappointment and it is frustrating for him. But you need to look at it from both sides of the fence. Also, sueing the school is not the answer either.
Crossbones Wrote:I understand everyones disappointment in cutting the young man. But, who would you cut in his place? If the team only allows so many players..I would hate to see my child get cut, just to let him play because of a handicap. Again, I understand the disappointment and it is frustrating for him. But you need to look at it from both sides of the fence. Also, sueing the school is not the answer either.

I agree 100%. I would be embarrassed to be only on the team for motivation or whatever else they would use him for instead of his talents. If there is kids better than him, then he gets cut. What's so hard to understand? Keep him just because he has a disability?
Crossbones Wrote:I understand everyones disappointment in cutting the young man. But, who would you cut in his place? If the team only allows so many players..I would hate to see my child get cut, just to let him play because of a handicap. Again, I understand the disappointment and it is frustrating for him. But you need to look at it from both sides of the fence. Also, sueing the school is not the answer either.

vundy33 Wrote:I agree 100%. I would be embarrassed to be only on the team for motivation or whatever else they would use him for instead of his talents. If there is kids better than him, then he gets cut. What's so hard to understand? Keep him just because he has a disability?

Did you guys even watch the videos? How many 16 year old kids do you know that throw in the 80s? How many do you know that have been featured by ESPN because of their "talents"? I have played/coached/been involved with baseball for tha last 27 years and I can asnwer those for you. TWO: This young man and Bryce Harper.
I know we don't know the entire story. But, from what I have seen and read. Things just don't add up.

Why won't the Coach be interviewed to defend himself? They give a reason why, covering bunts, and the kid says they never did anything close to that. He said all he did was throw. I'm sorry guys. Things just don't add up numbers wise. Must be nice to have a team where EVERY pitcher you have throws in the 80s and also throws the curve for strikes. And I'm guessing a team that size would have at least 8 to 9 pitchers. Even if they do, have all pitchers throwing in the 80s. Looks like having a young kid throwing like that would at least make the JV, where he could be developed for the future.

Now, I do agree with you guys. If EVERYONE else is better....then yes, cut. But, this case just dosen't hold water IMO. Something isn't right.
Come on Bob Seger, JackRabbitSlim, Panther Thunder. Let me hear your guys perspectives on this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
OffTheHook Wrote:Did you guys even watch the videos? How many 16 year old kids do you know that throw in the 80s? How many do you know that have been featured by ESPN because of their "talents"? I have played/coached/been involved with baseball for tha last 27 years and I can asnwer those for you. TWO: This young man and Bryce Harper.
I know we don't know the entire story. But, from what I have seen and read. Things just don't add up.

Why won't the Coach be interviewed to defend himself? They give a reason why, covering bunts, and the kid says they never did anything close to that. He said all he did was throw. I'm sorry guys. Things just don't add up numbers wise. Must be nice to have a team where EVERY pitcher you have throws in the 80s and also throws the curve for strikes. And I'm guessing a team that size would have at least 8 to 9 pitchers. Even if they do, have all pitchers throwing in the 80s. Looks like having a young kid throwing like that would at least make the JV, where he could be developed for the future.

Now, I do agree with you guys. If EVERYONE else is better....then yes, cut. But, this case just dosen't hold water IMO. Something isn't right.
Come on Bob Seger, JackRabbitSlim, Panther Thunder. Let me hear your guys perspectives on this.
Exactly on target Hook.:Clap: I am afraid the people who made this decision were afraid of what this kid "might" not be able to do rather than what he had proved he could do. This all with a political correctness light shining.
Thanks Hustle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
Has the parents decide to put him in another school so he can play?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Send him to paintsville we will take him lol
I can guarantee you about 90% of the coaches would take this kid in a heartbeat.
OffTheHook Wrote:Did you guys even watch the videos? How many 16 year old kids do you know that throw in the 80s? How many do you know that have been featured by ESPN because of their "talents"? I have played/coached/been involved with baseball for tha last 27 years and I can asnwer those for you. TWO: This young man and Bryce Harper.

Come on now...This kid and Bryce Harper don't even belong in the same senternce, no matter what point you are trying to make. Also there are a lot of 16 year old across the country that throw in the 80's.
People always tend to want to jump onto someone/something that someone else has deemed a bad person/organization, what have you. I really don't believe that they cut this kid because of his disability.

The article said that they have had plenty of D1 players come through there over the years, so the competition seems to be tough. I think that he just didn't give them as good as a chance to win as other kids did.

The ESPN thing doesn't matter to me. We all know why he was featured on ESPN. It was because the kid is good, but mainly because the kid is good with his disability.
vundy33 Wrote:People always tend to want to jump onto someone/something that someone else has deemed a bad person/organization, what have you. I really don't believe that they cut this kid because of his disability.

The article said that they have had plenty of D1 players come through there over the years, so the competition seems to be tough. I think that he just didn't give them as good as a chance to win as other kids did.

The ESPN thing doesn't matter to me. We all know why he was featured on ESPN. It was because the kid is good, but mainly because the kid is good with his disability.

Agreed
whats it matter if they have d-1 kids come through. He never said he had any on his team this year. Also i wouldnt believe every hitter the kid faced would bunt if he pitched. Another thing he could of atleast be on the jv team. If i was these kids parent there would be a discrimination case filed immediately.
vundy33 Wrote:People always tend to want to jump onto someone/something that someone else has deemed a bad person/organization, what have you. I really don't believe that they cut this kid because of his disability.

Agreed!! He was cut just like the other 23 or so was cut, because everyone else was better for the team. Reguardless if he could throw 80mph or not, there's more to the game than just throwing the ball. The other kids that tried out and made the team, done a better job at the entire aspect of the game. Again, I hate the young man didn't make it, it's a tough break. But that's how life goes.
foxtrot1 Wrote:Come on now...This kid and Bryce Harper don't even belong in the same senternce, no matter what point you are trying to make. Also there are a lot of 16 year old across the country that throw in the 80's.
Yes FT1 you are exactly correct we probably have at least 40-50 0f these guys in the 15th.
Empathy, Compassion and Respect all wonderful traits in this day of societal bliss.
mr.charlie hustle Wrote:Yes FT1 you are exactly correct we probably have at least 40-50 0f these guys in the 15th.

I'm not sure your point but I sense sarcasm.
I wasn't ignoring this kids disabilty or being insincere. I didnt even watch the videos. I was just making the point that just he and Bryce Harper are the only two high schools guys that another poster remembers being featured by ESPN and he throws 80 mph doesn't really say much. I would venture to say there aren't over 10 guys in the 15th that can touch 80 mph so it is not something to sneeze at. However across the country in baseball rich and talent rich areas there are a lot of 16 year olds that do throw that hard.

Best of luck to the kid. I always hate to see kids get cut from high school teams but at bigger schools it's just the way it is. A coach can't be expected to keep 50 guys on a high school baseball team.
Hate to hear this for the kids sake
I agree, foxtrot. It's just life. If I was the coach, I would've found a spot on the JV though for sure. If the kid has the balls to stick his neck out there and is at least decent, which he is, I'd put him on the team for that reason.

But, like others have said, it's life. Hopefully he'll keep at it and bust it wide open next season or even transfer and get on a team this season. I wish the best for him.
^ Good post vundy. I'm sure the kid does not want someone to feel sorry for him, but isn't this more about work ethic and putting yourself out there? What a great "life lesson" for all the kids involved.
vundy33 Wrote:I agree, foxtrot. It's just life. If I was the coach, I would've found a spot on the JV though for sure. If the kid has the balls to stick his neck out there and is at least decent, which he is, I'd put him on the team for that reason.

But, like others have said, it's life. Hopefully he'll keep at it and bust it wide open next season or even transfer and get on a team this season. I wish the best for him.

This is one of my main points, at least JV. And as another poster said about being on ESPN...He WAS there because of his disability and ABILITY. There are tons of people out there with disabilities playing sports and ESPN isn't doing stories on them. I have seen a few on some college basketball players. I hope the kid transfers and faces this team. And I hope he fields every bunt and smokes them. Cause 16 year olds throwing in the 80s with a deuce for strikes aren't a dime a dozen.

I understand what you are saying though. If he isn't good enough...then cut. But, what has been shown and what I have read. I just don't see him NOT being good enough for at least JV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
Hopefully no one is ever cut for anything other than talent or behavior.