Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pa. teacher strikes nerve with 'lazy whiners' blog
Heaven forbid any tells the truth anymore. Thoughts?

FEASTERVILLE, Pa. – A high school English teacher in suburban Philadelphia who was suspended for a profanity-laced blog in which she called her young charges "disengaged, lazy whiners" is driving a sensation by daring to ask: Why are today's students unmotivated — and what's wrong with calling them out?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110216/ap_o...ended_blog
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
She should get a raise..
This is one person that needs to play the "Freedom of Speech" or "Expression" card. Whatever it is. If anybody deserves it, its this person. I love it. Its about time somebody lit a fire under these lazy kids' ***** and told it like it was. Two thumbs way up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Good teachers have one of the toughest jobs out there. And people wonder why we as a nation are falling behind in academics to countries such as India and China.
:Thumbs:

TidesHoss32 Wrote:This is one person that needs to play the "Freedom of Speech" or "Expression" card. Whatever it is. If anybody deserves it, its this person. I love it. Its about time somebody lit a fire under these lazy kids' ***** and told it like it was. Two thumbs way up.

there ya go
Bravo, the truth hurts sometimes.
It's time to raise expectations instead of lowering to the least common denominator
If you guys know any teachers, ask them about how state mandated tests are "dumbed down" year after year so kids can meet the percentage based requirements of academic achievement set forth by the No Child Left Behind Act.

I applaud this teacher for placing responsibility/fault where it lies, with the youth and/or with the parents who raise them.
BoondockSaint Wrote:If you guys know any teachers, ask them about how state mandated tests are "dumbed down" year after year so kids can meet the percentage based requirements of academic achievement set forth by the No Child Left Behind Act.

I applaud this teacher for placing responsibility/fault where it lies, with the youth and/or with the parents who raise them.
It's not only NCLB but the state's required test as well. They have been modified for the last 20 years to make it look like progress.

Student accountability has to start somewhere. Ask a high school student what the KCCT(CATS Test) means to them. or how it effects their future/grades/graduation
BoondockSaint Wrote:If you guys know any teachers, ask them about how state mandated tests are "dumbed down" year after year so kids can meet the percentage based requirements of academic achievement set forth by the No Child Left Behind Act.

Its all up the children. I know kids who was raised in a 1 bedroom trailer with nothing but dope heads and now has a full scholarship to UK. Then i know kids who has strict parents that require there kids to do there homework and study all while the kid ended up on crack.

Its all up to the kid. His want to and will to better him or herself. Blaming the parents is just an excuse for laziness.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Its all up the children. I know kids who was raised in a 1 bedroom trailer with nothing but dope heads and now has a full scholarship to UK. Then i know kids who has strict parents that require there kids to do there homework and study all while the kid ended up on crack.

Its all up to the kid. His want to and will to better him or herself. Blaming the parents is just an excuse for laziness.

I understand what you are saying, and I know people who have come from nothing to do very well, too.

But the odds are stacked against children with parents who don't encourage the importance of a good education.
ACCOUNTABILITY! Kids and parents need to be held accountable for their school work and behavior. This teacher hit the nail on the head. I teach middle school students and I see this everyday. Kids do nothing wrong in their parents eyes and they blame everyone but who is at fault! Our jails will only see more and more of these types of kids in the future. Discipline is lacking in most cases in the home of these types of kids and they believe nothing should be done to them and act like heathens. We need to take a stand and say enough is enough, you do something wrong, you get punished. No matter who you are or how much money/influence you have!
:devilflam
SSSHHHHHH...LOL

You'll be on Yahoo next...LOL!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
The suspension and this quote in the article from a student or former student makes me sick: "As far as motivated high school students, she's completely correct. High school kids don't want to do anything. ... It's a teacher's job, however, to give students the motivation to learn."

Bull. It is not a teacher's job to give students the motivation to learn. It's a student's responsibility to understand the importance of education and if the student doesn't get it on his/her own, it's the parents' responsibility to kick that student in the butt. I'm so tired of this whole "it takes a village" mentality. Teachers are there to teach; not baby sit, coddle or deal with kids that don't give a hoot. Those students not interested in learning need to be segregated in to some other educational program so the teachers in the mainstream class rooms can concentrate teaching those that want to learn. Personal responsibility is a dying character trait in this country.
^ AMEN!!!! Preach it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Crash Davis
I am sooooooo in agreement, you would not believe what I have seen teachers told to do by their superiors. One time, a 5th grade teacher was holding Math classes responsible for memorizing multiplication tables, then standing and repeating them in front of the class. A parent complained that that would be embarrasing, the principal told the teacher that would not be allowed. REALLY??? What are we doing to our kids?
Another teacher friend of mine held her students accountable for classwork. When students began failing because they just didnt turn in the work, parents complained to the Superintendent of schools after 2 semesters of this, he met with the teacher and told her if she failed another child, she would lose her job...hows that for student accountability!