Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA Rules of Track.
I have been helping out my local high school track team. I have been helping the throwers get better and telling them what they are doing wrong. well when I learned that a coach is not allowed to coach a child while at the regional competition this threw me for a loop. I do not get how you can even justify this rule. Every other sport from grade school to the Olympics or other professional sport a coach can give their athletes while they are on the field. I had to sit and watch my throwers throw and make little mistakes that I usually have to correct them on in practice.they are just freshmen or only been throwing for a few years will have to be reminded time to time. I think it is ridicoulus that you can not talk to your athletes and encourage them and help them along to do their best i know every other sport you can bring your star player over and calm them down or pump them up if they are having a bad day why not track?
FATMAN Wrote:I have been helping out my local high school track team. I have been helping the throwers get better and telling them what they are doing wrong. well when I learned that a coach is not allowed to coach a child while at the regional competition this threw me for a loop. I do not get how you can even justify this rule. Every other sport from grade school to the Olympics or other professional sport a coach can give their athletes while they are on the field. I had to sit and watch my throwers throw and make little mistakes that I usually have to correct them on in practice.they are just freshmen or only been throwing for a few years will have to be reminded time to time. I think it is ridicoulus that you can not talk to your athletes and encourage them and help them along to do their best i know every other sport you can bring your star player over and calm them down or pump them up if they are having a bad day why not track?

I am sure it is due to lack of space on the track and on the infield. Just think of how crowded and unsafe it would be for the athletes and the coaches. It would block the view of the judges and fans. The coaches coach all week, before and after the events. During the competition it is up to the athlete to do what was taught and perform. There is a very big mental aspect in the sport. This is what I loved about the sport, no one to blame but yourself. Good coaches will give plenty of advice/reminders before the athlete goes off to his event.
Well the thing is even in the college level the elite athletes have to have their coaches giving them advice between heats between throws. I mean there was coaches everywhere in the infield measuring events and running jumps. I throw for morehead and i worked my but off every week and at the meets my coach would tell me to make little adjustments and it would help my confidence and my throws would go farther if they had a coaches box like the college meets sometimes do it would be perfect because not all coaches are going to go to each event since it would be impossible.
Why are the rules so different for track an field, coaches are paid to coach not to be spectators, this rule needs to be changed, along with some of the uniform restrictions.
what I do is stand as close as I'm allowed to and make my throwers do is look over at me after every throw. I'll tell/show them what they're doing wrong so they can fix it.