Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basketball Is Weaker Than Ever
In my 21 years I have been watching high school baskteball on a consistent basis for 10 of those years and for 8 or 9 of those years knew enough to judge the calibur of a team. This year basketball as a whole is weaker than I have ever seen it by quite a margin. In the 15th the best team whoever you consider it to be, would not have been a top 5 team in the region 5 years ago. Most teams in the 15th are on about the same level and in all honesty that level is just flat out bad. I still enjoy watching the teams and going to games but I can't help noticing how far basketball has declined in such ahort period. The best team in the region this year would get absolutely hammered by the best team 5 years ago, the best team 10 years ago, the best team 15 years ago, etc... They wouldnt just lose they would lose by atleast 20 in any of those hypothetical games.

What does everyone else think?
You have to play the cards you are dealt. Did you play before IO? You are right bball is the weakest it has ever been in this state. The future does not look ot bright either. I know some of the local and surrounding middle schools are solid but below this it looks very very weak.:Thumbs:
i agree it is week......
Ya know sometimes when teams are so level as far as talent goes, makes the region look weak as a whole. Many teams play better TEAM ball then they did 5 years ago.
I disagree. When was the last time a team in the 15th region had a pg that averaged double figure assist? Athletes are better today but fundamentals are non existent compared to years gone by.
That is somewhat true. Fundamentals don't have the focus they should today, I guess with all the trainnning leagues they think they already know these things, but Im not sure what little ones really learn in trainning leagues. Sorry im not trying to get off subject it just kinda went that way.
I think most of the talent is still there but the attitudes have changed for the worst on the whole.
"Instant Offense" Wrote:In my 21 years I have been watching high school baskteball on a consistent basis for 10 of those years and for 8 or 9 of those years knew enough to judge the calibur of a team. This year basketball as a whole is weaker than I have ever seen it by quite a margin. In the 15th the best team whoever you consider it to be, would not have been a top 5 team in the region 5 years ago. Most teams in the 15th are on about the same level and in all honesty that level is just flat out bad. I still enjoy watching the teams and going to games but I can't help noticing how far basketball has declined in such ahort period. The best team in the region this year would get absolutely hammered by the best team 5 years ago, the best team 10 years ago, the best team 15 years ago, etc... They wouldnt just lose they would lose by atleast 20 in any of those hypothetical games.

What does everyone else think?

I agree IO, but heck I say NONE of this years 15th Region teams would be a top 5 team 3 years ago when you had Paintsville, Shelby Valley, Johnson Central, South Floyd, and Pike Central. All these teams woulda KILLED any of these teams this year.
"THUNDERCHILD" Wrote:Ya know sometimes when teams are so level as far as talent goes, makes the region look weak as a whole. Many teams play better TEAM ball then they did 5 years ago.

I don't think it gets much better than Paintsville and Shelby Valley when it comes to TEAM ball in 2002-03.