Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should College Athletes Be Paid?
What do you think?

Should college athletes be paid? Does it take away from the integrity of the game?

I am going to reserve my judgement for a little while and see what the rest of you think . . . . .
No they shouldn't get paid actual cash if that's what you mean, but they do get paid a full scholarship to go to college which is saving them thousands of dollars in the long run...
No, they get paid with an education, experience, knowledge, popularity which gets them what they want anyway, and all of that good stuff. I wish that I could go to college on a free ride. They save so much money that way. I enjoy college and high school sports better because kids do it for the love of the game, not for the money. If they started paying it would take so much away from the programs.
"thetribe" Wrote:No, they get paid with an education, experience, knowledge, popularity which gets them what they want anyway, and all of that good stuff. I wish that I could go to college on a free ride. They save so much money that way. I enjoy college and high school sports better because kids do it for the love of the game, not for the money. If they started paying it would take so much away from the programs.

i agree, And plus if they started getting paid, itd be The next Nba, witch would be horrible.
No!
I honesty think they should. They are using someone's name and ability to bring money to the school, promoters, coaches, advertising, televisors, etc. Just think of the name power they use to get people to watch an event. It wasn't "Come watch Texas take on USC for the National Championship." It was "Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush take on Vince Young for the National Championship." I think everytime a player's name gets mentioned, or their picture used, to promote an event, they should get paid a royalty from the company or group using them to advertise the event.

An actor doesn't do a commercial for free to advertise a product, why should an athlete?

Also, remember not all athletes are on scholarships.

Students from poor families get tons of financial assistance and a "free ride". Intelligent students also get lots of financial assistance and a "free ride". These students are not doing any extracurricular activities to make money for the school, coaches, advertisers, promoters, televisors, etc., and are getting the same benefits these athletes. The athletes put in hours outside of the classroom, have to keep up their grades, and everything just like any student on financial aid, except they put in time for their sport as well.

Why should EVERYONE affiliated with the game get paid, except for the players?
"Tomcat68" Wrote:I honesty think they should. They are using someone's name and ability to bring money to the school, promoters, coaches, advertising, televisors, etc. Just think of the name power they use to get people to watch an event. It wasn't "Come watch Texas take on USC for the National Championship." It was "Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush take on Vince Young for the National Championship." I think everytime a player's name gets mentioned, or their picture used, to promote an event, they should get paid a royalty from the company or group using them to advertise the event.

An actor doesn't do a commercial for free to advertise a product, why should an athlete?

Also, remember not all athletes are on scholarships.

Students from poor families get tons of financial assistance and a "free ride". Intelligent students also get lots of financial assistance and a "free ride". These students are not doing any extracurricular activities to make money for the school, coaches, advertisers, promoters, televisors, etc., and are getting the same benefits these athletes. The athletes put in hours outside of the classroom, have to keep up their grades, and everything just like any student on financial aid, except they put in time for their sport as well.

Why should EVERYONE affiliated with the game get paid, except for the players?

If College athletes got paid actual cash then as say a salary then that would ruin college athletics as we know it. You are making it sound like big time college athletes struggle to make it in college when in reality they have it easier than anybody...They get the best tutors in the school, and from personal knowledge I know they don't do their own homework half the time...Plus, if you think behind every big program that coaches don't give their players money and extra benefits then you have no clue what really goes on. You should see how most colleges get kids to come to their schools with their recruiting visits...

They are bringing money to the school, but then a ton of the money goes back to paying the student athletes to be there..Imagine how much money the guys at Duke save by being on a scholly...Undergraduate tuition at Duke is almost $ 30,000 per year plus almost $ 9,000 room and board..Then not to mention the benefits of being a player...So they are getting paid, they are getting a free education and exposure to go to the next level...and if you think these guys struggle with money then you're kidding yourself because the coaches and boosters make sure they're doing ok...
I never said they struggle with money. But, why should everyone else make money off of them. And if they are getting extra money then that is illegal right there. We can't go off a basis of hearsay that such and such gets money. Because I can ensure you that every player does not. Also, this isn't in response to only the top teams in the nation. It is for EVERY college team. They should be getting a small percentage of the enormous amount of money being made off of them.
"Tomcat68" Wrote:I never said they struggle with money. But, why should everyone else make money off of them. And if they are getting extra money then that is illegal right there. We can't go off a basis of hearsay that such and such gets money. Because I can ensure you that every player does not. Also, this isn't in response to only the top teams in the nation. It is for EVERY college team. They should be getting a small percentage of the enormous amount of money being made off of them.

Smile The money goes to the University for scholarships and to fund University spending..It's not just going straight to people's pockets...Yes getting extra money is illegal but it happens everyday...I can ensure you that most big time players do...So you think even NAIA players should get paid even though they attract about 10 fans per game?
i could go either way, they do get paid with education, but they also could use the money, they might have money problems of some sort, family problems, stuff like that.
I dont think they should get paid for playing....School officials should give small financial assistance to non-scholarship athletes that are struggling possibly, but that would be all.
Nahh... they get a scholarship
There is no way college athletes should get paid
"thetribe" Wrote:No, they get paid with an education, experience, knowledge, popularity which gets them what they want anyway, and all of that good stuff. I wish that I could go to college on a free ride. They save so much money that way. I enjoy college and high school sports better because kids do it for the love of the game, not for the money. If they started paying it would take so much away from the programs.

I agree 110%
I think the 10 to 20 thousand dollars (their scholarship) a year depending on which school you're going to is enough.
I am torn on this one.

A scholarship to certain schools is worth a LOT of money. And if they took school a little more seriously, that education could mean a lot more money down the line.

But on the other side of things--these universities make a LOT of money off of these athletes. In some cases (but NOT most), the universities make a lot more money than the worth of a scholarship.

I need to think about this one a little more.
The Universities give scholarships to more people than just the athletes so they have to make some money some way.. a scholarship to get an education is a lot to receive to play a sport
Clooege athletes are paid for their hard work and dedication with Championships and the possibility of going pro. Not to mention the free ride they had to school.
No,
yes they should be paid but there should be a small limit to what they could be paid
i don't think they should be paid, because its not going to deter a college athlete from going pro anyways, the amount of money would never be enough to satisfy him. And this would open a can of worms because soon the best college players would be negotiating for salaries, or the amount of money to be paid. I think it would destroy the integrity of the game. And for all we know, they probably make a nice living anyways, lol
It's a no-win argument as I see it.

You can bring up the idea that the players get paid just for playing... but then there will be the guys with the scholarships profiting more than the walk-ons.

You can say that everyone should get a scholarship and let that be the payment... but then that could turn into an unfair recruiting tool for the bigger schools.

You can bring up the idea that players get paid based on using their image to promote the games, school, etc... but then the bigger schools get an unfair advantage over the smaller, non-nationally televised schools.

It could also be said the players could be paid a portion of the attendance, merchandising, concession... but that goes back to the bigger school getting an advantage over the smaller school. Which in turn provides an unfair recruiting advantage.

Another point of view would be to pay the college players at least minimum wage for their time in offical practice and at the games. The average college student with a scholarship, aside from study time, could go out and get a job to make extra cash. Could a college athlete do the same? They study, they practice to stay good enough keep their scholarship... but would they be even permitted to get a part time job if time allowed for it?

Paying amateur athletes is actually, in my opinion, an oxymoron. Once they are paid, they lose their amateur status. Besides, if I am correct, they are given a stipend for the road trips, not to mention being given transportation (bus/plane) and a hotel for the night. But again, bigger schools can allow for better treatment than smaller schools.

So, I guess my point is, there seems to be no clear cut, fair way to do it that would not provide an advantage for one school over the other. Unless, of course, the money was being provided in the way of grants... but then that would be unfair to us taxpayers.
If any thing a thousand dolloars a semseter
I dont think they should because the players not getting paid means the only reason there playing in casue of the passion of the game, i think this is what makes college sports so great....
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:What do you think?

Should college athletes be paid? Does it take away from the integrity of the game?

I am going to reserve my judgement for a little while and see what the rest of you think . . . . .

:nope:
I don't believe that college players chould be paid in anyway while in college. I think that it does take away from the integrity of the game. Not only that but most of the higher profile athletes in college had scholorships to play in the first place, so how much money should the schools "dish" out to them?
No they shouldnt get paid cash but i think they should get there room and board payed for
"MCHS_FBALL#14" Wrote:No they shouldnt get paid cash but i think they should get there room and board payed for

They do..:watch:
If they get a scholarship that is great payment. I mea a free ride through college only for playing. Well enough pay right there.And 4 years to prepare them for possibly a career in sports.
i dont think they should be paid by the university. But whether anyone likes it or not they get paid in discret ways. UK alum and fans give money to the players and buy them gadgets and other things. the guys ride mopeds to class for goodness sakes.