Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Player Dies After Hitting Game Winner
Mich. High School Basketball Star Dies After Winning Shot

Published March 04, 2011
| FoxNews.com
Print Email Share Comments (22) Text Size

AP

March 3: Teammates hoist Wes Leonard up after he hit the game-winning basket as the Fennville (Mich.) Blackhawks celebrate their victory against the Bridgman Bees, bringing their record to 20-0.
A western Michigan high school basketball player collapsed on the court and later died after making the game-winning shot to finish off his team's perfect season.

Holland Hospital spokeswoman Deb Patterson says 16-year-old Fennville High School basketball player Wes Leonard died Thursday night. An autopsy will be conducted to determine a cause of death.

Patterson says paramedics performed CPR on Leonard before he was pronounced dead at the hospital.

The Holland Sentinel reported that Leonard had scored the game-winning layup in a 57-55 win over Bridgman in overtime to cap Fennville's 20-0 season. Leonard fell to the ground after teammates and fans rushed the court.

Immediately after the game, dozens of classmates, friends and family members posted on Facebook, asking for prayers and support, Fox17.com reported.

According to the website, the final Facebook posting from the standout athlete was Wednesday night when he posted, "Got a good long shower...ready for bed and game tomorrow!"

The newspaper says Leonard was also a quarterback on the high school football team.

Fennville is about 200 miles west of Detroit
this is very sad, shows you dont know when its your time...
I read about this online this morning. What a terrible tragedy!!
This kid was only 16 years old, hadn't even started his life yet.
Wow, this is disheartening. Certainly grounds you when too often we over glamorize the game and forget about the lives.
this is awful...
Wow. Very sad. Thoughts/Prayers go out to this young mans family.
A western Michigan high school basketball player collapsed on the court amid his teammates and celebrating fans and later died after making the game-winning shot that capped his team's perfect season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highschoo...NHeadlines
That's absolutely terrible....
Prayers go out to the family.
Horrible tragedy. Thoughts & prayers to his family & friends.
This is just horrible to hear! The kid was the star of the basketball and football team! Thoughts and prayers are with the family.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
When I read this story, my heart actually hurt. What a terrible terrible thing to have happened. This child was only 16 years old, and just starting his life. I can't imagine what his family is enduring right now.

Prayers and hopeful thoughts go out to the family. Wish I could do something for them.
I've never heard of anything like this happening, very sad news. Prayers and thoughts with this family.
Thoughts and prayers going out to his family and friends.
My prayers go out to the young man's family.
I dont even know if I could play the next game if i was one of his teammates.
I really hate to hear this. Thoughts and prayers go out to the family and the ones around him.
Just saw the news feed about this on ESPN and they mentioned that he died from cardiac arrest due to an enlarged heart, so sad to hear.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
My thoughts and prays go out to his family and friends, has to be devastating to his teammates.
It was even more heartbreaking to see on ESPN. I pray for the guidance and help for these people to get through this.
Horrible tragedy.. Thoughts and prayers goes out to the friends and family.. So sad..
neverguesswhoiam Wrote:I've never heard of anything like this happening, very sad news. Prayers and thoughts with this family.

It happens more often than you realize. Same thing happened to one of my close friends at Rose Hill about five years ago, David Garnes. He died while we were practiceing basketball.
I did a paper on Cardiomyopathy in college. Hank Gathers, Reggie Lewis are two of the most famous cases.
Very sad. I am praying for the family.
This was incredibly sad.

Thoughts and Prayers with the family & the team.
One of the worst stories I;ve ever heard, This is tragic.