Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jon Stewart calling out hypocrisy of Fox News
tvtimeout Wrote:[quote=TheRealThing]Okay, let me try again. There was a time when the trades folks HAD to take tremendous risks to make what was at that time a very meager wage. Working hundreds of feet in the air on the side of some skyscraper for instance. No fall protection, no bathroom facility, no breaks, about a 15 min lunch etc. Also, if one wanted to keep the job he had he bowed his neck and worked like there was no tomorrow. If he didn't he ascended to the top of the lay off list as they say. Every worker routinely took life threatening risks to perform his daily grind. Mines with little or no thought to safety, working in dusts and chemicals that eventually killed them all. I can provide examples to substantiate the point Ad Nauseum if you like.

Men like these that I have mentioned, formed unions so that they could bargain as effectively as possible for wages and conditions. I mean they were on their own when they stood before the Man in those days. As a result, it was easy to be treated badly standing there on your own. The idea was a good one as it turns out, and decent folks got what is described by Union Men these days as a "FAIR DAYS' WORK FOR A FAIR DAYS' PAY"

Not to in anyway say that teachers, state highway workers, government clerks and secretaries, grounds keepers, janitors and on it could neccessrarily go, don't deserve to make it in this world too. But, if a state employee tried to get up and say he was being abused, my guess is that he'd be laughed to scorn. Union folks blazed the way for all Americans by their courage and insight.

Now to your point regarding why you can't have the same benefits.
1 Your work isn't dangeroius
2 Your work isn't long
3 Your work isn't hard
4 You're off more days than you work each year
5 You have tenure. After 10 years even the President himself can't touch you
6 You have a darn good retirement
7 You have darn good health insurance and life insurance
8 The harshest evironmental hazard you face is second hand smoke in the restroom
9 You get paid vacation and holidays, personal days, sick days
10 You get very good pay
You tell me did I miss anything?

The union folks I know get the following;
1 Health insurance that they pay a lot for
2 A check if they work, no check if they don't (good pay)
3 A pension that they pay an hourly $ amount for
4 A swift kick in the pants when they get too old to cut the mustard
5 Total paid days off each year, counting Christmas----ZERO

I suppose we are both confused at this point. Tell me again why you need to be a union member so you can get the benefits I get? Again I say a state job is to die for because in this country government backed jobs are the very best bar none.[/QUOTE]

Depends, I will get blamed for us not comparing with China from an educational standpoint by most in the US and certainly on some Fox Channel:biggrin: However, what most of the US and Fox either chooses to look the other way or they are simple ignorant is the fact, we educate every single person in the US. China does not. If I take our top ten percent and educate them, then as they say we compare apples to apples.

However, it will be spun to say teachers are the cause of this, it is their fault. They are over paid, they have so much time off, some of the points you made earlier, but now that you know the truth about them, I would bet you don't feel the same way, but then again maybe you do.

One of the main reasons I joined this site is so I could get a better understanding of the people in our region and open my eyes to what you see and hear. So, I thank you again for sharing them and I want you to know that I respect them.

I really want to be as responsible and respectful to you as I can when I say this. For the record I like teachers very much and value their contributions. I don't think they are overpaid, and you certainly can't help it if the school year runs for 9 and a half months but, you just did what I hate and that is to 'spin' my comments.

People can't legislate themselves into an idyllic, happy for life, existance, through the government, or unions, or a mixture of both. That's what this whole thing in Wisconsin looks like to me. The perfect one two punch of government and the union contract that will take one to financial freedom, and all you have to do is vote for everything you want. It's almost like people are trying to merge the unions and the federal government. The law of supply and demand is what drives the market in this land, not contracts. That is unless Obama really does succeed in "fundamentally transforming" our country. My contract might state that I get all kinds of benefits and perks, but if my employer doesn't have work then I don't have work, or benefits. You can bet employers don't let uneeded labor stand around telling jokes for long no matter how good their contract might be.

There is no short cut to success. But here in this country there is opportunity. The hourly worker deserves to live a respectable lifestyle taking his contribution and his sacrifice into account. That is all unions do, give decent folks a chance. The emergence of unions on the scene in this country and the circumstances surrounding those days are a matter of recorded history. I really don't want to offend anyone at all but, to me, teacher unions are out of place, all square pegs in round holes. As I said earlier a misapplication of a good idea because service providing workers don't have the moral right to strike. Which is at the core of collective barganing. What are you going to use to bring pressure to bear if not refuse to work? There is no way that would be right because you would at that time be using your students as hostages. I know highjackers take hostages when they negotiate, it has the advantage headlines and results though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
To the ones that don't know how to post quotes correctly, please go to the test section before trying to post quotes. It get's very confusing when you quote posts that you didn't intend too. For example, "therealthing", you quoted yourself.
tvtimeout Wrote:I am going to take this one by one, let us start with number 6: good retirement, did you know teachers in this state pay into a different account than anyone else? That our account was fully funded by teachers and the Commonwealth of Kentucky borrowed money against our account and never paid it back, making our account a deficit. Did you know that teachers can not receive S.S benefits?

So I pay into a different account, government comes in takes from that account and never repays, and I am never allowed to have S.S. even though every check I pay into S.S. ... good retirement.
KY teachers don't pay into SS. I know several retired KY teachers that didn't pay into SS, and can't draw from it.
Many teachers and other public employees retire at a relatively young age and then "double dip" by taking jobs as government contractors. They system is broken.
TheRealVille Wrote:To the ones that don't know how to post quotes correctly, please go to the test section before trying to post quotes. It get's very confusing when you quote posts that you didn't intend too. For example, "therealthing", you quoted yourself.

I punched the quote tab on his post on page 2, which was in response to my post that he quoted. Why my post popped up there along with his is a mystery to me, it's not supposed to do that. I see what you're saying, actually the last three sentences (starting with the word depends) in that quote box, are tv times' words. How did his response get put into the same quote box with my post? Didn't mean for that to happen. My original post is #49 and my post # 61 was in response to those three sentences. Sorry for the confusion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:KY teachers don't pay into SS. I know several retired KY teachers that didn't pay into SS, and can't draw from it.

Question on my check stub right in front of me there is medicare deduction, Fit and Sit deduction, none of those deductions go to S.S?

Second question, if my wife passes on, I can not receive her S.S benefits why?

Third Question: I also did work in the private sector before becoming a teacher, while a teacher I have started a side business, and will after I teach continueto work in the private sector, but I will never get to draw S.S., why?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Many teachers and other public employees retire at a relatively young age and then "double dip" by taking jobs as government contractors. They system is broken.

I do agree teacher's retire relatively early, new teachers must follow the rule of 85 now though, I don't for see that a problem going forward, but only time will tell.
TheRealThing Wrote:[quote=tvtimeout]

I really want to be as responsible and respectful to you as I can when I say this. For the record I like teachers very much and value their contributions. I don't think they are overpaid, and you certainly can't help it if the school year runs for 9 and a half months but, you just did what I hate and that is to 'spin' my comments.

People can't legislate themselves into an idyllic, happy for life, existance, through the government, or unions, or a mixture of both. That's what this whole thing in Wisconsin looks like to me. The perfect one two punch of government and the union contract that will take one to financial freedom, and all you have to do is vote for everything you want. It's almost like people are trying to merge the unions and the federal government. The law of supply and demand is what drives the market in this land, not contracts. That is unless Obama really does succeed in "fundamentally transforming" our country. My contract might state that I get all kinds of benefits and perks, but if my employer doesn't have work then I don't have work, or benefits. You can bet employers don't let uneeded labor stand around telling jokes for long no matter how good their contract might be.

There is no short cut to success. But here in this country there is opportunity. The hourly worker deserves to live a respectable lifestyle taking his contribution and his sacrifice into account. That is all unions do, give decent folks a chance. The emergence of unions on the scene in this country and the circumstances surrounding those days are a matter of recorded history. I really don't want to offend anyone at all but, to me, teacher unions are out of place, all square pegs in round holes. As I said earlier a misapplication of a good idea because service providing workers don't have the moral right to strike. Which is at the core of collective barganing. What are you going to use to bring pressure to bear if not refuse to work? There is no way that would be right because you would at that time be using your students as hostages. I know highjackers take hostages when they negotiate, it has the advantage headlines and results though.

When I was discussing my points earlier all I was talking about Kentucky Teachers, because that is what I know, I am not concerned with Wisconsin their mess their problem, but I care deeply about this Commonwealth, which is our mess and our problem.

See I would agree with you except local politics come into play. For an example coaching job comes open, the coach is exceptional, but his wife needs a job. So without a union, this wife would be hired and could replace any teacher. Also, let us say people on the local school board, their family members need jobs, so you cut other teachers and problem solved. A local politician brother's wife needs a job, another example. Or Site base council member family member needs a job.

Or let us say the school really wanted to save money to get its contingency fund up for whatever, cut a teacher raise the money. Now some on here will say what is the harm in that, and I will tell you the harm is not neccessarly the teacher getting cut, but the risk of a larger class size. I could go on and on why that is a really bad concept for the students.

I knew and know that you mean no harm in your posts and I don't take it personal. I just want people in the Commonwealth really to think about what they want and what they are willing to accept.

Right now, the Commonwealth of Kentucky is facing a shortfall in revenue, because of medicaide. We must ask ourselves what do we sacrifice, education or medicaide? Which one is more important? If you are Dr, Dentist, Eye-Dr. or Lawyer, you will choose the later. If you a parent of a child, and want a better life for them, well you decide. If you are a shop owner, are you willing to trust the government for payments on medicaide or would you rather have a teacher, spending real money (the tax payers) money and you get some of it back?
TheRealThing Wrote:[quote=tvtimeout]

Except in oil:biggrin:
^ Just curious tvtimeout, are you working today?
Bob Seger Wrote:^ Just curious tvtimeout, are you working today?

:thatsfunn

I realize that I have written alot of posts by 98% of them was either Friday evening/Saturday/Sunday.

This makes #3 for today. The other two were during lunch both in the Nuclear Thread.

How are you doing?
tvtimeout Wrote:Question on my check stub right in front of me there is medicare deduction, Fit and Sit deduction, none of those deductions go to S.S?

Second question, if my wife passes on, I can not receive her S.S benefits why?

Third Question: I also did work in the private sector before becoming a teacher, while a teacher I have started a side business, and will after I teach continueto work in the private sector, but I will never get to draw S.S., why?
If you are a KY teacher, no you can not draw Social Security. Those abbreviations are for Federal Income Tax, State income tax, and Medicare. You WILL NOT draw social security.
TheRealVille Wrote:If you are a KY teacher, no you can not draw Social Security. Those abbreviations are for Federal Income Tax, State income tax, and Medicare. You WILL NOT draw social security.

Even though, I currently pay into it, in my private sector job along with me being a Kentucky Teacher... that is fair. I have paid into to when I paid my way through college. I also have 20 quarters paid in, just sayin.

(Also, I knew I could not draw S.S, )
Bob Seger Wrote:^ Just curious tvtimeout, are you working today?

I started to ask the same question last Friday, but I thought tv may be on spring break. :biggrin: