Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gary Parrish of CBS is reporting John Pelphrey may be out at Arkansas!
Gary Parrish of CBS is reporting that Arkansas my have finally found a way to fire Pelphrey without buying his contract out. It appears Pelphrey had illegal contact with 2012 recruit Archie Goodwin (also a UK target).
he's not done much since arriving there. wouldn't be surprised if he was out or if they give him one more year.
That article is absolutely hilarious. This secondary violation has no impact on the decision. Secondary violations happen all the time. More than likely, a decision was made before this news ever broke. A secondary violation will not be the tipping point on a decision wuch as this. Mistake? Yes. Fireable offense? No.

The writer has no knowledge or insight into the program. He discredits himself by saying that he earned 2 more years with this recruiting class, and now this is going to change all of that. Just looking to get hits on his story. Just from reading message boards, the talks have been in motion for weeks. Something this minor (as it appears to be), will not a be a deciding factor in the U of A's decision on whether or not to retain the current Head Coach.
Panther Thunder Wrote:That article is absolutely hilarious. This secondary violation has no impact on the decision. Secondary violations happen all the time. More than likely, a decision was made before this news ever broke. A secondary violation will not be the tipping point on a decision wuch as this. Mistake? Yes. Fireable offense? No.

The writer has no knowledge or insight into the program. He discredits himself by saying that he earned 2 more years with this recruiting class, and now this is going to change all of that. Just looking to get hits on his story. Just from reading message boards, the talks have been in motion for weeks. Something this minor (as it appears to be), will not a be a deciding factor in the U of A's decision on whether or not to retain the current Head Coach.

I think your missing the point. If they fire him outright they have to pony up a large buy out of his contract. My understanding is that if he commits any type of violation even if it is secondary in nature the univeristy reserves the right to fire him without having to buy out his contract. Your are right in that this secondary violation is not the tipping point in the university's decision but it does give them some reason and save them a lot of money.
Joneslab Wrote:I think your missing the point. If they fire him outright they have to pony up a large buy out of his contract. My understanding is that if he commits any type of violation even if it is secondary in nature the univeristy reserves the right to fire him without having to buy out his contract. Your are right in that this secondary violation is not the tipping point in the university's decision but it does give them some reason and save them a lot of money.
Don't tell me I'm missing the point. I have followed this situation in its entirety. I am positive that this have no bearing on the University of Arkansas' decision. All it does is give them another "reason" to give to the media who are ignorant of the situation. It may look like it has relevance, but it simply does not.

And to compare this to Bruce Pearl? You've gotta be kidding me. A kid's mom asks for a picture and the request is granted. Violation? Yes. But no even in the same ballpark as having recruits over to your house for a party, asking them to pretend that never happened, lying to the NCAA about the event, etc... It is ludicrous to compare the two violations.

Which backs up my point that it has no influence on The U of A's decision. Pearl is still the coach at UT for numerous major violations. If that did not get him axed (yet). Then a small secondary violation is not going to be the straw that broke the camels back in this instance. Money is not a factor this far along in the process. It is whether or not they believe they can win at a high level with the coach they have. If they decide no, then that is fair, but it will not be based on this incident.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Don't tell me I'm missing the point. I have followed this situation in its entirety. I am positive that this have no bearing on the University of Arkansas' decision. All it does is give them another "reason" to give to the media who are ignorant of the situation. It may look like it has relevance, but it simply does not.

And to compare this to Bruce Pearl? You've gotta be kidding me. A kid's mom asks for a picture and the request is granted. Violation? Yes. But no even in the same ballpark as having recruits over to your house for a party, asking them to pretend that never happened, lying to the NCAA about the event, etc... It is ludicrous to compare the two violations.

Which backs up my point that it has no influence on The U of A's decision. Pearl is still the coach at UT for numerous major violations. If that did not get him axed (yet). Then a small secondary violation is not going to be the straw that broke the camels back in this instance. Money is not a factor this far along in the process. It is whether or not they believe they can win at a high level with the coach they have. If they decide no, then that is fair, but it will not be based on this incident.

First, you did miss my point and the underlying point of the whole issue. Secondly, not once in my response did I disagree with you or say you were wrong on anything you stated. In fact I agreed with you. Thirdly, to think that this secondary violation couldn't have any influence on if they keep Pelphrey or fire him is irrational. Especially if a decision has not been made. IMO they may be leaning toward letting him go. Obviously, some at the university want him out. Obviously, the majority of the fanbase wants him out. If that is the case then taking advantage of a clause in his contract that could save the university and state a lot of money isn't all that unresaonable. Its all about spin control and preception. It's the perfect out if they want to take advantage. Sorry, if your intense following of the situation in its entirety doesn't allow you to think that is possible. But you are entitled to your opinion and I can respect it. However, you know what they say about opinions........
Its simple. Ive been a diehard, long time Hogs basketball fan since you UK fans stole Sutton from us in '85. ANYWAYS, it all boils down to whether or not the Hogs feel they can steal Mike Anderson away from Missouri. Anderson should have been the guy they hired when they fired Nolan Richardson after 2002, but they went with a hot commodity (Stan Heath had just led Kent State to an Elite 8 appearance). Anyways, if they feel they can land Mike Anderson, then Pelphrey can pack his bags. If not, then I believe he will stay one more year, and anything less than 25 wins and a Sweet 16, and he's gone after next year. I like John Pelphrey, but honestly, he was hired in Fayetteville because he was the only guy that would take the job. After Billy Clyde and Dana Altman backed out, they had to hire someone quickly. I would LOVE to see them land Mike Anderson though. Anderson was Richardsons right hand man for many, many years, and has close ties to the program.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Its simple. Ive been a diehard, long time Hogs basketball fan since you UK fans stole Sutton from us in '85. ANYWAYS, it all boils down to whether or not the Hogs feel they can steal Mike Anderson away from Missouri. Anderson should have been the guy they hired when they fired Nolan Richardson after 2002, but they went with a hot commodity (Stan Heath had just led Kent State to an Elite 8 appearance). Anyways, if they feel they can land Mike Anderson, then Pelphrey can pack his bags. If not, then I believe he will stay one more year, and anything less than 25 wins and a Sweet 16, and he's gone after next year. I like John Pelphrey, but honestly, he was hired in Fayetteville because he was the only guy that would take the job. After Billy Clyde and Dana Altman backed out, they had to hire someone quickly. I would LOVE to see them land Mike Anderson though. Anderson was Richardsons right hand man for many, many years, and has close ties to the program.

Trust us if we knew what was going to happen when we stole Sutton from you guys, I promise you that we would have let him pig suie all he wanted and stayed out of Lexington.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
someone in Arkansas has offered to pay the buyout so the school dont have to, and from inside source that played at school said decision has already been made, just waiting for the right time, and that was just a minor violation.
I saw reports today that mentioned Travis Ford as a potential replacement!?!? I think that this is kind of crazy to think of with Ford moving from basketball rich (and booster rich) Ok St. program for Arkansas. I am not for sure if too many people would agree but I think that this is a little bit of a lateral move for Travis. He really should stay put, build up that recruiting that and continue to build OSU before making anytype of big time move.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This looks just like the BCG days