Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Positive Poole
TAMPA, Fla. - Life as a former Top 50 recruit that has been relegated to cheerleader isn’t the glamorous one young athletes certainly expect. Past accolades seem so much further away than just a year ago, a distant memory buried under self-doubt and confusion.

Stacey Poole doesn’t expect you to feel sorry for him though, because he doesn’t feel sorry for himself. On the contrary, he hopes what everyone sees is a young man willing to support his teammates and patiently wait for his moment in the sun.

As the freshman guard sat in Kentucky’s locker room on the eve of the Cats’ first NCAA Tournament game he laughed freely with teammates and spoke honestly about a freshman season that surely hasn’t been what he expected when he was rated the No. 33 player in the 2010 recruiting class by Rivals.com.

AdChoices

“I enjoy this man and I’m happy for these guys to be doing what they doing,” Poole said. “We’re winning and I’m going to keep being supportive and enthusiastic and keep a big smile on my face.”

Whereas some young men who are used to stardom sulk when adversity hits, Pole has done the opposite. He is often the first reserve to leap off the bench after a big play and almost without fail is the first guy to meet teammates as they come off the court for timeouts. It’s also not uncommon to see the Jacksonville, Fla. native in the middle of the post-introductions huddle leading the Cats’ final pow-wow before tip.

Poole doesn’t do it to score point with the coaching staff, but rather to show he understands this isn’t just about him.

“It’s been important because I’m not the type of guy when things are not going your way that I’m going to hate on the other person,” Poole said. “I was a little down but I’m not going to stay down. I’ve got to keep my head up. I’m not going to lose my confidence, ever. I’m still that Top 40 in the country guy that everyone saw.”

It hasn’t been an easy road for Poole. The 6-foot-4 guard has played just 45 minutes all season and only four since Jan. 15. He has not dented any statistical column since grabbing a rebound in that Jan. 15 victory over LSU and has not logged more than four minutes since before New Year’s.

All that said, Poole insisted he’s going to keep his eyes forward and work to be a part of the Cats’ rotation in the future.

“It’s easy to just stop working and lose confidence and not be into it but I’m not that kind of guy,” Poole said. “I’m not going to let something like this ring me down that I’ve worked so hard for my entire life. I’m not going to let a couple of months of adversity bring me down. I’m going to keep my head up and keep my confidence.”
Loved reading this!! Thanks!! I am so happy that Poole is this kind of kid. You could tell the whole year that he is not one to think that this whole season/team was all about his 4 star rating. He has things he has to work on and once he knew that he was not where Cal thinks that he needed to be, he has patiently waited and been an amazing teammate!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I dont know why Cal hasnt tried to play poole more this season.
In home gmaes where we played crappy competetion i would have liked to seen what this guy could do.
I know he cant be worse than hood and hood sees playing time quite a bit, especially when foul trouble happens.
Bolt Wrote:I dont know why Cal hasnt tried to play poole more this season.
In home gmaes where we played crappy competetion i would have liked to seen what this guy could do.
I know he cant be worse than hood and hood sees playing time quite a bit, especially when foul trouble happens.

I totally agree.
Poole should be playing some... I for one think he'd do a better job than Polson or Hood.
If Cal saw something he in, then he would be playing.
Bolt Wrote:I dont know why Cal hasnt tried to play poole more this season.

I agree completely. It worked having Bledsoe and Wall on the floor together last year and we were not that much oversized. Poole will likely be gone next season, and will will never have known how good he could have been in a UK uniform.
I have to give Cal credit for this. The players that he doesn't play and the players that he releases/allows-to-transfer do not have great success elsewhere. I would hope that Poole Jr. would work on what needs to be worked on and find success.
I take it by some opinions on here that Poole is gone next year? I sure hope not!
Stardust Wrote:I agree completely. It worked having Bledsoe and Wall on the floor together last year and we were not that much oversized. Poole will likely be gone next season, and will will never have known how good he could have been in a UK uniform.

Yea and letss hope he doesnt transfer somewhere and burn us in a couple of years.
Its obvious the kids athletic and is built like a rock. I say put him in some. Wouldnt it be great if the kid come in a game and took it over in the tourney.
LWC Wrote:I have to give Cal credit for this. The players that he doesn't play and the players that he releases/allows-to-transfer do not have great success elsewhere. I would hope that Poole Jr. would work on what needs to be worked on and find success.

I think he is! I know that he is a pretty level headed kid and I know that he is always really happy on the bench. I think that he is patiently waiting and knows that he can not expect to become the player to get the next level by playing the same way he did in high school. He will get better, he will change, and he will be a big part of this team in the near future!
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Awesome!! It's hard to find a highly recruited person to be so understanding! And I give credit to his guardians!!! It takes a man to sit and know you should be playing and to be so positive about not getting playing time at all. And whenever you see him sitting on the bench he is ALWAYS smiling and supporting his team.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I don't think he's going to transfer. In the article he was talking about looking forward to being in the rotation in the future. I don't think he's that kind of kid.
Ballers Wrote:I totally agree.
Poole should be playing some... I for one think he'd do a better job than Polson or Hood.

I agree with you, definitely better than Polson and probably Hood too!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I really hope this kid sticks with it or gets the chance to. He is athletic as **** and can jump out the gym. I look forward to see him getting his chance to play and show his stuff.